CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1072561 - 11/24/21 04:06 PM Door Edge Glass Trim Installation Question  
TonyD Offline
TonyD  Offline

Phoenix AZ
Not sure how to describe it. 85 Monte SS, at the rear edge of the door opening, there is a piece of blacked out metal trim. Years ago my car was stolen and this piece of trim was destroyed, probably trying to pry out the door glass.

At the time I bought a replacement but never installed it. It looks like it attaches to the quarter panel behind the door edge weatherstrip (it has the remains of double sided tape on the backside) and a screw at the bottom inside the door jamb. But there are two oval holes in it along the edge (for attaching screws?).

I can't find anything in the shop manual. My question is - do I need to remove the weatherstrip to install this trim? I could post a couple pics if someone can tell me how!

#1072563 - 11/24/21 10:55 PM Re: Door Edge Glass Trim Installation Question [Re: TonyD]  
69hurstolds Offline
69hurstolds  Offline

Aiken, SC
Sounds like the B pillar trim. I'm assuming no T-top?

20736832 is the part number I'm guessing?

Yes, you will need to remove the B-pillar portion of the weatherstrip, the vertical piece in back. Then you can get to the screws to remove the rear vertical weatherstrip retainer. Once that's out of the way, you can get the old trim piece out by removing those screws. IIRC, there's three, but if you have a T-top I believe there's one way at the top as well. Might have to dig a little to get that one out. It's been about 200 years I've done one, so my memory may be a bit out to lunch.

Then just install your new trim piece and reverse the order above. There's a foam rubber strip pad behind the new piece if it's NOS GM (I don't know what aftermarkets have). No need to glue it in place. The screws hold it in place. Just be real careful with the weatherstripping. And make sure to seal up anywhere water can have a chance to get in like dabbing the ends of the weatherstrip retainer screws in sealer or something when installing them. You'll see once you get into it.

#1072565 - 11/25/21 03:25 AM Re: Door Edge Glass Trim Installation Question [Re: TonyD]  
mmc427ss Offline
20+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
20+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
I changed that piece of trim on the driver's B pillar about two years ago when I replaced the door and roof seals on a non-T top car. The roof seal that runs down the B pillar will need to be removed. That seal is glued into that B pillar trim piece, most likely seal will be junk from trying to remove it.
There are 3 screws under the seal and at the bottom of that trim is a 4th screw. The trim is also sealed to the body with a butyl type sealant. I used an RTV to replace the butyl.

The reason i replaced that piece of trim on the B pillar was when my SS was built going down the production line someone installed a chrome moulding instead of black. I never took notice for the first 10 years I owned the car, it wasn't until an SS friends called my attention to it. He parted out his 85 SS rust bucket, and sent me the black moulding. It sat stored away for near 20 years until I was forced to do an R&R on the door/roof seals. So for over 30 years my SS had a chrome instead of black moulding, he was the only one that ever caught that mistake.
Bob

Last edited by mmc427ss; 11/25/21 03:27 AM.
#1072567 - 11/25/21 12:40 PM Re: Door Edge Glass Trim Installation Question [Re: TonyD]  
TonyD Offline
TonyD  Offline

Phoenix AZ
Yes, B-pillar trim and non T-top car. Thanks for the responses! I couldn't find a PN on the part I have but as I stated above it has the remains of foam tape on it (I bought it in 1992).

The original weatherstripping is still on the car and except for a couple of cracks and tears, its still in pretty good shape. I haven't used the car much since parking after it was stolen and recovered (has 85K miles), so maybe I'll try and just peel back that portion of it with a putty knife or something.

Thanks again!

#1072568 - 11/25/21 07:15 PM Re: Door Edge Glass Trim Installation Question [Re: TonyD]  
mmc427ss Offline
20+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
20+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
Here's an old post from that covers the weatherstriping issues with our cars.
http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1060549&page=1

Starting on page 4 is my 2019 R&R of the door seals, motors, hinges and related door issues which is pretty elaborate.
Bob

Last edited by mmc427ss; 11/25/21 07:17 PM.
#1072569 - 11/25/21 11:45 PM Re: Door Edge Glass Trim Installation Question [Re: TonyD]  
69hurstolds Offline
69hurstolds  Offline

Aiken, SC
IIRC, the butyl was used in the notch where the rear vertical w/s channel met with the upper w/s channel. The pads on the back of the w/s retainers and trim piece were not supposed to be glued to the car. I'm recalling this on a Cutlass 2 door HT, but I suppose it would be similar to Monte.

Got to be real careful with the GM w/s that's on the car. They were SUPPOSED to just use a squiggle of adhesive, 3M black w/s adhesive, to attach the w/s to the channel. But sometimes they got a bit happy with that stuff. I can tell you from experience you will have the time of your life getting that old crap out of the retainers. But in reality, you do not have to get it squeaky clean, but get as much out as you can. Just get most of it out and smooth as you can. You just don't want it trying to push out the new w/s out of place. And go sparingly on the adhesive. A little goes a long way.

My advice is to go slow and easy by taking the push pins out of the vertical end of the w/s, and then working your way up the channel, a bit at a time. Use a tongue depressor or plastic thin scraper tool to work the w/s out of the channel without tearing if possible up to the point you can get the rear vertical channel off. This will be a challenge to be sure. Don't get in a hurry. Sometimes you just can't help it and the old OEM stuff gets torn. If you can't get a new OEM w/s somewhere, I'm not the guy to ask what the best aftermarket w/s is, because I've never used it. I've always used GM stuff.

#1072573 - 11/26/21 05:27 PM Re: Door Edge Glass Trim Installation Question [Re: TonyD]  
TonyD Offline
TonyD  Offline

Phoenix AZ
Bob - just read your weatherstrip post; wow! I'm lucky so far that my rubber is still in good shape and my window motors still work.

Years ago I bought a set of SoftSeal door and roof rail but never took them out of the package so don't know if they're any good.

Having said that, I did replace the door and roof rubber on my 87 El Camino 8 years ago with, I think, SoftSeal and didn't have any real problems. The door seal ends were not like the originals but do work. Maybe I got lucky.

Random Images
500/thumbs/rear-side1.jpg
by Carl
500/thumbs/monte_21.JPG
by lnknprrul
500/thumbs/monte15.jpg
by Spider_carb
1084/thumbs/imagejpeg_8_5.jpg
by 87SSon6s
500/thumbs/87_mc_ss_2.JPG
by oldcardoc
Help MonteCarloSS.com