Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
10+ Year
10+ Year
F
On the Original Air F-Body condenser, how much would you have to cut from the core support?

87 SS, Harwood hood, UMI trailing arms. Hooker 2050 Headers (Jet Hot Coated). Hooker Cat-Back Exhaust, Goodwrench 350, Ported TPI, Trick Flow 56cc alum heads, SLP runners, Comp Cams 260AH-12 cam, Trick Flow roller rockers, TCI 2400 stall converter, Denny's 3.5" Driveshaft, GBodyParts GNX Replica Wheels 18x8 & 18x9. F-Body Serpentine Belt Sys.
OP Online Content
After some thought I think I'm going with alternate mounting options for the parallel flow. At first install I was disheartened with the fit of the camaro condenser, after a night of sleep and looking at it again it will be probably a days work to get it mounted right and look nice but i think it will be worth it. A lot of things I've ran across about mounting the f body condenser in the g body it seemed like it just popped right in but after digging and looking at tons of pictures of condensers and looking at some install pictures I don't think it's so simple. Not going to be a huge job just a little thought as far as doing it right and making it look good. Here is a picture I found where someone mounted one, as you can see it's far to the right and the core support has been clearance. The second picture is of my car with the camaro parallel flow in the factory position. I have some ideas on how to mount it, I'll post pictures as I go along, probably be the weekend. I also have the Spectra 6mm piccolo coming from Amazon for the regal. I'm going to return it but it will be interesting to get a look at it .
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

20+ Year
20+ Year
Is there anyone still making tube #21 in the image below? It is hard line all the way. Or are you just making a new hose with fittings on the ends & flexible in the middle?

[Linked Image]

S
10+ Year
10+ Year
S
Sorry I didn't get back to you about the condenser, I've been out of pocket a bit the last couple of weeks. I went with function over form and clearanced my core support to make the universal fit better condenser work. I also just made all new soft lines. With my bastard setup this seemed like the best route for me to take and I'm long past trying to keep my car OEM looking. Hopefully the rest of your install works out as you'd like it too.

Lance
1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car
OP Online Content
You won't find the 88-91 camaro liquid line #21 anywhere except Original Air, it's advertised as hard line but when I received it was part hard part soft which was fine by me. Every one that used the completely hard line had to bend it to fit. You can see it in this picture, I really like it that it has 2 ports. One for high pressure switch for fans and you still have a port to hook high pressure gauge to. Ill take better pictures of it when i get home.[Linked Image]

20+ Year
20+ Year
Ah, I didnt recognize it. Did you buy it individual or in a kit? Is it for G body, or Camaro?

Last edited by Tunedss86; 03/01/22 07:25 PM.
OP Online Content
I got the camaro 88-91 parallel condenser in the car. Actually wasn't as bad as I thought once I removed a piece (pictured) from the radiator support it was held on by 3 "sheet metal screws". I had to trim the radiator support but was still able to use the factory rubber mounts top and bottom in their factory positions, I'll take better pictures once I'm done. I need to clean up the notch and paint the bare metal spots. The hose is from original air for a 88-91 camaro, it was $84 and you can buy it separately.

Overall Im happy with it and I'll be interested to see the performance of the true parallel flow. Interestingly I have read the differences in cheap parallel flow and more expensive parallel flow and the one I have seems to be "better" quality.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

20+ Year
20+ Year
I just got an email from Vintage Air stating they are about 30 days out from having a G body Olds condenser available that is parallel flow & has fittings on the passenger side.

OP Online Content
I hope it becomes true for others, I called them almost 6 months ago asking if they had any options for passenger side on a g body and they said 30 days.

20+ Year
20+ Year
DOH.

They Told me price would be around $320. Seems steep considering their universal one is $179 on Amazon.

They also sent me a PDF of the installation instructions of their full kit for the Monte.

OP Online Content
About right on price if it's a good quality true parallel mine was $330. Cheaper parallel condensers will have less tubes running horizontal and less fins per inch running vertical, it's a way they cut cost. If you look on original air they also have install manuals for monte carlo and camaro. They also know alot of people will just pay more for a true bolt in option.

F
10+ Year
10+ Year
F
Which A/C drier/accumulator did you use? A Camaro piece or Monte Carlo?

Fred

87 SS, Harwood hood, UMI trailing arms. Hooker 2050 Headers (Jet Hot Coated). Hooker Cat-Back Exhaust, Goodwrench 350, Ported TPI, Trick Flow 56cc alum heads, SLP runners, Comp Cams 260AH-12 cam, Trick Flow roller rockers, TCI 2400 stall converter, Denny's 3.5" Driveshaft, GBodyParts GNX Replica Wheels 18x8 & 18x9. F-Body Serpentine Belt Sys.
OP Online Content
In the picture is my old monte carlo accumulator, I'm putting in a new original style accumulator for a 88 Monte Carlo. If you used a camaro accumulator it would be putting the lines more towards the fender. Camaro soft lines should be here Monday and I will take some pictures. First picture is a camaro accumulator, second picture is the Monte accumulator.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

F
10+ Year
10+ Year
F
Thank You Brent, I am in the process of putting parts together to get A/C back in my Monte. When I did my TPI conversion, I did not re-connect the A/C because it was not functioning anyway. I looked at Original Air before and their stuff looks good. It appears they have all the parts to get A/C back in my Monte using a Sanden compressor, including the conversion brackets.

Fred

OP Online Content
Just to recap, to get the original air 89-91 camaro parallel flow condenser to fit the original mounting you need to remove the shield in the above picture with the 3 screws, notch the passenger side core support as pictured above and gently bend the lines. You can make it fit the factory mounts as is but it's not pretty. It bothered me so I took the brackets on the driver side and flipped them, elongated the holes and that made it possible for it to perfectly match the factory mounting, gained a little over 1/2". I painted everything after, pictures aren't the best but maybe you can see.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

OP Online Content
It put more work in but at this point I've bought all the parts and I'm at $815 before tax and shipping. That's including everything that is in the stage 2 from original air except for for pressure switch which I already had, the stage 2 kit is $1075 before tax and shipping.

Here are the few observations and questions I would have about original air if I was going to use their stage 2 or 3. If I was to buy the stage 3 I would want the camaro kit with the Monte evaporator and accumulator, if you used the camaro evaporator and accumulator it would put it directly into the valve cover. If you used stage 2 you would want the camaro kit with the Monte accumulator. For the questions, is the compressor a sanden? Everywhere on their site it says "sanden style compressor". Where do the lines exit from the compressor? I went with the sanden with the gm ports in the back because I like the look of the f body manifold and how the lines route. In their picture it looks like the ports go out the top or the side, not sure about valve cover clearance but i put "tall" 3.5" valve covers on last night and they cleared, barely but they cleared. Just a few minor things to keep in mind, I'm sure the kit is hassle free.

Last edited by 88ssBrent; 03/07/22 02:55 PM.
F
10+ Year
10+ Year
F
Nice work Brent.

OP Online Content
I pulled all the bolts and fastners off the caprice but if anyone needs to reference here is the list and directions for the gmpp serpentine which is the same. One thing to note with the sanden install is you must drill out the threads on the ac bracket mount. If you get the dirty dingo r4 to sanden brackets it's in the instructions.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 88ssBrent; 03/09/22 04:00 PM.
OP Online Content
The f body line kinked a little and I was unhappy with it. I ended up taking about 3" off the hose going to the accumulator and replaced the 45° fitting with a 90° at the accumulator. I am really happy with how it has turned out, pictures are a little dark so if anyone needs better pictures let me know.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

M
20+ Year
20+ Year
M
I like the look of the line set. Having two ports in the high pressure line is good. With the inner wheel housing in place the line set has plenty of room? And both appear away from the headers.

One thing, with the hp line doing that U bend and the electric fan hp switch hanging out there adding vibration and stress to that hp line thinking I would try to add some kind of a vibration damper to that line to deaden possible movement.
The accumulator to compressor hose/line turned out very nice with that 90.
Bob

Z
Z
I installed the f body belt setup as well and am having the same problem with the manifold line. Do you have a part number for the 90 degree line and crimp the line yourself or did you take it somewhere to have that done? By the way 88ssBrent,nice job on the car. It's going to be nice when you're done.

OP Online Content
I went to the local hydraulic parts place with the original hose and showed them the end and told them I needed it in a 90° fitting. The part number on the receipt is Eaton 75712E-Z91. Not sure if they are all that way but my hose was considered reduced barrier so I needed a reduced barrier fitting. Once I got the fitting I took it home and oriented the way I wanted, marked it, and took it back to get it crimped. You could also call nostalgic air and they could send you a fitting but you would need to find someone to crimp, this seems like the right fitting https://nostalgicac.com/fittings-ho...0-90-degree-female-o-ring-fitting-1.html but im not sure about reduce barrier vs barrier. At the hydraulic parts place it $15.20 total for fitting and crimp.Thank you for the compliments.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 88ssBrent; 03/13/22 09:55 PM.
Z
Z
Thanks for the part number!

OP Online Content
Still moving along slowly on the swap. One thing to note is I called sanden and they said that the compressor was full of their pag sp-15, they stated that as long as it was a normal sized system that the compressor had the correct amount and that it did not need to be spread through out the system that it would spread on its own during use. After reading other horror stories of half full compressors I drained the oil and yep it had the correct amount. I was able to get the evaporator core flushed this weekend , my local auto parts store had the flush canister as part of the loaner tool program and a can of fast evaporating flush was $24. All I flushed was the evaporator core everything else is new.
[Linked Image]

One of the jobs I tackled today was shortening one of the supports, it was about 3/8" too long due to the compressor being longer. Some people say you don't need the supports and some say you need them. I figure Gm put them there for a reason so here is it being shortened.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is from a older post but the tall valve covers are the ones that are on the car now with the sanden serpentine and everything clears. It's really close on one of the compressor bolt heads but it does clear. The other covers in the picture are stock.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 88ssBrent; 03/26/22 02:16 AM.
OP Online Content
Tried finding a proper belt for the serpentine today, rock auto says a 90 camaro uses a k060945/ 94.50" , GMPP says their serpentine setup uses a 97.25" length. Dirty dingo says use 1"shorter than stock which makes no sense so I did some rough measuring and decide to try a gates micro v k060975/97.54". I feel it's a little short as you can see on the belt tensioner mark so I'm going to try a k060980/ 98.07" to see how that fits. Also one thing I've not mentioned is the compressor I wanted only came with 8 rib pulley, you can find 6 rib pulleys to fit but that's another $200 and I would have had to make other brackets. Dirty dingo has the bracket setup where it rides in the center. It doesn't bother me but I figured I would mention it.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Help MonteCarloSS.com

Recent Contributors
86BlackSuperSport
Authorized Vendors
Tell them you saw it
on MonteCarloSS.com!

Dixie Monte Carlo Depot
Mikes Montes