CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1072263 - 10/15/21 10:52 PM Delco Freedom II battery topper  
Ghost Car Offline
Ghost Car  Offline

Houston, TX
The 1980s Corvette and Camaro parts suppliers started producing Delco Freedom II battery toppers. I distinctly remember this battery when my Dad purchased our 84 MCSS. He pointed out that it was maintenance free and told me about radial tires look flat compared to bias ply and must rely on the air pressure gage. I remember the battery was translucent white with a blue top and "green eye".

I recently purchased a Delco Freedom II topper when my battery died. Searching all the auto part stores, a Die Hard 78 series fit it best. I painted the battery body white with some white vinyl paint and left the top black. I secured the top with some double sided outdoor 3M tape. Can't post pics at this time.

In my research on a Camaro forum, they concluded that the Delco batteries switch from white/blue to all black in 1985. There was some debate if late 84 models had the black battery. There are suppliers who sell a later black Delco Freedom II topper.

Also about five years ago, I replaced my AC Delco replacement positive battery cable with a 1970 Monte Carlo cable from a restoration supplier. This replacement had the correct red side terminal. Based on my factory original cable, I cut and soldered the cable. From the factory, there was a red protective cover on the back of the alternator. Mine got lost during the engine rebuild in the 1990s. I found a correct a red replacement for a 1st Gen Camaro. So, if you are chasing restoration perfection, look at other late 60s to 80s GM parts suppliers.

#1072268 - 10/16/21 01:01 PM Re: Delco Freedom II battery topper [Re: Ghost Car]  
69hurstolds Offline
69hurstolds  Offline

Aiken, SC
It's always good to search other applications for a part GM used on it but never made public. Knowing what cross-references can help you find hard to find parts on other obscure vehicles that nobody cares to pick on at the junkyards. But that is the hard part, knowing which part cross-referenced.

The alternator caps are black and red. They used the same part numbers from the 70s into the 80s. Most of the early 80s used red, and then they went back to black at some point. Although I have learned that it's a crapshoot on which color you got.

You have to be careful with some of the cables as well. Many G-bodies used red-headed ends on the black positive cables, but the cables were smaller in diameter in comparison to some of the older fare. They could pass for a vacuum hose they're so small. I've seen where someone had some custom cables made, but they used contemporary "fat" cables instead of the thin ones and still made the positive cable red. Fatter is normally better when it comes to fuel lines and battery cables, but they still looked a bit off. Of course, if your cables are mangled, nice looking ones can compliment any engine bay. It just depends how "factory" you want your car to look.

Going all black for 1985 batteries isn't exactly accurate. Maybe it was for some Camaros, but for most G-bodies, the tops were black, but the case was still white. I kept my original 1985 HD battery with a black top/white case. But I was under the impression there were white case Freedoms used in 85 Camaros as well as I'd seen a picture of an original 85 Iroc battery. Problem with knowing which battery your car had is tough as most people replaced their batteries and traded in their old ones and don't recall which battery came original to their car.

A guy on many of the forums with user ID of Burd sells toppers. The black ones are simply the blue ones he had made but they're painted black. Very nice reproductions, though.

Burd finally came out with some 85-style battery toppers in black. I had been after him to make some for quite some time. He did so right after I took matters into my own hands and made my own. I took a Freedom II black topper he sold me, and pulled the decals off and I made my own.

My prototype below:

[Linked Image]

And an original 1985 Iroc battery. You can see, they had a white case. (courtesy of thirdgen.org)

[Linked Image]

#1072270 - 10/16/21 11:02 PM Re: Delco Freedom II battery topper [Re: Ghost Car]  
Ghost Car Offline
Ghost Car  Offline

Houston, TX
Agree on the white with black top for 85. My memory was off from six months ago. I would add that for 1984 another difference is the battery was a 74-60 for both SS and LS based on the owner's manual.

I didn't know about different positive battery cable thickness. I must have got lucky on using a 1970 cable, which was a reproduction part. My original is the same thickness. The AC Delco replacement cable is significantly larger, about 3/8 in. The 1970 cable had a different stamping than the 1984 factory "12028851 KHP." It minor difference that I must live with a 80s Chevy.

I have never found an 80s MCSS in a junkyard, but have been lucky in getting nuts, bolts, screws, spark plug holders and other common items from 80s GM cars. Those small items sometimes get lost during an engine rebuilt or normal repairs and makes the car look better than the "hardware store" nuts and bolts used in a pinch. Even scored some "Guide" low beam headlights.

Random Images
500/thumbs/new_rims1.JPG
by 88ss87ss
500/thumbs/sp08.jpg
by RocknSS
500/thumbs/7.jpg
by Phifdawg
500/thumbs/MY_BABY_87_SS_013.jpg
by badazzss
1164/thumbs/IMGP6646small.jpg
by Witman69
Help MonteCarloSS.com