Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#245007 - 02/15/04 05:50 AM STICKY: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer  
lazygearhead Offline
lazygearhead  Offline

Atlanta, GA
Subject – Removing Computer

One of the most frequently asked questions deals with the stock computer system on the Monte Carlo SS. The computer system is often removed, and many like to know how this is done.

Disclaimer: Please note, performing this operation will render your car emissions illegal, and will not be able to pass visual emissions inspection, and most likely, tailpipe emissions inspection as well. This write up also assumes you are capable of installing a carburetor and distributor, timing, and tuning the motor. Also, the owner, administration, staff, membership nor anyone else affiliated with www.montecarloss.com assume no legal liability implied or otherwise for the content in this guide. Use at your own risk! Furthermore, there is no affiliation with the products and companies mentioned in the links below. There are other products available, but those were simply the most convenient links to site at the time of composition

Many Monte Carlo owners have issues when they change the carburetor or the distributor. The problem is that both of these items are computer controlled, removing one of them for a non computer controlled unit will make the car run very poorly. The computer controlled Quadra-Jet has both a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and a Mixture Control Solenoid (MCS). These are directly linked to the computer, as in input and output, respectively. The TPS just tells the computer how much throttle is applied, and the MCS either richens or leans out the mixture, based on the input of the O2 sensor, among other components. In the event that the computer controlled Distributor is removed for a traditional vacuum advance counterpart, but the Quad is not, you will run into a serious issue: The computer will set the MCS to full rich, so gas mileage and drivability will suffer. Should you replace the Quad with a non CC replacement, you will have poor drivability, as the computer is no longer getting input from the TPS sensor, and the distributor will not advance timing.

To remedy these issues, both a non CC carburetor and a traditional vacuum advance distributor need to be used. If you are to use the stock intake manifold, you must get a spread bore carburetor, or an adapter. This would be an excellent point to upgrade your intake manifold, and you can get a dual spread bore/square bore design intake manifold, and run whatever carburetor you want.

The computer is located in the passenger side kick panel. You will need to remove the metal floor “Body by Fisher” panel on that side, and then remove the kick panel. Removing the computer should be self explanatory, get it out of the kick panel, and disconnect it from the wiring harness. There are two halves of the wiring harness, and you will need to remove the computer/engine harness. You will need to remove the passenger side wheel well to get to the hole in the firewall where the harness goes through. There is a bolt and bracket holding the grommet in that encases the harness, remove this, and pull grommet/harness through. Now trace this back to the motor, and disconnect anything it connects to. All the items it does connect to may be removed (but use common sense, the transmission can’t be removed). This harness is not at all connected to the harness that runs the gauges and A/C, etc., so all other functions will be fine, and it will remove easily. Now just reinstall everything you took out, making sure to replace the grommet, though no wires will br going through it, so water does not find its way into the vehicle.

At this point, everything should be installed and running, (assuming you have the correct throttle brackets and etc.). You should be able to time the motor, have her running, but do not drive it, as there are two more things that need to be addressed. You need to adapt your TV cable to your non CC carburetor. Assuming you have a Holley or Edelbrock, you can use this product to attach your TV cable (for your 200-4R, if you have an 85+) up to your new carburetor. This is imperative for the life your transmission, so make sure it is done.
B&M TV Cable Adapters
TCI TV Cable Adapters
Holley TV cable Stud
Holley TV/Throttle Bracket

Finally, you need a lockup kit, to lockup your torque converter at highway speed. This saves gas and helps the transmission run cooler. Note- often people just run a toggle switch (like keeping the part of the harness that goes to the trans and having pins A and F od the ALDL connector on either side of the switch), but I recommend a lockup kit, because the toggle switch is easy to foget about disengaging after a long trip, which will result in trans damage.

B&M Lockup kit
TCI Lockup Kit
Painless Lockup Kit -Note, the Painless Harness is for a 700-R4, it will work, but you are unable to use the pan gasket, and the TCC solenoid
Superior Lockup Kit -You are looking for "The High gear lock-up package #K013 by Superior". This is a very simple kit, and works great, but you will need to use the plug off the harness that goes to the transmission, as it does not come with one.

For other information not contained in this guide, see The Engine Tech Section of the site. There's tons of info there.

Void where prohibited by law

http://members.cardomain.com/lazygearhead
#245008 - 02/15/04 11:26 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer  
lazygearhead Offline
lazygearhead  Offline

Atlanta, GA
I have opened this topic for corrections or additions. Please post them, but no questions. Limit questions to other topics, as they will be promptly deleted here. Thank you.

Mike

Void where prohibited by law

http://members.cardomain.com/lazygearhead
#245009 - 08/16/04 05:09 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer  
SS-EXPRESS Offline
SS-EXPRESS  Offline

Jersey
I would like to add that you don't need to buy a lock-up kit if you don't mind operating the TCC solenoid manually. Do a search in the Drivetrain forum for "You don't need to buy a lock-up kit" and I explain it all. Anyone can also e-mail me I have pictures and I developed single line AutoCAD drawings of how the system is wired.

1986 "White Diamond" Monte SS, 357cid, Dart Iron Eagle 180's, XE268H cam, 10:1, Performer RPM, Edelbrock 750, MSD6A, March pulleys, Hooker Longtubes, Pypes X-Pipe, 2.5" Flowmaster Super 10's, Eric Shertz built 200-4R with Pro-Torque 2800 stall, 2" drop kit. 17x8 IROC wheels
#245010 - 08/29/05 05:48 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer  
Jeremy Asher Offline
Jeremy Asher  Offline

Ogden, UT
Where do you tap in to power for the new distributor???

Jeremy 87 SS
#245011 - 08/29/05 07:26 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer  
robs 85ss Offline
15+ Year
robs 85ss  Offline
15+ Year

pa
The power and the tach wire should still be there. They are part of a different harness. The only thing you remove from the distributer is the 4? prong plug that controls the timing. The other wires. coil and tach, should still be there after you take out the computer harness

HTH

Rob

1985 Monte Carlo SS
Nasty 355/ Tremec 5 speed
#245012 - 10/02/05 02:39 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer  
Black Knight Offline
Black Knight  Offline

Burnaby BC Canada
The lock up vacuum switch from a 81 and up 3 speed auto will work on a 200R4 or 700R with no computer.

#245013 - 11/02/05 12:32 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer  
Black Knight Offline
Black Knight  Offline

Burnaby BC Canada
I have just done this and all you need is a wiring harness from a 81 and up non SS car. Its not as hard as it sounds.

#245014 - 11/02/05 01:07 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer  
85_SS Offline
15+ Year
85_SS  Offline
15+ Year

Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Black Knight:
I have just done this and all you need is a wiring harness from a 81 and up non SS car. Its not as hard as it sounds.
That won't work for US members - they have had the CCC system and computers since 1981. Canadian emissions laws/requirements varied greatly back then, as did the same car on each side of the border in this respect.

[Linked Image]
1985 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
5.7 LITRE / TES Headers / SShaker Hood / WC T-5 5-Speed
1970 Pontiac GTO
Orbit Orange Judge Re-creation / YZ RAIII 400 / M21 4-Speed
#245015 - 11/04/05 01:24 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer  
SlowBlackCar Offline
SlowBlackCar  Offline

Edison, New Jersey.
Can I unhook the computer componets, but yet stil leave them in the vehicle?

Monte SS...gone...

No more montes left... but I do have few Buicks...
#245016 - 11/17/05 02:32 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer  
Kazco Offline
Kazco  Offline

Cary, NC
Tranny Question:
We are in the process of replacing the engine and removing the computer. We have a question regarding the tranny. We have disconnected the computer from it and were wondering if we can drive it as is, while we wait on the lockup kit. Will it just act normal without locking up. We need to drive it a short distance
Another question, do we remove every wire from the computer on the engine bay side? Or, do we remove everything including the compuuter and just leave the inside cables sit there.

#245017 - 11/29/05 10:09 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer  
TUTTLE Offline
TUTTLE  Offline

westland, michigan
hello,I have a 1986 SS with 700r4 with no motor. the motor i have came out of a 1973 corvette has performer intake and a holly 750 double pumper and the dipstick comes out the block on the drivers side which will get in the way of the exh. manifold. the original 305 motor has dipstick out of pan on passenger side. wondering what all i need to do to put this motor in? and should i remove the computor. looking for the cheapest but right way to go! thanks......scott

#245018 - 11/29/05 10:48 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer  
Foompla Offline
Foompla  Offline

North Bergen, New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by TUTTLE:
hello,I have a 1986 SS with 700r4 with no motor. the motor i have came out of a 1973 corvette has performer intake and a holly 750 double pumper and the dipstick comes out the block on the drivers side which will get in the way of the exh. manifold. the original 305 motor has dipstick out of pan on passenger side. wondering what all i need to do to put this motor in? and should i remove the computor. looking for the cheapest but right way to go! thanks......scott
check out this link. itll tell you everything you need to know ;\)

web page

1987 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
Finally got the motor from the shop. Time to get to work!
#245019 - 12/04/05 08:49 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer  
RebelX Offline
RebelX  Offline

Salina, KS
dumb question. i have a 200R4 from an 86LS in my 88LS with no comp hooked up and it shifts fine. i use a Holley carb with a shiftercable, do i need a lock up to prevent damage or am i ok? does it have its own internal vacumn or do i need to run a line to it? sry. i know jack about tranny's

thank you for the directions on removing the comp n comp harness.

1998 Durango 4x4, 5.9L, CherryBomb Xtreme dumped, Nexen Roadian M/T's.
1988 Monte Carlo LS...in storage for my dads retirement present
1980 Monte Carlo SC...355ci/TH350 in the future
#245020 - 12/04/05 09:00 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer  
RebelX Offline
RebelX  Offline

Salina, KS
ok. can you send me all the pics n instructions. i didn't think it was but my TCC is still hooked up. will a 30 amp switch and a 30 amp inlise fuse be strong enough? i have them laying around.

my e-mail's xxhardcorechevyxx@yahoo.com also. how do i hook it up so it tells me if i forget to kick the switch off when i come off the highway?

1998 Durango 4x4, 5.9L, CherryBomb Xtreme dumped, Nexen Roadian M/T's.
1988 Monte Carlo LS...in storage for my dads retirement present
1980 Monte Carlo SC...355ci/TH350 in the future
#245021 - 01/01/06 08:13 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer  
viper killer Offline
viper killer  Offline

manhattan, new york
why would anyone want to take out the computer, i kept the computer and got jetchips to make me a remapped brand new chip, (the chips in the montes cannot be reprogrammed) and used a computer controlled rochester Q-jet, the chip retards the timing at criuse or idle sppeds and i get over 20mpg on the highway from a 406sbc with over 400hp and it advances the timing under full throttle, it knows this from the trottle position sensor on the q-jet and the bosch wide band sensor in the edelbrock TES headers which ups the horespower by around 30 at full throttle, keep the computer, it can be your friend if you know how!!
We interupted the wire going to control the air pump so i can switch it off when i need more power and programmed the chip to lock up the converter at low rpms becuase of the torquey motor and installed a ratchet shifter so as i can override it when i want to race, the computer can give you a balance between street and strip and the best of both worlds.

MONTECARLO SS AEROCOUPE..UUNBEATEN IN WINSTON CUP CHAMPIONSHIP ATEMPTS DURING MODEL YEAR PRODUCTION
#245022 - 01/24/06 03:50 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer  
CJV Offline
10+ Year
CJV  Offline
10+ Year

Keyport, NJ
well said viper killer, that sounds very similar to what i plan on doing when i upgrade my motor. Definatally keeping the computer and getting a custom mapped chip.

#245023 - 01/24/06 04:45 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer  
bone head Offline
bone head  Offline

san jose ca.
this has got to be the most informitive post of all time from both ends wild to mild my hat is off to all

#245024 - 02/24/06 06:18 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer  
Blackened Offline
Blackened  Offline

Ontario,Canada
I'd have to agree with that,but it only fills my head with more questions and leaves me wondering which is the best way to go.I do like what "viper killer" said...A remapped chip sounds a lot cheaper than buying a carb,intake and distributor and going through the set up of it all.I guess it a personal preference thing?!?!
-Blackened.

#245025 - 07/26/06 12:11 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer  
Staten Island SS Offline
Staten Island SS  Offline

Staten Island, NY
What about on an 87? The wiring is different than an 86. Can anything connected to the computer harness really bne removed?

Kurtis
#245026 - 08/13/06 09:57 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer  
johnz138 Offline
15+ Year
johnz138  Offline
15+ Year

Sterling Heights, Mi
Quote:
Originally posted by Staten Island SS:
What about on an 87? The wiring is different than an 86. Can anything connected to the computer harness really bne removed?
yes.

1987 Monte Carlo SS, Lightning Rod equipped, engineless/2004-R,Holley carb, edelbrock intake, heddman headers, moog,Iceman crossmember, energy suspension, eibach springs,so much more,no computer/emissions.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2167110
wave
#245027 - 09/16/06 12:39 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer  
First Project Offline
First Project  Offline

Pittsburgh, PA
hey, for me your links dont work, its going to the jegs webpage main page. help!

-Sean- Project "SStealth"

86ttop: That will buff right out.
tri5ss: Maybe with a 36 grit sanding disc!
#245028 - 09/16/06 12:48 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer  
SlowBlackCar Offline
SlowBlackCar  Offline

Edison, New Jersey.
It was made over 2 years ago...

They are links to items jegs has.

Monte SS...gone...

No more montes left... but I do have few Buicks...
#417861 - 03/08/07 07:12 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: lazygearhead]  
LT1/6monte Offline
LT1/6monte  Offline

urbana/ill,usa
Good read guys. Thanks

#432143 - 04/19/07 02:05 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: LT1/6monte]  
84ss_stock4now Offline
84ss_stock4now  Offline

indiana
i done away with my comp with a used distributer and a 650 helloy carb and it ran twice as good

84ss 385 stroker aluminum heads 3000 stahl dynomax mufflers b&m shifter 2nd stage b&m shift kit msd ignition 586 hp at flywheel
#435568 - 05/02/07 03:21 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 84ss_stock4now]  
06mcss Offline
06mcss  Offline

Killeen, TX
I have a question please. my brother has a 87ss, he had the comp. removed. he has a holley carb and a non- cc dist. on it now. but his tranny is wineing on accel. without shifting till he gets up to about 35mph. he has a over drive switch in it for his od gear to use for the highway. what could be causing this wineing shift? tia.....Bill

#435710 - 05/02/07 11:56 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 06mcss]  
mannblk Offline
15+ Year
mannblk  Offline
15+ Year

NC
Sounds like a TV cable issue. I would check this out first. Aftermarket companies sell brakets to make it possible to have the TV cables adjusted and working properly. HTH

Jeff

I know I don't get there often enough, but God knows I surely try.
It's a magic kind of medicine, that no doctor could perscribe.
Jimmy Buffett One Particular Harbor
#439305 - 05/14/07 11:54 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: lazygearhead]  
Expired Offline
10+ Year
Expired  Offline
10+ Year

Anytown, USA
I just want to make sure I am removing all of the correct harnesses....

Here is a picture I took of the wiring harnesses that connect to the computer. My question is do I also unplug the connector(looks like two connectors into one) at the top of the picture(hangs down from the dash) as well? They all seem to be connected...I dont want to lose my HVAC controls, etc... I haven't used this computer in 8 years, so I am cleaning up unwanted engine bay clutter(tucked the harness into the inner fender)

Also, wouldn't it be easier to clip the connectors off the harness to get them through the firewall?

Thanks for all of the help...

-Josh

#439320 - 05/14/07 12:39 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Expired]  
robs 85ss Offline
15+ Year
robs 85ss  Offline
15+ Year

pa
Those two connectors are for the computer only. Unplug them from your dash harness and you can push them through the firewall. For the cleanest removal you should take out your passenger side wheelwell and you can take the whole harness/gromet out without cutting anything just make sure you plug the whole. You wont lose control of your hvac stuff that is all on a separate harness. HTH

Rob

1985 Monte Carlo SS
Nasty 355/ Tremec 5 speed
#460546 - 07/17/07 06:15 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 06mcss]  
RICK2 Offline
RICK2  Offline

York Nebraska
I have heard both good and bad on computer chips. Who do I believe? Would the Jegs part no. be 18702 for stock application? Would I really notice a difference? Is it worth 160.00? Thanx!

#460575 - 07/17/07 08:27 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: RICK2]  
85_SS Offline
15+ Year
85_SS  Offline
15+ Year

Ontario, Canada
 Originally Posted By: RICK2
Is it worth 160.00? Thanx!

Absolutely not. If you can find one dirt cheap it is worth tossing in, but I have used a couple different ones I picked up over the years and you will never notice a difference.

[Linked Image]
1970 Pontiac GTO
#460580 - 07/17/07 08:33 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 85_SS]  
Gruvin Offline
15+ Year
Gruvin  Offline
15+ Year

Texas
 Originally Posted By: 85_SS
 Originally Posted By: RICK2
Is it worth 160.00? Thanx!

Absolutely not. If you can find one dirt cheap it is worth tossing in, but I have used a couple different ones I picked up over the years and you will never notice a difference.
There is only one person that I would get a chip from, I can PM you the details... He does specific work to the GM configuration but I think he only does the 1987 and 1988 years...

My first SS! Sold Jan 2004
[Linked Image]
87 SS bought 9-5-04: Sold 6-18-2010 - project 87 finds a new home with another undisclosed MonteCarloSS.com member!
#467985 - 08/07/07 10:55 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 06mcss]  
blackskies Offline
blackskies  Offline

guelph ontario
Hi All,can anyone help me .I have a 83 ss and orig trans I think 350c 3 speed,and Im wondering if Ill need a lockup kit or not,,I running a holly carb and hei dist and I want to put in a vacuum dist and pull the comp,does my trans have a lockup already? What do I need to do to get rid of the comp , I read all this page and maybe missing something, my comp aint running much anymore but still affects the timing when I unplug the 4 plug harness for dist to set timing, Anyone can tell me how to do this correct? Thanks!

is this what I need ???
http://www.txchange.com/sk.htm

THM 350C Lockup 1980up
Automatic shift; Street or full-race; Holds 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to any rpm; Back shifts to 3rd, 2nd and 1St at any rpm; prevents 2-3 clutch failure; Tow & GO and competition combination

Blackskies.

Last edited by blackskies; 08/07/07 11:15 PM.

#489653 - 10/05/07 02:21 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: blackskies]  
Kick85monte Offline
Kick85monte  Offline

Lakefield, MN
does an 81 non SS have a computer? im pretty sure its not the origanal motor as well, but it might.

#490233 - 10/07/07 12:17 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Kick85monte]  
Kick85monte Offline
Kick85monte  Offline

Lakefield, MN
anyone know if you can swap a 350 out of an older car and still use the computer as well

#490248 - 10/07/07 01:35 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Kick85monte]  
32v_dohc Offline
10+ Year
32v_dohc  Offline
10+ Year

my garage
The CCC computer has no concept of engine displacement. It controls primary jet area and spark advance.

HTH

John

#490381 - 10/07/07 02:42 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 32v_dohc]  
Kick85monte Offline
Kick85monte  Offline

Lakefield, MN
cool. so if i wanted to rn a bigger carb what would i have to do? also with the intake probably being different. adapter or what??

#490407 - 10/07/07 03:49 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Kick85monte]  
85_SS Offline
15+ Year
85_SS  Offline
15+ Year

Ontario, Canada
The stock carb will flow 750cfm with minor mods, which is good for most street cars. In stock form, I believe it is mechanically limited to about 650cfm.

[Linked Image]
1970 Pontiac GTO
#490413 - 10/07/07 04:07 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 85_SS]  
Kick85monte Offline
Kick85monte  Offline

Lakefield, MN
will the intake from the 305 bolt up to a 350 and be big enough? im not even sure if my carb is stock ill have to snap some pics. seems stock. its tiny it seems like. are there any aftermarket ones that will just bolt in with the computer?

#490608 - 10/08/07 12:42 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Kick85monte]  
Kick85monte Offline
Kick85monte  Offline

Lakefield, MN
anyone?

#490705 - 10/08/07 03:21 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Kick85monte]  
Kick85monte Offline
Kick85monte  Offline

Lakefield, MN
also, do i need a TV cable adapter for a th350 trans?

#491184 - 10/09/07 08:01 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 06mcss]  
POWEREDbyCHEVY Offline
POWEREDbyCHEVY  Offline

johnson city,TN
Thanks for the info. When I changed motors I didnt unhook my computer and the check engine light is on now I will unhook it.

Derek - 327 SBC - SMCC member
#491403 - 10/09/07 11:42 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: lazygearhead]  
85LT1SS Offline
85LT1SS  Offline

SSin City, LaSS VegaSS
OK guys, I'm new to the Monte Carlo SS world, I own an 85 Monte and I want to swap the motor to an LT4 I just finished building, the new motor is sitting in my garage with the wiring harnes to the side, what I need to know is exactly what to do to remove the computer.

I know where the comp. is located, and I can see the the stock harness splits in two, two plugs go to the computer and the other half goes to the dash, I am asuming that the dash harness stays, correct?

I guess I need to do a little more research on this.

Jose

85 SS
#491833 - 10/11/07 02:32 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 85LT1SS]  
crazyhorse1983ss Offline
crazyhorse1983ss  Offline

Abingdon, Va
I think "Big Guy" from Kentucky did this swap. He will be able to help you. let me see if I can locate him.

#491837 - 10/11/07 02:42 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: crazyhorse1983ss]  
crazyhorse1983ss Offline
crazyhorse1983ss  Offline

Abingdon, Va
oops actually it is John "1badss" look him up he knows .
 Originally Posted By: crazyhorse1983ss
I think "Big Guy" from Kentucky did this swap. He will be able to help you. let me see if I can locate him.

#493121 - 10/15/07 09:20 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: crazyhorse1983ss]  
84supersport Offline
84supersport  Offline

Louisville, KY
How do I get the harness out from under the dash? Do I need to pull the dash? I cant seem to get to it from behind the radio and I dont want to just yank on it. Also, Everthing under the steering column is a cluster f**k. How do you get the harness out from behind the fuse box. It looks like thats where it leads to.

84 Monte SS stolen September 2012. 077 DFE Jefferson County KY plate. $2500 reward. Vortec headed 350ci, th350, 3:73 limited slip cast aluminum cover, Autometer gauges, Pro-Stick, 2.5" fiberglass hood.

Matt
#493212 - 10/16/07 01:36 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 84supersport]  
Kick85monte Offline
Kick85monte  Offline

Lakefield, MN
also, do i need a TV cable adapter for a th350 trans?

can i run a 350 with the stock computer, with a bigger carb and intake?

#495971 - 10/25/07 04:27 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Kick85monte]  
Robs86MCLS Offline
Robs86MCLS  Offline

Lorette MB CANADA
HELP!!! this helped alot but it confused me too. i plan on installing a modified pontiac 400 with a th350, all rebuilt and originally from a 77 t/a. is there a way to keep the computer while doing this? i want to run dual 500 cfm holleys. does anyone have any idea where i could find adapters for the carbs and distributer? i guess i would have to run dual cc Qjets right? thanks for any help guys.

'86 MCLS stock 305 w/mild cam, basic setup, bodywork still not done.
'86 Jeep Comanche, 2 Blown Diffs, sitting indefinitely
'04 Dakota SLT 4.7 4X4 True Duals with Smithys Glasspacks, K&N Cold Air Intake and SCT Tuner(wrecked)

#500098 - 11/06/07 04:11 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 06mcss]  
monte87LSsssssssss Offline
monte87LSsssssssss  Offline

Marlton ,NJ
I cut all my wires from my computer..i run all mechanical gauges.. my distributer wire and starter wires were still fine so i just used them..now i have mild 350 with a turbo350 trans..i ran the vacuam from the trans to the edelbrock intake manifold and she seems to be shifting fine am i missing somthing..i just got her on the road and i dont want to blow anything up..is there anything i should look for or is she hooked up fine

1987 MonteCarlo LS---345HP/370torque GM ZZZ crate motor---Holley 670cfm Street avenger---Mallory HEI---TH350/shift kit/2300 stall converter---GN 8.5" rear 342 gears---2" drop spindles with 1" springs up front, Moroso drag springs in back---275/60r15 Mickey Thompson drag radials---reduced weight to about 3000 pounds even
#511327 - 12/11/07 03:17 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: monte87LSsssssssss]  
jigsaw Offline
jigsaw  Offline

Laredo TX
i need to know if this oil sensor is needed if u dont have a computer

i used a 'tee' to attach my oil pressure gauge sensor to the other one, but it keeps leaking oil through there.

can i remove it and install my oil pressure gauge sensor in it's place if i dont have a computer or do i still need to keep it

thanks

Last edited by jigsaw; 12/11/07 03:18 AM.
#511329 - 12/11/07 03:28 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: jigsaw]  
ss4ever Offline
15+ Year
ss4ever  Offline
15+ Year

Shelbina, Missouri
The two prong sensor was for the choke, would only let power through to the choke when there was oil pressure so that the choke wouldn't open up on it's own if you left the key on.

You can ditch it just make sure you run a wire to the choke that is not interupted by the pluggin for this sensor.

1983 Monte Carlo SS Turnkey ZZ4/700R4, Dakota Digital Instrument Cluster, 77k mile car. Many more mods to come soon.
#511837 - 12/12/07 10:25 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: ss4ever]  
POWEREDbyCHEVY Offline
POWEREDbyCHEVY  Offline

johnson city,TN
mine seeps a little oil and i dont have the two pronged sensor and T like you do.

Derek - 327 SBC - SMCC member
#515224 - 12/25/07 01:51 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: ss4ever]  
jigsaw Offline
jigsaw  Offline

Laredo TX
 Originally Posted By: ss4ever
The two prong sensor was for the choke, would only let power through to the choke when there was oil pressure so that the choke wouldn't open up on it's own if you left the key on.

You can ditch it just make sure you run a wire to the choke that is not interupted by the pluggin for this sensor.

say u have an edelbrock carb with manual choke? do u still need to run that wire?

also, assuming u have the 2004r transmission.... where would the aftermarket lock-up pressure sensor mount? if anybody has any pics of it installed or can guide me that would be great

thanks

#518529 - 01/04/08 04:54 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: jigsaw]  
Morgen D Offline
Morgen D  Offline

Des Moines, IA
so both harnesses running to the computer can be removed? with the exception of the wires running to the transmission right?

*1985 Monte Carlo SS -- Plans for Restoration, air ride, body drop, crazy stereo and new upholstery.*

When I rock 13" wire wheels, call me a low rider fan-- my rides sit pretty on big wheels.
#520392 - 01/10/08 02:42 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Morgen D]  
jigsaw Offline
jigsaw  Offline

Laredo TX
 Originally Posted By: Morgen D
so both harnesses running to the computer can be removed? with the exception of the wires running to the transmission right?

yes

#520449 - 01/10/08 06:08 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: jigsaw]  
84supersport Offline
84supersport  Offline

Louisville, KY
You might as well remove the ones goign to the tranny too, they wont do anythingh without the computer. Make sure you get an aftermarket lock-up kit if yoiu have a 200-4r, I hear its bad for them to not lock up.

84 Monte SS stolen September 2012. 077 DFE Jefferson County KY plate. $2500 reward. Vortec headed 350ci, th350, 3:73 limited slip cast aluminum cover, Autometer gauges, Pro-Stick, 2.5" fiberglass hood.

Matt
#520461 - 01/10/08 07:07 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 84supersport]  
Onebadbowtie86 Offline
10+ Year
Onebadbowtie86  Offline
10+ Year

Traverse City Michigan
i cut out the two that went to the computer, but left the part going to the tranny, i put my lock up on a toggle switch by my shifter in the center console, i just left the plug in the tranny and grounded one of the wires, and then through power to one of them

'86 Monte carlo ss-Frame off resto-mod.
Ls2/t56/8.5"
#520590 - 01/10/08 09:33 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Onebadbowtie86]  
carman Offline
carman  Offline

easthaven ct
I just unpluged the computer and put on a new carb and intake,msd distributer is there anything else I have to do before i drive the car

#520681 - 01/11/08 01:07 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: carman]  
Onebadbowtie86 Offline
10+ Year
Onebadbowtie86  Offline
10+ Year

Traverse City Michigan
if its got lock up, you need to wire that up or get a lock up kit, i also heard it wasnt good to do alot of driving with outit, i think it builds alot of heat maybee?

'86 Monte carlo ss-Frame off resto-mod.
Ls2/t56/8.5"
#521050 - 01/12/08 02:56 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Onebadbowtie86]  
carman Offline
carman  Offline

easthaven ct
prong near the powersteering pump do i need this thanks

#522052 - 01/15/08 03:32 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: carman]  
jigsaw Offline
jigsaw  Offline

Laredo TX
 Originally Posted By: carman
prong near the powersteering pump do i need this thanks

only if ur keeping your a/c

#531671 - 02/11/08 03:46 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: carman]  
Purple87SS Offline
10+ Year
Purple87SS  Offline
10+ Year

South Jersey
 Originally Posted By: carman
I just unpluged the computer and put on a new carb and intake,msd distributer is there anything else I have to do before i drive the car

So in essence, once the proper carb/distributer/lock-up switch are all in (and pull the CES light) thats it? Do I really have to remove the wiring harness to the computer? It would be so much easier to just unhook the computer and leave the harness just in case the car would ever be convereted back to Computer controlled vehicle.

84 SS- Needs some parts!
87 Buick Regal Turbo T WE4-1 of 1547
#537685 - 02/26/08 12:19 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Purple87SS]  
BlueBoy84 Offline
10+ Year
BlueBoy84  Offline
10+ Year

Northern KY
I think it was asked but didn't see a response... I see you need to wire a lockup switch for the 200-4R, but what about the TH350 in the 83-84 SS?

Could someone post a link to a kit they've used with this transmission?

Thanks!

[Linked Image]

L69 315 H.O., Lunati 60101 cam, Edelbrock TES, Flowmaster 40s, 2 1/2" exhaust; Frame-off in 2015, ProTouring theme.
Old L69 Rebuild Blog: http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=837295#Post837295

#543498 - 03/11/08 03:32 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: BlueBoy84]  
redlineSS Offline
redlineSS  Offline

South Jersey
Re-read the very first post. You absolutely - positively need a TV valve corrector adapter part when using an aftermarket carb (edlebrock/holley). Either 200r4/700r4 MUST have the proper TV cable geometry to work the shifts in the trannys. Bowtieoverdrives.com has a very good write up on how all this stuff works and what is needed to "get it right" IMHO! I have used their kits in both 200r4 and 700r4 trannys and they work flawlessly. http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php

Dave

~Dave~
Monte Carlo...."Born on the Track, Driven on the Street"
#554342 - 04/07/08 08:49 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 06mcss]  
3.75stroke Offline
3.75stroke  Offline

ohio
How is it that this post is still up? It has been here for like 5 months. Cut the engine harness, use a regular carb and distributor, run a switch to control the lock-up on the converter. Now wasn't that easy enough?

383 SBC
Dart Heads
Air gap, 770 Holley
Comp Roller (238/242 .520/.540)
#555180 - 04/09/08 07:02 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 3.75stroke]  
timsblack88 Offline
timsblack88  Offline

St. Charles, MO, USA
When removing the computer, there are two harnesses plugged into the computer. Do both of these harnesses get removed or just one of them. if just one which is it?

#555248 - 04/09/08 09:54 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: lazygearhead]  
redbandit98 Offline
redbandit98  Offline

fort smith AR
hello all, This has probably been answered before but Im going to ask it again. I just removed the computer and harness from my 85 ss. The harness was all one piece except for one connection that hooked up to the engine harness. What is this connection for? It plugs into the harness that goes to the ac compressor, HVAC blower unit etc.. I did not feel like taking the loom off the harness and tracing the wires down. I think if i remember correctly it was a two pin harness, with pretty thick guaged wire so i assume it was powering something up.

thanks matt

#556053 - 04/11/08 10:59 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: redbandit98]  
jigsaw Offline
jigsaw  Offline

Laredo TX
the harness u say i think is the one with the thick red wire? that's for the blower motor not needed if ur not keeping your a/c or defrost.

when removing the computer, it has 2 main harnesses, one of the harnesses splits into 2. all of it has to be disconnected. everything (gauges, lighting,etc) has it's own harness

#557184 - 04/15/08 01:14 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: jigsaw]  
redbandit98 Offline
redbandit98  Offline

fort smith AR
no, i was wrong on the color. Here is a pic of the said connector. Im keeping all my hvac stuff. I hooked up the battery today and the blower came on, but the vent wouldnt move from defrost to the front vents. Im assuming that is probably ran by vaccuum? The car wont run so i cant check it now. here is the pic Its the little two prong connecter hanging by the manifold. It was connected to the computer harness and was the only thing connected to the engine harness. [img][/img]

and while im at it, what is this little booger right here? Its mounted on the passanger fenderwell (which is removed right now) right next to the electronic spark control module. Looks like a relay of some sort? Sorry about the questions.
[img][/img]

#557565 - 04/15/08 11:18 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: redbandit98]  
nunan Offline
nunan  Offline

Whippany Nj
if you remove the computer, does this allow the check engine light to come on and shut off when you initially start the car?

#558454 - 04/18/08 01:33 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: nunan]  
rons87mcss Offline
rons87mcss  Offline

PA
redbandit98, the top pic might be for the EGR sol or the blue plug on top of the carb(?) and it appears your EGR sol may not be present anymore(?). It should be mounted with the second to last bolt on the pass side back of intake.
The second pic is the ESC stuuf for the distributor. Not sure if you have vaccume advance now so it wouldn't be needed unless it is the newer style distributor that originally came on the car.

#558637 - 04/18/08 02:04 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: rons87mcss]  
Help me Offline
Help me  Offline

Detroit, Michigan
SO i see that you guys keep talking about the lock up with the 200/700r's now what about 350 trans? do i have to worry about a lock up with that? and how do you know if your even running a computer ? i bought my 87 ss with an goodrench 350 and edelbrock carb on it so does that mean the computers not hooked up?

#579445 - 06/21/08 03:11 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: redbandit98]  
A&G 4ME Offline
A&G 4ME  Offline

Virginia Beach, Va
Response to your second picture. You have two different items in that picture. The first item is the relay for your fast idle plunger on the carb. It extends the plunger out when the A/C is on to pick up the idle (blue wire can be seen in the pic). The second box is as you mentioned, part of the ESC Electronic Spark Control.

The plug in the first picture is either to one of your air injection system solenoids or it is the plug which actuates the mixture control solenoid in the carb. Wire color would tell you what it is. I believe the one for the carb has a blue and green wire in it. It would plug into the blue plug on top of the carb. My car is 15 miles away at my parents garage, along with my factory manual. Can't just run out to verify colors tonight. Can verify and repost.

87 Monte Carlo SS current project
68 Chevelle next project
09 Chevy Cobalt daily driver
#579668 - 06/21/08 11:45 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: A&G 4ME]  
A&G 4ME Offline
A&G 4ME  Offline

Virginia Beach, Va
Did some investigating today. The 2 prong plug shown in the first pic is part of the fast idle plunger wiring. It looks to be the plug that feeds the solenoid 12V and controls the solenoid via the computer grounding that wire. The pink/black stripe wire comes from the fuse box (IGN/ECM fuse 10 Amps) The black wire goes back to the computer for ground. The V6 and TBI Montes use this plug to control the fuel pump. The fast idle relay shown in the second pic serves as the fuel pump relay on those models. If the wires on that plug happen to be pink/black stripe and brown/white stripe, they are connected to the relay.

Hope this helps

87 Monte Carlo SS current project
68 Chevelle next project
09 Chevy Cobalt daily driver
#590866 - 07/25/08 02:47 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 06mcss]  
pearl83SS Offline
pearl83SS  Offline

Chicago
it just so happens, that when we swapped out the 305 for the new 383, we tried removing all the wires we could. we unplugged the computer totally (2 black clips) and since everything was out already, that huge loom of wires just came right out...easiest wiring i have ever done haha. i will probably need to get different gages for the dash, but id rather get new gages than have a 1 inch thick loom of wire all over the engine compartment. we are also going to need to run some new hot lines and such, but thats not hard and we can route those any way we want to!

83 ss monte, 383c.i., Holley 750, super 40's, 350 trans, 9" w/ 3.70's

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x67/pearl83SS/
#622291 - 11/14/08 12:55 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Help me]  
rob65 Offline
rob65  Offline

houston
Originally Posted By: Help me
SO i see that you guys keep talking about the lock up with the 200/700r's now what about 350 trans? do i have to worry about a lock up with that? and how do you know if your even running a computer ? i bought my 87 ss with an goodrench 350 and edelbrock carb on it so does that mean the computers not hooked up?

i also want to know about the transmission. most of my wire are cut i just have a few that are connected near the back of the motor, but dont want to disconnect if my i need a lock up kit

also why hasnt anyone posted picture?

#626258 - 11/29/08 01:14 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: rob65]  
ken87aero Offline
ken87aero  Offline

Bay Area, CA
Hey guys, figured i'd let all of you know what i found out the other day. You may already knwo this but-

I was talking to a smog ref (in cali) about getting my car to pass smog, and he mentioned to me i should just go to a TPI setup, and get rid of teh comp. carb/distributor and computer system cuz i was having problems.. i thought this was illegal but He said-
As long as you have a smog ref. inspect the new system and have him sign it off (and give you a little sticker for your door panel) its ok. It will now just be smogged as "that car". but the new system has to be same year or newer than your car.

please lemme know if something about this is not true.
thanks.

87 ss aero coupe. rebiult bored out gen1 350, vortec heads, "zz4" style rollers, performer cam, rebiult 200-4r + shift kit. "it's got a little giddy-up to it"
#629441 - 12/11/08 05:30 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 06mcss]  
1stCarMonteSS Offline
1stCarMonteSS  Offline

Marlboro Massachusetts
This is really imformative thanks everyone

88 SS. Got a 383 coming soon. No rear tires. Looks like a lion and it pulls like a fire ant!
#637802 - 01/13/09 01:54 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 06mcss]  
Urawsomejac Offline
Urawsomejac  Offline

Yardley, PA
why do people remove the computer?

#637817 - 01/13/09 02:40 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Urawsomejac]  
Gruvin Offline
15+ Year
Gruvin  Offline
15+ Year

Texas
Originally Posted By: Urawsomejac
why do people remove the computer?
good question... most common listed reason is something is not running right with the computer controlled carb system. I personally believe that keeping the stock computer controlled carb system intact and running is the best way to go for any monte that sees lots of street action. It is more than capable of running on a mild 454 with a little retuning.

[Linked Image]
87 SS bought 9-5-04: Sold 6-18-2010 - project 87 finds a new home with another undisclosed MonteCarloSS.com member!
#637820 - 01/13/09 02:44 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Gruvin]  
85_SS Offline
15+ Year
85_SS  Offline
15+ Year

Ontario, Canada
Most people simply want to clean up the engine bay, prefer the old school way of doing things, and/or don't understand how the system works and think it hinders performance. IMHO, it's a great/simple system that is quite versatile, offers mileage about equal to TPI, helps diagnose problems through trouble codes, and best of all is free smile

[Linked Image]
1970 Pontiac GTO
#646391 - 02/07/09 02:45 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 85_SS]  
jarid Offline
jarid  Offline

calgary, alberta
wow wow wow, I need more info! on the computer there is two plugs , one has 90% of its wires running into the engine bay, (i asume this is the engine harnes)it also has two wires running into the other harness. What are they for and what do i do with them, ----The other harness splits in half , 50% gos under the dash and 50 % go,s out the gromet. In the expanation it says replace gromet is that around that 50% split. my car is an 87 and its waiting till i can get answers

87ss 85ss 87ls all blended together to make 1 ss . 450hp 383ci , tci200r4 , 8.5"w/3.42 , all the suspension goodies. 13"baer brakes , nexxus guages, custom GSI int.no paint yet
#648347 - 02/12/09 10:09 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: jarid]  
AndreB Offline
AndreB  Offline

Milwaukee, Wi
so how hard is it to install the tci lockup kit. i jes got mines today from summit.
Its not alot of parts, just some electrical wires and some aluminum valve looking thingy.

85SS 350v8, 200-4r, bodywork and H4 upgrade coming soon
dreday1062000@yahoo.com
#651459 - 02/21/09 12:27 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: AndreB]  
bronk57 Offline
bronk57  Offline

custer wisconsin
Very informative post, thanks to all who posted!

#651686 - 02/22/09 01:29 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: bronk57]  
gg Offline
gg  Offline

gadsden alabama
i have a stupid question someone explain, pull the cc carb,and the cc distrib.put on a holley or edelbrock and a hei vac dist. leave the computer hooked up and you dont loose anything like trans lock-up and whatever else you loose when remove computer,i was just wondering,anybody done this???will it work and run ok?

#651845 - 02/22/09 04:43 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: gg]  
85_SS Offline
15+ Year
85_SS  Offline
15+ Year

Ontario, Canada
No - the CCC system is all or nothing. It will run fine, but the lockup won't work and the CCC system will be doing nothing. You will get nothing by an orange light shining in your face if you leave the ECM in place with a yanked CCC carb/distrib.

[Linked Image]
1970 Pontiac GTO
#652535 - 02/24/09 02:30 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 85_SS]  
gg Offline
gg  Offline

gadsden alabama
ok i just put a edelbrock carb on and left everything hooked up but the wires to carb "of course" ,this car runs better than it ever has, so you can leave everything hooked up but the carb.wires i plugged the map vac line up, and thats all, advance to dist. and trans ,and everthing else working perfect. pulled orange ck engine bulb, i am well pleased, thanks for all the input.

Last edited by gg; 02/24/09 02:31 AM.
#652726 - 02/24/09 06:47 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: gg]  
stallion Offline
stallion  Offline

New Bavaria Ohio
I have an 87 ss and the person who had it before me put a 350 out of a 93 caprice. The caprice was tbi and they converted back to carburated. They pretty much just swapped the intake and carb over. It ran ok the way they had it set up. I just currently rebuilt the quadrajet and i had it running. Now its not wanting to start now. Will the computer know the difference from the 305-350? should i eliminate the computer with this set up ???

#665128 - 03/28/09 08:45 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 85_SS]  
Trevor Johnson Offline
Trevor Johnson  Offline

Roanoke, Texas
Originally Posted By: 85_SS
No - the CCC system is all or nothing. It will run fine, but the lockup won't work and the CCC system will be doing nothing. You will get nothing by an orange light shining in your face if you leave the ECM in place with a yanked CCC carb/distrib.

That is exaclty true! The previous owner had a holley carb on my SS with everything else stock. The torque Converter wouldn't lock up it was eating gas throwing codes. Wouldn't pass emissions and ran like crap. I have now figured it out and will be putting a stock rebuilt carb back on there and getting this thing back to normal. I think that the Computer is a great tool and should definally be left in. I have to pass emissions and you can't pass with out the computer. If I ever upgrade the motor in the car I will leave the Computer still in there and have a tune wrote for it. But now I am going to be leaving it stock and restoring it.

#675170 - 04/22/09 12:47 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Trevor Johnson]  
grvyrd Offline
grvyrd  Offline

Stillwater, ok
need/want some input on the ss ccc system.
first off i am building an sbc 406 for my monte,emulating the impersonator buildup in chp a few years ago.
my specs are as follows;
200-4r trans,stock stall,less than 500 miles on a rebuild.
3.73 gears in rear;stock
edelbrock TES headers;
stock exhaust from the cat. convertor back
(that will change one day , (but first things first)
400 SBC- bored .030 over for an actual c.id. of 406
stock crank;3.75 stroke
5.7 rods
KB 168 pistons,22cc dished
64cc stock vortec heads
9.5 -9.8:1 C.R
lunati hydraulic flat tappet cam,290/290
i want to keep the stock carb/computer setup if possible, what steps should i take to do this?
the carb rebuilt/ adjusted i know ,but what about a reflashed chip?
i have also heard to replace the stock knock sensor w/ one from/for an 454?
any input out there?

#677349 - 04/27/09 04:13 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: grvyrd]  
ccrise85 Offline
ccrise85  Offline

Greesburg Pa
I have ripped everything to do with the computer off of my car in the engine bay and replaced carb with 600 manual choke edelbrock and vacumn advance dist. everything is fine. disabled check engine light. only thing is i can not remember if i have had it in high with it locked up yet due to the fact that i have not had it on the road yet but occasionly take it for a spin

1985 Monte Carlo SS 305 200R-4 tranny eldelbrock 600 cfm maual choke all emissions stuff ripped off. HEI with vacumm advance....needs lots of love
interior is not bad though
#677956 - 04/28/09 09:10 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: ccrise85]  
chevy85monteSS Offline
chevy85monteSS  Offline

Sioux City, Iowa
I too would like to know at what point you need to get into having the chip reprogrammed, I have seen jetting changes mentioned for the carb and found some good info on that (see below) but the purpose of reprogramming the chip is for timing- correct? Is there much benefit from going with a hotter coil (I.E. ACCELL or MALLORY performance coils) or an ignition box (MSD or something similar) or is the chip the place to start??

Carb tuning info...

found this info on another board, this may be common knowledge for some of you but may help the other newbies like myself

info on tuning & modding the CCC for performance...
http://www.thirdgen.org/quadrajet

this page may be useful after reading the above link...
http://www.thirdgen.org/rods

1985 Monte SS (basket case) 406 SBC coming soon!
#677960 - 04/28/09 09:28 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: chevy85monteSS]  
Gruvin Offline
15+ Year
Gruvin  Offline
15+ Year

Texas
John(and Dustin), you want the engine to idle at less than 750RPMs in gear. The chip is timing and there are a few other little things like an idle table that will throw a code if the engine is idling at higher RPMs than the table allows. I have been told by the guy that made my chip to make sure that my engine would idle at less than 750RPMs and 700 is better. I am running a Comp Cams XR270 roller in my 350 and it idles slightly above stock.

Biggest needs for a new chip are: adjust timing curve, remove EGR, change table to allow for a bigger cam. You will do much more to the carb itself to run the larger engine than you need to do to the chip.

[Linked Image]
#677963 - 04/28/09 09:38 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Gruvin]  
chevy85monteSS Offline
chevy85monteSS  Offline

Sioux City, Iowa
So as long as there are no codes, don't worry about the chip? Or is there a performance gain to be had by reprogramming when modifications are made?

#677964 - 04/28/09 09:45 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: chevy85monteSS]  
Gruvin Offline
15+ Year
Gruvin  Offline
15+ Year

Texas
As long as there are no codes and the engine runs strong with the stock timing curve then you don't need a chip change. The timing curve is the advantage in a new chip.

[Linked Image]
#677970 - 04/28/09 09:56 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Gruvin]  
chevy85monteSS Offline
chevy85monteSS  Offline

Sioux City, Iowa
Thanks, that's good to know- what do you think about using an MSD box or "performance coil". Do these help with the CCC?

#689953 - 06/03/09 05:31 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: chevy85monteSS]  
pacheco Offline
10+ Year
pacheco  Offline
10+ Year

Spring Hill,Fl
i had a msd box and performance coil with no problems

Bust your asx during the week..bust your knuckles on the weekend
350 with vortec heads,Edelbrock intake,headers with 2.5"exhaust,SS sway bars,SS rims,spoiler,3:73 wit a POWERTRAX,tubular rear control arms,JEG'S trany,GBODY front brace,umi rear chassis brace.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3193776
#701885 - 07/09/09 08:43 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: pacheco]  
Purple87SS Offline
10+ Year
Purple87SS  Offline
10+ Year

South Jersey
I removed the quadra jet and distributor and put in a vacum lock-up kit for the trans. I hate how soon the kit locks up engages. I've tweaked it a few times to engage later, but it seems to lock and lock the TC at part throttle. Prob gonna wire a switch to lock it manualy when I want.

84 SS- Needs some parts!
87 Buick Regal Turbo T WE4-1 of 1547
#708850 - 07/31/09 02:21 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Purple87SS]  
Xracer44 Offline
Xracer44  Offline

Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I need help!!!

I have an 87 Monte Carlo SS with a older 350 in it. I'm removing the quadrajunk carb and hei and computer system. I'm going to put a Holley 670 Street Avenger and the old sytle MSD street fire HEI.

I'm in the process of removing the computer wire harness but I have a couple questions. I'v also read all the info in the post.

1. I unplugged the the connector that goes into the water neck on the intake. Is that the water temp wire for the guage? Do I have to run a new wire from the guage?

2. When I took the new sytle hei out there was 1 connector left over that was still there. Is that my tack wire and hot wire? When I put the new hei in I need a hot wire and tack wire or do I need to run new wires?

3. My tranny has "Metric" stamped on the pan. Is that the metric 200(200-r4)?

Ant help would be great.

Thanks

#713707 - 08/14/09 01:14 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Xracer44]  
supernova455 Offline
15+ Year
supernova455  Offline
15+ Year

tampa, fl usa
I know there are reasons for removing the computer, but I just can't seem to understand them, I don't know if it is because I am a slow learner and have to read things over many time to grasp them, or it's out of my comprehension. I just wish the title to this subject read "Retaining the Monte Carlo SS computer", and listed the appropriate content to match.

Supernova455

#720905 - 09/06/09 12:03 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: grvyrd]  
Partsguy19 Offline
Partsguy19  Offline

Kernersville, NC
Originally Posted By: grvyrd
need/want some input on the ss ccc system.
first off i am building an sbc 406 for my monte,emulating the impersonator buildup in chp a few years ago.
my specs are as follows;
200-4r trans,stock stall,less than 500 miles on a rebuild.
3.73 gears in rear;stock
edelbrock TES headers;
stock exhaust from the cat. convertor back
(that will change one day , (but first things first)
400 SBC- bored .030 over for an actual c.id. of 406
stock crank;3.75 stroke
5.7 rods
KB 168 pistons,22cc dished
64cc stock vortec heads
9.5 -9.8:1 C.R
lunati hydraulic flat tappet cam,290/290
i want to keep the stock carb/computer setup if possible, what steps should i take to do this?
the carb rebuilt/ adjusted i know ,but what about a reflashed chip?
i have also heard to replace the stock knock sensor w/ one from/for an 454?
any input out there?

I'll be doing this soon.. How did it work out for you. PM me..

Work in progress!!!! 406, Flat Tops, 5.7 rods, 650 Double, 70cc heads, Summit 1105 Cam, Intake, 3:73, TH400, No-Hop bars, Headers and exhaust.. etc..
#720926 - 09/06/09 01:43 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Partsguy19]  
AndreB Offline
AndreB  Offline

Milwaukee, Wi
people take off the ccc for a cleaner engine compartment and few other reasons. I like to say my car has a holley and a mild 350 under the hood,...not a 305 wit a million hoses and wires that i have no idea what they do. Plus i appreciate my car more with all the upgrades and changes

85SS 350v8, 200-4r, bodywork and H4 upgrade coming soon
dreday1062000@yahoo.com
#721669 - 09/08/09 08:36 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: AndreB]  
TheCarloKid Offline
TheCarloKid  Offline

Carmel, Maine
I just finished the conversion and i must say i like it a lot more now then i did!

Its not whats in front of you, its who the hells behind you that counts.

1986 Monte Carlo SS maroon bucket interior w/ Maroon paint and 3 diff. color orange stripes. 600 Edelbrock carb no computer any more smile
#735738 - 10/30/09 03:05 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 06mcss]  
Montecarlo1985 Offline
Montecarlo1985  Offline

West Haven CT
I have an 85 with a 350 swap from a truck with the qjet on it. Im buying an edelbrock performer 600cfm carb matched with the rpm air gap manifold. Obviously (since its a monte) i want to bring it to car shows and have the engine compartment looking good. The wiring harness for the qjet looks terrible so i would like to take it out and put the non cc carb on. I have a hei distrubutor and a 200 r4 transmission. What else do i need to get to have the car run good? can someone give me a list of everything else i would need for the car to run/shift normally? Thanks

Last edited by Montecarlo1985; 10/30/09 03:05 PM.

1995 Monte Carlo Z34
1985 Monte Carlo SS, 350 SBC

#736658 - 11/03/09 03:37 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Montecarlo1985]  
WRX2FFU Offline
WRX2FFU  Offline

FORT WAYNE, IN
Post 1 has all the info you need.

#755242 - 01/09/10 03:09 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: WRX2FFU]  
chevyhunterj Offline
chevyhunterj  Offline

Belton, SC
I have a 84 Monte Carlo SS with a 355 and 350 trans. The question has been asked before but not really answered. Do you need a lockup kit for a 350 trans? Not trying to bring up old stuff but need new here and need some info. Thanks.

#755660 - 01/11/10 02:30 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: chevyhunterj]  
mikeo Offline
mikeo  Offline

St. Cloud Mn.
It depends if you have a 350 or a 350c, the 350c will have a electrical connector on it.

87 Monte carlo ss 383 200r4 sleeper
#757016 - 01/16/10 04:12 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 06mcss]  
Snowboi Offline
Snowboi  Offline

Fort Walton Beach, FL
What if you dont run in overdrive? I was told if you dont drive on the highway much, and not driving in overdrive (regular drive) you wouldnt need a lockup kit for the trans, I have a 200R4, and removing the engine harness, but really dont wanna remove the transmission harness, due to having to buy a lockup kit. I'd really like some info on that. I basicly read every post here, and still didnt get a good answer. I've heard of people driving other cars ('80s Caprice), removed the engine harness, but kept the computer and trnasmission hooked up, and drove in overdrive for along time, I dont believe he ever had a problem with his trans.

#762540 - 02/04/10 05:43 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Snowboi]  
Buick Runner Offline
10+ Year
Buick Runner  Offline
10+ Year

Dharma station 1 the Hydra
The transmission harness is a part of the computer harness. GM made non overdrive transmissions that were still lockup.

Last edited by Buick Runner; 02/04/10 05:43 AM.

SBC powered 1987 Regal with TES headers, ZZ4 intake, ZZ4 PROM chip, mini starter, THM2004R, 2500 stall converter, 2040 cam, CCC system, and 3.73 posi rear.

2008 ex NPS P71 Crown Victoria, cop motor, cop shocks, cop brakes.

Never argue with an idiot.
They will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
#777278 - 03/23/10 09:13 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Partsguy19]  
grvyrd Offline
grvyrd  Offline

Stillwater, ok
thanks for the interest, not THERE yet, just alot of little things,daily driver died ,then winter ,hope fully by june/july.
i 'll let you know

#778653 - 03/27/10 03:55 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: grvyrd]  
dbake Offline
dbake  Offline

oklahoma city ok
ok so i went from a 4.3 tbi to a carbed 383 stroker.. i spent all day pulling out the harness and had it put back together and nice looking and it wouldnt start... fuel pump quit turning on.. so what do i do to get my in tank stock fuel pump to work without all the useless wiring that is not going anywhere

#778728 - 03/27/10 10:41 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: dbake]  
32v_dohc Offline
10+ Year
32v_dohc  Offline
10+ Year

my garage
When you unplugged the connector under the passenger side dash you unplugged the power feed to the pump. It is the tan wire with the white stripe in cavity B of the 8 cavity connector. The ECM harness has the fuel pump relay on it so you will need to connect the circuit. Do this by taking power from the back of the alternator through an immediate 20 amp fuse. Then run the wire from the fuse to the oil pressure switch. Then run a wire from the oil pressure switch to the tan wire inside the car. The fuse will protect the wire in case of a short and the oil pressure switch will turn the pump on when there is oil pressure. Since you have fuel in the float bowl the engine will start on no pump and then the pump will run until the engine is stopped or loses oil pressure.

If you got the harness out without cutting, it is in good shape and you want to sell it shoot me a PM. I have been looking for one.

HTH

John

#778804 - 03/28/10 04:57 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 32v_dohc]  
dbake Offline
dbake  Offline

oklahoma city ok
i had it out and realized it killed the power to the pump so i plugged it back in the harness and connected it back to the oil pressure switch and the fuel pump relay i couldnt figure out what to do. i would sell it but the guy who put in the motor didnt know what to do with it and cut some sensor connector off otherwise it would be in pretty good shape.... so your basically saying i need to splice an inline fuse from the alternator to the oil pressure switch to the tan wire in cavity b of the 8 cavity connector?

#780285 - 04/01/10 04:45 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: dbake]  
dbake Offline
dbake  Offline

oklahoma city ok
Hmm ok I did this and when I hooked it up to the alternator it kept the fuel pump on then when I went to start it just poped the fuse. On the oil pressure switch it has two prongs I ran one from the in line fuse to the alternator and the other to ground? The in line fuse was also tied in with cavity b on the connector idk I guess I'm confused on this and overlooking something

#780345 - 04/01/10 08:25 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: dbake]  
87ChooChoo Offline
10+ Year
87ChooChoo  Offline
10+ Year

las Vegas, NV
Wire From Alternator to fuse. Wire from other side of Fuse to one side of the Oil Pressure Switch. Wire from other side of Oil Pressure Switch to Cavity B of Connector. Other side of Cavity B should be a brown wire.
FP should run when Oil Pressure is available to close the Oil Pressure switch. We're assuming you have enough Fuel in the bowl to start the vehicle and obtain some oil pressure, which will then start the pump and keep it going.

85 El Camino Choo Choo with L31 350 Crate, TPI, Serp, TES Headers, GN 200-4r, 3.73 8.5 GN Posi, Acura Buckets, '04 GP Console, Electric Mirrors, Electronic HVAC, ZQ8 wheels, Blazer front brakes, LS1 rear brakes, and more....
https://sites.google.com/site/darbyselky/home
#780402 - 04/01/10 11:53 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 87ChooChoo]  
dbake Offline
dbake  Offline

oklahoma city ok
indeed. i did this and got it going thanks for the help

#788259 - 04/25/10 08:19 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: dbake]  
bowtietillidieSS Offline
bowtietillidieSS  Offline

Clinton Ms
Removed mine this morning thanks guys!!

1985 SS 383-TH400 W/ B&M Shift Kit-3.73 Posi-Billet specialties wheels-Flowmaster 40's- Daily Driver
#816565 - 08/12/10 05:38 AM Re: STICKY: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: lazygearhead]  
HI88MonteSS Offline
HI88MonteSS  Offline

Kailua, HI
dumb question. .How do i find out what kind of trans i have?? I think its a turbo 350. if it is, is there a certain lock up kit id need? (taking out the computer)

#816574 - 08/12/10 07:39 AM Re: STICKY: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: HI88MonteSS]  
Bad Co Offline
Bad Co  Offline

Earth
Take a look at the pan:

#816859 - 08/13/10 07:44 AM Re: STICKY: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Bad Co]  
MattsMonte Offline
10+ Year
MattsMonte  Offline
10+ Year

Johnston, Iowa
Hey guys-

We have a 350 crate engine - going with no computer, non-ccc quadrajet, new msd dist. It has been 2 years since we started the frame off, so it is not just as easy as removing the CCC wiring harness.

Here are a few clarifying questions on wiring if you can help:

1. Since the oil switch on the back of the intake controls the signal to the electric choke, I imagine that I need that sensor in place, correct?

2. From the engine harness it seems like there is a loom from the front passenger side of the engine that goes out to the passenger fender. I think it is to the old barometric pressure unit. I can cut those wires, right?

3. At that same place there is a two prong coupling that used to go into the CC harness. pink and black wire and a black wire. I can cut those wires, right?

4. The brown tach wire hooks into a white wire in the loom. I think that the white tach wire and a red power wire show up in the connector that used to go to the old coil. I simply hook the tach into the loom the same way and take the old coil connection and manufacture the two leads to the MSD, right?

Thanks in advance,

Larry

[Linked Image]

1988 MCSS T-Tops. Frame off restoration, 330HP 350 crate engine, 700R4 transmission.
#818081 - 08/19/10 01:38 AM Re: STICKY: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: MattsMonte]  
88monteSScarlo Offline
88monteSScarlo  Offline

pittsburgh, PA
I have a 350 with a t-5, non computer carb and dist. i took the computer out and now my check engine light is on. Should i just remove the fuse or what??

1988 Monte Carlo SS, 350 T-5 5 speed, Shaker Hood
#818085 - 08/19/10 01:41 AM Re: STICKY: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 88monteSScarlo]  
Snowboi Offline
Snowboi  Offline

Fort Walton Beach, FL
The fuse for what? Just take the check engine light bulb out.

#818801 - 08/23/10 12:21 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 06mcss]  
Flip Offline
My First Post!
Flip  Offline
My First Post!

Lewes, Delaware
I have a 1986 Monte SS. I have replaced the 305 with a Jasper 350 ci 300 hp with 366 ft pounds of torque. 700 r4 transmission, headers, hi-flow cat and a alburn posi unit. I've gone through 4/QJets. These carve keep going bad. I want to disconnect from the computer but I don't know what would be a good fit for this engine. Can you help please!

#818955 - 08/23/10 09:52 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Flip]  
87MCSuperSport Offline
87MCSuperSport  Offline

Pueblo, CO
QUESTION: The TV cable adapter goes to the trans kick dwn cable correct?? it just extends the position that the carb already has for it?? and the look up kit, can I still drive the car without it??
I replaced my stock qjet and intake for an edelbrock 650 and a performer rpm intake and my car has ran like xxxx since.. I purchased a msd street fire HEI today.. Will that fix my problem??

#825734 - 09/23/10 10:05 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 06mcss]  
tom demarco Offline
tom demarco  Offline

Burlington
In removing the computer, is that harness necessary at all

#828196 - 10/05/10 04:31 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: tom demarco]  
Gary Offline
Gary  Offline

Landing NJ
hey everyone i have some questions i have 87 ss 305 put in a 79 350 has a holly non cc carb and a mallorory unilte distributor what wires do i connect to mallory promaster coil and the ignition switch? Do i just need a hot wire to coil?

Any help is greatly appreciated

has holley non cc carb and mallory unilte dist with promaster coil

#854056 - 02/16/11 01:37 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Gary]  
wurx406 Offline
wurx406  Offline

Winter park Fl
talk is cheap pics are worth a thousand words if someone takes a picture of this stuff there probably would not be so many of the same questions posted i.e. which harness goes where and what can and can not be disconnected, I took out my harness years ago and have gone with a full MSD setup since then so i can not post pics of the harness since i dont have one anymore.

#889051 - 08/08/11 05:36 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: wurx406]  
4893fei Offline
4893fei  Offline

Hey,Just got my 305 rebuilt and i wanna remove the computer.Has no a/c & heat.Has turbo 350 Transmission.
I have done some reseach on removing the computer, just wanna make sure im doing it right.
-unpluged the computer -new carb and intake, distributer
And would i need a lock up kit for the transimission? Or could i just leave the wires going to the trans from the computer.
If i just left the computer in and just have the computer disconnted?? Or should i just remove the computer fully out.Maybe sell it??

#953087 - 11/26/12 11:09 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 4893fei]  
chikissmastors Offline
chikissmastors  Offline

houston, tx
hello everyone, i have a question. I have a 1984 monte carlo (non SS) with a messed up CCC. I am planning to remove it and replace it with a NON CC Quadrajet and a HEI distributor. do i need a lockup kit? my mechanic says i dont but ive read everywhere that i should have a lockup kit. Any help would do thanks.

#953089 - 11/26/12 11:44 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: chikissmastors]  
chikissmastors Offline
chikissmastors  Offline

houston, tx
oh and one more thing i dont have overdrive

#953103 - 11/27/12 01:32 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: chikissmastors]  
Buick Runner Offline
10+ Year
Buick Runner  Offline
10+ Year

If your trans is a lockup one then it will need a kit. However those afermarket kits do not work as well as the factory CCC does and more often than not removing the CCC to fix problems just creates more problems. Do you know what is wrong with your system or is it just your mechanic saying you should remove it?

SBC powered 1987 Regal with TES headers, ZZ4 intake, ZZ4 PROM chip, mini starter, THM2004R, 2500 stall converter, 2040 cam, CCC system, and 3.73 posi rear.

#953115 - 11/27/12 03:01 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Buick Runner]  
chikissmastors Offline
chikissmastors  Offline

houston, tx
well all my emmisions stuff is bad and corroded so he said if i fixed it it would be too much money. so he recommended to go with a non cc quadrajet and HEI. but ive been reading alot of these threads and it says i need lockup kit, but, there all for SSMC and i dont see any for the non SS monte. I know some dont have lockup but im not so sure as if i even need it

#953116 - 11/27/12 03:02 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: chikissmastors]  
chikissmastors Offline
chikissmastors  Offline

houston, tx
is there a way to find out if my trans is a lockup one or not?? Thanks for your input

#953140 - 11/27/12 06:11 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: chikissmastors]  
mmc427ss Offline
15+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
15+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
If you have a lockup converter there will be plug and socket on the left side of the TH350C transmision (lockup converter). A TH350 (non-lockup) will not have an electrical connection to it.

With your car still having a CCC system installed, and not performing correctly, you need to electrically jumper around the CCC to lock the converter.

Under the dash is ALDL connector, this is the testing point for the ECM. The ALDL ports have letter to ID them. Letter F should have a TAN/BLK wire attached to it, letter A should be BLK.
Before we go farther you should check to see if the F port in the plug has the TAN/BLK wire. Of the 12 ports in the ALDL less than 1/2 are used.
Let me know what you find.
Bob

#953144 - 11/27/12 07:09 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: mmc427ss]  
chikissmastors Offline
chikissmastors  Offline

houston, tx
well my car works fine except the carburetor its old. but if i get a new one i have to replace all the emissions components to have it work properly. to omit that i will be installing a non cc carb. so i was snooping around to find out if needed to add a lockup kit on a regular monte since ive only been reading about ss montes

#953265 - 11/28/12 02:59 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: chikissmastors]  
Buick Runner Offline
10+ Year
Buick Runner  Offline
10+ Year

You don't have to fix all the emission components for the CCC to work right. What it needs to work right are all the sensors, carburetor, dist, and EGR. The CCC can work fine without the smog pump, cat converter, EVAP, etc. Also the CCC uses weatherproof connectors that rarely go bad. Sounds like to me your mechanic probably doesn't really understand how the CCC system operates which is all too common with mechanics these days and wants to install something he understands. Could even be he wants to sell you a load of goods, why just charge for one sensor replacement when he can charge you for a whole new carburetor, dist, lockup kit, etc. BTW what he advised you to do is also illegal since the law states you can't disable youer emissions systems which includes the CCC. You might want to seek a second opinion from another mechanic. Did he look for trouble codes?

#953279 - 11/28/12 03:32 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Buick Runner]  
chikissmastors Offline
chikissmastors  Offline

houston, tx
yes he did. and also checked all the vaccum hoses etc most of it wasnt working at all so he recommended the use of a non cc carb. texas does not require emissions on older cars. I had the carb installed computer removed, did not need a lock up kit. works great. thank you guys for the info

#955769 - 12/18/12 06:29 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: 06mcss]  
The PC Surgeon Offline
The PC Surgeon  Offline

Salisbury Mills, NY
My 87 SS (purchased on Veterans Day 2012) Has no computer. I recently removed all the a/c components and wiring associated with the computer, a/c and heater. Man, what a bunch of wires. Car runs great without the computer, no idiot lights But gauges make up for it.
Forgot to mention, There is also a B&M lockup converter on the 200r4 Tranny.
The wire harness removed is just below the a/c delete firewall panel. I will post the harness I removed. WARNING....... If you remove the same harness I did, you will have no heat, a/c, idiot lights, blend door control, fan/defrost control. Pics coming in a couple of minutes.

Last edited by The PC Surgeon; 12/18/12 08:12 PM.
#967125 - 04/01/13 05:22 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: lazygearhead]  
Finesse615 Offline
Finesse615  Offline

Nashville, TN
I do everything on a budget so is their any vehicle I can snatch a non ccc distributor out of and use?

#967128 - 04/01/13 08:48 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: lazygearhead]  
carloss Offline
carloss  Offline

Burnaby, BC
Pretty much any GM with a small block from 1975 to 1983 or so should have the non CCC HEI distributor

#967134 - 04/01/13 11:07 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: lazygearhead]  
Finesse615 Offline
Finesse615  Offline

Nashville, TN
Thanks brother

#978256 - 07/18/13 07:17 PM Re: STICKY: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: lazygearhead]  
CrimsonKrush Offline
10+ Year
CrimsonKrush  Offline
10+ Year

Richmond,Ky. USA
Anyone know where I can get the black vacuum swith that in this pic for a lockup converter?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-376600
$90 is a bit steep for 2 switches and some wiring. It looks like the number on it is 21044 with 0711 below it but I get nothing when I Google it.

Mike Martin - '85 Monte SS
In the process of being put back together.
#997480 - 03/16/14 03:13 PM Re: STICKY: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: lazygearhead]  
darriuSS Offline
darriuSS  Offline

South, NJ
Old thread but I'll post anyway.

I swapped out the 305 to a 350. Took off the qjet for a non CC carb (holley) got the tv bracket, added a shift kit and new servo to tranny. Using the same dizzy that was On car before swap. only problem i had was after riding on highway I DID get lock up in overdrive so when I came to a stop light the car stalled as it remained in a higher gear. I manually shifted all the way to trans shop. my trans guy lifted the car unplugged the lockup and I haven't had a problem since. no overdrive, I asked about trans heat he said OD only kicks it down 3-400 RPM's and it's not that much in the grand scheme of things. I trust his opinion as he builds racing trannys also and comes with a great rep in area.

Car runs STRONG but I'm thinking I should go to vacuum advance dizzy and if I'm doing some highway driving maybe add the lock up converter. Not concerned about mpg's too much though. Any opinions?

#1016558 - 11/30/14 12:40 PM Re: STICKY: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: lazygearhead]  
Keithss Offline
Keithss  Offline

Jackson,mi
Resurrecting this from the deed.
I have read all this and just get more unsure.
Info
1985 Monte Carlo SS,removing engine and replacing with NON CC engine, it can be seen in pictures under the restoration section.
No cruse control in car, Keeping the AC
1st I understand about the transmission lock up, I have this covered.
2nd If I understand this correctly I can just remove the section of wiring harness that goes from the computer to the engine control portion.
If I do this will my AC and defrost still function, as well as all the gages?
If anyone has pictures or any further information please advise.
Keithss

#1016563 - 11/30/14 04:15 PM Re: STICKY: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: Keithss]  
87ChooChoo Offline
10+ Year
87ChooChoo  Offline
10+ Year

las Vegas, NV
Originally Posted By: Keithss

2nd If I understand this correctly I can just remove the section of wiring harness that goes from the computer to the engine control portion.
If I do this will my AC and defrost still function, as well as all the gages?
If anyone has pictures or any further information please advise.
Keithss

There are actually two harnesses that come through on the passenger side- 1 engine and 1 HVAC. You need to drop your passenger side inner fender well, and you will see how they pass through. Don't just cut the harness off ( it has value to someone returning to ECM control, or you may even want to go back later). Unplug it from the ECM, and pass it through the firewall. IIRC, there is 1 or two sheet metal screws that hold the harness to the firewall, and you may need to make a small sheetmetal plate to cover the hole.

No impact on gauges by removing the ECM, except you may have the check engine light on all the time. Either remove the bulb, or go above the glove box and you will find a small plastic box taped to the harness. Inside this box is a PCB ( The Light Control Module that drives the Check Engine Light). Pull the PCB out of this box, turn it around, and slide it back inthe box. Tape the cover closed. Now, again, if you ever want to go back, all you have to do is plug in the PCB.

85 El Camino Choo Choo with L31 350 Crate, TPI, Serp, TES Headers, GN 200-4r, 3.73 8.5 GN Posi, Acura Buckets, '04 GP Console, Electric Mirrors, Electronic HVAC, ZQ8 wheels, Blazer front brakes, LS1 rear brakes, and more....
https://sites.google.com/site/darbyselky/home
#1016574 - 11/30/14 10:03 PM Re: STICKY: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: lazygearhead]  
Keithss Offline
Keithss  Offline

Jackson,mi
87ChooChoo
Thank You for the response. I already have the inner finders removed, as you can see in some of the pictures I have posted in the restoration section. I was not going to cut the wires, as I had already planed on removing the harness. For some reason I was thinking that I read someplace that I would lose the AC and Defrost if I disconnected the engine portion of the wiring.
The box in your picture must be the PCB that you mention.
Again Thanks
Keith

#1022984 - 04/18/15 08:49 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: lazygearhead]  
Cheford Offline
Cheford  Offline

Ottawa, Ontario
so this kit basically just tells the TC when to lock up? at a 50 roll it will signal the transmission to downshift or I have to manually signal it?

[Linked Image]
#1026959 - 07/13/15 12:38 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: lazygearhead]  
Jan Offline
Jan  Offline

Stuttgart, Germany
Hi,
I bought a 83 SS. Computer was allready removed, vakuum advanced distributor was installed and lock up should be no issue as it is the TH350 trans. But there is still the Quadrajet on it, and it doesnt run so bad (but I didnt test a lot or measure CO2). So the MCS doesnt get any signal from the computer anymore. Is it possible to leave it like it is or do I have to do something with the MCS (signal to GND or 12V or something like this) or do I have to replace the quadrajet with some edelbrock stuff for sure?
second thing is off-topic: are there known problems with the heating system? for some reason they removed the water lines to the radiator (I mean heating, not engine cooling) and back, but I dont know why....
thanks and regards
Jan

Last edited by Jan; 07/13/15 12:41 PM.
#1032636 - 12/01/15 09:42 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: lazygearhead]  
upflying Offline
15+ Year
upflying  Offline
15+ Year

Reno, NV
Removing the heater hoses usually means the heater core was leaking. A common problem and easy to repair. The heater hoses connect to the engine and water pump, not the radiator.
I am not sure if the electronic quadrajet will operate normally without the computer.
My guess is the Mixture Control Solenoid will go into a default rich mode to protect the engine from lean damage such as overheating.
You will probably have poor fuel consumption.
I would change to a regular carb.

86 MCSS Notchback coupe, LS3, 4L65E, QP 9", Eaton Truetrac, 4 wheel disc, column shift, Dakota Digital, silver with maroon bench interior

[Linked Image]
#1037435 - 04/08/16 12:20 PM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: lazygearhead]  
theunderdawg Offline
theunderdawg  Offline

Danville va
hey just to make sure .. i only need the tv cable bracket etc.. and the lockup kit .i have a 87 ss 305 with 2004r tranny with a 1406 edelbrock carb? i already have hoooker headers

Last edited by theunderdawg; 04/08/16 12:21 PM.
#1043475 - 09/13/16 11:06 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: lazygearhead]  
theunderdawg Offline
theunderdawg  Offline

Danville va
Ok got the new hei dizzy installed timing set etc... "now when i trace the wires from the computer" i got only one harness left to unplug which is plugged in on the bottom driver side of the tranny would that affect anything if i unplugged that also

#1057511 - 05/30/18 11:42 AM Re: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: lazygearhead]  
markg Offline
15+ Year
markg  Offline
15+ Year

nj
I have an 86 monte that we just cut the entire harness off at the fender that goes to the computer.the ac works fine on this car.
now ive got an 84 that we did the same too and I cant get the ac clutch to engage.
do I actually need a part of the computer to get the ac to run properly?

86 ss 86 cl,330hp GM vortec cratemotor-700-r trans worked,ford 9.5 inch rear with 3-50s,custom 3 inch exhaust with flowmasters.
#1057512 - 05/30/18 11:47 AM Re: STICKY: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: lazygearhead]  
markg Offline
15+ Year
markg  Offline
15+ Year

nj
the only way I could get the clutch to engage was to ground the wire in this pic.once I got it running for a while it blew the blow off valve on the compressor loosing all of the Freon.
does this sound strange?would the computer have stopped it from building up too much pressure?[Linked Image]

86 ss 86 cl,330hp GM vortec cratemotor-700-r trans worked,ford 9.5 inch rear with 3-50s,custom 3 inch exhaust with flowmasters.
#1057520 - 05/30/18 03:06 PM Re: STICKY: Removing the Monte Carlo SS computer [Re: markg]  
Buick Runner Offline
10+ Year
Buick Runner  Offline
10+ Year

Originally Posted by markg
I have an 86 monte that we just cut the entire harness off at the fender that goes to the computer.the ac works fine on this car.
now ive got an 84 that we did the same too and I cant get the ac clutch to engage.
do I actually need a part of the computer to get the ac to run properly?

You just blew $100 as you can sell good uncut harness for that amount. It is not hard to remove the harness intact.

Last edited by Buick Runner; 05/30/18 05:06 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Random Images
500/thumbs/dfgdgd.JPG
by juangomez22
1189/thumbs/DS_Door9.jpg
by Joe87monteSS
568/thumbs/nuseat2.jpg
by battz89
500/thumbs/enginebefore.jpg
by PB86SS/87LS
500/thumbs/iphone_215.JPG
by Joe b.