1988 Monte Carlo SS
LS1/T56 Change-over page
2002 Project Updates
Header fabrication finally begins
I tried using the Schoenfeld SBC header kit as a baseline to begin with,
however, two issues came up.
- First, the tube configurations are no where near equal length and the
routing based on the wider LS1 block didn't look too good.
- Secondly, I had the proper header size recalculated by two independent
shops and determined that the proper primary length for the 1-3/4"
tubes should be in the 12" range as opposed to the approximate 6"
length that I had originally planned. Oh well, so much for the 186V
Schoenfeld header kit!
- Now to plan "B".......I ordered up seven 180° mandrel bent
u-bends of 1-3/4" pipe and a box of 36 feet of 1-7/8" pipe
miscellaneous mandrel bent configurations to begin fabrication with again
- While waiting for these to show up in the mail I also ordered an
"X" pipe junction (3-1/2" inlets with 3" outlets)
from Dr. Gas.
- I finally got started with the actual tube fabrication late Monday night
on the 21st of May. Good progress to report. I started with the
drivers side tubes and then did the passenger side last.
- All eight tubes are now cut and tack welded (12" of 1-3/4"
primaries with 20" of 1-7/8" secondary tubing including the
merge collector length).
- The overall tube lengths are 32", + or - 1/8"!!! True
equal length stepped LS1 headers......another Industry first by
- Tube fabrication took a total of 5-1/2 days to complete for all eight
tubes. The #8 cylinder was a real pain for some reason and took
1-1/2 days all by itself (due to my requirement to make all of the tubes
matching equal length).
I am leaving for vacation for a week so the final TIG welding of the tubes
will begin when I get back the first week of June. Sorry, no sneak peeks
on the pictures until the welding is complete......and they do look very
Click here to return to John Bzdel's LS1/T56 Change-over main index page
© 2002 by John Bzdel