Print Thread
Page 26 of 27 1 2 24 25 26 27
#1045686 - 11/23/16 01:56 PM Re: The Last Dance [Re: Hey-O]  
Hey-O Offline
10+ Year
Hey-O  Offline
10+ Year

St. Charles Mo
Just bought this, I can't wait to wrap the WHOLE car in it.

http://www.dynamat.com/dynamat-xtreme-mega-pak/

... " HEY - O " ... LET THE HORSES RUN

#1045693 - 11/23/16 03:44 PM Re: The Last Dance [Re: Hey-O]  
FrankOC Offline
15+ Year
FrankOC  Offline
15+ Year

Cape Cod, MA
Hey Ulli, post your feedback when you are done.

-------
#1045695 - 11/23/16 03:54 PM Re: The Last Dance [Re: Hey-O]  
AkronAero Online content
10+ Year
AkronAero  Online Content
10+ Year

Akron OH
Ulli - agree on your earlier comment about going it alone. LOL! Members on this site provide wisdom but on cold nights it helps having someone to shout out support. How are you going to finish your trunk? A door over the battery compartment? I put in FatMat inside and will be moving to the trunk soon. Pitched the spare and am wondering how to finish the fenders and floor with carpet and underlayment. Thanks in advance for sharing.
Gordon

#1045708 - 11/24/16 12:34 AM Re: The Last Dance [Re: Hey-O]  
Hey-O Offline
10+ Year
Hey-O  Offline
10+ Year

St. Charles Mo
Hey Frank
I will, I canít wait to get it! It cost me $288.88 for the kit. Iím covering everything, from fire wall to trunk.

Hey Gordon
Couldnít agree more!! The trunk is the last on the list so I havenít fine-tuned all my thoughts but, hereís how it could go. The floor of the trunk gets laid out with cardboard from the gas fill to the incline. Itís easier to cut contours out of cardboard and add them by taping them to the main piece. Once the shape and fit is done you transfer that to Ĺ inch underlayment. To cover my battery hole Iíll cut the floor one inch bigger than the hole so when the door closes itís seating on the trunk floor for support all the way around. A piano hinge will be used for the door. The sides depend on two things, One, you can 3m spray carpet on the insides of the rear quarter and run the carpet covered floor to the quarters.
Two, you can run the floor close to the quarters and run a wall front to back just past the trunk opening. In this picture you can see the lip the top of the rear fender makes as it goes down the water trough to the rubber on the trunk. If you feel along that lip on the underside youíll feel a few braces to notch around. That lip gets Velcro along it, the hook part not the loop. On the floor straight down below it you screw a 1x2. Make a cardboard pattern from floor to top front to back. Transfer that to a ľ inch underlayment. The wheel well that is left to see can be carpeted with two surface 3m spray adhesive. The carpeted side panels with two small finger hole can then be pulled to the Velcro at the top and pushed to the 1x2 at the bottom. The hook part of the Velcro will stick to the carpet on top. The bottom can be velcroed or screwed depending on if you want to hide all fasteners. The incline going up to the flat behind the seat is a separate board that can be carpeted at the same time you carpet the floor, boards just touching. That way the floor could be one piece but fold up the incline for a clean one piece look. Hereís a picture of the hinge and how it should be attached. Remember the hinge will have no weight on it because the door will overlap the hole so it could hold a ton of weight. A material tab or a finger hole to open it. Behind the seat on the flat can be paneled off side to side but far enough back for a boom box or to fit your needs. You get started and weíll work it out!!!

#1045710 - 11/24/16 01:56 AM Re: The Last Dance [Re: Hey-O]  
AkronAero Online content
10+ Year
10+ Year

Akron OH
Ulli - Thanks for the pictures and plan. Very helpful!

I have been using the Fatmat Rattletrap which is 80 mils thick. Used 100 sq ft so far to do the the interior: floor, firewall ceiling and behind seats. Bought another 50 sq ft to do the doors, sides and trunk. This last one I got with no logo as I was not sure about when I would get to the carpet and it might be exposed in the trunk for some time. It weighs in at about 0.4 lb/sq ft. A very big improvement on noise especially when I sealed the space leading into the trunk (aka, the boom box). I will seal from the trunk side too. Let me know your experience with Dynamat. Considered to be the benchmark - never seen it side to side with others.

Going with your second option; the cardboard template transferred to "underlayment" which would be affixed to the tabs. Were you thinking 1/2" and 1/4" cabinet grade (apple) plywood, cheaper plywood or something else"? may use some construction glue too to a frame to avoid drilling hole through the floor to the outside (or gas tank).

Lastly - thoughts on what carpet to get and where?

This will be a manageable winter project I think. I am deferring the dashboard (just dashes?) and gauges (Dakota VHX or Speedhut GPS?) until i am smarter and better prepared.

Thanks again for sharing.
Gordon

#1045711 - 11/24/16 03:26 AM Re: The Last Dance [Re: Hey-O]  
Hey-O Offline
10+ Year
Hey-O  Offline
10+ Year

St. Charles Mo
Gordon, I prefer the 1/4 underlayment. Very smooth and free of voids. The same in 1/2 has more plys and is less likely to bow. The floor is held with long strips of velcro. All boards are cut so it can go in the trunk in one piece. Lay them like a puzzle, tight side by side. Glue carpet down and let dry. They can't fold down but will fold up. Put in trunk and unfold. No seams.

#1045716 - 11/24/16 01:49 PM Re: The Last Dance [Re: Hey-O]  
Hey-O Offline
10+ Year
Hey-O  Offline
10+ Year

St. Charles Mo
I have used this carpet on many projects from carpeting boat trailer and boat hoist runners to cutting throw away floor mats in the winter for my cars. Very short loop, very thin and easy to work with. This would work nice and this is most likely, in black what I will use. They always have it in two or three colors in stock at the store near me.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER...49510/100655633

#1045722 - 11/24/16 03:50 PM Re: The Last Dance [Re: Hey-O]  
AkronAero Online content
10+ Year
10+ Year

Akron OH
thanks - just what I needed to hear.
Gordon

#1045900 - 11/30/16 01:16 AM Re: The Last Dance [Re: Hey-O]  
AkronAero Online content
10+ Year
10+ Year

Akron OH
Ulli - started making plans for carpeting. The opening for Aero trunks BTW measures only about 12" across so it's going to be interesting getting inside. Have to keep the wife near by with a come-along if/when I get stuck... so, I am thinking a paper trace out of each part, then transfer to cardboard for mock up then trim cardboard after I get sound deadening in place and transpose to hard board. glue in upper floor and wheel wells (my tubs have straight sides so that's good) then velcro in back and side boards and lay down lower floor boards; each of these already having been carpeted. Two questions. 1 - how do you finish the rear of the trunk under the lid (against the bumper and the gas pipe)? very complex curvatures in 3D! Maybe only finish it a few inches up? much higher and the curves would make non-stretch fabric problematic. 2 - Does edging show or do you have a way to cover/hem it? for folds say over wheel wells, do you glue/stitch together? I can see why others (jarhead bob and max) make large boards that lay at angles, eating up trunk but avoiding these issues. Keep us posted with pics too as this proceeds. Thanks again for sharing,
Gordon

#1045910 - 11/30/16 02:12 PM Re: The Last Dance [Re: Hey-O]  
Hey-O Offline
10+ Year
Hey-O  Offline
10+ Year

St. Charles Mo

#1045912 - 11/30/16 03:04 PM Re: The Last Dance [Re: Hey-O]  
FrankOC Offline
15+ Year
FrankOC  Offline
15+ Year

Cape Cod, MA
looks good, one step at a time.

-------
#1045952 - 12/01/16 03:06 PM Re: The Last Dance [Re: Hey-O]  
Hey-O Offline
10+ Year
Hey-O  Offline
10+ Year

St. Charles Mo
Frank,
I don't know which product is better, but the difference in my car with just the matting and no carpet, doors not done, and still areas that you can see into the trunk from the drivers seat, is 100 percent. The trunks not done and there is a need to do it and I will. I haven't driven it, but starting it and just being in it you can feel the difference. The kit came with 9 pieces and I used 5 and a quarter to do what you see. When I take the dash back out I'll finish that little bit around the heater and steering column. The doors can really use it, they sound hollow. There's only one way to do this and it's the right way or not at all. Care should be taken to fully roll and push the matting into EVERY little contour in the the floor. The last six or seven inches of the end of a round broom handle is very important to use in the half round contours in the floor. If you push through the aluminum and pull the membrane thin in a corner, just put a patch over it and roll and push it into place. This stuff is NEVER coming back off. It took me six hours to do it. That's seats out, but carpet was all already out. The wire wheel you can see in the picture worked great on the stuff left glued to the floor from the padding on the carpet. Don't worry about getting all the tar off that was used to hold the pad down, just make sure you get all the fussy crap off and cleaned down to solid floor.

Gordon,
To carpet most rounds, the carpet is steamed into shape. That's not easy so, glue and overlay the carpet on the area and cut at the folds or bags in the carpet, little pie shapes. These cuts are then seamed together. Carpet has grain so cuts should be long and thin so it runs with the grain, not across. Practice will be needed and the longer the pile on the carpet the easier it is to hide the cuts. As far as the back of the trunk by the fill tube, an L shaped filler is needed. A board coming out and a board going down. The board coming out should be about an inch longer than the measurement from the back to the filler tube for the other board to be screwed to underside of it as a leg . Cardboard pattern to follow all the contours against the trunk will be needed. This piece should go in last and mounted to both surfaces, the back and the floor with Velcro. This leaves a clean ledge that runs into the sides. There will be lost space, but not much.

#1045957 - 12/01/16 05:01 PM Re: The Last Dance [Re: Hey-O]  
1 Slow SS Offline
10+ Year
1 Slow SS  Offline
10+ Year

Small town KY
That look amazing Ulrich, very tedious work that makes a big difference. Great job!

Heck after seeing this I'm definitely doing mine down the road.

Enjoy life, family first!
#1045962 - 12/01/16 08:48 PM Re: The Last Dance [Re: Hey-O]  
AkronAero Online content
10+ Year
10+ Year

Akron OH
Will you be adding an extra brace behind the seat before you seal it up? Please put a few photos out as you go. Fascinating. thanks as always...

#1045980 - 12/02/16 02:36 PM Re: The Last Dance [Re: Hey-O]  
Hey-O Offline
10+ Year
Hey-O  Offline
10+ Year

St. Charles Mo
Hey Ron,
In the long run this will make a huge difference in the quality of the feel of the whole car.

Gordon,
Yes, a brace of some sort will be installed. These guys have covered that on this site several times with many pictures!!
If you would like to try something different, the back area by the filler tube can also be covered with a quarter section of a concrete sonotube. After figuring out the radius from the top, over the filler tube to the floor, a size is calculated. This makes for a nice quarter turn from the top to the floor that can be easily carpeted. A small strip of 3/4 by 3/4 wood attached at both lengths on the inside for the velcro to attach to. These sonotubes come in many sizes and work great for this. I have made round table bases out of these covered with wood veneer to look like a log, they were 24 inches in diameter. Just a thought...... This is an example and how easy to find. The bigger diameter, the thicker they get. the big ones have a wax paper wrap on the outside that needs to be peeled off in order for the glue to have a surface to stick to.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/SAKRETE-10-in-x-48-in-Concrete-Form-Tube-65470006/100350260
To answer your question on how to cover the edges, if it's thin and covered with black carpet, the edges can be painted black. If thicker here's the way I do it. http://www.techguys.ca/howto/carpeting.html

#1049005 - 03/16/17 02:12 PM Re: The Last Dance [Re: Hey-O]  
Hey-O Offline
10+ Year
Hey-O  Offline
10+ Year

St. Charles Mo

#1049215 - 03/25/17 01:16 PM Re: The Last Dance [Re: Hey-O]  
Hey-O Offline
10+ Year
Hey-O  Offline
10+ Year

St. Charles Mo

#1049277 - 03/27/17 06:55 PM Re: The Last Dance [Re: Hey-O]  
FrankOC Offline
15+ Year
FrankOC  Offline
15+ Year

Cape Cod, MA
Nice to see you still at it, Ulli. Won't be long before it is car season in the Northeast.

-------
#1049337 - 03/29/17 03:59 PM Re: The Last Dance [Re: Hey-O]  
Hey-O Offline
10+ Year
Hey-O  Offline
10+ Year

St. Charles Mo
Hey Frank
Great to hear from you!! Hope all is well!! The winter has been nice down here so I guess I could have worked on it more than I have, but winter projects took over. There are many, but one in particular I thought would show how to make and cover a half round pole shaped object like we talked about in the trunk of a car. I was going to post this later, so this is as good as time as any. I built a tiki bar for my pool area. I had one made of bamboo for years under my patio, but it finally got to the point it needed help. I took it apart and reused some of the bamboo, all the while making sure it will last a life time with little to no maintenance. My real point was to show the front corners. These were made of PVC pipe, quarter cut and wrapped with a bamboo house window shade. The shade was contact cemented on the pipe and wrapped around and tucked inside. It's fun and easy!! I cut a quarter out of it to to make the corner, but you could cut out 3 quarters to make it just roll from one surface to another. It also has LED lighting and casters to roll it around.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

#1049770 - 04/08/17 10:33 PM Re: The Last Dance [Re: Hey-O]  
Hey-O Offline
10+ Year
Hey-O  Offline
10+ Year

St. Charles Mo
http://www.shiftworks.com/kits.htm

I don't expect anyone to change up an interior like mine but, if you like late 60's or 70's Chevy consoles and shifters which are set up for 3 speed automatic, this company has a conversion kit to make them work with TH200-R4,
TH700-4R, 4L60, 4L60E, 4L65E, 4L70E & 4L80E. Very nice to deal with!!

#1049864 - 04/12/17 06:09 AM Re: The Last Dance [Re: Hey-O]  
Hey-O Offline
10+ Year
Hey-O  Offline
10+ Year

St. Charles Mo
Something to watch while I install my new rear lowering springs and shifter conversion kit for my 67 GTO His and Hers shifter...........
Not bad for right out of the box...........

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...1ecca9bce7744b4ae8fb241&action=click

Last edited by Hey-O; 04/12/17 06:11 AM.

#1056491 - 03/20/18 02:19 PM Re: The Last Dance [Re: Hey-O]  
Hey-O Offline
10+ Year
Hey-O  Offline
10+ Year

St. Charles Mo

#1056504 - 03/20/18 10:40 PM Re: The Last Dance [Re: Hey-O]  
FrankOC Offline
15+ Year
FrankOC  Offline
15+ Year

Cape Cod, MA
Hey Ulli, Yes on those tail lights, no on the led conversion. How is the car coming?

-------
#1056506 - 03/21/18 12:39 AM Re: The Last Dance [Re: Hey-O]  
Hey-O Offline
10+ Year
Hey-O  Offline
10+ Year

St. Charles Mo
Hey-O Frank, I keep buying parts, but slow to install!! Thinking of turning it over to a builder to finish it after the dash and console. It will get done, to far in now. Common sense left a long time ago and it's all in now one way or the other, but, It's a head game I think I'm losing. As you and I know money can't fix everything, but it can this.... we'll see!! Thanks for being you, it fits you well! We'll talk..... Ulli

#1056552 - 03/22/18 12:15 PM Re: The Last Dance [Re: Hey-O]  
oemtech Offline
10+ Year
oemtech  Offline
10+ Year

Jarrell, TX
Ullie,

I looked those tail lights when I was considering mods to my 83. But, I saw a set of the LED style at a car show and they looked "ricer" for a better choice of words. Now led bulbs may be an option.

OBTW - May be heading your way this summer. I need a Ullie pork burgef fix!

Dale (AKA - Oemtech - Oemy)
[Linked Image]
83 Monte Carlo SS
My Monte Carlo SS Web Site
Page 26 of 27 1 2 24 25 26 27

Random Images
500/thumbs/new_rims1.JPG
by 88ss87ss
500/thumbs/sp08.jpg
by RocknSS
500/thumbs/7.jpg
by Phifdawg