CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1074150 - 06/21/22 01:59 AM Wiper Delay Troubleshooting  
88infiniteMCSS Offline
88infiniteMCSS  Offline

Los Angeles CA
So I've got this electrical gremlin with my wipers that I have been trying to figure out and the time to ask for some help has come.

This is on an 88' MCSS with CD4 delay wiper.

Symptom: Wipers will only work in the wash function. There is no Lo, Hi, or Delay. Only Wash/Push will spin the motor.
I am not sure if the switch itself (inside the column) is the problem or if it is the delay circuit board.

Note: When I bought the car, PO made the car a column shift. Said that due to back problems, he didn't like the floor shifter, therefore made it a column shift. Never made sense to me, but to each there own. Maybe when he did this column mod, the OG wiper switch got mismatched? IDK
(I later got rid of that column shift and found the right column cover. It was a while back so I don't remember exactly how I accomplished this, but I believe I changed the guts out or something like that. I don't remember swapping columns.)

This is the female connector coming from the motor with the male connector from the switch (currently in the column). This is the one where only the wash function works.
As you can see, the colors do not match. When I cycle through the different speeds on the switch, I feel all of the detents from the switch but nothing works except for wash.
[Linked Image]

Because of the mismatched wires, I decided to go and pull a wiper switch from a yard. Iirc I pulled this out of an 89' Firebird.
When I hook this one up to the female connector, with the ignition on the motor just spins at one speed no matter where I set the speed. It won't stop until I turn the key off.
Also, with this switch, I can't feel any detents. Idk if the switch is faulty or not.
[Linked Image]

I mistakenly pulled this one but with this one I can feel all of the detents in the switch for the different speeds, but nothing happens with the motor at all, even in the wash function.
[Linked Image]

So that is what I am working with as far as the switch goes.

I then dug into the wiper motor itself to take a look inside.
I scuffed up the copper circuits a bit to clean it up. ( Don't know if that helps) I also sprayed it with some electrical parts cleaner. It looks like some moisture or actual water was able to get in there. I don't know how much detail the pics will show but from what I can see, all of the solder points look good and are making contact.
This is what I found.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

So at this point, given the symptoms that I get from the current switch inside the column, the ones that I pulled from the yard, and the condition of the board itself, where does it point?

Thanks in advance to anyone taking the time.
And sorry if its too many pics, but just trying to show as much as possible.

#1074162 - 06/22/22 01:15 AM Re: Wiper Delay Troubleshooting [Re: 88infiniteMCSS]  
86ttop Online grandpa
20+ Year
86ttop  Online Grandpa
20+ Year

Brooksville, Fl
Since the colors don't match up on either the switch nor body harness, it won't work

Leo Paugh
It's not an attitude, it's just the way I am.
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
If things improve with age, I must be approaching magnificent. thumbs
#1074163 - 06/22/22 01:41 AM Re: Wiper Delay Troubleshooting [Re: 86ttop]  
88infiniteMCSS Offline
88infiniteMCSS  Offline

Los Angeles CA
So the wires from the switch that I show in the 2nd pic do match the motor connector wires. 2 wires being white and Grey. Then a gap followed by 3 wires, green, purple and pink. I thought that this switch would've solved my problem. But that one just spins the motor until I turn the key off.

The switch is like $100 online and I've seen a guy rebuilding the circuit board on ebay for $40 I think. I'm just trying to see what is the actual problem instead of throwing money at it.

Last edited by 88infiniteMCSS; 06/22/22 01:41 AM.
#1074177 - 06/23/22 01:13 AM Re: Wiper Delay Troubleshooting [Re: 88infiniteMCSS]  
86ttop Online grandpa
20+ Year
86ttop  Online Grandpa
20+ Year

Brooksville, Fl
thumbs

Leo Paugh
It's not an attitude, it's just the way I am.
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
If things improve with age, I must be approaching magnificent. thumbs

Random Images
500/thumbs/1987_Monte_Carlo_SS_Aerocoupe_w_17x9_SS_.jpg
by BlueStreak In Spring
500/thumbs/20273_580037997421_38008392_33904477_1176940_n.jpg
by SickSpeedMonte
500/thumbs/Left_resized.jpg
by SSONAIR
500/thumbs/Mc31.jpg
by hotrodmc