1988 Monte Carlo SS
LS1/T56 Change-over Main Index
here for LS1 detailed initial Phase I Swap cost data
Click here for updated Phase II complete modification costs (NEW!)
Create an EFI V-8 manual transmission RWD mid-sized car the way GM should have, capable of 12 second 1/4 mile performance with minimal mods, 20+ MPG on the highway and pass exhaust emissions tailpipe testing.
(links will be established on underlined items below with pic's and descriptions)
Phase I - Install stock LS1/T56 drivetrain to verify G-body fitment.
- fabricate custom engine motor mounts
- fabricate custom transmission rear mount/crossmember
- install 8.5" 3.73 posi rear end and custom length driveshaft
- install G-body clutch linkage and adapt F-body hydraulics
- fabricate and install custom 58 PSI fuel system
- install new cooling system with GN/TR electric fan set-up
- fabricate/re-locate A/C lines as required for proper fitment
- re-wire PCM connections for this application
- connect engine PCM and splice existing wiring
Phase II - Drivetrain Modification.
- install LS6 intake manifold
- install custom high lift camshaft
- fabricate custom equal length headers
- fabricate custom 3" true dual exhaust
- install ported cylinder heads
- re-calibrate PCM as required
Project Daily Updates
In an effort to make this document more user friendly I am now segregating the project updates by month so for those who are only interested in the latest updates please click on the latest month shown below and you'll go directly to that page!
December '00 updates click here
January '01 updates click here
February '01 updates click here
March '01 updates click here
April '01 updates click here
May '01 updates click here
June '01 updates click here
July '01 updates click here
August '01 updates click here
September '01 updates click here
October '01 updates click here
November '01 updates click here
December '01 updates click here
January '02 updates click here
February '02 updates click here
March '02 updates click here
April '02 updates click here
May '02 updates click here
June '02 updates click here
July '02 updates click here
August '02 updates click here
September '02 updates click here
October '02 updates click here
November '02 updates click here
I am discontinuing the monthly updates for now since the overall modifications to Phase II are complete. I will be updating the Project Plan links on the top of this page shortly so that the whole swap will be in summary form for those not wanting to take the time to review every last detail. As modifications to my car continue, please feel free to follow this link to my homepage and check out the updates there for this coming year.
General pictures below, specific pic's will be linked to above items
The L69 5.0L & TH200-R4 on their way out 12-22-00!
1999 F-Body LS1 5.7L on the left - 1988 G-Body L69 5.0L on the right
The LS1 goes in for a test fitting from the side since the hoist won't clear the front of the car.
here to return to my homepage
To contact me, please click on the mailbox to send me e-mail
© 2001-2003 by John Bzdel