MonteCarloSS.com
Topic Options
#928788 - 04/19/12 09:35 PM How do i turn on my high beams?
andrewjurgens Offline

Loc: Winchester Ontario
I have a 1986 monte Carlo that I just purchased that need work and I can't seam to turn on the hi beams. I don't know if the switch is broken or it's the bulbs or if I'm doing it wrong? I have a choke like toggle that I pull out and I fool around with it and it only turns on two of my headlights. I assume all 4 are the highbeams.

#928792 - 04/19/12 10:00 PM Re: How do i turn on my high beams? [Re: andrewjurgens]
84 ZZ4 Online   mwink

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Yes, all 4 should light up in high beam mode.

If the headlight switch turns on taillights, etc, the 2 outer lamps are low beam, pull back on the turn signal stalk, and you should hear it click for switching from low/hi.

If the high beams mode on the headlight is working you would see the blue indicator on the dash lit, even if the bulbs are blown...
If the dash hi-beam indicator lights up, then check with a voltage tester if the sockets are getting their 12volts.

If the dash hi-beam indicator and high beams do nothing, then you can check fuses, and possibly the headlight switch itself.

Maybe the turn signal stalk needs a repair (I have yet to fix one..)

#928793 - 04/19/12 10:00 PM Re: How do i turn on my high beams? [Re: andrewjurgens]
Jameson Offline
10+ Year

Loc: Elizabeth City, NC
Pull the turn signal lever back towards you.
2005 Joe Gibbs Silverado #0396

#928821 - 04/20/12 01:54 AM Re: How do i turn on my high beams? [Re: Jameson]
andrewjurgens Offline

I can pull out out the switch and on the second click the inner high beams come on and an the first click the outter low beams do not come on. Is this a stitch problem? Also, their is no hi beam blue indicator thing where is that supposed to be? When I pull out the switch to the first notch the right green, blinker thing stays on when it's off, blnks when it's on and stays on when the left blinker is blinking. Also I have no dash light except for one on the far right of the heater. Also their are no lights in the back that come on, no backup lights but the blinker and break lights work. Can anyone help me come up with a solution? What lights are supposed to come on?

#928822 - 04/20/12 02:32 AM Re: How do i turn on my high beams? [Re: andrewjurgens]
86_SS Offline

Loc: League City, TX
are you refering to "switch" as the pull knob on the left side of the dash?? if so, pull that out all the way (should be 2 "clicks")...that will turn on your headlights/parking lights/tail lights

once your head lights are on, grab the "turn signal lever" on the left side of the steering column.. pull it towards you and it should click once and turn on your high beams. pull it again and it should switch to your lo-beams

as for the no dash lights and righter blinker light staying on... that sounds like a bad ground
86 Monte SS - blackside - sbc350, 700-R4, 7.5" open dif - blazer dual piston brakes w/ stainless braided lines, 1" springs front, tubular upper control arms, jeep steering shaft, electric fans, 4" fiberglass hood w/ tach
86 Cutlass 442 - SOLD
95 Dodge Ram 3500 - 5.9L 12valve Cummins diesel, 5 speed, 4x4

#928858 - 04/20/12 12:32 PM Re: How do i turn on my high beams? [Re: 86_SS]
andrewjurgens Offline

Ok so when I flick on my hi beams from my winshield wiper stick the verry far left drivers side light is a tad dimmer than the other light. Is this the bulb or bad wiring? Also I have no tail lights that come on unless I press the break or flick the signal. Are the red lights supposed to come on or the white lights under the red ones? Are these white lights my backup lights?

#928939 - 04/21/12 12:29 AM Re: How do i turn on my high beams? [Re: andrewjurgens]
rmodys Offline

Loc: Ft. Myers, Florida
Hahahahahahahaha
1986 Monte Carlo SS. Family owned 1987-1999; 2004-present, rust-free Florida car, L69 with TPI, B&M shift kit, 3.73 posi, new PUI interior, t-tops, lowered 2", refinished stock rims, Goodmark cowl hood, and amber DRL's.

#928944 - 04/21/12 01:24 AM Re: How do i turn on my high beams? [Re: rmodys]
andrewjurgens Offline

Do you think it's a switch in the shifter that is the reason why my reverse lights dont work or is it the lights themselves? Also, the gauge that reads what gear your in, reverse, neutral, ect dosnt work. What do you think the reason for that is? And what is the differance between the "clicks" when you pull back on the light switch? My car makes no noticeable differance.

#928965 - 04/21/12 11:44 AM Re: How do i turn on my high beams? [Re: andrewjurgens]
carloss Offline

Loc: Burnaby, BC
I would check th bulbs first but the reverse switch and shift indicator are on the steering column as well as the neutral safety switch. the bowl on the steering column should rotate as you shift gears. There is a mechanical linkage between the transmission and column. If the bowl doesn't rotate as you move the shifter the linkage is probably disconnected which would cause your shift indicator, reverse lights and neutral safety not to work. can the engine crank while in gear?

The switch positions are off, parking lights, on.

The turn signal indicator staying on is likely a bad ground in the front turn signal bulb socket.

Check the rear taillight bulbs. They are dual filament which means they should light up when the switch is on and go brighter when the brakes or turn signal is on. It's possible they are burnt out on both sides. You can check the reverse light bulbs at the same time.

The dash bulbs are probably burnt out. There should be 8 bulbs plus the turn signal and indicator bulbs You might be able to reach up under the dash to change them but I find it's easier to just remove the cluster. It could also be a bad connection at the cluster causing your lights not to work. You could check that at the same time if you have the cluster out.

It's normal for one bulb to be brighter. Could be different bulbs. One probably burnt out and only one was changed.

Edited by carloss (04/21/12 12:36 PM)

#928998 - 04/21/12 06:01 PM Re: How do i turn on my high beams? [Re: carloss]
andrewjurgens Offline

i know you can take the keys out while it is in neutral and reverse so im betting the linkage is broken. where is it likely dissconected and where is it and where does it run? also when i take my car out of park, the engine idle rmp slightly goes up, why is this?

#929009 - 04/21/12 06:59 PM Re: How do i turn on my high beams? [Re: andrewjurgens]
carloss Offline

If the bowl on the column doesn't move when you shift. It's disconnected. Is normal for the rpm to rise

#929144 - 04/22/12 08:41 PM Re: How do i turn on my high beams? [Re: carloss]
andrewjurgens Offline

the bowl dosnt move when i shift, but when i try and move it with my hand the gauge moves a bit. so where is the inkage likely broken? i have an 86 floor shift. i dont know if the trans is stock or not but it had a 350 put in it. when i look under the dash i cant see any linkage connected to the bowl, where does the linkage run, and where can i get access to it? where is it supposed to connect to the trans?

#929146 - 04/22/12 08:52 PM Re: How do i turn on my high beams? [Re: andrewjurgens]
carloss Offline

It's a series of rods that go from the transmission to the steering column under the hood. I'll see if I can get a picture for you.

#929150 - 04/22/12 09:25 PM Re: How do i turn on my high beams? [Re: carloss]
andrewjurgens Offline

that would be great because i cant tell if mine has been removed or not

#929157 - 04/22/12 10:01 PM Re: How do i turn on my high beams? [Re: andrewjurgens]
carloss Offline

Edited by carloss (04/22/12 11:21 PM)

#929267 - 04/23/12 07:24 PM Re: How do i turn on my high beams? [Re: carloss]
84 ZZ4 Online   mwink

Loc: San Antonio, TX
If you need to get access to the rear taillight and reverse bulbs, there are 2 screws holding the taillamp housing facing toward the trunk latch.
When you take those out, the lamps swing rear and outward so you can get to all 3 of the bulbs/sockets.
The top 2 bulbs are dual filament, and should all light up in park, and brighter when using the brake or emergency flashers (pull out knob on steering column lower driver side close to steering wheel).
The reverse bulbs are single filament.
HTH

#929414 - 04/24/12 06:21 PM Re: How do i turn on my high beams? [Re: 84 ZZ4]
andrewjurgens Offline

The bulbs are fine, I'm gonna take a look under the car tonight, at the trans and see if I can spot the rod coming out. I can see it from the drivers side, is that correct?

#929513 - 04/25/12 09:50 AM Re: How do i turn on my high beams? [Re: andrewjurgens]
Wisconsin Offline
10+ Year

Loc: Catawba, Wisconsin
Sounds like the column may have been switched to an earlier version. when I put an '81 Oldsmobile column in my 87 MC I had headlight problems.

#929753 - 04/26/12 09:22 PM Re: How do i turn on my high beams? [Re: Wisconsin]
andrewjurgens Offline

Ok so talked to the guy I bought it from today and he said the tranny it not stock... Which probably means the xxxx rods have been removed, so what are my options? Can ii hook it back up? Can I make the reverse lights work?

#930122 - 04/29/12 01:16 PM Re: How do i turn on my high beams? [Re: andrewjurgens]
carloss Offline

If its there it's not hard to reconnect but if not try finding one at the wrecker.

Random Images
500/thumbs/ssl.JPG
by ragleone
500/thumbs/m10.jpg
by devider440
500/thumbs/iphone_215.JPG
by Joe b.
500/thumbs/Engine_2.jpg
by The New Kid
500/thumbs/Josh_s_Monte_1.jpg
by pmbrkfast84ss
Help MonteCarloSS.com