CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1075319 09/30/22 02:56 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I'm the original owner of a 1986 Monte Carlo SS and just recently, the headliner started to sag. I see that you can get a roll of the headliner material but has anyone used the ABS Plastic headliners that are covered in the fabric color specific of your year ?

Thanks !

Last edited by Steve Pollard; 09/30/22 03:05 AM.
B
15+ Year
Online Content
15+ Year
B
Your headliner padding is dry rotting. I'm surprised it lasted this long. You'll want to replace it before it opens up or you're going to have nasty dust all over your interior.

I replaced mine with the ABS aftermarket one that is available probably 10+ years ago. It's a super easy install and has stood the test of time, including 5 years in the Mohave desert. It looks as good if not better than the original. I recommend it over fussing with adhesives and possibly not liking the end result.

[Linked Image]
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it !

20+ Year
20+ Year
Steve, do check with Mikes Montes, I'm pretty sure he sells one and good luck!! Do you by any chance know Anthony Burger??

Leo Paugh
It's not an attitude, it's just the way I am.
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
If things improve with age, I must be approaching magnificent. thumbs
S
OP Offline
S
Anthony Burger, no sorry, I don't

F
10+ Year
10+ Year
F
Steve, I recently bought a headliner with ABS backer from Mike's Monte's. Very good quality and great color match to my new burgundy carpet and interior trim pieces. I do have to slightly trim the front edge. Probably because I may have it too far forward. Looks like I will have to slightly trim the sides maybe 1/8 - 3/16 inch. But I would rather have it slightly larger than be too small. I would definitely recommend a Mike's Monte's headliner.

87 SS, Harwood hood, UMI trailing arms. Hooker 2050 Headers (Jet Hot Coated). Hooker Cat-Back Exhaust, Goodwrench 350, Ported TPI, Trick Flow 56cc alum heads, SLP runners, Comp Cams 260AH-12 cam, Trick Flow roller rockers, TCI 2400 stall converter, Denny's 3.5" Driveshaft, GBodyParts GNX Replica Wheels 18x8 & 18x9. F-Body Serpentine Belt Sys.
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks Fred

20+ Year
20+ Year
I installed one in my Malibu recently. Maybe they are one size fits most as it was not fun. Its in there though. The original had been recovered multiple times and the board was beyond making a solid repair.

88 SS Black/Oxblood. Power Tour car
80 Malibu 2dr. Drag Week car
10+ Year
10+ Year
I got mine from Mike's Montes about 10 years ago. I have t-tops, so it's half the size. Total time to replace my old saggy one was about 20 minutes.

<---Hey boy, let go of my finger!
S
OP Offline
S
Sounds good..... I just placed my order thru Mike's

15+ Year
15+ Year
I bought the ABS style headliner from Mike’s Montes, it was a perfect match for the original color.
I suggest get a full set of window molding clips, I was extremely careful but maybe 2 clips survived, out of the dozen.
My foam board had the front corners extremely brittle, removing it carefully did not go well. The ABS headliner ships rolled up, and allows plenty of maneuvering.
It was pretty easy working it alone. I should have replaced it years ago if I knew it would be this easy.
I used the sun visors and clothes hanger clips loosely to help
position the headliner.

I did remove the entire interior to replace the carpet and insulated the floor as well. The new carpet and headliner brought the car back up to par.

I took the time to replace the cork roof sound deadener with Dynamat Xtreme, it made a big improvement

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Help MonteCarloSS.com

Recent Contributors
86BlackSuperSport
Authorized Vendors
Tell them you saw it
on MonteCarloSS.com!

Dixie Monte Carlo Depot
Mikes Montes