MAP,

I would have to agree with what you said about compliances in the braking system. Floating calipers are not as "efficient" as fixed calipers, rubber lines are not as "efficient" as braided stainless, flex in the calipers because they are not ridgid, low drag piston seals, etc. All that is very understandable.

All g-body cars with stock brakes have all of these. Floating, small, single piston, low drag caliper, with rubber lines and a small front rotor.

I would think that the #1 contributor to spongy brakes is air in the lines, and it is the most obvious. The other less obvious, for g-body cars, is the low drag caliper used in conjunction with a strait bore master cylinder and maybe rubber flex lines.

Besides the 3 above factors, how much more sponginess would you get from a floating caliper than a fixed? How does the "wedgeness" work and how do you maximize the effectiveness of the pad? How ridgid is a stock metric g-body front caliper?

I know the best solution would be to drop a couple of grand on an aftermarket multiple piston, fixed aluminum caliper with a large rotor and an aftermarket master cylinder. How do you maximize a stock front brake system for manual brakes for our cars other than aftermarket metric calipers, braided stainless flex lines, and a good street brake pad, with a good working master cylinder?

Last edited by malibudave78; 02/03/12 10:30 PM.