CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1075231 09/20/22 03:01 PM
15+ Year
OP Offline
15+ Year
Why doesnt someone make a fuel tank for a G body to allow me to mount a stock GM fuel sending unit? Or at least make the top of the tank flat enough in a big enough area to allow me to cut a bigger hole & weld in a mounting ring for the OEM unit.

10+ Year
10+ Year
'85 and up 4.3 TBI or GN tank and sender should do it, right? I started with one stock and just switched the pump in the stock sending unit from the low pressure TBI pump to a Walbro 255 and it was done. No reason a walbro 455 wouldn't work these days, I don't think. Coming from a carb, you would have to run a fuel pump power wire, I believe there's some Hotwire kits out there that ought to work pretty well.

Shawn

'85 MC with budget 5.3L swap, TH350 with stock 2.14 rear end
It ain't much off the line, but it's nice on the highway
15+ Year
OP Offline
15+ Year
Originally Posted by Hunter79764
'85 and up 4.3 TBI or GN tank and sender should do it, right? I started with one stock and just switched the pump in the stock sending unit from the low pressure TBI pump to a Walbro 255 and it was done. No reason a walbro 455 wouldn't work these days, I don't think. Coming from a carb, you would have to run a fuel pump power wire, I believe there's some Hotwire kits out there that ought to work pretty well.

Yes an EFI tank from a TBI or GN will work. An OEM fuel sending unit is a much better design, doesn't require a sumped/baffled tank, & with supercharger & OEM ECM/controller, can use a PWM pump (ZLI pump) & then no need for a pressure regulator.

Just seems like a simple solution, sonce there are a lot of aftermarket suppliers making tanks, that one could be made to use the OEM fuel sending unit.

15+ Year
15+ Year
Originally Posted by Tunedss86
Originally Posted by Hunter79764

Yes an EFI tank from a TBI or GN will work. An OEM fuel sending unit is a much better design, doesn't require a sumped/baffled tank, & with supercharger & OEM ECM/controller, can use a PWM pump (ZLI pump) & then no need for a pressure regulator.

Just seems like a simple solution, sonce there are a lot of aftermarket suppliers making tanks, that one could be made to use the OEM fuel sending unit.

I used a spectra TBI Monte tank with a GN hanger and a Aeromotive Stealth 340lph, and a corvette filter regulator. Note on the spectra tank, look into improving the vent while filling, I have to drizzle gas into the tank - the one downside.

86 SS 6.2l LS3, Ilmor intake, Summit Stage 4 Cam, Stainless long tube headers, Stainless 3in exhaust, Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed, Eaton Truetrac 8.8 LSD, UMI Cornermax Front Suspension, 3-link Rear suspension w/ UMI Control Arms, UMI Front & Rear Braces, Brembo Brakes
S
10+ Year
10+ Year
S
I couldn't even get Ricks Tanks to talk to me about building a tank for the G body... Someone said they were building one now but I haven't verified this.

I and several others just went the route of putting a pan in the top of an OEM replacement tank with a ring to install a late model fuel module and left the OEM sending unit and vent lines intact and everything works fantastic. I ended up with about $1,000 in the setup all in with corner pickups and everything and haven't had to think about my fuel system since.

Lance
1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car
15+ Year
OP Offline
15+ Year
Anyone know if the 68-74 A body tank is close to the same size, will it work?

20+ Year
20+ Year
I also run a walbro 255 pump inside my GN tank. Fearing electric fuel pump failure and having to drop a full tank to change it, I added a "door" on the bottom of the trunk floor. This allows me to service the fuel system without having to remove the tank.

86 MCSS Notchback coupe, LS3, 4L65E, QP 9", Eaton Truetrac, 4 wheel disc, column shift, Dakota Digital, silver with maroon bench interior

15+ Year
15+ Year
Originally Posted by Tunedss86
Why doesnt someone make a fuel tank for a G body to allow me to mount a stock GM fuel sending unit? Or at least make the top of the tank flat enough in a big enough area to allow me to cut a bigger hole & weld in a mounting ring for the OEM unit.

Probably because with standard production LS engines, the fuel tank is considered part of their low emission systems due to them having Enhanced EVAP which includes a tank pressure sensor. Most LS swappers don't care about emission legality issues and aftermarket manufacturers don't want to spend the high costs to both develop emission legal parts and having them govt certified.

Of course the Erod crate packages side steps this issue by using a non enhanced EVAP system that works with old car gas tanks. Enhanced EVAP systems do not work well with non enhanced gas tanks found in most pre OBD2 cars.

SBC powered 1987 Regal with TES headers, ZZ4 intake, ZZ4 PROM chip, mini starter, THM2004R, 2500 stall converter, 2040 cam, CCC system, and 3.73 posi rear.

2008 ex NPS P71 Crown Victoria, cop motor, cop shocks, cop brakes, and Jmod.

Never argue with an idiot.
They will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
15+ Year
OP Offline
15+ Year
Ricks makes one for a chevelle that uses OEM Fuel module.

S
S
Over the years...I've collected a few GN and a TBI 4.3 Monte tank. Not exactly what you were asking but accidentally found this browsing for who knows what...

1985 GMC Caballero 4.3L V6 TBI 200C w/ 2.41 peg leg
86 Monte Carlo SS BBC396 M20 w/ 3.42 posi screen name whip rust i.p.
15+ Year
OP Offline
15+ Year
Yeah not what I was asking, but thanks.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Help MonteCarloSS.com

Recent Contributors
86BlackSuperSport
Authorized Vendors
Tell them you saw it
on MonteCarloSS.com!

CustomMonteSSParts.com