Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#975362 - 06/19/13 09:48 AM Adding GM keyless entry  
jman093 Offline
jman093  Offline

Wichita, KS
My SS is my daily, so I could find RKE (remote keyless entry) handy, but I did not want any aftermarket system. They are all pure junk, the fobs are generally ugly, and they are usually coupled with an alarm/theft system which is particularly bad news. Instead I added a factory GM system. This system is reliable and simple. It only adds probably 2 lbs of weight to the vehicle so there are no worries there either. I love it, so I thought I would share how to add this with the forum. This will work on any vehicle with power door locks. If it has power trunk release, that will work keyless as well.

I apologize in advance for the terrible pictures. My only digital camera is my 2mp cell phone. They're bad but I think get the point across.

I robbed this system from the salvage yard. You will have to as well. I recommend finding a 97-99 Monte Carlo to rob the system from. I paid $15 for a system I robbed from a 98 Z34. These use the old style GM RKE system that is standalone: it does not use the vehicles network bus to operate. However these particular years received the later model teardrop shaped fob that has better range than the old square shaped ones. You likely won't get the fob from the salvage yard. There are tons of cheap factory fobs on ebay along with some cheap aftermarket replacement ones. I went ahead and bought a new fob from the dealer for $45.

Picture of the fob:

What you will need from the salvage yard.

The RKE module there is located on the rear package shelf, right side. Get the module. Leave the attached connector on the module and cut off the harness leaving yourself 12-18 inches or so. However: there is one wire that runs into the trunk behind the right side trunk wall carpeting. It's a small single spade terminal connector not connected to anything. Do not cut this out of the harness. This is the program wire for a new fob. You ground that terminal to put the module in programming mode. Pull this out and up to your module, then you can make the cut to the rest of the wires in the harness. If you do accidentally cut the program wire, you're not SOL, you can always strip off a little insulation and still ground the wire, but it will be easier now and in the future to program a fob if the conncetor is still on it.

Here's a picture of the system. Note the harness is still attached to the RKE module and particularly note program wire that was not cut:

Picture of the programming wire connector you will be hunting for:

Wiring in the system:

I mounted the module on the bottom of the rear package shelf, similar to where GM put them. It probably goes without saying to route wires nicely and tuck them out of site for clean installation. You can easily add this to the car invisibly without much effort. (The blue & black wires you see dangling aren't part of the RKE system. Those are the factory wires for the Aerocoupe CHMSL.)

Here's some wiring diagrams to reference as you do this. First is of my power door lock system. I think all g-bodies were very similar if not identical. Yours maybe be slightly different depending though. You don't necessarily need to be able to read these wiring diagrams. I've described what to do in detail below, but visuals are always nice.

Second is from a G-body Malibu. It appears the wiring is all the essentially the same mine, and the picture is much better than the one I could procure.

Third is a diagram of the 97-99 Monte Carlo RKE system.

Before I get into a more deteailed description of wiring this in, here is a reference list of every wire (except the already described program wire) in the RKE harness and where it will go.

Light Green Wire: Will be hooked 12 volt supply
Black Wire, White tracer: Ignore this wire. The factory system uses this to operate the power trunk from the interior button. Ours will still work regardless.
Pink wire: Ignore this wire. This is an ignition wire I think the factory uses to disable RKE while the ignition is on and shut off the dome lamp. We don't need it.
Orange Wire Will be hooked to 12 volt supply
Dark Blue wire: Ignore. All this wire does is turn on the dome lamp for a period of time when you press the unlock button. The dome lamp is going to turn on when you open the door, so I don't see the point. If someone wants to go all out, I think it would be neat to wire this to a relay that turns on the headlamps or park lamps or whatever you wanted so the car would have an illuminated entry like new cars do. I just left it alone. Maybe someday.
Grey Wire: This will be wired to the trunk release actuator(if applicable).
Black Wire: This will be hooked to ground.
Tan Wire: This will be hooked to the left door lock actuator wire near door lock relay
White Wire This will be hooked to the unlock wire at the door lock relay
Light blue wire: This will be hooked to the lock wire a the door lock relay.

First off after mounting up the module is the 2 12 volt wires. They are the orange and light green wires. You can hook them up to any constant 12 volt source you like. I spliced them together and ran my wire a short distance to the far left front corner of the trunk and teed them into the power wire running through for the trunk lamp. I think the wire was inside some plastic conduit.

Next is the ground. It's the bkack wire in the harness. Just ground it anywhere on the body structure there in the trunk. I have a stud attached the body where I grounded my audio amplifier and grounded the module here as well. Anywhere on the body should work though. You can test with a test light. Hook it up to your power and if you have a good enough ground to light the test light you should have enough to operate the module and door locks.

Next would be the trunk release. It's the grey wire in the harness. I ran this over to the far left corner of the trunk with the 12v power wire and teed it into the trunk release power wire running by in this area. I forget the wire color at this time. I will update later. I think it was inside some plastic condiut.

At this time, (for anyone with power trunk) I would test that your module is working. Take that program wire and ground it. Once you touch it to ground, your power trunk actuator should operate one time. If it does, great. Your module is working and you have wired it correctly so far.

The last 3 wires are for the door locks and will all be run up to the same location. This is the Tan Wire, the White wire, and the Light Blue wire. Remove your back seat cushion and the passenger side door sill plate (the thing that says "body by fisher" on it). Run the three wires underneath the insulation behind the seat back, over to the right side quarter trim and down into the black plastic run channel underneath the door sill plate. Lay them along in that channel up to the right front kick panel there by the ECM. Remove the ECM kickpanel. Behind the ECM and a piece of jute insulation you will find a large metal relay with a couple connectors on it. This is the door lock relay where we will be splicing our three wires into.

Disconnect the 2 wire connector from the relay. The white wire on the RKE harness will need to be spliced to the unlock wire on this connector. For me it was the black wire. The light blue wire in the RKE harness splices into the other wire, which for me is also light blue.

Now the third wire, tan in the RKE harness. A little bit above the door lock relay there is a large hole in the body covered by a black plastic shield held on by a single pushpin. Remove this shield and there are a couple connectors behind there. One is a connector with about 6 terminals all in single row. The end of the connector, labeled pin "A" will be occupied by tan wires. One side of the connector will have one tan wire coming out of it, the other side will have two tan wires coming out of it. We need to attach the tan wire coming from the RKE harness to the left door lock actuator wire on the vehicle. However, this cannot simply be spliced in like all other connections we've made so far. Here's what to do: On the side of the connector with two tan wires in the same terminal, cut the wire that runs over to the left door lock actuator. The other wire you do not want to cut runs a short distance down to the door lock relay. I able quickly locate which was which by pulling on the tan wire coming there at the door lock relay and seeing which of the 2 wires was being tugged up at the connector, and then proceded to cut the other wire. Hook the tan wire from the RKE harness to the door lock actuator side of the tan wire you just cut. I would cap/insulate the connector side of the other end you cut so it never short in the future. Make sure all your door locks are still operating correctly with the switches, and you can now reinstall anything that has been removed for wiring.

Here is a terrible picture to (hopefully) clarify. Note the 2 tan wires coming out of one side of pin "A" and that one has been cut and butt connected into the RKE harness.

Progamming your fob

Take the programming wire discussed earlier and ground it. Once it is grounded the trunk release (if used) and the door locks will all cycle. This means the RKE module has entered programming mode. With the wire still grounded, press and hold both the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob. Once the module learns the fob, the locks will all cycle again. The instructions state to hold the buttons for 10 seconds. For me the locks cycled basically instantaneously though. It's the cycling your looking for, not a certain peroid of time. All fobs you are programming (I just have one), will need to be programmed at the same time. The locks will cycle for each fob you program. Once your fob(s) are programmed, disconnect the program wire from ground and you are finished. You should have RKE.

I'm glad to answer any questions or help out as someone is going through installation. Hopefully this write-up gets used. If so let me know, so I know the last couple hours and beers haven't been for not. smile

-Jesse

-87 Aerocoupe. White/Burgandy. Bench seat, loaded minus T-tops. 185,000 miles. Stock 305. 15.62 @ 90mph

-3 1990 Turbo Grand Prix. 2 Red, 1 Black.
#975389 - 06/19/13 05:50 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
ss4ever Offline
15+ Year
ss4ever  Offline
15+ Year

Shelbina, Missouri
Great write up, I have a 97 Monte that I was thinking of adding RKE to, I guess I might just tackle it. This will also be a great addition to my 72 Monte and my 86 SS project!

1983 Monte Carlo SS Turnkey ZZ4/700R4, Dakota Digital Instrument Cluster, 77k mile car. Many more mods to come soon.
#975391 - 06/19/13 06:36 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
gmachinz Offline
10+ Year
gmachinz  Offline
10+ Year

Des Moines, Iowa
Nice.....I have his article in my files now. Looks like another feature I'll be pirating for my 80 Monte project! Thanks for the write-up!

gbodyparts1234@yahoo.com

HARNESSWORX
#975393 - 06/19/13 06:51 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
Fred SS Offline
10+ Year
Fred SS  Offline
10+ Year

Glassboro, NJ
Great write up. Easy to follow. I have been wanting keyless entry for awhile. Definitely on my list of things to do this year.

87 SS, Harwood cowl induction hood, UMI trailing arms. Edelbrock TES Headers (Jet Hot Coated). Goodwrench 350, Ported TPI, Trick Flow 56cc alum heads, SLP runners, Comp Cams 260AH-12 cam, Trick Flow 1.5 roller rockers, Bilsteins, TCI 2400 stall converter, Ramcharger fans, Denny's 3.5" Driveshaft, GBodyParts GNX Wheels.
#975447 - 06/20/13 04:41 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
jman093 Offline
jman093  Offline

Wichita, KS
Well, I'm glad to see this mod will hopefully go down on other G-bodies. I thought maybe it would be met with, "It doesn't make the car any faster, so what do I care?" attitude, lol.

My next similar mod I'm going to try and tackle is adding Passkey 2 anti-theft to the car. The car has had three theft attempts (that I know of) since I've owned it. One was unsuccessful and the other two were caught trying to break into my garage, but I'm worried my luck is going to run out at some point. It would provide a lot of peace of mind knowing the car isn't going anywhere without its key or a flatbed. Lots of those PK2 systems from the early 90's use a standalone module and all those GM Saginaw columns are the same, so I would think you could add the PK2 lock cylinder and wire in the module just fine.

-87 Aerocoupe. White/Burgandy. Bench seat, loaded minus T-tops. 185,000 miles. Stock 305. 15.62 @ 90mph

#975483 - 06/20/13 03:08 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
Tunedss86 Offline
15+ Year
Tunedss86  Offline
15+ Year

Eastern Virginia
Great write up, I will be looking for these parts just for the coolness factor. Thanks

#977512 - 07/11/13 01:58 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
Bills 80s ElCamino Offline
Bills 80s ElCamino  Offline

Phillipsburg, NJ
I agree, thanks for the write up and I agree, something else to look for when going parts shopping.
Was there a GM part number on the module as I tried looking up the module online on a few websites but it looks like it's not available from GM anymore, I just want to get the correct one.

As for adding a passkey 2 to the system, I'm more of a visual guy, so all of my gm cars have the "column lock" that goes around the outside of the steering column covering the ignition switch, tilt and the directional switch. I figure if someone sees that they might bypass breaking into the car first.

The passkey system would work after the break in, and I would just put in a kill switch somewhere.

Just my thoughts and a big thanks.

Bill

#977574 - 07/11/13 06:29 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: Bills 80s ElCamino]  
Ole Blue Offline
Ole Blue  Offline

Lugoff, SC
Originally Posted By: Bills 80s ElCamino
As for adding a passkey 2 to the system, I'm more of a visual guy, so all of my gm cars have the "column lock" that goes around the outside of the steering column covering the ignition switch, tilt and the directional switch. I figure if someone sees that they might bypass breaking into the car first.

If you are talking about the original cover around the steering column covering the parts you described, it wasn't a deterent in July 2011 from someone breaking into and stealing my 1986 MCSS with just under 30,000 miles on it with a few minor upgrades (I installed the cruise system, new tires, brakes, shocks, exhaust system with black chrome tips). I wish I would have had a kill switch, lojack, and a theft system with alarm on car and remote to keep with me.

I guess my point is if someone has plans on stealing your car, they are going to. The only thing we can do to try to prevent it is by installing anti-theft options hoping they give up or get caught. Unfortunately I had trust in our fellow citizens ethics and did not install any anti-theft system in that one. This won't happen with my other ones.

#977634 - 07/12/13 04:04 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: Ole Blue]  
jman093 Offline
jman093  Offline

Wichita, KS
The part number on my module is 16255271, but I would pay no attention to that. There could be various modules from different supplies, or different numbers for the same module. And no, GM doesn't make replacement modules anymore. GM is by far the worst automaker when it comes to discontinuing parts for their vehicles.

I agree Blue, nothing mechanical is going to do much good. My personal experience from the theft attempts/recoveries I've had to repair at work. It's never like the movies where the vehicle has been hot-wired, lock-picked, or the thief had some fancy electronic gizmo to defeat the theft system. The tools of the trade are a hammer and chisel. Theives just quickly obliterate the column/dash to whatever point is necessary to get the igntion switch to turn. Vehicles with factory immobilizers are either stolen by car-jacking, wrecker, or the key was stolen from the owner.

The one vehicle that came in with the anti-theft defeated was one of those viper-powered Dodge Rams. The thief had procured the engine controller and immobilizer module with its programmed key from another Viper Ram and installed them on this truck. He then proceeded to destroy the column to get the switch to turn like standard procedure and put stolen liscence plates from another state on the vehicle so he could roll. Something must have spooked him in the process though, becuase the vehicle wasn't stolen and he bailed, which is the point. Although yes, where there's a will there's a way, if you did get some professional operation thief that has the knowledge and whatever tools/parts are necessary to defeat the immobilizer, he's going to need some time. He won't be "gone in 60 seconds." Viper Ram perp obviously ran out of his. The old passkey 2 can be defeated pretty damn easily; I know I could make my own tool to defeat the system in an afternoon, but you will still be safe from 99% of thugs out there. If the car gets stolen, it probably got a ride on a wrecker.

#977715 - 07/13/13 02:49 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
Lanaue Offline
Lanaue  Offline

Parkville MD.
This is a great DYI I can't wait to do this.

Thank You very much.

It was all fun till the cops showed up !!
#977743 - 07/13/13 04:11 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
Bills 80s ElCamino Offline
Bills 80s ElCamino  Offline

Phillipsburg, NJ
Iman,

Thanks for the number and I agree that GM stinks with different numbers and suppliers and how long they keep replacement parts.

I'm not referring to the cover that is part of the steering column. I was referring to something like the "column lock" in this thread:

http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23701#.UeF3y2cYFpU

That lock goes around the column and helps prevents people from breaking the column to bypass the ignition lock.

I do agree that most stuff is not going to defeat the theft of an automobile, unless you did something like a neighbor did to prevent the theft of his Trans Am, he installed two 2 feet cubes of concrete with heavy chains in them. He would wrap the chain around the rear axel and around the front suspension and then lock everything down. Not sure how effective it was as I don't know if anyone tried to steal it or not. I know it didn't protect him if he went out and I don't know what he did then.

Bill

#979195 - 07/30/13 02:16 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
dw329 Offline
dw329  Offline

Beersheba Springs, Tn.
I just did this upgrade to my 86 last week. Pulled a module and 18 inches of the harness from a 97 monte carlo (paid $7.50 and the fob was free) and followed the steps above. I mounted the module up under the dash above the glove box and didn't have to run wires to the trunk. I got 12 volt and ground from the glove box light harness, The gray wire went to the trunk release button wire in glove box that goes back to the solenoid in trunk, the white and light blue down to the lock relay and the tan to the connector as explained. Used zip ties and mounted the module up high and tight so glove box door has room to open and close. Works great thanks for the write up.

#979485 - 08/02/13 08:13 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
84 ZZ4 Offline
10+ Year
84 ZZ4  Offline
10+ Year

San Antonio, TX
Great writeup!

#979514 - 08/03/13 12:46 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
Monte88 LS Offline
Monte88 LS  Offline

Cedar Falls, IA
Definitely great write up. Good candidate for a Sticky... mods???

Mark

88 LS/CL, bone stock
#980515 - 08/14/13 10:57 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
1986SSclone Offline
1986SSclone  Offline

Lancaster(Town), NY
you are a god.

86' SS 350 Motor/Tranny
If a company advertises something as "indestructible", Trust me, I'm the guy you want testing it.

#980577 - 08/15/13 06:53 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: dw329]  
PB86SS/87LS Offline
Administrator
15+ Year
PB86SS/87LS  Offline
Administrator
15+ Year

New Berlin, WI
Originally Posted By: dw329
I just did this upgrade to my 86 last week. Pulled a module and 18 inches of the harness from a 97 monte carlo (paid $7.50 and the fob was free) and followed the steps above. I mounted the module up under the dash above the glove box and didn't have to run wires to the trunk. I got 12 volt and ground from the glove box light harness, The gray wire went to the trunk release button wire in glove box that goes back to the solenoid in trunk, the white and light blue down to the lock relay and the tan to the connector as explained. Used zip ties and mounted the module up high and tight so glove box door has room to open and close. Works great thanks for the write up.

Good tip, I might be attempting this soon for one of the cars. Nice feature I've gotten accustomed to with a "newer" car as a daily.

Also using the VATS system with our columns can be achieved, it's been done but I don't remember the details. Something about using part of a column from a Cadillac or other newer b-body (LT1 years?). Nice potential cheap anti-theft option.

As I always say when someone says if they really want your car they will get it...if you really don't want someone to get your car, they won't. Just depends how extreme either person is willing to go, goes both ways.

-86'SS 383 CCC QJet- BRF 2004r-8.5" 3.42 -313/344@RW - 13.35 @103
-87'LS 350 MAF/SD TPI- CRF 2004r-7.5" 3.42 -248/340@RW - 14.55 @ 96
-81'Grand LeMans Safari Wagon 3.8 2bbl/200C/2.73
-07'TBSS Stockish daily driver
[Linked Image]
#980690 - 08/17/13 09:34 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
PB86SS/87LS Offline
Administrator
15+ Year
PB86SS/87LS  Offline
Administrator
15+ Year

New Berlin, WI
Where exactly is it located on the donor car? I looked at three 97-99 Montes and couldn't find it on, under or near the package tray or trunk area. I assumed every car has this from that era. I peeled up the package tray on one and the trunk carpet in another.

[Linked Image]
#980730 - 08/18/13 09:45 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
dw329 Offline
dw329  Offline

Beersheba Springs, Tn.
The one I got from the 97 monte carlo was on the top of package tray. you have to remove it from inside of car under the back tray board. I don't think every car had this,or they might have been put in different locations not sure.

#981020 - 08/22/13 02:48 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
PB86SS/87LS Offline
Administrator
15+ Year
PB86SS/87LS  Offline
Administrator
15+ Year

New Berlin, WI
Thanks, glad to know I'm probably not blind or going crazy as I couldn't locate it on the cars I looked at. I'll keep searching, looking forward to this mod.

[Linked Image]
#981190 - 08/24/13 08:22 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
jman093 Offline
jman093  Offline

Wichita, KS
Mounting the module behind the dash is definitely an easier way to do it. You don't have to run the wiring under the rocker cover that way. Reception, and subsequent range, is better if the module is mounted up higher and also not so buried. That's why GM mounts them on the shelf in the first place. These systems don't have the greatest range to begin with, so that's the reason I recommend the 97-99 Monte Carlo module and mounting it on the shelf as the best way to get range. If anyone wants to mount them in the dash though, it will function just the same. I didn't mention it because I wasn't sure if anyone would be ok with having to be basically at the car before being able to unlock it.

#992497 - 01/13/14 03:10 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
jeremybrown Offline
jeremybrown  Offline

Hillsborough NC
Anybody know of another gmail rke module that is stand alone

#993929 - 02/03/14 02:35 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
PB86SS/87LS Offline
Administrator
15+ Year
PB86SS/87LS  Offline
Administrator
15+ Year

New Berlin, WI
GM?

I'd also like to know, this is on my to do list, hopefully by spring. Each Monte I searched came up empty, over a dozen so far.

[Linked Image]
#993947 - 02/03/14 05:01 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
RoadWarrior Offline
15+ Year
RoadWarrior  Offline
15+ Year

Mechanicsburg, Pa
That monte was a "W" body GM

which that platform was used for the Malibu, GP, intrigue, regal, century, lumina

i would think that the 90-95 full size B.O.P.'s would have the RKE option, and should be a stand alone module..OBDI and pre-BCM for most.

other models that may have used a stand-alone system, would be late third Gen F-bodies. and i think the pre-96 4th gen F-bodies have a stand alone module, it's different then the one mentioned, it has two connectors and a different wiring diagram, but functions with comm to an ECM or BCM. (i think)

if i get time at work on tuesday, i could go through mitchel and see what all i can find.

MadMax
88 SS, 355 owned since '03
#994395 - 02/08/14 06:01 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
mmc427ss Offline
15+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
15+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
Paul, Steve Ragusa did the RKE on his Monte several years ago,I believe he used 3rd or 4th Gen F parts. Email him about his donor.
Bob

#997701 - 03/18/14 08:44 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
PB86SS/87LS Offline
Administrator
15+ Year
PB86SS/87LS  Offline
Administrator
15+ Year

New Berlin, WI
Planning to finally find a car with this this weekend when I go yarding. Determined to get this done this spring laugh . Maybe I should of been removing the package tray from the 5th gen Montes, usually I've been looking in the trunk up at that area for wiring but re-reading the thread it appears to be removed from the interior of the car. Surely one of the 5th gens I've seen has this. I grabbed a fob last time I was out from a 2000 Century in good shape and programmed it as a 2nd spare (3 total) for my Regal, can always use that for the Monte one unless I find another.

[Linked Image]
#997705 - 03/18/14 09:14 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
After driving my car every day for the past week or so, I WANT to do this with my car as well...

If anyone else goes yarding and finds an extra one or two RKE modules, I'm sure I'd be interested in picking one up.

Lance
1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car
#997851 - 03/20/14 04:21 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
kwkenuf85 Offline
kwkenuf85  Offline

Coopersville, MI
I DD a 99 Lumina (just a four door MC), I will look and find and take pictures of it's placement for you guys. I am going to do this to my SS also. Just need to get to a yard!

85 Monte Carlo SS
My first car...
Time for the attention it deserves...
#998021 - 03/22/14 05:36 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
PB86SS/87LS Offline
Administrator
15+ Year
PB86SS/87LS  Offline
Administrator
15+ Year

New Berlin, WI
I was able to grab two setups today, only one key fob though from another car, those are harder to find since they get taken right away almost it seems. Both cars had trunks closed, no key so I took the wiring that I could, about 12-15" off the connector but not the little connector, couldn't trace it even sliding as far into the trunk as I could.

[Linked Image]
#998745 - 03/30/14 02:51 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
monte_man_2020 Offline
Happy Birthday monte_man_2020  Offline

Lisle, IL
Pb86ss, that connector is there. It was pretty tucked in when I got mine out. Still got to install mine. Good luck!

#998949 - 04/01/14 03:51 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
PB86SS/87LS Offline
Administrator
15+ Year
PB86SS/87LS  Offline
Administrator
15+ Year

New Berlin, WI
The connector isn't necessary, correct? I only started getting ready to install it, I believe the connector wire is the black wire that needs to be grounded to program the fobs if my glancing at the schematics is correct.

[Linked Image]
#999781 - 04/10/14 02:26 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
87ttop Offline
87ttop  Offline

Chattanooga, TN
what donor cars should I look for this on

#999906 - 04/11/14 06:34 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
PB86SS/87LS Offline
Administrator
15+ Year
PB86SS/87LS  Offline
Administrator
15+ Year

New Berlin, WI
I found mine on 97-99 Montes. Just peel up the package tray and you'll see it on the passenger side.

[Linked Image]
#999934 - 04/12/14 04:01 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
jman093 Offline
jman093  Offline

Wichita, KS
Sorry for never checking/updating this or my PM's. I just don't get on forums like I used to. Lots of PM mail that never got addressed, sorry. I didn't figure so many people would have trouble finding a module. They are everywhere locally. As I said, the best option I know of is the 98-99 Monte Carlo module. It may also be found in 98-01 Luminas, but most of those won't have RKE except maybe if it is an LS, or definitely if it is the fairly rare LTZ model. If it is used in other vehicles, I don't know what they are. Typing in the module part number shows it to only be used by 97-01 Lumina/Monte Carlo. Most Monte Carlos have RKE unless they are base. If it is a steel wheel/hub cap car, it probably won't have it. Maybe they get swiped a lot of something, but most had it. Lift up the rear package shelf and it will be under there on the passenger side.

Now the reason for this post. Since there seems to be interest in other modules/ inability to find 98-99 Montes locally for some people, I'm posting what I know about other stand-alone systems from GM. If you want something from another automaker, there are probably dozens of options, but you're own your own there, lol.

There are as far as I know, two previous generations of systems than the one 98-99 MC one I posted. The first was used from the late 80's to around 1994 (definitely 94 in the w-body cars). It uses a single 8 pin connector and the older square fob. I would stay away from these. It seems they had a 100% fail rate, not exaggerating. Personally speaking, I have two bad ones and no good ones. W-body.com members never seem to fair better than myself. The solder joints were faulty. The problem joints aren't visible, so if you do want to use this one, you will need to resolder all the joints on the larger circuit board and it will work again like a champ. Done this twice now after recently repairing my Turbo GP's module. RKE works fine again.

Picture of module:

Picture of circuit board inside module. The larger one will likely need resoldered. The smaller antenna board is probably ok.

Picture of older square fob. Note difference in design from the one in original post. They had the make's logo on them (although there are generic replacements available). This is my Turbo GP fob I recently purchased:

Wiring diagram of this module from my 1990 Grand Prix. I'm not positive, but I would think the pinouts would be the same for any module of this generation. The pin A and D that go up off the page are both B+ circuits. Click photo for a slightly larger one.

The second module is the module used from about 1995 up to the late 90's before BCM control took over everything (except our 98-99 Monte module!). This module has two connectors. It uses the exact same square fob design, but I'm not sure if the fob is internally compatible with the first generation, although I believe it is. This module seems reliable. My brother, my sister, and I have each owned a w-body with this module and all three worked fine.

Pictures of module:

Diagram from a Camaro that should have this module. Again, If I had to guess, I would think the pinouts shown here would be the same for any vehicle using this module. Click picture for a slightly larger one.

So there's what I know for anyone wanting to use something else. Remember, range for that older fob is zilch. You have to be within 10 feet of the car for it to work. The later design fob of the 98-99 MC module shown on the first page isn't great, but is generally better.

#1000637 - 04/20/14 02:32 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
bad88ss Offline
bad88ss  Offline

somewherein, fl
Why go through all this? Why are aftermarket alarms w/ keyless "junk?" Why are they "bad news"
I have a Viper from Directed Electronics. Didn't have to go to a junkyard, buy remotes, solder anything, and I have keyless entry w/ trunk release, alarm w/ anti theft, anti-code scanning technology, a 2 way remote (alarm activations are sent to my remote) a valet switch, virtually no programming, and great range w/ easy wiring. All for $100 shipped to my door. Why is that inferior to using OEM GM parts cannibalized from other GM vehicles or rolling around in a filthy, wasp-infested junkyard to get old parts that don't do 1/5th of that, you don't know are working or not, and will likely fail long before the new aftermarket parts?

#1000727 - 04/21/14 06:31 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
PB86SS/87LS Offline
Administrator
15+ Year
PB86SS/87LS  Offline
Administrator
15+ Year

New Berlin, WI
Maybe I'm not an expert but I'll put a few reasons, that are enough for me:

- $80-100 cheaper

- I haven't heard of GM units failing, probably as reliable as aftermarket at least

- Not everyone wants or needs a noise alarm for their car or other items mentioned

- Some people don't mind (and gasp, even like) junkyards

wink

I still haven't hooked mine up but the wiring looks pretty simple. Re-using stuff readily available, cheaper and proven to work is hard to argue against, IMO.

Last edited by PB86SS/87LS; 04/21/14 06:32 PM.

[Linked Image]
#1000732 - 04/21/14 06:49 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: bad88ss]  
Mick Offline
15+ Year
Mick  Offline
15+ Year

O'Fallon, MO USA
Originally Posted By: bad88ss
Why go through all this? Why are aftermarket alarms w/ keyless "junk?" Why are they "bad news"
I have a Viper from Directed Electronics. Didn't have to go to a junkyard, buy remotes, solder anything, and I have keyless entry w/ trunk release, alarm w/ anti theft, anti-code scanning technology, a 2 way remote (alarm activations are sent to my remote) a valet switch, virtually no programming, and great range w/ easy wiring. All for $100 shipped to my door. Why is that inferior to using OEM GM parts cannibalized from other GM vehicles or rolling around in a filthy, wasp-infested junkyard to get old parts that don't do 1/5th of that, you don't know are working or not, and will likely fail long before the new aftermarket parts?

they same could be said for the whole car....why mess with 30 year old car when they have new ones on the lot every day....

Always looking for New old stock parts
#1002047 - 05/08/14 03:01 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: Mick]  
bad88ss Offline
bad88ss  Offline

somewherein, fl
They have new G Body montes? Cause I'd buy one if they did. I mess with this car because there is no new equivalent. Or maybe there is and I just don't know about it...LOL

#1002712 - 05/17/14 10:39 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
PB86SS/87LS Offline
Administrator
15+ Year
PB86SS/87LS  Offline
Administrator
15+ Year

New Berlin, WI
Just completed this, finally. I mounted it in the glovebox area velcro-ed to the back duct work out of the way. I probably have more wires back there than most with the TPI swap, wires run behind the glovebox in that area. Works great, I programmed my fob by holding lock/unlock before grounding it. I have a good 50 feet of range too. I found a fob on ebay for $10 shipped that had only lock/unlock and trunk, I didn't want the annoying (at least to me on my Regal) panic button especially since it would be useless.

Great write up, thanks again for the idea and motivating many of us to help bring our cars into the 21st century.

[Linked Image]
#1002996 - 05/22/14 07:51 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
rarperformance Offline
rarperformance  Offline

Tupelo, MS
This is a nice write up. I will be doing this to my Monte SS and Grand Nationals.

87' Monte Carlo SS, 87' Buick GNX027,(2) 87' Buick T type, (2) 87' Buick Grand Nationals, and 05' Ram SRT8 Custom build
#1004536 - 06/10/14 04:59 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
86SS86LS Offline
15+ Year
86SS86LS  Offline
15+ Year

Eastern SD
I just finished the install on my 86 442, thanks for the detailed, easy to follow instructions.

A couple of things that tripped me up: The door lock relay gets its ground through the screw that holds it to the body. I initially tried to get the system to work before putting everything back together.......couldn't figure it out, thought the relay was bad, swapped in a different relay.....until I fastened it to the body and it worked. Also, I grabbed a couple of FOBs at the yard but they were not compatible with my unit despite visually looking the same. I purchased a FOB on ebay from a 98 monte for $15 and all is good.

#1004960 - 06/15/14 04:11 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
86SS86LS Offline
15+ Year
86SS86LS  Offline
15+ Year

Eastern SD
Range is greater than 100 feet, with the unit mounted behind glove box. Pretty cool locking/unlocking doors, popping the trunk on a mid 80s car with a factory gm fob......maybe i'm just easily amused....

#1006966 - 07/07/14 06:25 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
JMonte7892 Offline
JMonte7892  Offline

Baltimore, MD
Can you guys give an exact location of where these are in the donor cars? I looked around in the trunk of many 90's montes and luminas and could not find one.

Also what other cars did these come in?

If all else fails... Can someone get me the GM part number off of the box? Looking to add this to my 87 suburban!

1983 Monte Carlo Sport Coupe [sold]
1984 Monte Carlo Super Sport [deathmatch with a Santa Fe]
1985 Monte Carlo Sport Coupe [frame-off in progress]
#1007034 - 07/08/14 01:10 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
PB86SS/87LS Offline
Administrator
15+ Year
PB86SS/87LS  Offline
Administrator
15+ Year

New Berlin, WI
On the rear package tray, passenger side. Need to pull/peel off the package tray, enough anyway. Only held on by velcro so pretty easy to take out. Not all of them will have it, I think it was 97-99's and even then, not all but a good percentage will. Need to get to them from the backseat area, IIRC.

[Linked Image]
#1011958 - 09/08/14 08:16 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
1987mcss Offline
My First Post!
1987mcss  Offline
My First Post!

palm bay FL
I know im gunna sound like an idiot on here but ive been to 3 different yards and I cant find the module on any of the cars would anyone want to sell me the set up if they can find it the module, wire harness,and key faub or give me the part number for the faub and ill order it i found the module on ebay but it does not have the harness pig tail which u obviously need to wire it up

#1012770 - 09/20/14 03:56 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: 1987mcss]  
86SS86LS Offline
15+ Year
86SS86LS  Offline
15+ Year

Eastern SD
Originally Posted By: 1987mcss
I know im gunna sound like an idiot on here but ive been to 3 different yards and I cant find the module on any of the cars would anyone want to sell me the set up if they can find it the module, wire harness,and key faub or give me the part number for the faub and ill order it i found the module on ebay but it does not have the harness pig tail which u obviously need to wire it up

I've got an extra module with pigtail. I don't have the fob, but they are $15 on ebay. Pm if interested.

#1014467 - 10/19/14 12:27 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
87SS-ZZ3 Offline
10+ Year
87SS-ZZ3  Offline
10+ Year

Pantego,NC
It's crazy, I just did the same thing and made a write up on the Malibu site. Our write ups are almost the same, even used the same electrical diagrams. I wish I saw yours sooner and saved myself some time. I installed mine behind the glove box and connected the pink and blue wires so the interior lights work with the remote.

78 Malibu LT1/T56 build thread
96 Impala SS
#1014639 - 10/22/14 03:06 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
JMonte7892 Offline
JMonte7892  Offline

Baltimore, MD
Wow, I hit the junk yard this morning and BAM. 3 luminas with RKE modules. Took all of them home with me. Now I just need a few key fobs with the ABO1502 FCC IDs.

#1015059 - 10/31/14 02:52 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
Pa85ss Offline
Pa85ss  Offline

Lewisberry Pa
Also gm part number 16255859 is the same RKE module but it mounts different. The part numbers on the circuit board are the same. Used on Malibu 97-99, Olds Achieva 97-99 and Cutlass 97-99. The wire harness colors are different but the diagrams above have the pin numbers.

#1019740 - 02/14/15 02:10 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
Bobbybuick Offline
Bobbybuick  Offline

Dayton Ohio
New to the site .I have both modules and going to install one this weekend .however the 859 board is slightly different and has a "P" o the circuit board .with that said the canadian part number is the same also the signal number the same .a stated above the harness has different colors and the only change i see is both power wires are orange and the trunk is black with tracer .it also has one additional wire in the harness .Great write up thanks for the Add
PS dont ow a SS Monte but every says nice Monte to my GN

#1019776 - 02/14/15 09:38 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
Bobbybuick Offline
Bobbybuick  Offline

Dayton Ohio
the 859 module does work i tested it .however if you have factory security it will not arm and disarm using the keyfob and if you arm with door switch and disarm with fob the alarm sounds

#1022207 - 04/06/15 08:45 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
monte_man_2020 Offline
Happy Birthday monte_man_2020  Offline

Lisle, IL
I am almost done with wiring up the RKE and having trouble figuring out the tan wire. Pulled off the kick panel, black plastic shield, and see the connector. No where do I see two tan wires coming off the A pin, actually its a grey. Pin H is tan, is it this one I cut and connect with the tan from RKE? I have 87 MCSS.

#1023485 - 04/26/15 11:01 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: monte_man_2020]  
wfyehl Offline
My First Post!
wfyehl  Offline
My First Post!

Fort Wayne, IN

I am going to attempt this installation on my 1987 Regal with the factory anti-theft option. I found a module from a 1998 Monte Carlo, and then got 2 remotes from ebay.

Has anyone attempted to install RKE with the factory Anti-Theft system? It is unclear if the unlock part of the module will also disable the alarm (usually done when using the key to unlock the door - there is a switch on the cylinder that disables the alarm).

Any ideas?

-Bill

#1025639 - 06/12/15 05:18 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
Ubowl Offline
Ubowl  Offline

Hudson, NH
I have looked all over the salvage yards around me and no one has one of these modules. if anyone has a extra module with 18 inches of harness that plugs into it they want to part with I would be very happy. thanks John

#1025699 - 06/13/15 09:31 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
Tunedss86 Offline
15+ Year
Tunedss86  Offline
15+ Year

Eastern Virginia
I know this is an old post, but does anyone have a picture of this module mounted in the ju k yard car? I spent the day looking for one. Sweat my @ss off , 98 degrees here and I found nothing. Is this thing hidden in the truck, or easily seen?

#1025741 - 06/14/15 07:57 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
Tunedss86 Offline
15+ Year
Tunedss86  Offline
15+ Year

Eastern Virginia
I know this is an old thread. Ii spent pretty much the whole day yesterday at 2 different junk yards, in 98 degree sunny temps trying to find this keyless module with no luck. Anyone have a picture of one mounted in the stock location in the junkyard car?

#1025791 - 06/15/15 04:34 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
JMonte7892 Offline
JMonte7892  Offline

Baltimore, MD
I don't have one where you can see the module in it's location, but I found this stock image and circled where it would be.

It sits on top of the metal deck, but under the carpet/insulation.

Easiest way to do it (if it's 1000 degrees outside and the yard isn't watching) Grab the top left corner of the back seat, pull it and bend it out of the way, grab the carpet and insulation, weave the seatbelt out of it then bend that out of the way. Reach straight back near the corner and if the car is equipped with the keyless system, you will feel the black box and harness. Actually your hand should run straight into it without much feeling around. If you peel the carpet/insulation back enough you could probably see it. The box is held on to the metal shelf with velcro.

If you don't see it up there, don't worry about looking elsewhere on the vehicle because it probably doesn't have one.

It's in the same spot for 90's luminas and monte carlos. I've never really looked in other models.

HTH

#1025821 - 06/16/15 02:43 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
PB86SS/87LS Offline
Administrator
15+ Year
PB86SS/87LS  Offline
Administrator
15+ Year

New Berlin, WI
Next time I go I'll try to both take a picture of one as installed from the factory and also grab a couple. Not all have them but many do, not sure if it's half or more/less. Not too hard to find them once I figured it out. The pic above is a pretty good help.

[Linked Image]
#1025835 - 06/16/15 12:10 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
Tunedss86 Offline
15+ Year
Tunedss86  Offline
15+ Year

Eastern Virginia
WELL #$%^&*&^%$

I was looking in the wrong place. Maybe I will go back tomorrow morning, there was half a dozen Montes/Luminas there. Surely one of them has it.

#1025889 - 06/17/15 10:23 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
Ubowl Offline
Ubowl  Offline

Hudson, NH
I was also told that some montes also had them directly behind the glove box. Never seen them either place so far. Bummin big time. If anyone can get their hands on one with harness. Let me know

#1025920 - 06/18/15 04:53 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
JMonte7892 Offline
JMonte7892  Offline

Baltimore, MD
Here's another diagram with GM part numbers.

#1026339 - 06/27/15 05:48 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
WB of NOLA Offline
WB of NOLA  Offline

New Orleans, LA

Went out to the yard today and started hunting in late 90's Monte Carlo. Found one in a 1999 Monte, looked like a luxury edition and had controls on the steering wheel. I needed only wire cutters, as the rear trey cover is a slip on.

1987 Monte Carlo SS
5.3l/4l60E
One Wheel Peel
#1026340 - 06/27/15 06:14 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
WB of NOLA Offline
WB of NOLA  Offline

New Orleans, LA

Went to the yard today and found the module in a 99 Monte. Only needed a pair of wire cutters as the rear trey cover was a slip over style.

1987 Monte Carlo SS
5.3l/4l60E
One Wheel Peel
#1026436 - 06/30/15 05:37 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
PB86SS/87LS Offline
Administrator
15+ Year
PB86SS/87LS  Offline
Administrator
15+ Year

New Berlin, WI
Thanks for posting a picture, hope this helps some people out in locating them.

[Linked Image]
#1026456 - 06/30/15 03:14 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
Tunedss86 Offline
15+ Year
Tunedss86  Offline
15+ Year

Eastern Virginia
What mounts the module to the tray? No bolts? You only had to cut the wires?

#1026566 - 07/03/15 04:57 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
PB86SS/87LS Offline
Administrator
15+ Year
PB86SS/87LS  Offline
Administrator
15+ Year

New Berlin, WI
Velcro holds it on

[Linked Image]
#1026632 - 07/05/15 08:49 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
PB86SS/87LS Offline
Administrator
15+ Year
PB86SS/87LS  Offline
Administrator
15+ Year

New Berlin, WI
I just pulled two of these with about 12" of wiring. PM if interested, I pulled them for potential members due to the interest in them. No key fob's just the module and 12" wiring leads, which is more than necessary based on my one install so far.

[Linked Image]
#1027199 - 07/19/15 11:27 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
PB86SS/87LS Offline
Administrator
15+ Year
PB86SS/87LS  Offline
Administrator
15+ Year

New Berlin, WI
Sold the two I had, not sure if I'll get more. If so I'll post in the classifieds.

[Linked Image]
#1053249 - 09/07/17 12:43 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
T-Top Tom Offline
T-Top Tom  Offline

Gilbertsville, PA
Cool!

#1060188 - 12/12/18 02:04 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: PB86SS/87LS]  
Vettedr Offline
Vettedr  Offline

Tell City,In.
do u still have one u would sell????If so id be interested.Txt me at 812-547-8886

vettedr
#1061526 - 04/16/19 02:09 PM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
MOT1VE Offline
MOT1VE  Offline

Papillion, NE
Just did this mod on my SS and it works perfectly. I mounted mine under the dash so I wouldn’t have to run the wiring from the trunk. I attached the lighting wire to the PS door striker so the dome lights come on when it’s activated. I also hooked the trunk release to the black wire coming off the trunk release button in the glove box. I don’t know if it’s 100% necessary, but I moved the power supply to the glove box trunk button from an accessory power supply to a constant power supply on the fuse panel. This requires a little trimming of the connector but will now allow that button to work without the key in the accessory position. All in all this is an easy and cheap quality of life upgrade. I got my RKE module from a 99 Monte Carlo which appeared to be a base model.

#1061649 - 04/24/19 04:23 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: MOT1VE]  
dw329 Offline
dw329  Offline

Beersheba Springs, Tn.
How long does the lights stay on when its activated, does it only blink or stays on for a certain amount time? blue wire to orange on door pin?

#1061722 - 05/03/19 02:59 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
MOT1VE Offline
MOT1VE  Offline

Papillion, NE
Sorry, I just saw your reply. I spliced the dark blue wire to the single wire coming out of the back of the door pin. The light stays on for a while when you unlock the doors (45-60 seconds by my guess) and only stays on for a few seconds after locking the doors. Hope this helps!

#1061752 - 05/06/19 03:29 AM Re: Adding GM keyless entry [Re: jman093]  
dw329 Offline
dw329  Offline

Beersheba Springs, Tn.
Good, I think I will go back and splice that blue wire in on the install I did some time ago. Thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Random Images
500/thumbs/308512_2182293169347_1607499622_2176378_1575979963_n.jpg
by JMonte7892
813/thumbs/700_ss_3.jpg
by sg5492
827/thumbs/88_MONTE_CARLO_SS_414mp_.jpg
by Mando/88SS454
500/thumbs/Sea_Pirate_07_1.jpg
by NYmonteSS
500/thumbs/Photo_102307_001.jpg
by Vondross