MonteCarloSS.com
Topic Options
#693220 - 06/13/09 11:45 AM Meguiars Ultimate vs. Turtle Wax Platinum
2manymontees Offline

Loc: Whitmore Lake, MI
Meguiar's just released its new series of polishes and waxes and of course, I had to try them... the Meguiar's products were both on sale at the local Murray's/O'Reilly's so I figured why not?? I refuse to patronize AutoZone, but I imagine these products are also available there.

Before discovering Turtle Wax Platinum I was a Meguiar's Gold Class and Zymol user for years.

I used both products exactly as instructed doing one side of my hood with Meguiar's the other with Turtle Wax.

For those interested here are the links of both products.

Meguiar's

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G17216

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+G14422

http://meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G12718

Turtle Wax..

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,22

http://www.uwantsavings.com/detail_TWAX1...s-Detailer.html

I used the paste wax as I have always had better results with paste vs. liquid. I couldn't find a site with a lot of information about the paste wax anywhere.

Unfotunately there is little if any information about Turtle Wax Platinum Series on the company's website, apparantly they are pushing their ICE series heavily as I see it EVERYWHERE... I used the ICE paste polish and ICE spray detailer last summer, was not impressed, unless you have a lot of black trim and are worried about residue, there is no reason to use ICE..

Before using these products I washed the hood and clay-barred the surface..

There was a noticeable difference in the gloss, depth of color reflectiveness, lubricity (slickness of the paint), and the the surfaces ability to repel water (called hydrophobic by the people at Meguiar's) between the 2 sides.

I was expecting the Meguiar's to be the same as their old line, but the new line-up is made of completely different polymers. It was appreciably better than both Turtle Wax and its Gold Class series in all the categories listed above.

This is the first car I've owned that I've painteed using a clear coat, and perhaps this newer formulation is made to enhance the properties of the clear.

Unfortunately, I was not able to do a similiar comparison on the laquer portions of the car, but I will most certainly be using Meguiar's Ultimate Detailing Spray on the rest of the car as well, and most likely just sticking with the Turtle Wax Platinum on the laquer as it has worked so well.

This morning it rained and I noticed a considerable difference between the size of the of the water beads.. The Meguiar's side had smaller beads than the Turtle Wax side... not exactly sure why as the surface tension should be less on the Meguiar's side causing larger beads, but as described by Meguiar's the water did sheet off better than the Turtle Wax side.

Conclusions...

I was not impressed with either company's compound/polish. However, both waxes and spray detailers are as good as anything on the market in their respective price ranges.

If you have stains or swirl marks go with 3M's rubbing compound (formerly Known as Perfect-IT II (fine cut)).

http://www.autogeek.net/3mperllrubco.html

I used to use 3M's orange pad with a Porter Cable orbital.. but I've since switched to a Microfiber pad and a 3000 RPM Random Orbital that you can buy at any autoparts store. It is easier and yields the same result. I then use Meguiar's Show Car Glaze to fill in any minor swirl marks and to enhance the shine.. it also prepares the surface to be waxed.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+SHOW+16

Either system will work fine. If you are on a budget the Turtle Wax Platinum series is fantastic especially on laquer or original finishes... With the prospect of it being discontinued I have been searching for a replacement and it looks like I will be using Meguiar's NXT paste wax and Ultimate Detailing Spray from now on. I will still be using Turtle Wax Ultimate on the lower portions of my car that still has the original laquer paint...

The newer generations of Meguiar's products are superior to the previous Gold Class series and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who has a clear coat finish.

For those with the factory laquer paint, I still recommend nothing but zymol, especially those with darker colors. Had I not found the Turtle Wax Platinum I would be still using it on my laquer paint.
1987 Monte LS, Lt. Blue/Dk. Blue, CL interior, 305 (LG4), TH-2004r, 2.41, 176k (weekend driver)

#693280 - 06/13/09 05:00 PM Re: Meguiars Ultimate vs. Turtle Wax Platinum [Re: 2manymontees]
Houlie Offline

Loc: Spencer, MA
one word............

............Zaino

#693343 - 06/13/09 08:48 PM Re: Meguiars Ultimate vs. Turtle Wax Platinum [Re: Houlie]
redlineSS Offline

Loc: South Jersey
X2................WORD up...............Zaino!

I am now a believer!!........Better than anything else I have ever tried!!

#693351 - 06/13/09 09:18 PM Re: Meguiars Ultimate vs. Turtle Wax Platinum [Re: redlineSS]
tonys57chevy Offline
10+ Year

Loc: little egg harbor nj
Zaino i said it before i wil say it again look at the pics in the wax post by far the best product on the market
1957 Chevy
85 SS, 86 SS 8,272 miles
www.wickedmontes.com www.wickedridesnj.com

#693618 - 06/14/09 07:22 PM Re: Meguiars Ultimate vs. Turtle Wax Platinum [Re: tonys57chevy]
upflying Offline
10+ Year

Loc: Reno, NV
Your favorite wax is like beer. It's hard habit to give up a brand for another. Many years ago, I used Classic paste wax. I thought it was the best and gradually changed over to more modern stuff when Classic disappeared.
I currently have several other brands in my garage that sit around with dust on them. I wasn't happy with the results or the application process.
I currently use Meguiars Gold Class Liquid. I am happy with it and it works for me. When I get the nerve up I will try the Meguiars NXT products.

#695832 - 06/20/09 09:52 AM Re: Meguiars Ultimate vs. Turtle Wax Platinum [Re: upflying]
chevelle502 Offline
10+ Year

Loc: Lutherville MD

3m compound, meguiars gold class and alot of time, lol!

The paint is about 15 years old, the hood about 6.
Mods: Jet stage 2 chip, 2.5" cat back with flow super 44's, K&N filter,extreme lid, chrome valve covers, custom interior from a 2003 Monte SS, 3.73 posi rear (waiting to install), re-built tranny, Elec fan setup, Msd Ignition, LED Headlights
http://chucks88ss.tripod.com/Montepics/index.album?i=1

#695854 - 06/20/09 11:29 AM Re: Meguiars Ultimate vs. Turtle Wax Platinum [Re: chevelle502]
BlueBoy84 Offline

Loc: Northern KY
I have several kinds sitting around in my garage as well.. Black Magic, NTX and a few others. I've always found that Maguires Gold Class paste gives me the best results. I'm going to give NTX another shot this week and see what I think. For some reasons, I've never liked the results with liquids.

Zaino's on my list to try, but man it's expensive. Now if there was someone at the Nationals selling it... I think I'd have to give it a try. I'm too impatient to order it online and wait. smile

L69 315 H.O., Lunati 60101 cam, Edelbrock TES, Flowmaster 40s, 2 1/2" exhaust; Frame-off in 2014 or 2015, ProTouring theme.
L69 Rebuild Blog: http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=837295#Post837295

#695855 - 06/20/09 11:31 AM Re: Meguiars Ultimate vs. Turtle Wax Platinum [Re: BlueBoy84]
BlueBoy84 Offline

Loc: Northern KY
There was a thread last summer about a consumer reports article comparing the brands of wax. IIRC, Black Magic was right at the top.

L69 315 H.O., Lunati 60101 cam, Edelbrock TES, Flowmaster 40s, 2 1/2" exhaust; Frame-off in 2014 or 2015, ProTouring theme.
L69 Rebuild Blog: http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=837295#Post837295

#696606 - 06/22/09 11:54 AM Re: Meguiars Ultimate vs. Turtle Wax Platinum [Re: BlueBoy84]
MikePEI Offline

Loc: Charlottetown,PEI,Canada
What do you guys use for wax on light colored paint, say white or grey??

81-355/325hp and 87SS original, 1929 Model A Custom powered by Chevy
Mike PEI

#696634 - 06/22/09 01:24 PM Re: Meguiars Ultimate vs. Turtle Wax Platinum [Re: MikePEI]
tonys57chevy Offline
10+ Year

Loc: little egg harbor nj
zaino
1957 Chevy
85 SS, 86 SS 8,272 miles
www.wickedmontes.com www.wickedridesnj.com

Random Images
500/thumbs/monte27.jpg
by NYLilaFan
500/thumbs/87powerlocks_1200x873_.jpg
by ls1_monte