MonteCarloSS.com
Topic Options
#639067 - 01/16/09 06:07 PM how to frame notch a g-body
83montecarlo632bbc Offline

Loc: omaha nebraska
this first pic shows where to cut on the wheel well, notcie i cut it about 1" back from the factory seam between the inner and outer wheel house, also notice how i cut the trunk hinge mount from the wheel well, REMEMBER KEEP ALL PIECES YOU CUT OUT because you will need every single piece so try not to butcher them beyond recognition!!! this cut will need to go all of the way around the wheel well into the interior of the car, you will also have to take another piece out of the interior of the car where the wheel well will be moved inward, save all pieces!!

So now that you have the wheel well cut you can move on so you can get the rest of the trunk floor removed, this cut here is in the front of the trunk where the trunk meets the interior, i again cut 1" back to leave a lip to weld to, notice the yellow cut lines again, remember keep every piece!!

this next cut is where the trunk floor meets the fenders, i had to draw this in paint brush so you could understand it better, this is looking from the rear of the car, notice lip to weld to

here is the next cut, this is looking from the top of the car down on the trunk floor, remember keep every piece!!!

after this cut the whole trunk floor/wheelwells should be ready to slide out.

Once all of the sheetmetal is removed you can move on with the frame notching

this first pic shows a side view of the frame rail, you will notice the factory seam of the frame rail, you will need to cut on this seam on the top, for the bottom of the frame rail cut straight down from the top seam to make the cut vertical

this next photo shows where i cut on the front and back, you just need to go far enought to where it will clear your tires

after you get the rail cut out this is what you will need to do to that piece

next you need to reinstall the piece you just cut out, here is a photo of about what it looks like installed

the next thing i did i decided to build a new rear frame to get rid of the spare tire well etc, here is where i cut it, sorry the only photos i have are of it allready welded

notice the new rear frame i built that will mount my fuel cell and battery box, frame is made with 2"x3" .120" wall tube

installed pic of new rear frame, notice where i stubbed it into the factory frame, it needs to be right there to get the height right so the new floor will be level when you put in the new sheet metal

1985 monte carlo ss "street car"
eventually will be powered by a 434 ci sbc f2 procharged

#639077 - 01/16/09 06:37 PM how to frame notch a g body part 2
83montecarlo632bbc Offline

Loc: omaha nebraska
also notice i installed an anti roll bar, here is a side shot of the sleece that goes thru the frame for the anti roll bar

now after everything is welded up its time for some sheetmetal, this is how i did that.

first i started with skinning the bottom of the trunk floor with a piece of 16 gauge steel sheet, notice in these pics where th steel goes above the lips on the fenders and below the cut at the rear of the car and goes underneath the hump for the trunk latch

this view ias from the rear of the car

notice in this pic the piece of 3/4"x3/4" angle that i installed at the front edge of the sheetmetal and welded to the frame rails to support the front of the trunk floor and so you have something to weld the next piece of sheetmetal too

the next piece is the piece that covers the rest of the floor from the front edge of the last piece to the front of the trunk

Notice i bent this piece but can be made in 2 pieces, i bent it by drawing a line where it needed bent and took a cut off wheel on a grinder and cut it about 50% of the way through to weaken it, then i laid it on the bench and with some presuasion i bent it and then welded the inside of the bend with skip welds to restrengthen it

notice how it welds to the piece of angle i installed on the last piece

the next pieces to make are the wheel tubs, the way i did it you will not be able to use the factory trunk hinges as i am using a fiberglass pin on trunklid, i would of bought a set of pre-made wheel tubs but they wont match the arch of the factory very well and i made them cheaper anyways

here is what you need to make, looks tough but is really easy