MonteCarloSS.com

CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
V
OP Offline
V
Was checking my high pressure power steering hose to make sure it wasn't leaking, looked at the frame where the hose runs closest to it & spotted a 1 inch snap ring just lying there. I have no idea where it come from/ where it goes. Does the intermediate steering shaft or steering box have any snap rings associated with them? Thanks.

S
15+ Year
15+ Year
S
The intermediate shaft does not. It's been a while since I was into a steering gear, but I believe you need a spanner wrench for the input, not a snap ring.

External snap ring I assume? I'd think it's more likely you shot one across the garage and that's where it ended up than for one to have come loose on its own laugh

V
OP Offline
V
It's so weird. It looks like one of the snap rings that's used in the upper steering column, but my steering wheel didn't come loose in my hands.

A
10+ Year
Online Content
10+ Year
A
Could be the snap ring on the Steering Column Lower Bearing.
Look where the linkage comes through the firewall.
This is an upgrade to replace the plastic bushing with a steel bearing kit for better feel; esp after its worn.
Two links:
https://www.dixierestorationdepot.com/Product/Detail.aspx?p=2&s=DM90835
https://www.mikesmontes.com/Reprodu...mn-Bearing-Kit-Free-Shipping_p_3071.html
Also, might be something off of the shift linkage?
Gordon

1987 Aerocoupe. Frame-off, notched/mini-tub, 383 with AFRs @ 535HP/487TQ, March Serpentine, 304 SS headers (Jet-Hot) & 304 3" dual exhaust w/ Borlas, Janis 200-4R, TrueTrac w/ girdle and Moser 28, Hydroboost, computer delete, lowered, every part replaced or messed with (several times).
V
OP Offline
V
Thanks for the links. The snap ring I found is the style that has the 2 little holes at the ends of it. You need those super thin pliers to install/ remove them. It's a floor shift car, so no shift linkage stuff around the area. When something gets loose/ falls off, I'll know what it was from.

S
15+ Year
15+ Year
S
Any history of A/C clutch/bearing work done on the vehicle???

1985 GMC Caballero 4.3L V6 TBI 200C w/ 2.41 posi
86 Monte Carlo SS BBC396 M20 w/ 3.42 posi screen name whip rust i.p.
V
OP Offline
V
No sir. Original unit that's never been touched. That's not to say it's not disintegrating or something. Thoughts?

20+ Year
20+ Year
Yeah,,, I'm with SickSpeed on this one. Highly unlikely one fell off, although I guess it could have never been seated to begin with. More than likely it's a launching from something else while the hood was up?? Those pistons designed to use snap rings for the piston wrist-pin locks are right at an inch in diameter.

V
OP Offline
V
I saved it & will continue to look around & try to determine where it came from.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Help MonteCarloSS.com

Recent Contributors
86BlackSuperSport
Authorized Vendors
Tell them you saw it
on MonteCarloSS.com!

Dixie Monte Carlo Depot
Mikes Montes