MonteCarloSS.com
MonteCarloSS.com

THE place for 4th Gen Monte Carlo SS info for over 24 years!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Online Content
Working on some rear end stuff and after talking to strange a couple of times they have 2 options for tapered bearing. Run no inner seal and let gear lube keep the bearing lubed or run an inner seal and pack the bearing with grease and it only be lubed by grease? Anyone have thoughts on this? I'm going to call back tomorrow and try to get the pros and cons from them on each setup.

S
15+ Year
15+ Year
S
I do not run the inner seal on my tapered bearing setup and I have a friend with a similar setup that does.

My setup took years and years of abuse before each side started leaking and eventually the bearings needed to be replaced. I removed and reinstalled the axles several times during those years. I would imagine on street type setup that doesn't have the axles removed regularly once sealed up they'd stay sealed forever and given that I see no reason to run the inner seals.

My friend that has them does it to make sure all the gear oil stays on his ring and pinion during cornering instead of it all heading down the axle tubes. I just overfill mine to prevent that...

Lance
1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car
OP Online Content
Thanks for the insight Lance, both guys I've spoke with at strange say to run the inner seal they say its barely a trickle that reaches the bearing , one said repack every 10,000 miles and another said he repacks every winter. It seems like after reading a lot of people run it without and just let the gear lube the bearing. This is the setup I'm looking at running it with ls1 rear brakes. I looked at using the Moser 7900fm ends but the only option on it was a ball bearing and to be honest moser people weren't very friendly or helpful.

Strange 1143 ends
https://www.strangeengineering.net/product/small-gm-weld-on-housing-ends-for-3-150-bearing-pr.html/

Bearing
https://www.strangeengineering.net/product/3-150-1-562-tapered-axle-bearing-with-seal-ea.html/

Spacer for 98-02 f body brakes
https://www.strangeengineering.net/...-spacer-using-tapered-axle-bearing.html/

This is the setup

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by 88ssBrent; 03/31/23 06:02 PM.
M
20+ Year
20+ Year
M
Lance do recall the name of that special seal the NASCAR boys used to run in their 9"?
Bob

OP Online Content
Not nascar but this is the seal that Strange says to use if you are going to use one. inner seal link

You can go to ls1 forum and they have most of the parts cross-referenced to off the shelf parts. I figure first time up I'll just buy it all from strange since I'm probably going to use their ends. I'm just not sure if I want to do inner seal or not, that's the question.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by 88ssBrent; 03/31/23 11:28 PM.
M
20+ Year
20+ Year
M
The reason I mention the NASCAR seal was it was developed for those cars that all the rear oil wants to migrate to the right. When Lance was doing one of his fixes on his 9" we discussed those. I looked, thought i had that website bookmarked, just can' find it.
Bob

OP Online Content
I decided to go without the inner seal, I can always change my mind and throw them in before I have the rearend built.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (86eses, Donzi4me), 68 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Donzi4me, Hube2002, Reggie0729, 86SS1982, rmw85
16,053 Registered Users
Help MonteCarloSS.com

Recent Contributors
PETER86SS
88ssBrent
86BlackSuperSport
Authorized Vendors
Tell them you saw it
on MonteCarloSS.com!