CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
OP Offline
K
I'm looking for an alternative to the aftermarket setups
Is there a detailed write up with pictures and part numbers for what part numbers are used to swap a LSA (LS with a factory blower) into a Monte using GM parts for the accessory drive
All I'm seeing that have a blower have no A.C. or a low mount AC bracket
I'm looking to run AC, power steering, alternator
Thanks Mike

Daughter's 1984 Monte Carlo SS
Car Craft Magazine Humble Pie engine build
200-4r trans.
8.5" 4:10 Grand National rearend
[Linked Image]
10+ Year
Online Content
10+ Year
I can't answer your question, but I can pass along what I think I know. The way it is from the factory is a Blower belt, and accessory belt, and an AC belt. I believe there's a couple options on the accessory drive layout (Not sure if the CTS-v is different from the Camaro, but I know the Vette is different). And I believe that there's options for truck accessories, since those are the same spacing as the Camaro accessories. Truck accessories are known to fit (possible interference with alternator on the hood, and Power Steering pulley on the steering box that is fixed with a simple smaller pulley). The low Mount AC for trucks interfere with the frame crossmember but can be clearanced. There are also options for a high mount AC on a truck accessory drive but I can't confirm if that's going to fir with the blower. The Vette or CTS accessory drive and/or AC may or may not fit, I can't personally comment, but I think the Vette stuff generally does unless you are running a turbo (Clearly not an issue on a blower car).

I don't know if that helps?

Shawn

'85 MC with budget 5.3L swap, TH350 with stock 2.14 rear end
It ain't much off the line, but it's nice on the highway
K
OP Offline
K
It all helps Thanks!
Life was a lot easier when it wasn't going to have a blower. Have a new LS3 crate engine, new transmission Holley motor mounts, crossmember...
Looking for a Holley terminator x max,4L85E torque converter haven't decided on either a mechanical tail housing or a Dakota digital dash yet.
Thanks Mike

200-4r trans.
[Linked Image]
10+ Year
10+ Year
There is a fellow on YouTube that helped me tremendously when I LS swapped my Monte. Search Terry LSX and you'll find his videos. Very informative and detailed with sources and part numbers, using GM parts. He returns every message you send.
There is a great series of videos when he upgraded his 6.0 Chevelle to LSA induction...then later with his 6.0 Trailblazer SS.

Hope this helps.

-'87 Monte SS LS 2/4L65e Quick Perf. 9" w/disk brakes
-'89 Iroc Z28 Stock 5.7 Edelb. TES headers, Borla Exhaust90K
-'77 Trans Am 468(Stroked) Doug's Headers Flowmaster catback
B & M shift Kit 400 Turbo trans. Edel brock Performer
RPM Intake Sean Murphy built Rochester Carb. Restored
in '08. 3K
K
OP Offline
K
Now were talking! I have actually watched a few of his videos.
Thanks Mike

200-4r trans.
[Linked Image]
10+ Year
Online Content
10+ Year
That's his name! I was going to suggest his videos, but couldn't remember how to get to them...
An in-between option on the speedo is to run the 4L80e electrical output, then get a speedometer from something like an '89 full size blazer or Suburban with a "traditional" looking gauge that can swap in place of the Monte gauge, but with electrical internals. I can't remember the year exactly, but it is in that vintage SUV. I think Merv has the best info on that, seems like here on this site as well as on Facebook. It's what I plan when I go to an upgraded transmission (still running a TH350 for now).

Edit - 1990-1991 Blazer/Suburban. Here's the detailed write-up.
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/electronic-speedo-conversion-pic-heavy.60194/

Last edited by Hunter79764; 12/06/21 04:16 PM.

Shawn

'85 MC with budget 5.3L swap, TH350 with stock 2.14 rear end
It ain't much off the line, but it's nice on the highway
20+ Year
20+ Year
I used the Vette accessories, added teh LSA belt parts & used the Holley low mount SD7 AC compressor bracket. I have the motor set back 1" & had to notch the front crossmember a bit to clear & had to make a new motor mount for the passenger side. From what I researches, nothing will fit that is OEM. Maybe piece something together with the truck spacing, the SC pulley is on the same plane as the main belt for the truck. But then everythign is spinning faster if you use the large diameter SC damper pulley, & all are on a 6 rib belt vs the normal SC 8 rib belt.

Last edited by Tunedss86; 12/06/21 07:24 PM.
K
OP Offline
K
Thanks
We will probably use a Dakota dash we've had the factory gage cluster out a few times and it's still not right. There are a few of the aftermarket accessory drives that look good one is BRPhotrods.
This project doesn't have a time limit and so far she has done really well sourcing new parts at a reasonable price.
Thanks Mike

200-4r trans.
[Linked Image]
20+ Year
20+ Year
We are installing an LSA into a First Gen Camaro at work and using this: https://wegnerautomotive.com/drive-kits/lsx-drive-kits/supercharged/wak053/

Not the least expensive option but great quality.

88 SS Black/Oxblood. Power Tour car
80 Malibu 2dr. Drag Week car
K
OP Offline
K
Picked up a new LSA blower and ZL1 lid. Of all the aftermarket accessory drives I like the Wegner about the best. Were still looking at factory brackets and not as against notching the frame for the AC compressor as I once was.
Thanks Mike

200-4r trans.
[Linked Image]
K
OP Offline
K
Were getting real close to having all the parts for the blown LS3 swap, only lacking injectors,a fuel rail, fuel pump and the accessory drive.
Of all the parts the hardest to get answers for has been the accessory drive and which ones will clear the power steering gear.
The best looking and cleanest looking is the Holley low mount LSA drive kit but am unsure if it will clear the power steering gear.
If anyone has any first hand experience I would love to hear it (were using all Holley motor mounts and a Holley cross member with a 4L85E)
Thanks Mike

200-4r trans.
[Linked Image]
20+ Year
20+ Year
There isn't an OEM FEAD that will work with the Monte mounting the AC compressor in the low passenger side. Without the supercharger, the Vette FEAD works good but have to replace power steering pulley to a smaller dia one (I have the PN somewhere), and can use the high mount Holley AC compressor mount. Once you add the supercharger, then the high mount AC mount wont work. There are aftermarket ones, some quite expensive. I ended up using the low mount SD7 compressor mount from Holley, minor notched the front cross member and made a motor mount bracket for the passenger side.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

EDIT: Doh, didnt realize I had already replied to this. Sorry. But added some pics.

Last edited by Tunedss86; 11/18/22 07:57 PM.
K
OP Offline
K
Thanks a lot Scot for the pictures. I'm not so much worried about the notching of the passenger side frame as I am about what was done for clearance on the drivers side for the steering gear.
As everything was bought new we don't have any of the factory brackets or any idea what they look like so any part numbers would help a lot
Thanks Mike

200-4r trans.
[Linked Image]
20+ Year
20+ Year
I saw this LSA equipped MCSS recently. Not equipped with AC unfortunately.
https://postimg.cc/f3fJGZBQ

86 MCSS Notchback coupe, LS3, 4L65E, QP 9", Eaton Truetrac, 4 wheel disc, column shift, Dakota Digital, silver with maroon bench interior

20+ Year
20+ Year
Originally Posted by upflying
I saw this LSA equipped MCSS recently. Not equipped with AC unfortunately.
https://postimg.cc/f3fJGZBQ

That looks like a truck accessory drive where they put everything on one 6 rib belt.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Help MonteCarloSS.com

Recent Contributors
86BlackSuperSport
Authorized Vendors
Tell them you saw it
on MonteCarloSS.com!

Dixie Monte Carlo Depot
Mikes Montes