MonteCarloSS.com
Topic Options
#835908 - 11/10/10 03:06 AM AC/heater box delete-build custom heater core&fan?
monte87LSsssssssss Offline

Loc: Marlton ,NJ
ok on another thread I was asking about electric in dash heater options but that idea got shot down so Im thinking maybe building a custom heater box behind my dash and keeping my AC/heater box delete plate for that clean look and reduced wieght. So Im thinking maybe buy a small cheap heater core from Napa, build a custom little encloser for it with some sort of fan to push the air through. Last winter I had to drive around with layers of cloths during my cruizes but I was still happy just to by driving my Monte, so figured this winter I should step it up a notch and really live the dream with heat...what do you guys think my only real concern is finding a fan strong enough to push enough air through the heater core without putting too much strain on the altenator. Anybody have any recommendations as far as the fan goes? any tips will help im definately running heat this winter so keep your eye on this post i'l post pics of my progress Im sure there are a few others on here freezing their b@lls off every winter just to shave a few pounds off the car and keep that engine bay clean.
1987 MonteCarlo LS---345HP/370torque GM ZZZ crate motor---Holley 670cfm Street avenger---Mallory HEI---TH350/shift kit/2300 stall converter---GN 8.5" rear 342 gears---2" drop spindles with 1" springs up front, Moroso drag springs in back---275/60r15 Mickey Thompson drag radials---reduced weight to about 3000 pounds even

#836125 - 11/11/10 02:21 AM Re: AC/heater box delete-build custom heater core&fan? [Re: monte87LSsssssssss]
gbodydude496ci Offline

Loc: scranton,pa
summit sells a mojove heater you just mount it and run the ducts.also run the hoses of your water pump.

#836134 - 11/11/10 06:47 AM Re: AC/heater box delete-build custom heater core&fan? [Re: gbodydude496ci]
blubaldmontess Offline
10+ Year

Loc: Rineyville, KY
By the time you get done building one, you'll probably have more into it than just buying one of the kits, at least that would be my thought.

#836154 - 11/11/10 09:14 AM Re: AC/heater box delete-build custom heater core&fan? [Re: blubaldmontess]
upflying Offline
10+ Year

Loc: Reno, NV
Just put one of these on the passenger floor and call it good.
http://www.mrheater.com/ProductFamily.aspx?catid=41
This post should be a sticky for anyone contemplating the installation of a heater delete plate on their car.

#836197 - 11/11/10 02:28 PM Re: AC/heater box delete-build custom heater core&fan? [Re: upflying]
redlineSS Offline

Loc: South Jersey
OR......use one of these:

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/1005sr_1947_chevy_pickup_heater_installation/index.html

It cleans up the firewall and gives you the Heat/defrost option!

Edited by redlineSS (11/11/10 02:29 PM)

#836220 - 11/11/10 04:57 PM Re: AC/heater box delete-build custom heater core&fan? [Re: monte87LSsssssssss]
NY87SS Offline

Loc: N.Wops NY
If you have access to sheet metal and some skills you can utilize what you already have and make the unit smaller.
On my kids truck, a S10 and very similar setup to our Monte's we made a cover that mimics location, same heater core etc so it just sticks out a few inches like where the heater core sits now, just without the AC area. Mounted the stock blower into the side in the same area as where it would have pushed from on top. Then fabricated a internal shelf to hold the core and a ducting section to direct the air through the core kinda like factory.
It looks good and I wouldn't say it ended up sticking into the engine bay 4 inches or so. If I get a chance I'll take pictures of how the kids came out and I plan on doing the same thing to the Monte when I pull the engine.

#838769 - 11/25/10 05:03 PM Re: AC/heater box delete-build custom heater core&fan? [Re: NY87SS]
monte87LSsssssssss Offline

Loc: Marlton ,NJ
yeah I really explored my options and since I already gutted behind my dash and all last year Im better off just building a heater box behind my dash from scratch. I'l buy a small heater core from pepboys, build a box and mount a lil highspeed fan on it with two ducts going up for defrosters and maybe two ducts going down for feet. The only issue I can see is the little fan not having enough flow to push the heat through 4 ducts so worse case senario i'l just run them to my defrosters. Winters coming she's not my daily driver but I would like to have the option of driving her whenever I want compfortabley. Within the next couple weeks I should have a cool lil setup, others can work with my idea and maybe even make there own. I'l let you guys know how I make out, pics and results coming soon.
1987 MonteCarlo LS---345HP/370torque GM ZZZ crate motor---Holley 670cfm Street avenger---Mallory HEI---TH350/shift kit/2300 stall converter---GN 8.5" rear 342 gears---2" drop spindles with 1" springs up front, Moroso drag springs in back---275/60r15 Mickey Thompson drag radials---reduced weight to about 3000 pounds even

Random Images
716/thumbs/1123071253b.jpg
by
548/thumbs/DSC00825.JPG
by 84supersport
500/thumbs/mc25.jpg
by McCall72
897/thumbs/P6070011.JPG
by Robb77
500/thumbs/IMG00023.jpg
by bigboi
Help MonteCarloSS.com