Next Thread
Print Thread
#517064 - 12/31/07 04:15 AM later model intermittent wiper motor  
DENN_SHAH Offline
10+ Year
DENN_SHAH  Offline
10+ Year

Houston
even after replacing pretty much every part of the pulse type wipers on my car & still never knowing if they would work right, i got fed up & i wanted something better.
i have had this setup on my car for a little over 4 years now. i've had no problems with it other than have to replace the washer pump that only lasted about 3 1/2 years.

this is how i updated to a later model intermittent wiper motor on my 83 CL.
this is for those who already have intermittent wipers.
if you don't have intermittent wipers, you'll need a new switch.

you'll need some fab skill to do this, which i think most everyone here has.
you also need access to a welder.

the wiper motor i used came from an 89 Olds Calais with intermittent wipers.
its a pretty popular design & was used on a good number of other late 80s & early 90s GM cars, so finding one in a wrecking yard shouldn't be a problem. you need the pig tails for it so grab them too.
what the motor i used looks like,

my car controlled the factory motor by grounding through the switch, the Calais did it with power through the switch.
wiring it up is pretty straight forward.
i did not go by wire colors. so pay no attention to the colors on the diagram, they are for easier viewing only.
you may or may not need to repin the connector under your dash.
the are no letters on the small connector, so i guessed.

A, goes to B1
B, goes to the switch, has power in low, intermittent, mist & wash positions
C, goes to the switch, has power in off & low positions
D, to + side of universal washer pump
E, to - side of universal washer pump
F, goes to the switch, has power in wash position

A1, goes to ground
B1, goes to A
C1, goes to the switch, has power in high position

to mount it with all 3 bolts, you need to pull the inner fender to drill 2 of the new holes & add a tab to the top of the plate the wiper motor mounts on for the third bolt.
im on the lazy side, so for now there are only 2 bolts holding my wiper motor on, it rubs the brake booster if the windshield is dry. when i do the paint & body work i'll add the tab & properly mount it so it drops down by the fender & use all 3 bolts. i'll also weld washers to the back side of the plate where i drill the holes for added strength.

the next thing is the wiper arm that mounts to the motor.
you'll need to cut & weld it so the wipers park in the right position.
with the wiper motor & the wipers in full park position you want the ball to be to the outside at the end of its sweep.
with the way i mounted the motor, i only needed to cut part way through the arm to bend it & weld it back up.

get a universal washer pump from the parts house. hook up the hoses & wire the + side of it to terminal D, the - side to terminal E.
you should now have intermittent wipers that work every time.

disclaimer, no warranty, use at your own risk, for adult use only, keep out of the reach of children, keep tightly sealed when not in use, & do not run with sharp objects.

#836165 - 11/11/10 03:45 PM Re: later model intermittent wiper motor [Re: DENN_SHAH]  
Jegs Offline
Jegs  Offline

Mattituck NY
Hi Denn
Now someone comes up with an upgrade......ha ha.....took me a year to get my wipers working.Finally got em going and the one part that was missing was the 2 metal tanges that go off the inside prongs under the pulse modular from the wiper to the bottom of the pulse mod to make a connection. Wish I saw this first.....oh well cool design also go info for the next time
Thanks John

#836344 - 11/12/10 08:16 PM Re: later model intermittent wiper motor [Re: Jegs]  
SickSpeedMonte Offline
15+ Year
SickSpeedMonte  Offline
15+ Year

MD
Intermittent wipers that work every time? Don't the stock intermittent wipers work every time?

#840158 - 12/04/10 12:55 AM Re: later model intermittent wiper motor [Re: SickSpeedMonte]  
Sixtoes1313 Offline
Sixtoes1313  Offline

Abingdon, Maryland
Mine work just fine still (knock on wood)

LsX: DO IT~ 11.32 @120mph

Random Images
500/thumbs/MC_lowered.jpg
by tunit
500/thumbs/downsized_0402121841.jpg
by blkcharlotteman
852/thumbs/mont_and_road_runner_3.jpg
by PoorBoysRacing
1084/thumbs/1318197026021.jpg
by 87SSon6s
500/thumbs/IMG_1195resize.jpg
by monte_mike