MonteCarloSS.com
Topic Options
#297631 - 08/22/05 02:54 PM Move Temperature Sender From Head To Thermostat Housing ?
88 ISStock Offline
10+ Year

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Here's the Condition:
1. My new Canfield aluminum heads did not come drilled with the 1/2" NPT threaded hole for a temp sender.
2. The heads are installed, so I need a different location for the sender.

Since the stock thermostat housing has two of these threaded holes, I want to remove the sender with the vacuum hoses coming out and use that one for my temperature sender. What are the downsides?

I understand the top hose outlet goes to the MAP. Is it possible just to connect the MAP to staight manifold vacuum and have it "energized" all the time even before it's warmed up?

Next, I understand the bottom hose outlet leads either to, or from, the EFE flapper valve on the pass. exhaust manifold. Well, I'm eliminating the EFE now due to the SLP headers, so again is it acceptable to cut that out of the system?

I understand cold starts will suffer, but this is not a driver, and I think having the temp. sender working is more important than all the rest.

Anyone with experience from doing this?
383 11:1 plugged/decked 1pc. roller sbc with 2pc. RMS adapter and forged rotating assem., Canfield alum 215/65, Howards Hyd. Roller 226/234 525/532 -110, CCCQ-Jet on AirGap, Bilsteins & 2/3 coil off OEM's in front & Intrax Impala SS coils in rear. Currently going to T56

#297632 - 08/22/05 03:01 PM Re: Move Temperature Sender From Head To Thermostat Housing ?
Foompla Offline

Loc: North Bergen, New Jersey
i wouldnt. does your intake have any holes you can use?

#297633 - 08/22/05 05:00 PM Re: Move Temperature Sender From Head To Thermostat Housing ?
88 ISStock Offline
10+ Year

Quote:
Originally posted by mont-e_wanna-be:
i wouldnt. does your intake have any holes you can use?
I have a Weiand Action+ emissions midrise dual plane and it has all the same ports as the stock intake. I COULD put a tee in the normal opening where the heater hose goes in at the pass front but that is not my first choice. There is nothing else spare.
383 11:1 plugged/decked 1pc. roller sbc with 2pc. RMS adapter and forged rotating assem., Canfield alum 215/65, Howards Hyd. Roller 226/234 525/532 -110, CCCQ-Jet on AirGap, Bilsteins & 2/3 coil off OEM's in front & Intrax Impala SS coils in rear. Currently going to T56

#297634 - 08/22/05 05:21 PM Re: Move Temperature Sender From Head To Thermostat Housing ?
baaboo Offline

Loc: Racine, WI
How about an unused port in the radiator or water pump? If the headers are off, I'd just drill and tap a hole in one head anyway. It should be easy enough to do. Secondly, here's what I see as an issue with using the thrmostat housing. It won't see any heat until the thermostat opens since it's on the "cold" side of the engine. I've always wondered what the temp difference would be between a sensor there, and in the head itself. I'm guessing that the head has to be a good bit higher. I guess if it fit and worked, you'd just have to get used to seeing what the temp is and what temp too hot is when it's there. If that thing ever got to 260, that might mean that the head coolant temp was 280???????????

#297635 - 08/22/05 06:28 PM Re: Move Temperature Sender From Head To Thermostat Housing ?
SSteve Offline
10+ Year

Loc: PA
I thought the thermal vaccum valve is just hooked up to the smog pump i've been runing mine with no thermal vaccum valve and had no problems

86 Monte Carlo SS,Stock L69 H.O.
200 4 R Trans with B&M Trans Pak stage 2 mods 15.80 @ 84 mph

#297636 - 08/22/05 09:40 PM Re: Move Temperature Sender From Head To Thermostat Housing ?
ReSSurrected Offline
10+ Year

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Quote:
Originally posted by 88 ISStock:
[QUOTE] I COULD put a tee in the normal opening...
That is NOT going to work. There will be zero water flow within the tee fitting, and the temp sender will basically be reading the temp of same water at all times... the temp sender needs to be in the FLOW of the water, not on a dead-end fitting like a tee.

Scott

#297637 - 08/27/05 11:15 PM Re: Move Temperature Sender From Head To Thermostat Housing ?
Russ Offline

Loc: Yacolt, Washington, USA
I am dealing with a similar issue on my blown 350 with Canfields. I have been going crazy trying to fix my "overheating issue and think I figured it out. I have my temp senders in the rear of the manifold because that was my only option. It appears as if I am getting readings from an area where steam pockets may be getting trapped. Here is my solution and it should be a solution for you too and allow you to use the tstat housing for your temp. http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=4754&prmenbr=361 I will not be using this exact kit due to my blower but will use the plate from it and make my own line and fitting set up. This allows a small amount of coolant to constantly circulate while bypassing the tstat and also removing steam pockets and maintaining a more balanced system. I would get readings up to 230 degrees on a hot day and shut it down but never actually overheat. Readings with a temp gun at the front of the block and radiator were 185-190. I guess I know why the factory never put the temp senders at the back of the block! I will post my progress next weekend when it is done.
Pics here of all my projects http://blown66ss.multiply.com/photos

#297638 - 08/31/05 05:15 AM Re: Move Temperature Sender From Head To Thermostat Housing ?
88 ISStock Offline
10+ Year

I have heard mention made of that kit, but here's what I'm trying. The Weiand intake has a flat boss on either front corner right over the water passage to head, so I drilled and tapped into one yesterday.

On your other point about the rear of block running hot, was told by a race shop they have had success running a fitting and water hose from the rear to front of either each head or the intake to provide cross-cooling.

Sure enough, there's 4 plugged openings right at the corners on the new Airgap intake I got that appear specifically intended for this purpose. One time he said to connect the rear of both sides, and then he mentioned connecting rear to front of each side.

Random Images
500/thumbs/doors_004.JPG
by BaerMonteSS83
740/thumbs/The_Monte13.JPG
by 88MonteLSguy
500/thumbs/Monte218.jpg
by SeanSC85
961/thumbs/shifter_complete.jpg
by jrz126
831/thumbs/carlos1.jpg
by Frenzy
Help MonteCarloSS.com