CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1072319 - 10/27/21 05:37 PM 1986 monte vortec 350 swap serpentine  
markaria Offline
markaria  Offline

Temperance MI
Hello new to joining the site but been reading posts here for a long time... Anyways I always had a soft spot for these cars and I bought a 1986 Monte Carlo frankenstein project car about 5 years ago that was and still is in need of lots of love. It was originally a v6 car, previous owner(s) put in a late 70s Chevy truck 350 and WC t5 from late 80s v8 f-body and a one wheel peel 3.73 rear. Engine runs "well" but leaks oil and is tired and most definitely a 70's low compression "dog" of sorts. I was tossing the idea around of rebuilding it with different heads/cam etc but then ran across a good deal on a 97 vortec 350 engine (880 block/one piece rear main seal/roller) from a truck with rusted frame and I'm quite familiar with the L31 engine as i daily a 96 tahoe and they really do make good power compared to the older truck motors. After disassembly of the vortec engine I found it to be not only in good condition but also was previously and recently rebuilt, 4 bolt main etc. I also purchased some remanned vortec 062 heads and I installed new beehive springs/retainers for better lift capability and came into a good deal on a lt4 hotcam...so I installed that with new cloyes timing set, edelbrock 7116 intake, .015 head gaskets etc... basically a nice hydraulic roller cam vortec build up. Not building a race car, just a cruiser with some extra fun under the hood. After all the dissassembly/inspection/new gaskets/ paint and reassembly of the L31 im getting ready to pull the old 350 and replace with the L31 and i seem to remember reading someone had issues with the oem 96+ vortec serpentine setup touching the ps box... tried to do a search but never quite found a definitive answer as most posts talk about 88-95 truck serpentine setups or fbod/b body set ups or aftermarket etc.
So my question is this: Does or has anyone here ran the 96+ vortec 5.7 truck serpentine setup without issue in a Monte/gbody? If there were issues what were they? Not too worried on height as I have a cowl hood already. This is the oem serpentine set up that places the alternator on passenger side and ac on drivers side. Id much rather use this setup than the v belt setup on the old 350 currently in car. Thanks for any and all responses.

#1072322 - 10/27/21 10:13 PM Re: 1986 monte vortec 350 swap serpentine [Re: markaria]  
markaria Offline
markaria  Offline

Temperance MI
After looking through multiple posts 2 years at a time lol... I found a link to another post by speedy84ss....
Looks like itll work woohoo...

#1072326 - 10/28/21 01:25 AM Re: 1986 monte vortec 350 swap serpentine [Re: markaria]  
86ttop Online grandpa
20+ Year
86ttop  Online Grandpa
20+ Year

Brooksville, Fl
Welcome to the site and good luck with your car!!

Leo Paugh
It's not an attitude, it's just the way I am.
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
If things improve with age, I must be approaching magnificent. thumbs
#1072331 - 10/28/21 11:42 AM Re: 1986 monte vortec 350 swap serpentine [Re: 86ttop]  
markaria Offline
markaria  Offline

Temperance MI
Thanks! My original plan was to put a healthy big block in it...started collecting parts etc... then realized the car needs so much (floor pans/interior work/ etc that in all reality I'd be needing different transmission/rear end/suspension etc and the budget doesnt make sense... I know the t5 and the 7.5 in it now will be questionable enough with a mild 350 build but hopefully last a while as a cruiser. I have way too many project cars/bikes and it's difficult to come up with the funds for all of them even though I'm doing all my own work. Once I figure out what I need to do to post some pics I'll try to post some of the progress here.

#1072336 - 10/28/21 06:51 PM Re: 1986 monte vortec 350 swap serpentine [Re: markaria]  
kevins88ss Offline
10+ Year
kevins88ss  Offline
10+ Year

Southern Maine
I have a 350 w/062 heads and a serp belt setup. No issues with clearance.

[Linked Image]

#1072337 - 10/28/21 06:55 PM Re: 1986 monte vortec 350 swap serpentine [Re: markaria]  
kevins88ss Offline
10+ Year
kevins88ss  Offline
10+ Year

Southern Maine
My input on serpentine setups based on my experience. Give or take depending on what you want to do or use (new vs used) etc.

Here's my input on a previous post regarding serp setups.

For COMPLETE serp setup you need the items below. It's closer to the complete list than what's sold on ebay and in the forums. Nickel and diming is easier to sell than the whole package. I've got 99% of a serp setup but don't know if I want to take out the stock A/C and chase refilling the new one. It costs real money to evacuate and convert to the new stuff - especially if you encounter leaks.
List of stuff:
- (2) aluminum accessory brackets (left and right) generally off from an F-body
- bolts for accessories and brackets (about $30 for the assortment - I chose all allen type bolts so it was more - bonus if you get support bars too)
- waterpump pulley
- reverse rotation waterpump with 3/4 heater connector on top (I paid $35 for a new F-body waterpump and connector at Advance Auto)
- tensioner with pulley (could need replacing - you won't know until it runs - they're about $25 or so for just the pulley or about $60 for a new assembly)
- crank pulley
- alternator AND CS to SI conversion connector (GM part is about $35 or so I've heard - you can try making one for less which is what I did)
- A/C compressor with conversion connector (GM carries new to old connectors but I haven't bought one yet)
- F-body hard line AND soft line (new o-rings are recommended)
- F-body condenser
- F-body dryer (a new one is recommended when converting - G-body will work but F-body fits really close with the other F-body lines and condenser it's about $60 plus the ride)
- power steering pump with hoses AND adapter to go from new to old compression fittings
- reverse rotation thermal fan clutch (about $50 - or install electric which is about $200)
- reverse rotation fan (about $40 - or install electric which is about $200)
- Serpentine belt (mine was $35 from PepBoys)

So let's recap my experience:
$150 - typical setup w/accessories (no A/C compressor)
$70 - used F-body condenser and hard line
$70 - used F-body A/C compressor and soft line
$35 - new F-body reverse rotation waterpump with heater connector
$60 - new F-body A/C dryer
$90 - new reverse rotation thermal fan clutch and fan
$35 - new serpentine belt
$25 - F-body tensioner pulley
$10 - powersteering adapter compression fitting (this is a guess as I haven't bought it yet)
$15 - CS - SI conversion plug for alternator (I bought a cheap adapter and installed my own 511ohm resistor)
$75 - evacuate old refrigerant and charge with new (could be more)

$635.00 for the parts - more if you have someone else install it

#1072340 - 10/28/21 10:10 PM Re: 1986 monte vortec 350 swap serpentine [Re: markaria]  
markaria Offline
markaria  Offline

Temperance MI
thanks for that! Thats a lot of typing! I have the entire engine/serpentine setup which is all from the 1997 vortec L31 truck(not just vortec heads) which places the alternator on the passenger side and ac compressor on drivers side over the power steering pump and of course i also have all pulleys/tensioner reverse rotation water pump etc from same truck. I had originally thought i may be in trouble as i remember reading a post (not even sure on what forum) about someone having issues with the vortec serpentine setup with the power steering pulley touching top of steering box...but it sounded like there may have been other issues with that persons engine mounts or something. Yes...Trying to piece together all the parts becomes pretty pricey quickly if having to buy seperately... kind of why i was worried and hoping what I have will work. Thanks for your reply.

#1072345 - 10/29/21 05:38 PM Re: 1986 monte vortec 350 swap serpentine [Re: markaria]  
markaria Offline
markaria  Offline

Temperance MI
I am currently unhooking everything/draining fluids etc and getting ready to pull the old 350 now... just trying to decide if id be better off pulling it with the t5 and everything attached or unbolting the trans from bellhousing and leaving the trans in car... from past experiences ive found its easier to mate trans/engine out of car...though the angles and height or lack thereof can get goofy when attempting to reinstall by oneself....hmmm decisions decisions. haha

#1072349 - 10/30/21 01:12 AM Re: 1986 monte vortec 350 swap serpentine [Re: markaria]  
86ttop Online grandpa
20+ Year
86ttop  Online Grandpa
20+ Year

Brooksville, Fl
Pull the trans out of the car and set it aside for now, good luck!

Leo Paugh
It's not an attitude, it's just the way I am.
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
If things improve with age, I must be approaching magnificent. thumbs
#1072351 - 10/30/21 12:41 PM Re: 1986 monte vortec 350 swap serpentine [Re: markaria]  
88ssBrent Online content
88ssBrent  Online Content

Friendsville
I feel like it would be more of a hassle trying to pull it as one, maybe because its fresh on my mind and the tkx 5 speed might be a little smaller but it wasn't too difficult pulling the trans it in and out.

Last edited by 88ssBrent; 10/30/21 12:43 PM.
#1072665 - 12/06/21 12:30 AM Re: 1986 monte vortec 350 swap serpentine [Re: markaria]  
markaria Offline
markaria  Offline

Temperance MI
So I have the engine pulled and left the transmission in place...nice to pull an engine with lots of room to spare unlike newer cars...however now as I am cleaning up the engine bay, I noticed something strange... (as an aside this car was originally equipped with a 4.3 which a previous owner swapped for a 70's truck 350 and a wc T5 from a late 80s camaro with hydraulic slave/bell housing etc)...but the motor mounts or should I say frame mounts are not in the correct sbc position where the one bolt hole should overhang the cross member. They are back one set of holes so completely on the cross member. The car ran and drove fine the way it is so I'd assume someone did this due to possibly driveshaft length issues or something and of course the heater box is hacked/broken due to engine being bit too close to firewall (I'm guessing here as I dont know previous owner who swapped it) I can obviously reposition mounts to where they should be but that would mean getting another driveshaft and possibly having to alter exhaust length and modify the dual hump transmission cross member that's already in the car...and elongate the hole in floor pan to realign where shifter will end up .......or I can leave mounts where they are to install my fresh L31 sbc and delete the hacked heater box with a block off plate and perhaps do one of the universal style small auxiliary heater boxes etc...I guess its decision time...its never easy haha.

#1072671 - 12/06/21 05:07 PM Re: 1986 monte vortec 350 swap serpentine [Re: markaria]  
Hunter79764 Offline
10+ Year
Hunter79764  Offline
10+ Year

Grand Prairie, Tx
I had a 4.3 as well, and on my LS swap I chose to leave the frame mounts in place and use the "forward mount" adapter plate geometry instead of moving the frame side mounts (partially to hopefully allow a low mount AC compressor in the future, but I think I've determined to go aftermarket high mount instead). I don't think there's any drawback to it, just a little quirk when doing something non-typical. And in my view, having something non-typical is better than doing a bunch of work and buying new parts just to look more like the other guys, as long as there isn't a valid reason that it is wrong vs right.

As for the heater box, I'd look and see if you can modify or get different valve covers to gain the clearance. Or if you really mean "AC box" and you don't need AC, try to find a heat only panel that has much more room. Another option is to fiberglass in a notch as needed in a factory HVAC box. This is a common foul point on LS swaps because the block is shorter back there, and the coil packs mount on top of the valve covers. You have a unique situation of having interference on an SBC, but the problem is common with others and can share a common solution...

And I take it that your accessories clear even being ~1" farther back? Power Steering pump/pulley hitting the steering box would be the closest contact point, I would guess? Again, similar issue with LS swaps, and usually a smaller PS pulley does the trick.

If it was easy, it wouldn't be hot rodding smile

Shawn

'85 MC with budget 5.3L swap, TH350 with stock 2.14 rear end
It ain't much off the line, but it's nice on the highway
#1072682 - 12/07/21 01:09 AM Re: 1986 monte vortec 350 swap serpentine [Re: Hunter79764]  
markaria Offline
markaria  Offline

Temperance MI
I'm no newbie to hot rodding lol...been thinking of leaving it as is...better weight distribution with the v8 engine back an inch haha

Random Images
1113/thumbs/BadAssFender1.jpg
by Z65_Paul
500/thumbs/Monte_029.jpg
by kpetry
500/thumbs/IMGA0006.jpg
by CT88
500/thumbs/100_3152_compressed.jpg
by BigBlocksOnly
500/thumbs/05-31-2010_1987_MCSS_AC_Weld_Wheels_040.jpg
by BlueStreak In Spring
Help MonteCarloSS.com