MonteCarloSS.com
MonteCarloSS.com

CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1072547 - 11/22/21 01:49 AM 5 G bodies raced at Scottsdale Duel in the Desert  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
First time since CAM East in 2015 that I've seen that many competitive G Bodies at an event and it was awesome. And at one point during Friday we were all so close you could throw a blanket over us.

First pics of each car and a little bit about each one, then how they did on the track.

James Wolter's Cutlass that I race against regularly and have helped setup. It's got Ridetech coilovers, ATS spindles and some UMI stuff under it, powered by a small block Olds and a T56. There's an LS been worked on to replace the small block, then look for James to turn it up.

[Linked Image]

Mat Leon's 78 Monte that I also race against a lot locally. It's powered by a stout 400 SBC, T56 and the suspension is a bunch of homebuilt stuff that mimics my setup and just works. Mat drives the wheels off this car and always has a shot at a win locally.

[Linked Image]

Angela Payne's aerocoupe. This was the first time I've seen the car in person and met Angela. I've watched her from afar for a while and she wheels the heck out of it and it's very well set up. I know it's got some Ridetech stuff under it, some fat tires, and a stout LS3 under the hood.

[Linked Image]

Frankie's full blown race Regal... I've seen this car on YouTube a bunch recently and was stoked to get to check it out in person. This car is basically a tube frame race car, blown LS and all the race tricks up it's sleeve. It was fun to watch it wheel and I learned a bit from racing with Frankie for sure.

[Linked Image]

And this beater that you all know pretty well...

[Linked Image]

Frankie, Angela and myself made the top 35 which raced for a shot at the 32 car shootout. James had times in the 33s if I remember correctly and Mat was just outside the top 35 in 36th I believe. He, Mike Hitt, and a few other friends were within 10ths of a second of making their way into the top 32 both days but came up just a bit short. Several other friends raced their way into the shootout and did the local guys in homebuilt cars proud against a bunch of shop built, factory backed, race team cars for sure. It's crazy how close all of our times were. High 28s to high 30s is all that separated 1st from 32nd.

Frankie bested us most of the day but not by a ton. We noticed that his car sounded strange most of the day, like it was running on 6 cylinders or something but he was fast and mid pack for sure. Later on Saturday he made a couple of runs where the car sounded great...but it was all over the place...and we figured it out. He runs a Motec engine control system and was using it's traction control feature to cut power when the rear tires spun. The few runs without it were the ones where he was closer to my times. Here were Frankie's times for the weekend. His fast time was about a half second faster than mine qualifying him 21st out of 32 in the shootout. He lost in the first round to Chris Smith in his 70 Camaro.

[Linked Image]

Here were my times for the weekend. It took us about a half day to find the fast way around the track then it was just a matter of putting the perfect lap down. My 30.701 +1 was about all I could wrangle out of the car. The 30.8xxs were pretty good laps as well, but I was still on the limiter quite a bit spinning the rears on the straights. The video I'll post below was my 30.841 that was my best of the weekend which qualified me 30th. I lost in the first round to Robby Unser (yes,, THAT Robby Unser). Not my first time loosing to Robby, I drew him at my first Cam Invitational in Lincoln, NE back in 2014 as well.

[Linked Image]

Angela was just behind me in the low 31s once she got the hang of the somewhat unusual GGs course. She barely missed making the top 32 and wheeled that thing hard all weekend long.

[Linked Image]

I don't have screen shots of Mat's and James's times but they were right there as well. I know Mat was ahead of Angela most of Friday and got into the low 31s Saturday.

Here's a taste of the course from my driver's seat. Bit different as 2 less 180s and 2 more long sweepers and also shorter as in the low 30 second range vs a typical 45 second course.

https://youtu.be/NOLdKe5TFGI

Overall, I had a great time...I love this event. I saw so many old racing friends and met many new friends as well. It was fun to get to measure up against other competitive G bodies and learn some things along the way. Now to rest up and get back to local SCCA racing in a couple more weeks... Hope you all enjoy the update...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Lance
1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car
#1072548 - 11/22/21 06:51 AM Re: 5 G bodies raced at Scottsdale Duel in the Desert [Re: SSLance]  
mmc427ss Offline
20+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
20+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
Nice sweatshirt for those cold Phoenix nights ahead.

All in all a good weekend with some very competitive cars. Making the shootout is a win, drawing Unser, sorry about that, but loosing to Unser not something to hang you head for.
Did you actually get 15 runs for the weekend? Soon time for tires again.
Tried all day to get good results from the event but only partial results. Hard to follow the process of getting to the shootout. Maybe later they will show everything.

It appears rear tires are way past fat, now huge, 315, and bigger on some cars.

Good to see Gs represent well there. And with Good Guys autox domestics make up almost the entire field.

Also saw Sean had a good weekend, saw him fall off a ladder in the results. But it saying something that he also got on the ladder. Congrats to both of you!!!
Bob

#1072549 - 11/22/21 01:10 PM Re: 5 G bodies raced at Scottsdale Duel in the Desert [Re: SSLance]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
Thanks Bob, it was an awesome weekend and is my favorite event of the tear to drive in.

My friend Bruce won the All American Shootout on Sunday with this run.

https://youtu.be/pJ1gjXeybMk

Lance
#1072550 - 11/22/21 01:12 PM Re: 5 G bodies raced at Scottsdale Duel in the Desert [Re: SSLance]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
Oh yeah, the brand new Nankangs aren't so new anymore... laugh

Lance
#1072551 - 11/22/21 06:59 PM Re: 5 G bodies raced at Scottsdale Duel in the Desert [Re: SSLance]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
at 15:28 you'll see and hear Frankie's shootout run. My run is at about 17:00

https://fb.watch/9rEvk_JN-o/

Lance
#1072562 - 11/24/21 09:31 PM Re: 5 G bodies raced at Scottsdale Duel in the Desert [Re: SSLance]  
88ssBrent Offline
88ssBrent  Offline

Friendsville
Looks like a great time Lance, you and the regal are definitely flatter around the corners. Interesting to me that he is running a traction control system.

Random Images
500/thumbs/rear-side1.jpg
by Carl
500/thumbs/monte_21.JPG
by lnknprrul
500/thumbs/monte15.jpg
by Spider_carb
1084/thumbs/imagejpeg_8_5.jpg
by 87SSon6s
500/thumbs/87_mc_ss_2.JPG
by oldcardoc
Help MonteCarloSS.com