MonteCarloSS.com

CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
OP Offline
E
My pioneer finally bit the dust in my 86 monte.its been in there for 16 or so years.
if i buy another single din unit can i just plug it into the existing plug or have they changed over the years?
also can you give a recommendation for a decent set of front dash speakers that will fit without problems?

20+ Year
20+ Year
I know over the years Pioneer has used different plugs over different models, so I’d say chances are likely it won’t be a simple unplug and plug back up. However, they have stayed fairly consistent on the color coding for the wires. Still, you’ll need to check the manual to be sure.

I doubt you’ll need to change the cage that the radio locks in, but check that first thing.

The Kenwood KFC835C 3.5” dual cone (and their previous dual cones) had been my go to for years. They’re reasonably priced around $30 also. Coaxials typically don’t play as low as the dual cone speakers (more woofer surface area with the dual cones) and the post for the tweeter can add some unwanted reflection that is just amplified due to the speaker being so close to the windshield.

Infinity used make a Kappa 3.5” with an external crossover to roll off the highs from the woofer and they sounded really good, but they quit making them years ago. If you wanted to put some time and more money in them, you could get a set of the Kenwood Excelon KFC-X3C coaxials at Abt on sale for $60 and splice in an external crossover and I’m sure it would sound good. Crossovers go for around $15 a pair on eBay. If that sounds like something you would want to do I could look for a pair and send you the link for them and the KFC-X3Cs.

M
MAP Offline
20+ Year
20+ Year
M
If I could help a bit here...

What is the intended bandwidth for these front speakers?

Aside from acoustic performance, from a reliability standpoint, you want something that handles humidity, extreme temps, and UV radiation well. For these reasons, aluminum cones/domes work best, with synthetic rubber surrounds. SBR-coated cloth is robust too. From the small size, I take it bass output isn't important. Maybe 300-ish Hz and up? Btw, a simple series capacitor is not a good way to cross-over such speakers; much better an active crossover with a dedicated stereo amplifier (warning - $$ involved.)

If you're not fussy about performance, however, I would still pay attention to shopping for robust materials. Paper is tolerable, but barely. Plastics, most often PP for this application, don't perform well. Think of plastic dashes, which often crack. Aluminum is your best choice.

Last edited by MAP; 10/27/22 10:59 PM.
20+ Year
20+ Year
pretty much all of today's stereo units are plug and play, not sure about the speaker units, good luck!

Leo Paugh
It's not an attitude, it's just the way I am.
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
If things improve with age, I must be approaching magnificent. thumbs
20+ Year
20+ Year
Leo made me go look at some old Pioneer radios I have squirreled away - lol.

The Pioneer DEX-M88 was a part of the 1991 line-up and uses an old 6 pin molex type connector. The Pioneer DEX-P98R was part of the 1997 line-up and uses a 16-pin connector with only 8 wires. The Pioneer DEH-P960MP was part of the 2004 line-up also uses the same 16-pin connector, but utilizes all 16 pins (16 wires).

Looking at pictures of the newest Pioneer units, it does appear they are all using the same type16-pin connector used as far back as at least 1997. However, depending on the model, the connector will have more or less wires being used. So, there is a chance that the old plug might fit in the new unit, but your old plug could be using more or less wires compared to the new radio's plug - you definitely need to make sure the pin-outs are the same and not in different positions.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Help MonteCarloSS.com

Recent Contributors
86BlackSuperSport
Authorized Vendors
Tell them you saw it
on MonteCarloSS.com!

Dixie Monte Carlo Depot
Mikes Montes