MonteCarloSS.com
MonteCarloSS.com

CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1074655 07/31/22 12:42 AM
OP Offline
Hey guys - I been noticing lately my car is chopping upon start. It’s a hesitation while kicking over see video link . Battery is showing charged, and it’s a new battery. Could it be timing related? I recently timed it - battery is testing at 11.9 when running at idle, perhaps a alternator and / or starter?

Choppy start

Last edited by 83Monte305; 07/31/22 01:07 AM.
20+ Year
20+ Year
Explain how you timed it please!!

Leo Paugh
It's not an attitude, it's just the way I am.
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
If things improve with age, I must be approaching magnificent. thumbs
86ttop #1074657 07/31/22 01:09 AM
OP Offline
Timing was done slight advance

20+ Year
20+ Year
You're going to have to buy a timing light or borrow one . You can't expect the car to run right if you don't know where it's timed, or you didn't follow the procedures.

With the engine off, disconnect the large 4-wire plug coming from the distributor base (it'll be on the passenger side).
Start the engine with it unplugged - you'll note that the check engine light will come on (that's OK for now).
Set the timing - stock is 6 degrees - if you don't mind paying for premium gas, you can go up to 10 degrees for a little more pep.
Once set, and bolted back down, turn the engine off before plugging the connector back up.
Reconnect the 4-wire plug and disconnect the negative battery cable for a few minutes (this will clear the codes).
If you happen to check the ignition afterwards, the computer will pull it up to around 20 degrees.

Check out the link to the technical information of this site - there's a ton of information that might prove helpful to you.
http://montecarloss.com/technical/

Also, seems like you said before that you took the carburetor off on an earlier post - did you buy a new carb to intake gasket? If you took off the top, did you use a new air-horn (top) gasket?

OP Offline
I definitely get all that, but my issue is with starting, not timing necessarily. The car seems to run ok but the hesitation starts recently started. Again not sure if it is a timing issue or something completely different?

Last edited by 83Monte305; 07/31/22 02:27 AM.
15+ Year
Online Content
15+ Year
Does it hard start all the time or only when cold or hot? Vacuum leaks are a common source of hard starting.

Last edited by Buick Runner; 07/31/22 03:28 AM.

SBC powered 1987 Regal with TES headers, ZZ4 intake, ZZ4 PROM chip, mini starter, THM2004R, 2500 stall converter, 2040 cam, CCC system, and 3.73 posi rear.

2008 ex NPS P71 Crown Victoria, cop motor, cop shocks, cop brakes, and Jmod.

Never argue with an idiot.
They will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
20+ Year
20+ Year
Originally Posted by 83Monte305
I definitely get all that, but my issue is with starting, not timing necessarily. The car seems to run ok but the hesitation starts recently started. Again not sure if it is a timing issue or something completely different?

What you're calling a "choppy start", with that bit of "ping" or "click" right before it fires off, is because the timing is set too high. So, yeah, your starting issue is timing related. If you didn't get the hold down bolt secure the distributor can/will move and change the timing.

Also, you should be reading 13.5 plus volts when the car is running - if not, your alternator is not charging.

OP Offline
Awesome thanks for the info - I’ll check it all over better later today.

What do you use to loosen/tighten the distributer bolt, I have a lot of trouble getting in there with a standard wrench

Online Content
A lot of times O'Reilly or Advance has a timing light you can rent and you get every penny back when you return it. You have been asked numerous times about a timing number and never really answered, I'm not sure why the resistance but is a very important piece of the pie. I listed in one of your previous post the importance of a timing light and setting it the correct way. Timing events play a part in starting your car, ever heard of guys running their advance locked out at 36 and needing to run an ignition system with start retard? That's in extreme circumstances but I'm just saying that to get the point across about it effecting the starting.

I use a 14mm crows foot , 3/8" drive u joint, and a 6" 3/8 exstension. They also have distributor hold down wrenches on Summit.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 88ssBrent; 07/31/22 02:38 PM.
OP Offline
Ok thanks. For the timing I advanced it too much, no number was documented so I couldn’t tell you, but I set back to original so all good.

20+ Year
20+ Year
[Linked Image]

Surely there is someone you know, that knows someone that knows someone, that has a timing light.

OP Offline
Yea Ill make sure to buy one here shortly - if you have kids and family then you know how time and money take priority with them

Last edited by 83Monte305; 07/31/22 11:36 PM.
15+ Year
Online Content
15+ Year
Just to let you know the old car hobby is expensive. It requires a large assortment of speciality tools and equipment. A timing light is a basic tool for old engine repair, along with a analog dwell meter, vacuum gauge, Mityvac, multimeter, scan tool, etc. No matter how much you buy, you will always need another specialized tool. That is not even going into the cost of parts.

SBC powered 1987 Regal with TES headers, ZZ4 intake, ZZ4 PROM chip, mini starter, THM2004R, 2500 stall converter, 2040 cam, CCC system, and 3.73 posi rear.

2008 ex NPS P71 Crown Victoria, cop motor, cop shocks, cop brakes, and Jmod.

Never argue with an idiot.
They will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
M
20+ Year
20+ Year
M
Yes we all have made the choice between kid's needs and our toy car needs and the kids win most of the time.

With cars comes the need for some knowledge and tools to support the car. Or we take it to someone with knowledge and tools and hope we get what we paid for.

Sometimes we can find someone who can help us. These 80-90s cars were transitions years from the old school stuff with the brains of an old lawnmower to the cars today which will tell you what's wrong with them. I really helps to have a person, mechanic, repair shop that can deal with stuff from the infancy tech of the 80-90s cars. Unfortunately those guys are hard to find.

My first suggestion is frequent some cars shows and ask around and try and locate shops, people, mechanics that play with the old stuff, word of mouth is great for this. Most anyone with a classic or older iron has someone they know. The 4th gen Gs, the 3rd gen Camaros, the full size Caprices/Impala SS of the 80 and 90s, the GN guys. All possible sources of who may have answers , the the key, knowledge of what is under the hood on a 4th gen Monte SS.

Be aware the car community of those cars may tell you to ditch the Quadra-junk, the CCC, it's the norm for the culture. Don't be swayed, there is little if any improvement to a stockish SS by spending money to delete the CCC system.
Bob

Link Copied to Clipboard
Help MonteCarloSS.com

Recent Contributors
86BlackSuperSport
Authorized Vendors
Tell them you saw it
on MonteCarloSS.com!

Dixie Monte Carlo Depot
Mikes Montes