Next Thread
Print Thread
#1074935 09/02/22 06:13 PM
S
15+ Year
OP Offline
15+ Year
S
Better late than never I guess! Pictures and results from the Susquehanna SCCA autocross

https://www.scca-susq.com/latest-ne...sults/2022-ax-results-event-7-08-20/#raw

I ended up 4th out of 12 in CAM after 3 very active racers in well-prepped cars. All with much more power and tire. That's a win in my book!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bob's car lookin good on course.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is my buddy Don who I work with. He's a regular autocrosser too and has put a lot of effort into making this car fast. Until recently, it was legal in STU. The cool thing about racing with Don is we have very different cars and we always manage to finish within a tenth or three of each other. That keeps things interesting!

[Linked Image]

S
10+ Year
Online Content
10+ Year
S
Looking good Bernie!! Nice results too!!

Lance
1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car
M
20+ Year
Online Content
20+ Year
M
Bernie I've been waiting for Tom Hamm to post his pics from last event, I even talked to him to say I tried to buy a couple pics last year but got no responce from him.
I linked to Christopher Cross through the pics you posted. Here's like 1800+ pics from last event he took. Couple dozen pics of the kid and I, lots of you. Wat is impressive about Susq SCCA is the quality of the cars and drivers there. A lot of them have done hundreds of runs in cars, tons of experience.
https://photosbychristophercross.instaproofs.com/gallery/#events/1906393

Don, I've watched him at several other events beating on the car and he always looks fast. I do know who he is now.

I booked Oct 1 for two drivers.
I finally today bought what i needed to watch the sixty autox GoPro videos on the tv, in stereo. Sounds like a lot but really isn't much more than an hour of video. Jason said he found me a second already, shutup and drive.

Bernie, Buicks is Sept 24. Would hope I, we, could spend a little car time, rear suspension, that day. I need to take a serious look at what is going on under the back of your car. I listened to the mumblings on the internet, knew you were brewing something for years.
Bob

S
15+ Year
OP Offline
15+ Year
S
Thanks Lance!

Bob, I'll have to check out Tom's pictures when he puts them up. I want to get a 3' poster for my little guy's bedroom.

I'm not sure if I can make the Buick show, my wife actually signed me up for a car show at the rec center on 273. I might be able to stop by, but you should definitely come by the house and check out the shop and the rear end before you head home. I bet I'm not even out of the way.

M
20+ Year
Online Content
20+ Year
M
The time leaving Cecil would be late afternoon, maybe 4ish. A lot depends on the weather for the day.
We'll figure out details later.
Bob

S
15+ Year
OP Offline
15+ Year
S
I made a last-minute decision to run up to Pocono tonight for the SCCA race Sat/Sun. I have a lot to get packed this afternoon!

M
20+ Year
Online Content
20+ Year
M
Hope you have a good weekend at Pocono. Weather looks very good.

Next Sat at Cecil, 9/24 my friend in his 67 Camaro and I will be running our cars. For me that is just a couple passes to make sure the car hasn't lost much of a step since last year. The Buicks at Cecil thing has changed up a little. At our last local downtown show i spoke to a GN guy and asked if he was going. He said he had been to the last 6 or so and that they had cancelled it this year. I appears the two east coast Buick clubs, GS/GN and the MAGNA had issues and cancelled. But I saw on the MAGNA facebook they will be racing and a do what you want about a car show is up in the air.
So next Sat if the weather is still good Greg and I will be at Cecil.

I will PM you and we can swap phone number, I'd still like to stop by your place and talk about the 3 link.
Bob

S
15+ Year
OP Offline
15+ Year
S
Sounds good Bob.

Pocono was awesome! I rolled out around 7:30 Friday evening. Traffic was decent, 476 had a lot of construction but it was late enough that it didn't cause backups. I got to the track around 10:30. They had told me the gate was open 24-hours. My grandfather bequeathed me his Prevost motorhome last year, so we have been using that for the long-distance races at UMI and it was great to have for Pocono. They put us in the Driver/Owner lot, which was a lot nicer than staying in a hotel, other than the 10,000 lanterns raining down on the lot while still smoldering.

https://www.nightlightsevent.com/events/pocono-raceway

They made use of a few of the road course turns and that allowed you to run up on the curbing if you wanted. My car was definitely wanting for more power, but still did respectable. The course was long, with the fast cars in the high 60's for time.

I took an instructor with me on Saturday morning just to see if they had any advice. He was pretty surprised at how well the car handles. He did give me a some good feedback about pushing deeper into the braking zone for the horseshoe, saying I was coasting for a bit.

On the second day, I was gridded next to a group of 7-8 kids who came with an Audi S4 on Riken tires. I introduced them to 200TW tires and offered to take them for rides. The first kid got out all excited and told the rest of them that they had to take a ride in my car, so that's what I did all afternoon and actually ran my best run during one of those. It was cool seeing them excited about the sport.

On what was supposed to be my last run Sunday, I hit a cone and then a red flag came out because someone took out the finish line timing. Sweet, I get a re-run! They flagged me across the track and I picked up a bunch of "OPR" (Other Peoples' Rubber). On my re-run, everything felt good in terms of hitting marks and putting the car where I wanted it, but the time was a good 3 seconds off of my best. Now I have to figure out how to get that crap off. I ended up 3rd both days, behind a fox body with a stroked LS3 and Larry's turbo '66 mustang. The car ran good, the carb tuning seems to be good, I spun the motor way too fast in a few spots but she held together. Looks like I have a leak between the P/S pump and reservoir so I'll have to grab an O-ring.

The highlight of the event for me was when they took us out for 3 laps on the speedway behind a "pace car" between the morning and afternoon sessions. The pace car was the SCCA event organizer in his S2000, and he didn't hold back very much. We hit about 125 down the back stretch and were pulling some G's in the banking too. I was going as fast as I felt comfortable at least in a car I built that's set up for low-speed corners.

S
10+ Year
Online Content
10+ Year
S
That sounds like a blast of a weekend Bernie!!

Lance
1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car
S
15+ Year
OP Offline
15+ Year
S
It sure was! And it was unexpected too. I didn't even know that event was going on before last Wednesday, and I was really surprised that I was able to sneak away for the weekend. My mom came up for the weekend to pick up the slack with the plans we already had and my wife was really cool about it. I hope to take the family up next year.

M
20+ Year
Online Content
20+ Year
M
Bummer, just cancelled our Sat autox in Harrisburg. Would say the odds for a dry day in Harrisburg were stacked against us. IAN is passing our way on Sat, could go north on either side of Harrisburg but we're on the East side and figure it's a lot of rain Sat. Those RT660 I just don't trust in the rain, no need to find out.

This afternoon got two 'spection stickuss' on the windshield. Here in PA once a year it's safety and emissions holograms on the windshield. They keep us safe.

The need to rack up street miles on the car this year and the need to talk to the old guy with the ZL1 repop in his gorgeous silver 67 Vette with the Muncie made for a late afternoon drive to the Sonic parking lot, about a 40 mile round trip per the odometer. Back a few years ago before the crash 100-150 cars would show up there on a Thurs night. Tonight about 15. But my goal was to start negotiating a ride in his car. I was standing on first base before I left. 67 BBC Tri-power with Gear Venders was one of just a couple I really thought i need to own. That old guys 67 would fulfill that car for me. Always thought that late 60s ZL1 engine was what I needed in the 86. The repop appears about the time I was shopping for a 427 cu inch engine, 2007-8. Only 400 ish ZL1 crate produced and over 15K in price, wasn't in the cards back then.

Drag raced, well more like made three runs at Cecil last weekend. First was real slow, 2nd much better and after the third time to go home. When you make only a couple passes a year the first is a throwaway, the stupid stuff shows up. Spin through 1st and 2nd cause you thought wrong, miss third, slide it into 5th to get out of the way.
Second run was concentrating a little more on the launch, 1.89 sec sixty foot on street tires and an autox setup, granny shift up to 4th, 12.72 @113.1. tapping on the rev limiter. Happy with that pass. Third pass was more silliness, spin 1st, lousy 60', spin 2nd and hit limiter, drive off into the distance and ran a 13.3 @ 112.6.

Have now seen where the 4.11 R&P is to much at the autox and now shows less is better at the drags. The 4.11s were necessary with the 27" tall Hoosiers slicks. The 25.5 tires now need a little less rear gear to make the car happy. Winter's project, 3.73 back in the car.

If I can't find another autox event to run another trip to Cecil may be on the calendar. My friend with a 65 Olds wagon, 600 hp, needs to get back to the 1/4 mile to see if the 9" 3500 stall converter we will be installing, replacing the 8" 3500, fix the cars ills. It never hooks up. If the parts can be in hand and installed maybe the 15th back to Cecil. I'll make 3 or 54 more runs in the 86 at that time.
As we know at the drags we are always looking to get quicker, faster each time. The 86 best on just a street tire, no DR of slicks was 12.39 @114.87. Would be sweet to duplicate that now on a 15 year old build.
Bob

Link Copied to Clipboard
Help MonteCarloSS.com

Recent Contributors
86BlackSuperSport
Authorized Vendors
Tell them you saw it
on MonteCarloSS.com!

CustomMonteSSParts.com
Dixie Monte Carlo Depot
GSI Interiors
HRpartsNstuff