MonteCarloSS.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#395757 - 01/02/07 10:05 PM Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte SS??
2manymontees Offline

Loc: Whitmore Lake, MI
Calling on the Monte Gurus...

I sent this to a member via a private message, and thought maybe it would be a good topic for discussion. Is there anyone out there who has any credible documentation concerning the supposed Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte SS uniquely optioned by Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet in North Carolina.

I've been told by several credible sources, including the dealership themsleves, that between 250-300 of these cars were sold which included exclusive badging and an authentic signature by Dale Earnhardt made from 86-88. To further complicate things, I've also been told by so-called "experts", (not the dealer themselves), that they were only available in black some claiming that no Aerocoupes were made, while others claim that they were, and some even claim that they came with special gauges.

Amounst all the SS's sold by Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet from 86-88 that I've seen, all of them are identical to a regular SS besides the fact that their dealer decal is on the trunk lid. None of these cars had Dale's signature on the dash plate as claimed by the dealer.

What I want to know is if they do exist, is what exaclty constitutes the car as being a "special Dale Earnhardt edition" Monte SS as opposed to a normal Monte SS sold by them. I am still confident that no such Monte SS was ever built and that people mistake SS's sold by Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet with their emblem on the trunk lid for a "special edition" Monte SS.

Perhaps what the dealer is talking about is possible if Dale himself agreed to sign off on some of the cars they sold, but this hardly makes them a "special edition" its merely a Monte Carlo SS sold by Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet with his signature.

I've yet to see and credible documentation regarding these cars, but if there are such cars and there is credible documentation out there to back it up, I'd sure like to know about them. Wouldn't you guys too??
1987 Monte LS, Lt. Blue/Dk. Blue, CL interior, 305 (LG4), TH-2004r, 2.41, 176k (weekend driver)

#395776 - 01/02/07 10:54 PM Re: Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte SS?? [Re: 2manymontees]
87z16 Offline

Loc: traffic island, ny
http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5396&page=0&fpart=2

do a search on this topic. this has been discussed. and good points are made against this car existing.
http://www.1987aerocoupe.homestead.com

#395799 - 01/03/07 12:28 AM Re: Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte SS?? [Re: 87z16]
baaboo Offline

Loc: Racine, WI
Is this that dark blue one that cruises the HR Power Tour? Somebody with some skill did the underhood fabbing on that puppy!!!!

#395839 - 01/03/07 06:00 AM Re: Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte SS?? [Re: ]
mannblk Offline
10+ Year

Loc: NC
Earnhardt Chevy did not open until 1987, in Newton,NC. The cars sold there do have the little "tag" that ALL dealerships use to promote their dealerships. (aka: advertise) The fact of the matter, the dealership NEVER made any "special edition" 4th gen Monte's. They have since, made a few "dealer prepared" cars & trucks at the dealership, to sell to the public. most of these are just add on decals and such. But again, NO 4th gen "Ernhardt Edition" Monte's were ever sold at the dealership. Just the same SS's you could by at any normal Chevy dealership at that time.HTH

The fact that a few dash inserts have been signed/autographed usually means that the owners stood in line at an autograph sesion to get items signed. This in no way makes the car "special". It does mean that they, or the previous owners, were die-hard fans willing to wait in long lines for houirs sometimes. And BTW... the dealership sells those little tags in their souvenier shop as well as DEI. So the fact of the matter is... ANYONE can now apply these tags and *say* their car was sold at his dealership. The only real proof is if they have the paperwork to prove it. So, buyer be wear.

I am and always will be an Earnhardt fan. None of my SS's came from/through his dealership. My 86 was however purchased new and spent it's entire life in his hometown until I bought it a few years ago. Does that make it any more special... no. just a nice little "story" to go with the car.

Also, I have asked this very question to the sales manager at his dealership. So, the answer is valid.

#395872 - 01/03/07 08:50 AM Re: Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte SS?? [Re: mannblk]
87z16 Offline

Loc: traffic island, ny
HEY WAIT A MINUTE!! do u mean that since i went to DEI and have a dealer sticker my aero is now a special edition??

http://www.1987aerocoupe.homestead.com

#395905 - 01/03/07 11:03 AM Re: Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte SS?? [Re: 87z16]
Rat Pack Offline

Loc: Maryville TN
mannblk is correct. Never any "special edition" SS Montes from Earnhardt until the 6th gen cars. GMMG built the "Intimidator SS" edition Camaro, and some of them got the speedometer autographed before his untimely death. There are many street copies done in full race graphics of his 88 Aero coupe and even some done up in coupe form, but they were not part of any Special DE Edtion MC. There is even a guy over here that claims he has a "Limited Edition" DE Chevrolet Impala SS and it has all of the stickers from the 6th gen Monte Carlo on it and I believe Dale autographed the glovebox or something on the dash. Anyone will do anything to cash in on his name nowadays.......

You could order in late 1989 early 90 a complete set of Earnhardt decals to fit your Lumina. They were the exact ones put on the race car and were sold through the GM parts department. I put a set on a Lumina for West Chevrolet along with front facia, ground effects, rear spoiler, and a change of wheels & tires to make it look like his race car. We also did a clone of the City Chevrolet car used in the movie Days of Thunder. Instead of the word "City" in the bowtie we put "West" for the local dealer. That car got a ton of attention and was sold with the paint scheme and decals. Eventually the owner removed the decals and had the dealer paint the car back to its original white..........RatPack.......................

Link to GMMG "Intimidator SS": http://gmmginc.net/html/intimidator_camaro.html

#395925 - 01/03/07 12:21 PM Re: Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte SS?? [Re: Rat Pack]
Euro Offline

Loc: Batavia, IL
there were DE Montes in 5th and 6th Gens. I think 1995 and 2002 was the only years. And DE chevrolet did Lumina Z34's with an Earnhardt theme. Very limited production, the TRUE Z34's were only 1 of 25. they were made in 91 and 92. When i say TRUE, that means that there are "fakes" out there that people claim to be the real ones. But the ones sold by DE Chevrolet.
here is the 95 Monte Z34 1 of 25
http://www.msiwix.com/dale2.htm

here is the 92 Lumina Z34 1 of 25
http://www.wheelsofspeed.com/class/dez34lg.jpg

here is the 02 Monte #3 Earnhardt. 1 of 3,333
http://www.wheelsofspeed.com/class/clemlg.jpg

#395974 - 01/03/07 02:04 PM Re: Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte SS?? [Re: Euro]
2manymontees Offline

It seems all those so-called experts were wrong again... Am I correct in saying that "Perhaps what the dealer is talking about is possible if Dale himself agreed to sign off on some of the cars they sold, but this hardly makes them a "special edition" its merely a Monte Carlo SS sold by Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet with his signature."

I never believed any of them, and actually saw one of the so-called "Dale Earnhardt Edition" Monte SS's with a supposed factory 350 sell for $35,000 at a collector car auction many years ago. It did have custom guages with the #3 on the speedo, custom floor mats, embroidered head rests, and a #3 decal on the air cleaner.. The dash plaque had the Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet emblem and his signature.. There was PLENTY of documentation, but none of it "seemed" to be credible to me.... It seems that the myth of such a car existing has been debunked, not that I ever believed it in the first place :)/ Does anyone here remember the car I am talking about?? It was sold at the annual St. Louis collector car auction auction in 1998 or 99, can't remember for sure which year.
1987 Monte LS, Lt. Blue/Dk. Blue, CL interior, 305 (LG4), TH-2004r, 2.41, 176k (weekend driver)

#396015 - 01/03/07 03:55 PM Re: Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte SS?? [Re: 2manymontees]
beachbum29 Offline

Loc: Upstate, Ny
interesting little bit of info there.. there was a guy up here trying to sell his black 86 monte ss hard top claiming it was a "special car" from Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet. The only proof of anything remotely close to what he claimed was the Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet badge on the trunk lid. Funny part was that the car was an obvious repaint hiding ALOT of bondo, and the trunk was rotted right out of the car, but just because of that little badge on the trunklid, he thought the car was worth $5000... we offered him $500 for the car as a parts car and the guy was just a touch upset with us.. oh well..... oh yeah, it skipped really bad, had new plugs/wires/cap and rotor on it, so had problems, was a hack job on headers/dual exhaust, missing the ac, and wouldn't pass nys inspection... never did see it again..
2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab..
http://www.beachbumstoybox.zoomshare.com/

#396318 - 01/04/07 11:29 AM Re: Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte SS?? [Re: beachbum29]
asche Offline
10+ Year

Loc: Houston, Texas
Would you really want a Chevy Lumenia even with all that stuff added on? Is the LUmenia 's looks all that much improved over stock? Is it just me or am I the only one who thinks these specal edition cars aren't special at all? Okay so they've got decals & stripes out the wazu, D.E's signature everywhere BUT does the car itself go any faster or handle any better then a regular Lumenia? You see, that's how I define a car special. For example, the 87 GNX was truly a special edition car compared to a GN. It had engine, suspension & specific guages that the GN didn't recieve. With limited production and availiblity, that made it special.
Just because a car was sold at a specific dealership and even had DE's pesrsonal blessing, does not make it special in my book.
I never understood the popularity of having someonelse's name and number platered all over a car that YOU bought. Purhaps this is just a southern thing but I don't get it. I'm sure DE was a great man but I don't think having my own personal ride being a rolling advertisement for his dealership is MY resposeibility. When I buy a new car I make sure the dealer takes all dealer decals,mame plates, logos,lisence plate frames,etc off of my new car. You too can do this.
As a longtime member here I've seen several 86-88 MCSS's posted here from ebay where you can see the present owner spent a fair ammount of money painting his MCSS in 2 tone colors (silver & black), red pinstripping or border stripe, along with a generous supply of DE stickers on badges applied on the Monte Carlo's 4 corners. Some owners even put a goodwrench 350 under the hood and tout its special status. Enough all ready.
I guess the point I'm trying to make you all aware of is; a special edition car is special because it handles better, goes faster, and stops quicker then its normal sibling.
If GM spent its time more wisely producing cars that the american public would like to buy instead of these so called special edition cars that only a few of the american public are interested in GM wouldn't be in shape it finds itself today. Touchy subject, sorry for the rant.

#396599 - 01/05/07 03:40 AM Re: Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte SS?? [Re: asche]
Euro Offline

well....the real DE Lumina's were 3.4 DOHC Z34's. they were one of the quickest cars of the early 90's. doing mid/high 15's for a v6 in the early 90's was awesome. and they handled very well also.

dont knock the lumina.........

#397238 - 01/07/07 11:25 AM Re: Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte SS?? [Re: Euro]
swankerme Offline

Loc: Abilene, Texas

#397285 - 01/07/07 01:53 PM Re: Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte SS?? [Re: swankerme]
asche Offline
10+ Year

LOL! So how much is that little Earnhart sticker that everyone seems to want?
As for the Luminia; it is what it is and that all that there is.

#397288 - 01/07/07 02:11 PM Re: Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte SS?? [Re: asche]
Bri86SS Offline

Loc: Phila, PA
Just saw a '87 or '88 last night in front of me. First time I ever saw one with badge on the trunk lid. Car was silver, was in nice shape too. Funny, you guys are talking about this car and now they are popping up.

Brian

#397298 - 01/07/07 03:24 PM Re: Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte SS?? [Re: Bri86SS]
swankerme Offline

Loc: Abilene, Texas
Is it just me or are the T-Tops different on that car? It seems like there is more "roof" near the front windshield. Do you think it is an aftermarket job?

#397307 - 01/07/07 03:51 PM Re: Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte SS?? [Re: swankerme]
Phoenix Offline

Loc: Kansas City, Missouri
Yeah, I don't know what is up with those t-s, but they are not standard Monte t-s, I think. Maybe from an Iroc? I'm supposing it is a chop job. Also, the only Dale car I've ever seen that was remotely believable was an aero with some ground effects that were absolutely NOT Lauren Engineering. They looked like factory Camaro ones instead.

#397346 - 01/07/07 05:48 PM Re: Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte SS?? [Re: Phoenix]
tonys57chevy Offline
10+ Year

Loc: little egg harbor nj
i have one of those badges on my trunk too
1957 Chevy
85 SS, 86 SS 8,272 miles
www.wickedmontes.com www.wickedridesnj.com

#397378 - 01/07/07 07:24 PM Re: Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte SS?? [Re: tonys57chevy]
sideways Offline

Loc: Niles, Ohio
T-tops are aftermarket, C&C's
86 GP LE 355, T5

#397752 - 01/08/07 05:37 PM Re: Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte SS?? [Re: Euro]
2manymontees Offline

Originally Posted By: Euro
well....the real DE Lumina's were 3.4 DOHC Z34's. they were one of the quickest cars of the early 90's. doing mid/high 15's for a v6 in the early 90's was awesome. and they handled very well also.

I guess we can't. It WAS the best car besides the Camaro and Vette in the post rear wheel drive era of the late 80's-early 90's and given that the Lumina was Chevy's Nascar replacement for the Monte Carlo we should have embraced the transistion to it and to FWD. But why didn't we? What GM didn't seem to understand is that us car guys think that FWD sucks no matter what its got under the hood.. Heck whats stock about a stock car anymore?? From what I gather only the front clip and trunk lid need to be in production. And the general body lines need to be "close" to the production car. What about the good old days when GM had to build 200 Aerocoupes and Pontiac 2+2's in order for them to be raced?

I guess you could say that the 95-99 Monte was the Chevy's replacement for the Lumina as well, but it does still bother me when people compare a Lumina to its predecesor (the Monte Carlo) do to its association with Nascar. The 2 cars could not be more far apart, and when they brought the Monte Carlo back in 95, I could not have been more disappointed. All they did was slap a Monte emblem on a Lumina, what a shame. The newer 2000-2007's are nicer looking with some styling cues from the older Montees, but still no RWD. Does it matter what decals, suspension or engine any of these cars have?? The only car besides the Camaro, Firebird, and Vette that I've been excited about since 1988 was the 2004 GTO when it was re-released. And even then I was somewhat disappointed as the styling looked too much like the Grand AM. As much as it pains me to say it, I like the new Mustang more than any new car besides the Vette. Lets just hope GM learns a lesson and comes out with a killer Camaro soon with similiar retro styling, and maybe one day a REAL Monte Carlo (here's hoping). With the demise of the Monte Carlo scheduled for 2008, its very doubtful that it will ever be re-inacarnated ever again, giving us even more reason to appreciate the Montees that GM did build back in the 70's and 80's.

All this talk about 15 second Luminas makes me think back to Chevy's Golden Years when they made cars like the Corsica, Celebrity, and Beretta. Man those were some SWEET cars.. Can't wait to see what they'll bring in 20 years.. Has been scanned for sarcasm, none detected :)/

#397768 - 01/08/07 06:18 PM Re: Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte SS?? [Re: 2manymontees]
asche Offline
10+ Year

Hey you forgot the 80's Chevy Citation & the 70'd Chevette & Vega. Now those were cars that sparked fear at the traffic lights back in their day. Me, I'm still waiting on that metallic lime green 3 on the tree, diesel powered Lumenia to be released. Oh bother!

#397788 - 01/08/07 07:05 PM Re: Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte SS?? [Re: asche]
2manymontees Offline

thought we were only including 90's Chevy models :)/ The list is MUCH longer than that..

#397807 - 01/08/07 08:28 PM Re: Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte SS?? [Re: 2manymontees]
Rat Pack Offline

Loc: Maryville TN
Look closely at the engine compartment. Notice the fan shroud? It is from a 70-81 Camaro or 69-72 Chevelle as is the upper radiator mounting bracket modified to fit the car. Also about 2/3's of the driver's side of the shroud is missing. This car is probably worth $6500-7000 to someone that doesn't know what to look for. The C & C tops were commonly installed in SS cars around here as the dealers could order in a car w/o them and then add them if the buyer wanted to have them............RatPack.............

#397880 - 01/09/07 01:40 AM Re: Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte SS?? [Re: Rat Pack]
gmachinz Online   content

Loc: Des Moines, Iowa
Speaking of the DE Luminas, there is an older lady whose grandson I used to work with about 8 years ago who had the number #1 DE Lumina off the assembly line. The VIN had a number to the effect like #00001. She bought it new at Karl Chevrolet in Ankeny, IA. and it sits parked all year around outside under a tree next to her house. She was offered a brand new car every year for as long as she lived in exchange for that car back. Knowign how Karl is big into racing and the like, I can't belive he let it go-unless he didn't know it was the number 1 car at the time. So now it sits most of the time on the eastside of town and it is worth quite a bit of $$$ for nostalgias sake but she'll most likely never get rid of it-and it'll rot away over time. Sad. I keep tabs on it-I might see a for sale sign in it one day and then I'll have to hunt down NOS Lumina stuff...never thought I'd say that...lol.

Edited by gmachinz (01/09/07 01:42 AM)

#397885 - 01/09/07 02:17 AM Re: Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte SS?? [Re: 2manymontees]
Euro Offline

Originally Posted By: 2manymontees
Originally Posted By: Euro

I guess we can't. It WAS the best car besides the Camaro and Vette in the post rear wheel drive era of the late 80's-early 90's and given that the Lumina was Chevy's Nascar replacement for the Monte Carlo we should have embraced the transistion to it and to FWD. But why didn't we? What GM didn't seem to understand is that us car guys think that FWD sucks no matter what its got under the hood.. Heck whats stock about a stock car anymore?? From what I gather only the front clip and trunk lid need to be in production. And the general body lines need to be "close" to the production car. What about the good old days when GM had to build 200 Aerocoupes and Pontiac 2+2's in order for them to be raced?

I guess you could say that the 95-99 Monte was the Chevy's replacement for the Lumina as well, but it does still bother me when people compare a Lumina to its predecesor (the Monte Carlo) do to its association with Nascar. The 2 cars could not be more far apart, and when they brought the Monte Carlo back in 95, I could not have been more disappointed. All they did was slap a Monte emblem on a Lumina, what a shame. The newer 2000-2007's are nicer looking with some styling cues from the older Montees, but still no RWD. Does it matter what decals, suspension or engine any of these cars have?? The only car besides the Camaro, Firebird, and Vette that I've been excited about since 1988 was the 2004 GTO when it was re-released. And even then I was somewhat disappointed as the styling looked too much like the Grand AM. As much as it pains me to say it, I like the new Mustang more than any new car besides the Vette. Lets just hope GM learns a lesson and comes out with a killer Camaro soon with similiar retro styling, and maybe one day a REAL Monte Carlo (here's hoping). With the demise of the Monte Carlo scheduled for 2008, its very doubtful that it will ever be re-inacarnated ever again, giving us even more reason to appreciate the Montees that GM did build back in the 70's and 80's.

All this talk about 15 second Luminas makes me think back to Chevy's Golden Years when they made cars like the Corsica, Celebrity, and Beretta. Man those were some SWEET cars.. Can't wait to see what they'll bring in 20 years.. Has been scanned for sarcasm, none detected :)/

whatever...hate all guys want, everybody's got their own opinions. next im waiting to here comments about my lumina *rolls eyes*

#398098 - 01/09/07 05:19 PM Re: Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte SS?? [Re: Euro]
2manymontees Offline

There's nothing wrong with a Lumina, but its nothing like a Monte... Thats all I was trying to say..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Random Images
500/thumbs/car32.jpg
by Norwood86
500/thumbs/burleys_ss.JPG
by burley
500/thumbs/010.jpg
by pazzo1969
500/thumbs/Drivers_Side_Engine_bay_Medium_.JPG
by 1NJIMID8TOR
500/thumbs/05-07-08_1928.jpg
by Rebel87SS