MonteCarloSS.com
Topic Options
#814104 - 08/01/10 02:03 PM Neutral Safety switch, Shifter install Help!!
Makavelli22 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, California
Hello,
I recently purchased a B&M Quicksilver shifter for my 1983 Monte Carlo SS. I am forced to do the column to floor shifter conversion because my 700r4 transmission is too big for the column shifter to work right. This is not a big deal since I wanted to do this from the begining. Anyways, I have the setup ready, I already drilled the holes and ran the shifter cable to the transmission. Now its time to hook up the Neutral safety switch and the Reverse light switch but im stuck!! I am not sure where to run the wires from the shifter to the actual neutral safety switch. I wanted to know if anyone had pictures of the neutral switch location or if they can explain how to do this install better than the Instructions B&M sends with its shifters (which show nothing on how to do this). Any help or pics are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#814126 - 08/01/10 03:04 PM Re: Neutral Safety switch, Shifter install Help!! [Re: Makavelli22]
Speedy84SS Offline

Loc: Lindenhurst, NY

#815612 - 08/07/10 04:12 PM Re: Neutral Safety switch, Shifter install Help!! [Re: Speedy84SS]
JAWSS Offline

Loc: Ft. Hood, TX
Yep. Grab a linkage setup for an 85-88 G-body with a 2004r from the factory and it should work perfectly with your 700r4. The neutral safety switch and reverse lights are all in the column and is adjusted with the linkage on a column or floor shift car.

86 Monte Carlo SS T-top(His)
84 Monte Carlo SS TPI (Hers)
70 Chevelle Malibu (Second owner, grandma car)
12 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon

#815867 - 08/08/10 11:23 PM Re: Neutral Safety switch, Shifter install Help!! [Re: JAWSS]
Makavelli22 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, California
What do you mean by "safety switch and reverse lights are all in the column and is adjusted with the linkage on a column or floor shift car." I no longer have the column shifter, only the floor shifter and Im suppose to hook up the wires from the shifter to the neutral switch and reverse lights on the column. Im trying to find out which wire is what. I heard a green wire from the column is for the reverse lights and a purple wire running to the starter is for the neutral. Is this correct?

#815881 - 08/09/10 01:04 AM Re: Neutral Safety switch, Shifter install Help!! [Re: Makavelli22]
JAWSS Offline

Loc: Ft. Hood, TX
There is white module on top of the column shift and floor shift cars steering column. There is no reason to have to wire it up on the shifter. The bowl on floor shift cars rotate just the same as a column shift car. The only difference is no nub for the arm to attach to on the floor shift cars. Just leave all of the wires and linkages attached and install your new shifter.

86 Monte Carlo SS T-top(His)
84 Monte Carlo SS TPI (Hers)
70 Chevelle Malibu (Second owner, grandma car)
12 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon

#815996 - 08/09/10 05:40 PM Re: Neutral Safety switch, Shifter install Help!! [Re: JAWSS]
84supersport Offline

Loc: Louisville, KY
Well he said he no longer has a column shifter so he never had the linkage for a floor shift. Makavelli, on a floor shift car there is linkage that runs under the car and up the firewall to actuate the column indicator, reverse lights, and neutral safetly switch. You could either find the linkage in a junkyard or use micro switches on the sifter wired up to the module on the column. I'm not sure which wires you splice into though.
84 Monte SS stolen September 2012. 077 DFE Jefferson County KY plate. $2500 reward. Vortec headed 350ci, th350, 3:73 limited slip cast aluminum cover, Autometer gauges, Pro-Stick, 2.5" fiberglass hood.

Matt

Random Images
500/thumbs/3inchdrop2.jpg
by N8himself
500/thumbs/86_Monte_SS_carshow.JPG
by Lincoln7
500/thumbs/monte58.jpg
by juan r
500/thumbs/IMG_31571.jpg
by wayne j
523/thumbs/DSC_0638.jpg
by Z65_Paul