MonteCarloSS.com
MonteCarloSS.com

CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1072048 - 09/17/21 10:29 PM Aero or Bassett wheels?  
upflying Offline
20+ Year
upflying  Offline
20+ Year

Reno, NV
My current tires on stock wheels are now 15 years old, ozone cracked and hard as a rock.
I'm giving some thought about going to a NASCAR look for my MCSS. Bassett and Aero make wheels in a 15x8 size with a 5 on 4.75 bolt pattern with a 4" backspace. Am I missing something about size, fit and street legal? It seems as if Aero isn't DOT street legal but the "off road only" stamp just means the wheel is lighter and thinner to save weight. If it holds up in racing, it should work on the street, right? Who would know I'm not running legal wheels?
I'm looking at one of the few raised white letter tires that are left in a 15' size, maybe 245/60/15? Anyone see a problem with this size with rubbing?

86 MCSS Notchback coupe, LS3, 4L65E, QP 9", Eaton Truetrac, 4 wheel disc, column shift, Dakota Digital, silver with maroon bench interior

#1072072 - 09/21/21 12:23 PM Re: Aero or Bassett wheels? [Re: upflying]  
BadSS Offline
20+ Year
BadSS  Offline
20+ Year

Pearl, MS, 39208
They probably either didn't go through the process to get the DOT stamp, or they didn't pass the requirements. If they didn't pass the requirements, I sure wouldn't run them with the way the streets are around here (more dangerous than the track!). The other reason could be from a liability stand point. If you were to have an accident and they found that the wheels weren't DOT legal in the accident investigation, if they were the cause of the accident, then it could be a problem no one needs.

Just a suggestion, there are rubber decals available for some tires and you could run any tire you want and paint the letters yourself. I actually painted the letters on a set of tires back in the 80s with good results. It's a little labor intense, bit pre-paint preparation is the key. As long as the lettering is ultra clean the paint will hold (thinner the better for full coverage) they'll look good and hold up well. I sprayed brake cleaner on a rag wrapped around my finger and wiped down each letter until nothing came off on the rag. I've seen some terrible result though and I can just about guarantee the lettering wasn't clean enough.

Original owner of 1985 SS black hardtop w/gray interior. Frame-on restoration in progress. 406 sleeper w/ heavily ported FIRST TPI. 1.875" headers and dual 3.5" Borla exhaust. TH400, Ford 9", anti-roll bar, and notched frame. Dropped 2", 18" wheels, and F/R disk brakes. 10-point cage w/swing-out bars, custom gauges, and audiophile stereo system.

Random Images
1025/thumbs/2011-07-17_18-59-41_848.jpg
by Martinez
961/thumbs/shifter_boot.jpg
by jrz126
681/thumbs/speedo.jpg
by TPI Monte SS
500/thumbs/DSCF0022.JPG
by Gruvin
527/thumbs/88SS_355TPI_1.jpg
by TPI Monte SS
Help MonteCarloSS.com