MonteCarloSS.com

CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
10+ Year
OP Offline
10+ Year
Just figured i would copy n paste my facebook message to the montecarloss group to here.. Something tells me i would get more serious response here sorry for the format...
So i bought these stock lug nuts from mikesmontes great site im NOT bashing his service at all So don't get me wrong, I purchase there all the time that site is top notch..
But I must admit. do not buy the stock lug nuts with the chrome covers, they are absolute garbage.. Can't even torque the things with out damaging them, they rust quicker than anything, worst of all, they The chrome covers just slide and break off any time you try and change a tire or even tighten or torque them.... Im sure someone here has experienced this. Once they come off.. how do you keep them from coming back off.. I changed my tires and went to the car wash, sprayed my wheels and 3 of them flew off like nothing..ok i guess i will just keep them off. lmao..
Anyways on a lighter note, does anyone have any suggestions, for purchasing more decorative lug nuts like them spikes? and what size to get for stock 86 monte carlo studs?.. as well as you can see in the picture my center caps are missing, someone told me they sell replacements in the states all over the place.. but, im up in canada.. so just long winded story short, raise awareness to not buy the chrome covered lug nuts lol.. just imagine the cars behind me watching shiny things flying off my wheels while im accelerating... what a waste of money. any one else ever have this problem? or have a solution?
I have a complete set of 4 center caps for 14 inch aluminum checker'ed racing styled rims... but i just changed breaks, plugs and wires and went back to these 15 inch rims, which i must admit ride alot better. but they are all missing center caps. Anyways #rantover

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by confusion101; 06/22/22 04:52 AM.
Administrator
20+ Year
Administrator
20+ Year
I’ve encountered the same issue with the re-pop stock lugnuts, I’ve gathered a set of stock lugs I found from a Monte in a yard, same ones are used for the 14” checker wheels. I’ve had a couple of those with covers that stripped as well though, to be fair. But it seems easier to happen with the aftermarket ones.

-86'SS 383 CCC QJet- BRF 2004r-8.5" 3.42
-87'LS 350 MAF/SD TPI- CRF 2004r-7.5" 3.42
-81'Grand LeMans Safari Wagon 350 CCC Q-Jet/CZF 2004-r/8.5" 3.73
-07'TBSS Stockish daily driver
[Linked Image]
20+ Year
20+ Year
When I bought refinished wheels from Mike, I also bought the lugs and the center caps!

Leo Paugh
It's not an attitude, it's just the way I am.
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
If things improve with age, I must be approaching magnificent. thumbs
10+ Year
OP Offline
10+ Year
Originally Posted by 86ttop
When I bought refinished wheels from Mike, I also bought the lugs and the center caps!

How did you go abouts getting the center caps to stay in securely...I mean after changing tires i have already lost half my chrome lug nut covers just from normal driving, But even on my 14 inch rims the center caps would very loosely snap in or fit in there but just wiggle n jiggle, i think i even tried a few dabs of adhesive at the time to keep them secure... but even then one still went flying off luckily i found it.. so i still have the 4 center caps for 14 inch rims, but is there a trick or method or special adhesive to use when installing new center caps? almost seems like once they are installed, they are installed and cant come off with out them breaking..

20+ Year
20+ Year
Nothing, they just stayed on!

Leo Paugh
It's not an attitude, it's just the way I am.
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
If things improve with age, I must be approaching magnificent. thumbs
Administrator
20+ Year
Administrator
20+ Year
Originally Posted by confusion101
Originally Posted by 86ttop

How did you go abouts getting the center caps to stay in securely...I mean after changing tires i have already lost half my chrome lug nut covers just from normal driving, But even on my 14 inch rims the center caps would very loosely snap in or fit in there but just wiggle n jiggle, i think i even tried a few dabs of adhesive at the time to keep them secure... but even then one still went flying off luckily i found it.. so i still have the 4 center caps for 14 inch rims, but is there a trick or method or special adhesive to use when installing new center caps? almost seems like once they are installed, they are installed and cant come off with out them breaking..

I have new aftermarket center caps on my 17" N90's. Not sure if there is any difference in the rims themselves vs stock 15"s in that area, shouldn't be, but they've stayed on just fine. Those wheels have different lugnuts, the ones I got from Mike are probably what you have for the stock 15"s. Only 1-2 of the lug covers came off in limited use but using a tire iron had the outer covers come off fairly easily it seemed. Not sure if there is a trick to helping keep them on. For center caps I've seen some people use a little silicone.

-86'SS 383 CCC QJet- BRF 2004r-8.5" 3.42
-87'LS 350 MAF/SD TPI- CRF 2004r-7.5" 3.42
-81'Grand LeMans Safari Wagon 350 CCC Q-Jet/CZF 2004-r/8.5" 3.73
-07'TBSS Stockish daily driver
[Linked Image]
Online Content
This is the style of lug nut I used on my n90's, they are gorrila lock lugnuts and solid. I was not really worried about theft just that they were a good solid lugnut and my local autoparts store had them in stock for not much more money. I ordered aftermarket center caps and they were a little loose fitting, I gently bent the tabs out to make them fit snug but I had to be careful or the tab would easily break off.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 88ssBrent; 06/29/22 01:45 PM.
S
15+ Year
15+ Year
S
Your wheel studs are 12mm x 1.5.

Last edited by SickSpeedMonte; 06/29/22 07:37 PM.
I used an old set of lugs and and screw on black covers from a 91 Camaro RS, and it for well and looked good. Just an idea, and they’re easily accessed on eBay etc.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Help MonteCarloSS.com

Recent Contributors
86BlackSuperSport
Authorized Vendors
Tell them you saw it
on MonteCarloSS.com!

Dixie Monte Carlo Depot
Mikes Montes