MonteCarloSS.com
MonteCarloSS.com

THE place for 4th Gen Monte Carlo SS info for over 24 years!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
L05edSS Offline OP
OP Offline
L
just wondering what are ppl using in this senario? the trans has 71k miles on it, no issues shifts fine. i dont recall last time changed and bought the car 20 yrs ago with 40k miles. last i knew went with dex merc 1, 2 or 3, now i see dex merc VI? what's up with the # change? i'm not afraid of blowin it while it would suck to do so. i have a 2002 NCTB (Northern California Turbo Buick) bruce tolle built 200 4r sittin in the shed since 05' that;ll chirp OD with 15k miles on it. i recall he was pro using tractor hydrolic fluid or top it off at the dip tube if running it stock filter & pan...

black 86 ss new gm crate L05 350 (for heavy duty trucks 87-95 200-210hp/ 300 TQ @ 2800 rpm), speedmaster (1-147-001) lowRise intake, jet performace stage 2 Qjet, delco vacuum advance distributor, everything else stock. I am formerly http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showprofile&User=471
20+ Year
20+ Year
I am pretty sure that merc VI is synthetic and would necessitate a complete flush. Most of those fluids are backwards compatible, I would NOT use hydraulic fluid since the seals and other internals are not spec'd for that fluid. How does the fluid smell?? It is a bit of trouble to swap tranny's, unless you have access to a lift, and you would need to make sure that the TV cable adjustment is proper. Seems like a lot of trouble to me. Your call!

Leo Paugh
It's not an attitude, it's just the way I am.
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
If things improve with age, I must be approaching magnificent. thumbs
F
10+ Year
10+ Year
F
We use Dex/Merc V and VI at my work. Both are synthetic.

Not too sure how our clutch pack will react to synthetic fluids since we never had that kind of fluid when our cars were new. Maybe rebuild it using latest parts and put a new fluids in? But then again, you'll never know if those parts are made to use with synthetic.

For what we need to pay for fluids, I'm sticking with Dex/Merc III and change it every once in a while. I have installed drain plug in the trans pan for this purpose. Trans fluid filter to be added soon.Yeah, I know we have one in the pan, but I'm adding extra protection. Besides, it will be lot easier to change cartridge filter than the one in the trans. I really doubt I need this, but I've seen some fluid that are disgusting.

1986 Silver MCSS - Poly bushing and Hotchkis spring w/Bilstein, Posi w/3.73, MSD 6-AL, E-Brock 600cfm, Aluminum 2-row radiator.
1986 Black MCSS - R.I.P............Finally.
L
L05edSS Offline OP
OP Offline
L
thanks. i haven't done a trans fluid change in a long time nor have looked for any in awhile. i think it was dex lll last time i did and i know did it when got the car in 03'..

black 86 ss new gm crate L05 350 (for heavy duty trucks 87-95 200-210hp/ 300 TQ @ 2800 rpm), speedmaster (1-147-001) lowRise intake, jet performace stage 2 Qjet, delco vacuum advance distributor, everything else stock. I am formerly http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showprofile&User=471
L
L05edSS Offline OP
OP Offline
L
an update. went to buy some from autozone and their computer said MFG updated their recomendation to dex merk 6 and said its not synthetic.

20+ Year
20+ Year

Leo Paugh
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
15+ Year
15+ Year
I thought on my SS when I gave it the first trans fluid change at 50K it wouldn't have much clutch wear. Was I wrong, when I pulled the pan I chit a brick with how much clutch material was settled on the bottom, literally it was scrapped off with a putty knife. But it shifted great and never slipped or blew up with a 114k on it when I gave the engine and trans away.

Bruce was awesome, those units were a work of art when delivered.

Last edited by 1 Slow SS; 04/15/23 12:51 AM.

Enjoy life, family first!
F
10+ Year
10+ Year
F
Bottom line. It's your car. Do whatever pleases you.

However, we DID warn you. Let's hope for the best. If nothing happen, great.

Also, I'm curious what the bottle say on it.

1986 Silver MCSS - Poly bushing and Hotchkis spring w/Bilstein, Posi w/3.73, MSD 6-AL, E-Brock 600cfm, Aluminum 2-row radiator.
1986 Black MCSS - R.I.P............Finally.
S
S
To my knowledge there are both, full-synthetic and non-synthetic versions of DEXRON VI.

Back in August of 2019 I decided to do the “drain and fill” method on my 85 MC SS. I dropped the pan and drained old fluid overnight. Meanwhile, I installed a drain plug to the pan. I proceeded to fill with non-synthetic DEXRON VI, drove ~100 miles, drained overnight, refilled with fresh non-synthetic VI again, drove another ~100 miles, drained again, then installed a new filter and gasket and refilled with fresh full-synthetic DEXRON VI.

Seemed like a waste of fluid, but it took multiple drain and fills to get as much of the old fluid out as I could.

The full synthetic has been working fine. I was told that all DEXRON fluid versions are backward compatible.

Edit: I swapped the provided washer that came with the plug kit with a copper washer.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by Simarti28; 05/01/23 03:02 AM. Reason: Additional text
S
S
I was a bit concerned with what I saw when I dropped my pan, but didn’t have anything to compare to. This picture was taken in 2019. She still runs like a dream.

85 MC SS with 80k miles…

20+ Year
20+ Year
Many of today's synthetic fluids are backwards compatible, a complete flush is recommended. Good luck!

Leo Paugh
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Vincenti), 58 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Donzi4me, Hube2002, Reggie0729, 86SS1982, rmw85
16,053 Registered Users
Help MonteCarloSS.com

Recent Contributors
PETER86SS
88ssBrent
86BlackSuperSport
Authorized Vendors
Tell them you saw it
on MonteCarloSS.com!