Print Thread
S
SSLance Offline OP
10+ Year
OP Offline
10+ Year
S
Well, not really... laugh

He flew out here for work but he extended his stay a day longer to stay and race with us in our last race of the spring. We really enjoyed hosting him and his friend / co-worker Chris who got to race my friend Mat's car also.

Bernie is a pretty good driver, he got used to my car on course very quickly and started picking off newer Vettes right away. By the end of his 5th run, he was about 5 tenths off my fastest clean run and on his 6th run he put down a flyer and beat me by 2 tenths!!

I get to take a little credit as I was watching each of his runs from the sidelines and gave him hints and tips after each run. 😎 He'd go back out on the next run, clean those areas up and get faster...each time.

Unfortunately the GoPro camera died so we don't have video of his last 2 runs. Here was his 4th run though.

https://youtu.be/MPJO2mv_WiA

Best part for me was the car stayed together for 12 back to back runs with no issues. We never even popped the hood or twisted a knob on the car all day. The adjustments I made at GoodGuys seemed to help on a big FAST SCCA course as well.

Super happy we got to do this, always like to have guest drivers in my car, especially good ones. I even learned a little bit which is always good.

Now we are off for the summer, time for some much needed maintenance and upgrades...

Lance
1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car
M
20+ Year
20+ Year
M
Glad to see the weekend event was a big success, learning curve for both you and Bernie. And not touching the car with two different drivers and 12 runs says something about how good the car is.
Hoping Bernie jumps in here after he get back home after a trip out West. Interested to hear what he has to say about beating on your car and his take on how Barney's mods differed from his ride.
Bob

S
15+ Year
15+ Year
S
How did I miss this post??? My NAME is in the subject slap... I just came into this section to make a new post about the SUSQ race and stumbled onto this!

Lance and Terri also put us up for the night in their BEAUTIFUL home and treated us to some delicious BBQ! We got to see some cool cars in their neighbor's shop and also saw the ISS pass over the morning of the race for the first time.

Lance's car felt similar to mine in many ways, but obviously with a lot more power and also better roll control from the big front bar. It was easy to find the limit of traction both front and rear, so you can focus on your line and your marks rather than trying to figure out what the car is doing. In the video, you can see where the rear broke traction and I was able to roll onto the throttle, transfer some weight to the rear and bring it back in line with no fuss. That really lit a fire under my butt to do something about my anemic 290 hp iron SBC and I went home and bought an L77 in short order (much to Lance's dismay wink ) Knowing the chassis can handle it (dynamically... physically took a little more work turns out!) with no downsides is great. It was also great meeting a few of the other G-body guys (Matt and James) I have seen online for so long!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Help MonteCarloSS.com

Recent Contributors
86BlackSuperSport
Authorized Vendors
Tell them you saw it
on MonteCarloSS.com!

Dixie Monte Carlo Depot
Mikes Montes