Boy this autox thing can tire you out. Up at 5 for a two hour trip, back home at 7. Missed my usual hour nap in the afternoon, babies and old people need naps. The very heavy fog burned off about the first cars out. Just like running this same parking lot in June I'm like 4th car out of 120 runs in my group. I just wish instead of the 1st of the three morning run groups I'd be in the last group out. You learn so much by watching other cars from the other runs groups when a corner worker. And it pays to be assigned to a difficult corner. The downside to that is you may chase a lot of killed cones.

My son and I got four runs in the AM and four in the afternoon, they are actually two different events, you pay for each, X 2. Can get a little pricey when you have two drivers. But I'm a good Dad, just don't break the car.

The course was very fast in sections, I xxxx my way around for the most part. Struggled fighting oversteer mid and exit, just like the 16 June runs we made. But can say the car setup was identical, and expected, fight the oversteer and just get some seat time.

My son of course was faster, he was banging off the rec limiter in the straighter sections, 2nd gear. I just try to close my ears.

Tires never got very warm until the last two runs in the morning, now 10:30. Fronts picked up 4 psi , rears 3. In the afternoon runs, near 80 degrees , set 33-29 and had to drop pressure every run but tires never felt real hot to the touch. Looking around i only saw one car spraying tires. Back in June all the fast cars were spraying when it was 95.

After our morning session tire pressure set and I took all the hi speed compression out of the rear shocks, left the low compression and rebound setting the same, 5 on an 18 scale. The car was a little better mid corner but still fighting oversteer, even wheel spin on some straight sections.

A hillclimb race friend of my son was there, his wife was running her C4, he's just there to spectate only. After our second runs in the afternoon he was watching us struggle with the car all day and says forget 2nd gear, drive it in 3rd only, kill the torgue. I know the 4.11s are killing the times, besides limiting 2nd gear mph, it also is just overpowering the tires. So my third run left in 2nd and after the first corner went to 3rd the entire run. Haven't seen the results of the day yet but my son think near 2 seconds quicker on that run.
Next up is Jason, he quickly realizes that there is still a ton of torque available after nearly looping it out of a fast corner, Last run of the day I blew it. Decides to downshift to 2nd in the very slow first carousal, lost track of where I was supposed to be at exit and missed, off course. Go figure, last run of the year and an off course. Jason on his last run was trying to figure out the 3rd gear thing and was fast but still slow in our eyes.

Couple positives. The car cruised on back the 75 miles to home and even listen to some Yes on the way.
His GPS says my speedo is off more than expected after the shorter new Falkens went on.
When the weather gets cold enough will pull the 4.11s and install the 3.73 back in the car. That will help the blowing the tires off a little. The engine was build for lots of low end torque, stump pulling , it hurting us now.
After the engine overheating that cut the day short in June can say all is well now. Running two drivers you are making runs a little more than ten minutes apart, not a lot of time for engine cooling after 50 seconds of hard 2nd gear. But morning and afternoon sessions the max seen on any run was 200 and most all were less temp. Even after the 4th run in the afternoon the recovery tank showed very little gain. So cooling system is back up to par. A big deal.
Saw a little PS fluid under the car. Cap area looked good , may be in the return hose. In June lost some out of the cap. Have an F-body cooler loop added years ago which helps but may not be enough with multiply runs in a short period of time.
Couple times we heard, felt, this singular "click" with power on a left hander. Riding shotgun I thought it came from under the seat. Jason in the seat he thought his foot area. So need to go over the underside if the car looking for something. My third run of the morning the rear laterally hopped in the finishing carousal mid corner, counterclockwise. The reason i took compression out of the rear shocks later. Right side would be effected by that hopping.

Lucky enough to put 34 autox runs on the car this year. Identified the problems. Know the old guy won't get better in the coming year, and will forget what he learned. I think over the Winter the car will get a little better and the kid will benefit next year.
Bob

Last edited by mmc427ss; 10/04/21 06:53 AM.