MonteCarloSS.com
MonteCarloSS.com

CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1074505 07/20/22 09:24 PM
OP Offline
Oil pressure switch on dash went all the way up and stuck.. when I test drive it it dropped back to normal. Is this an electrical glitch or high O.P?

Last edited by 83Monte305; 07/21/22 12:36 AM.
20+ Year
20+ Year
If it still has the original sender, it's probably a good time to replace it, good luck!!

Leo Paugh
It's not an attitude, it's just the way I am.
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
If things improve with age, I must be approaching magnificent. thumbs
Online Content
I have an 88 ss but I'm going to assume the 83 is similar. On our cars have a oil pressure switch and a oil pressure sender. When oil pressure is above 4 psi the oil pressure swich closes for power to go through. The oil pressure sender is your engine oil pressure and it sends info to the gauge. Me being paranoid the one time I had a funky oil pressure reading I checked oil pressure first I just have a Harbour Freight kit and it has all the fittings https://www.harborfreight.com/engine-oil-pressure-test-kit-62621.html. My local auto parts ( O'Reilly and Advance) store has one to rent also. After that you can troubleshoot to find if gauge or sender is at fault. All of this is covered in manuals I referenced in other thread.

If you have the sender wire grounded with the key on, it should read zero.
if it does, then most likely the sender has failed, If it doesn't that means that somewhere from the sending unit wiring connector all the way to the gauge, there's a lost/open connection. Has it always done this or just started?

Also using Google to search this topic is usually faster than asking. Here is the search and tons of info on this topic as you scroll down, once again not trying to be a smartass it's just a way to help.

https://www.google.com/search?q=test+oil+pressure+sender+monte+carlo+ss+site:www.montecarloss.com&client=ms-android-samsung-gs-rev1&prmd=sivn&sxsrf=ALiCzsaQSguNZzEhuABw96HrX1FyWjMxAA:1658592864799&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi346H0s4_5AhWtoWoFHfALAewQrQIoBHoECEoQBQ&biw=360&bih=723&dpr=3#ip=1

Last edited by 88ssBrent; 07/23/22 04:33 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Help MonteCarloSS.com

Recent Contributors
86BlackSuperSport
Authorized Vendors
Tell them you saw it
on MonteCarloSS.com!

Dixie Monte Carlo Depot
Mikes Montes