MonteCarloSS.com
Topic Options
#921447 - 03/03/12 03:04 PM SS Aerodynamics and cooling.....
John S Offline
10+ Year

Loc: NY
I've been researching aerodynamic enhancements for the SS and have read and been told about a couple of things that may or may not make sense.
Here are several of the things I've either been told or read about;
  • Block off the grill, It would clean up the air flow on the nose of the car and allow it to transition smoothly over the nose.
  • Open up the airbox in front of the chin spoiler and allow all radiator cooling airflow to enter from under the car
  • install functional hood vents to vent engine compartment air

Another item to consider is the airflow over the rear of the car. As anyone with an SS knows the rear of the decklid gets dirty very quickly. This is indicative of a turbulent low pressure zone on the rear of the car. I've been considering the addition of vortex generators on the roof above the notch window like these,
Vortex generators

SO, has anyone else considered any of these items or have actual experience with them?
T56 6spd, Moser M9 3:70
SC&C G5,, Spohn Tubular A arms,
Pirelli P Zero 275-40x17 rear, 245-45x17 front

#921457 - 03/03/12 06:03 PM Re: SS Aerodynamics and cooling..... [Re: John S]
Snowboi Offline

Loc: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Only thing I can consider, is to use headlight covers and turn signal covers on the SS.

To answer your question, no, havent had enough experience modding the airflow/aerodynamics.

Good luck.

#921466 - 03/03/12 07:30 PM Re: SS Aerodynamics and cooling..... [Re: Snowboi]
Bad Co Offline

Loc: Earth
If you want your Monte to be more aerodynamic get an Aerocoupe grin

#921470 - 03/03/12 08:17 PM Re: SS Aerodynamics and cooling..... [Re: Bad Co]
Mnt86ss Offline

Loc: Newburyport , MA
Taping up the grill comes from Nascar. You have to be at a high rate of speed or else the engine is gonna get hot real fast.

1999 GMC Sierra Z71 5.3- 6000K Hids, tinted, cranked, LT's
1969 Camaro Yenko clone- 383-461hp, Lemans blue
1971 Pontiac Trans Am- 455 4speed street machine

#921485 - 03/03/12 09:14 PM Re: SS Aerodynamics and cooling..... [Re: Mnt86ss]
86ttop Offline
10+ Year

Loc: Colonial Beach, Va
John, Although I have no experience with the linked parts, most of that stuff is junk, if it seems too good to be true, it likely is.

Leo Paugh
It's not an attitude, it's just the way I am.
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
If things improve with age, I must be approaching magnificent. thumbs

#921493 - 03/03/12 10:08 PM Re: SS Aerodynamics and cooling..... [Re: 86ttop]
John S Offline
10+ Year

to:
mnt86ss, it's all about balance. All my research indicates that there is more than sufficient airflow available from under the car provided you have fans capable of flowing the correct amount of CFM, all other airleaks are sealed and you can vent the engine compartment. An example of venting the engine compartment can be taken from the GNX's fender vents.

Leo, Like you I am very skeptical of things. There is a lot of information about vortex generators out there though and I've even read some reports published by NASA on their use in aircraft.
One of the things I will be doing is to perform what is called the a yarn puff test. This simulates a windtunnel. I may try a couple of the air tabs just to see what affect they have.

#921499 - 03/03/12 10:51 PM Re: SS Aerodynamics and cooling..... [Re: John S]
86ttop Offline
10+ Year

Loc: Colonial Beach, Va
the 2+2 I have is open under the nose, like regular cars back then.

Leo Paugh
It's not an attitude, it's just the way I am.
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
If things improve with age, I must be approaching magnificent. thumbs

#921530 - 03/04/12 08:39 AM Re: SS Aerodynamics and cooling..... [Re: 86ttop]
cj84ss Offline
10+ Year

Loc: Jacksonville, Fl.
I've been a aircraft mechanic for a
while and they do have vortec generators in the intakes of fighter jets. One in each one. It's worth the try but I really don't think it will do what you are looking for.

1984 SS, w/87 Grand National 2004R, 355 vortec, CCC, Crane XE262.
1969 Road Runner
2003 GMC Serria

#921596 - 03/04/12 05:08 PM Re: SS Aerodynamics and cooling..... [Re: cj84ss]
tonys57chevy Offline
10+ Year

Loc: little egg harbor nj
told you my thoughts by phone + my mind is still burning lol
1957 Chevy
85 SS, 86 SS 8,272 miles
www.wickedmontes.com www.wickedridesnj.com

#921624 - 03/04/12 08:02 PM Re: SS Aerodynamics and cooling..... [Re: tonys57chevy]
John S Offline
10+ Year

I too am skeptical but there really is only one way to find out. Perform a yarn puff test before and after installing a few of them to see if there is any difference. Am I going to be the one to do it.... maybe , maybe not. Right now I have other things to get done, but if I ever do I'll let you know how it turns out.

More importantly to me right now is the front end and affects on cooling.

#921678 - 03/04/12 09:54 PM Re: SS Aerodynamics and cooling..... [Re: John S]
Countrynoy69 Offline

Loc: Maerngo.IN
I race stock cars and a dirt modified. The stock I have was using a 99 Monte body from fivestar. But I help several teams that use the 80-88 monte body. And now I am being forced to use it too thanks to the higher class getting cancelled! Taping the grill will make the air go up and over causing down force. we also tape the seams/gap between the fenders and hood with tape. We try to sneak by with as much gap between the hood and windshield too pull the air out of the engine bay. We tweak the fenders so that the front lowers sections are out further than the rear. all this creates suction or low pressure under the hood. That low pressure pulls that car down low at speed. Lowering your car will have a similar effect. We are restricted by frame and valance(bottom of nose and side skirts) heights.

One thing a found with my second SS is that there are 2 different spoilers. I never knew before! Believe it or not but the laid back version will give MORE down force! Found this out with the mod. The angle of most spoilers are extreeme and are used in a stall position. next warm day stick you hand out the window at 55. try different angles and you'll see the shallower angles will push harder down! That older style spoiler may be the reason for the dirt collection!

The link parts look a lot like our naca ducts we use to draw in air for cooling of brakes and even drivers. I couldn't say much about them since I havent tried them. Aero is an art. The guys that are the best seem to be able to see air. I have used the yarn trick myself.

About the air turbulence behind the car...Good aero for a race car is meant for something very different than a street car. If your trying to get a slicker car for top speed you would benefit from different mods than one looking for handling. Gas mileage seekers would be another story. Watch a few youtube videos of dirt late models. Look for ones on a dusty track. And watch the air go nuts directly behind the car! Even at 25 mph through the pits they will kick up something fierce!

#921684 - 03/04/12 10:09 PM Re: SS Aerodynamics and cooling..... [Re: John S]
Spider_carb Offline
10+ Year

Loc: Bristol, VA USA
Originally Posted By: John
I've been considering the addition of vortex generators on the roof above the notch window like these,
Vortex generators

SO, has anyone else considered any of these items or have actual experience with them?

I work for a semi trailer manufacturer. Certain customers order these to be installed at the very end of the sidewall and roof of there trailers to redirect the air flow from wrapping around the back doors. But these things are small and it takes one about every six inches. Im no expert, but it appears these would have to be installed at the end of the quarter panels at the taillights to work.

#922065 - 03/07/12 08:41 AM Re: SS Aerodynamics and cooling..... [Re: Spider_carb]
SickSpeedMonte Offline
10+ Year

Loc: MD
One of the lancer EVOs had little bumps on the top of the rear window, but they didn't look like these.

#922100 - 03/07/12 01:13 PM Re: SS Aerodynamics and cooling..... [Re: SickSpeedMonte]
Hunter79764 Offline

Loc: Grand Prairie, Tx
Slightly off topic, but I had an Aero professor that told us a little story about early Boeing wings. If you look and see the little "shark fins" sticking up on the top surface of the wing, those are there because the original design was not stable enough as designed, but it was not discovered in time to change the design. Back then, it was a different process of design, test on model scale, finalize design, start production, and it wasn't until the early production phase that full scale planes were built that revealed the problem. The shark fins disturb the air flow to keep it from transitioning hard at certain speeds/angles of attack etc.

Long story short, these types of aero devices can go a long way to band-aid a problem, but aren't a substitute for a good design to start with. Unfortunately, we missed the boat on a good initial design on most of our cars...

'85 MC with budget 5.3L swap, TH350 with stock 2.14 rear end
It ain't much off the line, but it's nice on the highway

Random Images
500/thumbs/ehuhrty.JPG
by juangomez22
500/thumbs/IMG_0576.JPG
by 565bbchevy
523/thumbs/DSC_0632.jpg
by Z65_Paul
660/thumbs/l_7050a971ec7648b09003f19aa73fcfce.jpg
by jeff83sssc
835/thumbs/DSCF00271.JPG