MonteCarloSS.com
MonteCarloSS.com

CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1071807 - 08/25/21 07:24 PM Rearend Planning!  
88ssBrent Online content
88ssBrent  Online Content

Friendsville
Next phase of my build http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1069059&page=1 is going to be a rear end eventually on my way to a bigger engine. This is very early in the planning phase it will probably be January or February before I could even think about starting to purchase.

So, what's everyone's opinion on the different rearends? Im staying with a sbc, I think a good number for added protection would be able to at least handle around 600 h.p./ ft. Lbs but not really sure on that, just a guess. Once again early in the planning. I might take this car to auto x or drag strip no more than probably once a year and don't foresee any slicks, just a street car.

Pretty much 8.5s are hard to come by, then you have the s60 from strange, the moser 12 bolt, Ford 9", and I've read of some doing a 8.8 which is more involved but I would feel comfortable with the fab part if that is the end choice. You also have different vendors, I think i read in Lance's build thread that he used quick performance but had some seal issues at one time.

What is everyone's experience with different rearends and vendors? If you had it all over to do again which route would you go?

#1071808 - 08/25/21 07:38 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
Fred SS Offline
10+ Year
Fred SS  Offline
10+ Year

Glassboro, NJ
I will be watching this thread. I am hoping to do a rear end swap this winter, along with other work. Currently, I am leaning towards the Moser 12 Bolt.

87 SS, Harwood cowl induction hood, UMI trailing arms. Hooker 2050 Headers (Jet Hot Coated). Hooker Cat-Back Exhaust, Goodwrench 350, Ported TPI, Trick Flow 56cc alum heads, SLP runners, Comp Cams 260AH-12 cam, Trick Flow 1.5 roller rockers, TCI 2400 stall converter, Denny's 3.5" Driveshaft, GBodyParts GNX Replica Wheels 18x8 & 18x9.
#1071811 - 08/25/21 11:20 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
Just to keep it as an option this is what Gordon (AkronAero) said in my build thread as far as what he went with.

"I'm running a 383 with AFRs and getting 535 HP / 490 FtLb at the flex plate and have a significantly upgraded 200-4R (Janis Transmission).
I discussed rear options for a one time upgrade with Henderson Driveline & Axle - like Janis they are very much used by serious/pros.
He put in a 3" DOM drive shaft w/ 1350 & 3R non-greaseable Spicer U-joints. They talked me down from 3.5" or aluminum.
I asked about 12 bolt or 9" but they strongly advised sticking with the 10 bolt case for cost and time.
Nice because they got parts in advance and I was able to drive in for the day and wait.
Put in a 3.73:1 Eaton - Detroit Truetrac and Moser 28 spline axles. New bearings and seals too.
Unless I am running super stickies on the track regularly, they say this is more than enough.
I'm not used to folks talking me out of spending money - So many good ideas on this site...?"

#1071812 - 08/26/21 12:56 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
AkronAero Online content
10+ Year
AkronAero  Online Content
10+ Year

Akron OH
Brent, yes I forgot to include that I also put in a Moser rear differential cover (girdle) with main cap studs early on. (Add in a drive shaft loop). Cheap protection and easy. Glad to connect you with my driveline guy as you get closer if appropriate. He's in Cleveland OH but would answer your questions. Gave his son my stock posi to sell.....
Gordon

#1071813 - 08/26/21 01:12 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: Fred SS]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
Originally Posted by Fred SS
I will be watching this thread. I am hoping to do a rear end swap this winter, along with other work. Currently, I am leaning towards the Moser 12 Bolt.

Fred, if I may ask what has you leaning towards the moser 12 bolt versus the other options?

#1071814 - 08/26/21 03:26 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
Fred SS Offline
10+ Year
Fred SS  Offline
10+ Year

Glassboro, NJ
Brent, I too have conversed with AkronAero concerning rear ends. Real nice guy. He too told me to just rebuild my 7.5 with 28 spline axles and Detroit Truetrac. Someday I hope to do a LS3/480 swap. I want this rear end work to be final and not have to work on it again. But Gordon is running 500+ HP through his upgraded 7.5 and it is holding up. So I have not ruled out his advice.

The reason why I am leaning towards the Moser 12 Bolt is that it appears to be complete and ready to install.. No sourcing E-brake cables or brake lines Also I read somewhere on their website that the housing comes already equipped with the little tabs to hold the brake lines to the housing. A fellow member bought one sometime ago and he posted his experience. He had a shop install it. The problem he reported is that there was no where to install the brake line T-Fitting that is bolted to the 7.5 rear. So the shop made a bracket that bolted to the frame somewhere. I think that issue will happen no matter which aftermarket rear you get.

I looked at the S60 for G-Body. A decent rear end. They are a little less costly than the Moser unit. But their housing does not have the tabs to secure the brake lines. I suppose it would not be hard to make the tabs yourself and weld them on.

A Ford 9 inch is overkill for my application. But Quick Performance is a tempting option.

Fred

87 SS, Harwood cowl induction hood, UMI trailing arms. Hooker 2050 Headers (Jet Hot Coated). Hooker Cat-Back Exhaust, Goodwrench 350, Ported TPI, Trick Flow 56cc alum heads, SLP runners, Comp Cams 260AH-12 cam, Trick Flow 1.5 roller rockers, TCI 2400 stall converter, Denny's 3.5" Driveshaft, GBodyParts GNX Replica Wheels 18x8 & 18x9.
#1071815 - 08/26/21 06:05 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
BadSS Offline
20+ Year
BadSS  Offline
20+ Year

Pearl, MS, 39208
I ran 12.4s and 1.55 second 60' times on 26" ET Streets in my old IROC (355 that made 331 RWHP or around 414 FWHP) through a TH350 and 3,000 stall on the 7.5” rear with stock 3.23 gears and Auburn limited slip differential with just an aluminum support cover installed. I beat on it pretty heavy, even running a number of off idle nitrous launches putting it deep in the 11s. It sure held up a lot better than the stock rear in the SS.

I destroyed the SS’s stock 7.5” rear end not long after an engine upgrade that put me around 480 FWHP. Rebuilt it with a 3.73 Richmond Gear (best at the time – supposedly better than the stock gears), Auburn HD unit, and 28 spline axles (don’t believe a brace rear cover was available then????). That held up for a couple months until the next power upgrade which put the engine around 540HP. The pinion gear broke in it just like the stock pinion gear. At that point, after much aggravation and what I now consider a colossal waste of time and money on the 7.5”, I broke down and put the 9” in the car. I consider the move to the 9" one of the best mods I ever made - once swapped I've never had another rear end related problem.

See, it’s not the 7.5” size of the carrier gear that’s the problem; it’s the pinion gear size, especially on the 3.73s. They are just too small to handle any kind of power; especially any “shocking” load/unload abuse. Here’s a comparison picture I found that gives a visual.

[Linked Image]

This was posted in the thread that contained that picture – “The pinion gear shears teeth due to case distortion. It's more common on the smaller pinions due to the smaller contact patch, which is typically used in setups that shock the driveline violently, causing the housing to move around. I've never seen a 2.73 or 3.23 gear-set fail, and that includes a few 9 second cars with 1.4x 60' times.”

Even with his comments, if you're planning on making any kind of power and plan to abuse it in any way, especially with a manual transmission, I personally wouldn’t put any money into the 7.5" rearend with 3.73 gears. However, if someone already has a 7.5” with positive traction, adding a LPW "Ultimate" cast rear cover (Strange has them with their own part number that may be cheaper) with the support girdle is pretty good and cheap insurance.

[Linked Image]

I like these covers better than the others because you can add an axle support brace (around $125 - plus minor welding for the axle housing tabs) to add even more insurance if you wanted (link to LPW - https://www.lpwracing.com/Axle_Tube_Brace_Kit/axle_housing_brace.html)

[Linked Image]

#1071816 - 08/26/21 11:55 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
Wilson Offline
Wilson  Offline

Brighton il
I am just finished up my rear end swap. I priced out updating the 7.5, sure would have saved a ton but then if it breaks?? Then back to square 1. Tried like Hell to find an 8.5 for over a year. No dice. So over last winter I built a Strange 9" center section with a Trutrac and Strange 3.89 gears, Daytona pinion support. Then a few months ago ordered their 9" housing and 31 Spline axles. Reall nice piece. For simplicity I did the 11" drum brakes. I have only put a few miles on it so far.

1987 Monte Carlo SS. 355 SBC 2004R non lock up PTC converter
UMI front and rear control arms. Strange 9 Inch, 31 Spline Axles, 3.89 TruTrac.
#1071817 - 08/26/21 11:57 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
Wilson Offline
Wilson  Offline

Brighton il
I am just finished up my rear end swap. I priced out updating the 7.5, sure would have saved a ton but then if it breaks?? Then back to square 1. Tried like Hell to find an 8.5 for over a year. No dice. So over last winter I built a Strange 9" center section with a Trutrac and Strange 3.89 gears, Daytona pinion support. Then a few months ago ordered their 9" housing and 31 Spline axles. Reall nice piece. For simplicity I did the 11" drum brakes. I have only put a few miles on it so far.

#1071818 - 08/26/21 01:12 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: BadSS]  
Hunter79764 Offline
10+ Year
Hunter79764  Offline
10+ Year

Grand Prairie, Tx
Originally Posted by BadSS

See, it’s not the 7.5” size of the carrier gear that’s the problem; it’s the pinion gear size, especially on the 3.73s. They are just too small to handle any kind of power; especially any “shocking” load/unload abuse. Here’s a comparison picture I found that gives a visual.

[Linked Image]

This was posted in the thread that contained that picture – “The pinion gear shears teeth due to case distortion. It's more common on the smaller pinions due to the smaller contact patch, which is typically used in setups that shock the driveline violently, causing the housing to move around. I've never seen a 2.73 or 3.23 gear-set fail, and that includes a few 9 second cars with 1.4x 60' times.”

Maybe one of these days I can see how much power the 2.14 pinion can handle... Maybe I'll "upgrade" to a 2.73 since those shouldn't be easily breakable either smile

I've tentatively thought about the Explorer 8.8 as my upgrade path, mainly because I'm extremely cheap and those can be purchased with 31 spline axles, posi, and disc brakes for a couple hundred dollars, but the fabrication to put one in is quite a bit more. Southside Machine has a truss kit that seems like it has to be making some geometry compromises (I'd love to have that confirmed or denied if anyone knows), or a completely different suspension setup would be needed (I've got ideas on that but nothing that should derail this thread). There are folks running massive power through them, but I believe they are a little more efficient than a 9" or the other big dog options.

I'm really interested to see where this modification leads you, I've really enjoyed the engine and transmission journey.

Shawn

'85 MC with budget 5.3L swap, TH350 with stock 2.14 rear end
It ain't much off the line, but it's nice on the highway
#1071820 - 08/26/21 03:28 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
Travis Jones Offline
10+ Year
Travis Jones  Offline
10+ Year

Ferndale, MI
Ford 8.8 with 31 spline axles, is my recommendation. 95% of the strength of most ford 9's with significantly less weight unless you spend big bucks and get an aluminum center section on the 9in. Trac Loks are cheap and rebuildable. GM has never really built a "good" passenger car rear axle.

86 SS 6.2l LS3, Ilmor intake, Summit Stage 4 Cam, Stainless long tube headers, Stainless 3in exhaust, Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed, Eaton Truetrac 8.8 LSD, UMI Cornermax Front Suspension, 3-link Rear suspension w/ UMI Control Arms, UMI Front & Rear Braces, Brembo Brakes
#1071833 - 08/28/21 12:57 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
Just like my 305 build I have to look at what I truly want out of my car and look at what I use my car for and budget. To be honest the most I do with my car is get it out and cruise around town on weekends and go to the local Friday night cruise in. I love the ride height on my car and I love how my car sits on the 245/45/17, 17x8 n90s and can't imagine getting away from them because its exactly what I wanted out of my car. If I get on it good leaving somewhere now the tires break loose so im pretty sure hooking will not be a problem. I think we need to be realistic that there is a 99% I'll never take it to a drag strip. All the local dragstrips are 1/8 mile and nothing but trouble any more, not my scene. At the most there might be a chance of autocrossing but who knows.

Everything above is an option all the way from the built 10 bolt to the 9". Im willing to bet that there is a good chance Gordon will never have a problem with his rearend because he knows what he will use it for. Some people need a 9". Me personally I feel like a 9" would be way overkill for me but its an option.

I've not even came up with a budget yet as I'm just looking at options now and getting opinions . The things I need to think about is what brakes will I go with and will I need to be worried about contact with the frame with the brakes. More than likely I will go with drums but that could change. I want to keep my aldan coilovers, they mount on a bracket that mounts to the lower shock mount on each side so that is another thing. Im staying with the wheels i have so no lug pattern change. Not sure on width yet more than likely stick with stock width but its to early to tell.. So what are some some of the foreseeable issues and challenges with these rearends and what will I need to make them work?

I want to thank everyone for for there input so far and know that it is valued. When I searched there were tons of these threads with rearend opinions but I wanted to start a new one just to see what everyone's latest thoughts are. So the list of possibilities is:

Strange s60
Ford 9"
Ford 8.8"
Built 7.65" 10 bolt
Moser 12 bolt
8.5" 10 bolt

I guess its time to slowly start weeding them out and doing research.

#1071834 - 08/28/21 01:53 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
T5montecarlo Offline
T5montecarlo  Offline

Lederach, PA
Perhaps all you need is to do nothing with the rear axle?

#1071835 - 08/28/21 02:05 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: T5montecarlo]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
That is an option also but at the least a posi rear end. Once I go the 383, 400 route in the future I would hate to just see one tire mark.

#1071836 - 08/28/21 02:26 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
AkronAero Online content
10+ Year
10+ Year

Akron OH
Brent - I actually would have put in a Currie 9" (worked it out with Marcus/Mark Savitske at SC&C) but then realized I would also (convinced myself I would) "need" to do all new brakes (and some other changes) at that time and, well, it required too much bandwidth and more time than I have available. I agree with you that statistically speaking I will likely never have a problem, but if I do blow up the rear, well, so be it. That's just the universe telling me its time to finish it all. Unless of course MAP or others come up with an electric drive platform. Your ace in the hole is that you are more than technically competent and have the resources, plus the folks on this site with beaucoup knowledge and experience. Enjoying your threads - keep it up!

Also, per Kevin (BadSS) comments - Yes, general wisdom seems to be to change out the GM pinions (esp 3.73) for higher quality more durable brands.

Good Hunting
Gordon

#1071838 - 08/28/21 03:44 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
Fred SS Offline
10+ Year
Fred SS  Offline
10+ Year

Glassboro, NJ
Brent, I think you should cross the 8.5 off the list. They are hard to find now. I have seen some real crap 8.5's for sale on fleabay. I saw an add by someone who had an 8.5 with the upper control arm ears cut off. Had the cut ears with the rear and said they could easily be welded back on. Really???. Unless you are lucky to find one in decent shape, I would cross it off your list. If you are truly only cruising with the car, then building the 7.5 is a good option. It can probably handle some drag strip time. The S60, Ford 9" and 12 Bolt are all good rear ends. As you said, only you can decide on what you what out of the car and what you want to spent. I am in the same boat as you. Trying to make a choice. One of the previous posts about pinion diameter was interesting so I did some research in my books and on the web. I found the following results:

Pinion Stem Diameter
GM 7.5,10 Bolt: 1.438"
GM 8.5, 10 Bolt": 1.625"
GM 12 Bolt, 1.625 (8.875" Ring Gear)
Dana 60, 1.625" (9.750 Ring Gear)

I could not find info on the 9 inch. My books indicate that the S60 is more efficient than the Ford 9" and stronger. Maybe other members can comment.

Fred

Last edited by Fred SS; 08/28/21 03:48 AM.

#1071839 - 08/28/21 11:03 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
T5montecarlo Offline
T5montecarlo  Offline

Lederach, PA
Originally Posted by 88ssBrent
That is an option also but at the least a posi rear end. Once I go the 383, 400 route in the future I would hate to just see one tire mark.
I didn't know you didn't already have posi, so yes, that is a requirement...and you need to decide which axle spline to match it to (26 or 28).

#1071842 - 08/28/21 04:01 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
2 interesting videos on the 8.8 going in a g body. First video is swapping the 8.8 to s10 disc brakes and correct bolt pattern axles. Second video is the full install of the 8.8 using the trick chassis setup. Looks to be a bolt on option other than welding on spring perches.

https://youtu.be/_Jqql4zOLlE
https://youtu.be/T3rFCqWxObU

Trick Chasis setup for the 8.8. It has all kinds of options.
https://www.trickchassis.com/product/8-8-swap-kit/

Another trick chasis kit with other options.
https://www.trickchassis.com/product/8-8-swap-kit-with-1-5-8-arb/

Just throwing options out right now and digging thru info. Fred I know that a good 8.5 is pretty much a needle a haystack. I did see a guy list one on a buick Facebook page that was built last night for $2200. In minutes it had 10 people wanting it. I just put it up there as an option. At a quick glance I will say that the moser 12 bolt would be around $3200-$3600 depending on brake options.

The strange s60 around $2500 not including brakes. https://www.strangeengineering.net/...ck-35-s-t-axles-coil-spring-mounts.html/

Here is what Strange says:
Street/Track: The S60 is equipped with a Spicer Trac-loc (clutch style) posi unit, Standard gear set, 35 spline Alloy axles, 7/16" or 1/2" wheel studs, HD 1350 series yoke, u-bolt kit and a steel rear cover. The Trac-lock is designed for street use in vehicles that will not be raced. The optional Truetrack (helical gear) differential is a great choice for Street/Track applications. Gear ratio choices are 3.54, 3.73, 4.10, 4.30, 4.56, 4.88, 5.13 & 5.38. Upgrades are available to the differential and wheel studs. Options include a chrome moly 1350 series yoke, Strange aluminum black powder coated cover, LPW HD aluminum cover and satin black powder coated housing. The steel cover would also be powder coated when this option is ordered.

My first thought was trying to keep the whole project under $3000, that was before I looked at prices and I was hoping to include brakes and driveshaft in that price. I still plan to keep on with this search to come up with real cost on each rear end option.

Last edited by 88ssBrent; 08/28/21 04:17 PM.
#1071843 - 08/28/21 04:34 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: Fred SS]  
BadSS Offline
20+ Year
BadSS  Offline
20+ Year

Pearl, MS, 39208
One of the previous posts about pinion diameter was interesting so I did some research in my books and on the web. I found the following results:

Pinion Stem Diameter
GM 7.5,10 Bolt: 1.438"
GM 8.5, 10 Bolt": 1.625"
GM 12 Bolt, 1.625 (8.875" Ring Gear)
Dana 60, 1.625" (9.750 Ring Gear)
Ford 9", 1.313" (9" Ring Gear)
Ford 8.8, 1.625" (8.8" Ring Gear)

I could not find info on the 9 inch. My books indicate that the S60 is more efficient than the Ford 9" and stronger. Maybe other members can comment.

Added the info on the Ford 9" and 8.8" for comparison sake. However, it's not so much the pinion stem diameter as it is how it is supported, the size of the pinion gear head, and how much space is between the center of the head to where the teeth are cut.- that along with the thickness of the teeth. For instance, the 9" rear has the smallest stem diameter of those listed (great pinion support though), but it's probably safe to say there are many thousands of them out there handling over the 1,000HP mark without a hiccup (mine included on the spray with hundreds of track passes). That said, when I bought my 9" back in 1988, I didn't really do any comparison research and went with something that was readily available at that time and I knew would hold up (Currie bolt-in).

This link below is an awesome article with comparisons made between the Big Three (12-bolt, 9", and the S60) - including the RWHP differential (pun intended. smile ) Too bad they didn't make the comparison with a higher powered car or add a 10-bolt in the mix. I believe at that power level a built 7.5" 10-bolt would probably hold up.
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/ccrp-0806-chevy-chevelle-rear-axle-swap/

#1071844 - 08/28/21 07:36 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
BadSS Offline
20+ Year
BadSS  Offline
20+ Year

Pearl, MS, 39208
Glad you brought up in this thread that you had an end goal of a built 383/400. Determining the final power level will help determine whether or not a built 7.5” will hold or if the money would be better spent on something beefier.

To put it in perspective, if you did nothing more than swap out your 305 short block for a 10.5:1 400 and go with a little bigger but still relatively mild cam, you could make upwards of 450HP running the same modified CCC intake and carb. Tons-of-fun torque (over 480lb/ft) and assuming a decent hook it could/should run a fairly easy 12.40-ish quarter mile, which is right there with a new Camaro SS and Ford GT.

A built 7.5, especially with 3.23 gears, could hold up to that power level with an automatic and probably the manual transmission as long as you were careful on the launches and refrained from all out power shifting – especially if you’re going to stick with 245/45/17 street tires and rarely if ever run a DOT drag radial. By the way, M&H makes a 245/45/17 DOT drag radial that would fit nicely and blend right in on another set of N90s. dunno

With your fabrication skills, not having to pay for the additional work needed on them, then a Ford 8.8 looks like it might be a good cost effective option for you. From what little I’ve read here lately, it looks like most are saying the 8.8 and the 12-bolt are comparable in power limits, but I have no personal experience with either one.

The “problem” (if there is one) is, after talking with you a few times, I get the impression you may be a “fast is never fast enough” type - like most true hot-rodders. So, say you do just a 400 short-block next and want more later - if you top off the 400 short block with AFR220 heads, fairly aggressive HR cam, big dual plane with spacer, and something like a 850 annular discharge carb, you’re looking at 550-ish HP and 550-ish lb/ft torque.

If you think you’ll probably end up with a combination like that, if it were me, I would at least be looking at a S60. It or the 9” - cost would probably determine which for me. It might cost a good bit more up front, but doing it once and never having to worry about double working/double spending on a rearend would be worth it to me. I’ve been there, done that, and wouldn’t want to do it again!!

If you already had a posi in the stock rearend, then you might get away for a while (maybe longer if you’re careful) by putting on an Ultimate cover with the additional bracing. However, it’s more of a risk than just tearing it up and wasting money on it. When that last 7.5” pinion gear disengaged, I was braking in a turn-lane and just started turning into a parking lot. I was only doing about 30mph when it literally locked up the rear, bringing the car to a violent and near immediate stop. I couldn’t help but think what would have happened shifting into high gear during a race, or if it just let go on the highway during rush-hour traffic. So, whatever you go with, just make sure you build it to handle the power level.

#1071846 - 08/29/21 03:58 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
So, first up is the option of building the 10 bolt 7.625 rearend. Positives are no driveshaft shortening, no figuring out anything on brakes, up front cost the way I would do it probably the cheapest. Negative is it won't withstand the power that the others will. But once again you need to be truly honest with yourself on what you plan to do and what type of power and traction you will use. The things that sucks about rearends is there is no given number they are good for. You can't say this rearend is good for this much h.p. and this one is good for this much. So here is the options for the 10 bolt 7.625.

If I were doing a new carrier I would go with the Eaton Truetrac, you have 2 options.

26 spline eaton Truetrac $478.23
Check out this page from Summit Racing https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-911a319

28 spline Eaton Truetrac $489.50
Check out this page from Summit Racing https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-912a317

If you went the route of the 28 spline for a little extra strength you would need new axles.

Moser 28 spline c clip axles 272.50
https://www.moserengineering.com/a1...tlass-grand-prix-malibu-monte-carlo.item

If you want rebuild everything including seals, bearings, and races there are several options.

Quick Performance rebuild kit with crush sleeve is $63, kit with solid pinion spacer is $78
https://www.quickperformance.com/GM-75-7625-10-Bolt-Master-Bearing--Install-Kit_p_21517.html

Strange install kit $94
https://www.strangeengineering.net/product/10-blt-7-5-complete-installation-kit.html/

Carrier shim kit $20, if needed

Support cover with main cap jacking bolts would help strengthen it some, if I was going with this option i would use this cover

LPW ultimate support cover $169
https://www.strangeengineering.net/...te-support-cover-accepts-brace-kit.html/

If a person wanted it also accepts a brace kit like Kevin posted above.
LPW brace kit $130
https://www.strangeengineering.net/...-fits-gm-12-bolt-86-04-mustang-8-8.html/

I've not checked the housing material, im assuming cast steel. If so I would tig weld the axle tubes to the housing with 309 or nickle rod. I would need to do some more reading on that.

#1071847 - 08/29/21 06:29 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
Here is my cost estimate if I did the 10 bolt 7.5/7.625 on my car. Above are just other options for people to look at. Im not saying this is the route I would go but im going to put all options and cost on the table. While I still have my 305 I would just keep the gm 3.73:1 gear and driveshaft, if going this route i would upgrade both later on. I have 2 options.

Option 1

Eaton 26 spline Truetrac $478.23
Carrier shim kit $19.94
Carrier races and bearings $34.95
Lpw ultimate support cover $169
Fab my own brace kit materials $60
Weld axle tubes to housing
Gl-5 80w 90 gear oil $20
Main cap stud kit $30
Depending on shape of axle seals 86660s seals $14
Clean housing and paint $10
Ring gear bolts $40
While I had rearend apart I would check wear pattern and backlash to make sure everything is acceptable.
Total $876.12

Option 2
Everything same as above except
Eaton 28 spline Truetrac $489.50
Moser 28 spline axles $272.50
Total $1159.89

#1071856 - 08/30/21 01:09 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
Next option is the 9" rear end. For comparison sake I'm going to compare most of these rear ends with 11" drum brakes. Also if I order a new rearend I will get it plain with no coating so I can weld on brackets if needed or any small modifications. One thing that worries me about the the QP 9" is it seems like there is quite a bit of problems with leaking seals and bearings not seating fully, If i remember correctly Lance had some issues.

Quick Performance 78-87 complete 9" rear end. $2015.00
New stock style big web housing center piece
Drain and fill plugs with jack pad $55.00
1/4" heavy walled axle tubes $30.00
3.70 gear
31 spline eaton Truetrac $125
Yukon Pro N case, Daytona Pinion Support, Billet Yoke $350
Total $2575

Not really sure i would need the Yukon Pro N case, Daytona Pinion Support, Billet Yoke, or the 1/4/ tubes but QP says its recommended for 450-650 h.p.

Currie 9" is another option and I can say up front that it is not in my budget, has all the bells and whistles but the price on it with the Eaton truetrac, no paint, and 11" drum brakes is $4138.

Strange 9" with truetrac, 11" brakes, no paint $3286. Pretty sure I figured that correctly but the site is a little confusing.

Next , would be figuring my cost to build one. Not sure it would be any cheaper. If I did I would just buy the housing with g body mounts. I do have access the pucks, bar, and collar for most rear ends to weld ends or shorten that I can borrow. A friend bought the Mitler kit to use on a few projects. Also no matter what rearend I buy it would be easier to slide thru a little at a time instead of one big chunk if you know what I mean but the downside is me being responsible for all the setup but I believe I would be fine.

#1071857 - 08/30/21 01:31 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: Wilson]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
Originally Posted by Wilson

Wilson, if you don't mind me asking did you keep track of cost for the whole project?

#1071859 - 08/30/21 01:50 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
Travis Jones Offline
10+ Year
Travis Jones  Offline
10+ Year

Ferndale, MI
Brent, a good way to save on the center section is to find someone who has put a strange S60 or something similar into a 4th gen Camaro SS, they came with a 28 spline Torsen T-2 diff. Gear driven like the trutrac, but I got a whole discarded Camaro rear end for $80.

The 7.5 with the Torsen, a diff cover, and 28 spline axles held up just fine cruising, the occasional drag strip pass, and autocrossing.

Also the ford 8.8 is a great choice if you have a welder. Most explorer and mustang rears came with a posi, some explorers also had 4.10s.

I have a friend in 7's in the quarter mile on a 31 spline 8.8, the primary advantage of the 9 inch being able to change center sections quickly, the 8.8 is more efficient and lighter.

Last edited by Travis Jones; 08/30/21 01:52 AM.

86 SS 6.2l LS3, Ilmor intake, Summit Stage 4 Cam, Stainless long tube headers, Stainless 3in exhaust, Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed, Eaton Truetrac 8.8 LSD, UMI Cornermax Front Suspension, 3-link Rear suspension w/ UMI Control Arms, UMI Front & Rear Braces, Brembo Brakes
#1071868 - 08/30/21 02:19 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
Wilson Offline
Wilson  Offline

Brighton il
88ssBrent
I am fairly close dollar wise to what you have quoted from Strange. The Strange housing is a really nice piece really quality welds and installed liked I had hoped. I put everything together on my workbench and no whining of gearset. Pretty Stoked since this was my first set of gears that I setup. Factory sway bay will not work. Strange stuff is top quality. Looking at HR Parts n Stuff is what I am looking at now.

#1071870 - 08/30/21 03:28 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
T5montecarlo Offline
T5montecarlo  Offline

Lederach, PA
Ross, if the factory sway bar is making contact with the center housing, the sway bar can be lowered with a plate mounted to the sway bar holes in the lower control arm with 2 more holes, lower down. That is how an aftermarket sway bar, that I had on my wagon, mounted.

#1071871 - 08/30/21 05:39 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
Travis, evidently stuff is not as plentiful down here as it is in Michigan or not having enough gear heads in my circle is the problem. I comb thru marketplace, buick groups, camaro groups, and in the last week have mustang groups, ebay, Craigslist and don't come across much. If I do its gone in no time. Luckily I'm in no hurry and have plenty of time to look if that's the route I choose to go.

I'm a decent welder and have ac/dc tig, mig, and stick at home, also have access to the Mitler axle kit with the stuff to narrow most axles.

Since it seems you have the most knowledge on the 8.8 i have a few questions. Seems like the fox body 8.8 is pretty hard to find and its a 28 spline. Through my internet research g body hub to hub is 58.094, flange to flange is 57.621 per MAP measuring a 87 gn 8.5. The fox body supposedly 58.75", 94-98 has the 31 spline with larger axle tubes and width is 60.25" then 99-04 is 61.0625. I assume all of these would work using the trick chasis setup but the latter would need to be shortened and new axles along with issues as far as figuring out brakes and lug pattern.

Ive seen quite a few like this that range from $500- $700.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/01-Ford-Mu...46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0.

From what I have seen I believe I could do a nice 8.8 for $1500-$2000 using the trick chassis setup, 5-4 3/4 axles and figure out the brakes, but that just a quick estimate.

Then you have the explorer rear end,it looks like I could use this type setup for it. https://southsidemachineperformance.com/shop-1/ols/products/gbody88swap not really sure on the width but like I said earlier i want to keep my n90's.

Lots to ponder on all options.

#1071872 - 08/30/21 06:53 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
T5montecarlo Offline
T5montecarlo  Offline

Lederach, PA
The mid 70s Monte Carlos/Chevelles and the Impalas into the 80s have 8.5-inch rears and a 4-link rear suspension, but I haven't seen anyone making an adapter kit to fit the upper control arms to a 78-88 A/G body. Narrowing to the width of the stock rear would be required and then off-the-shelf axles could be used. These axles are usually cheap to buy.

#1071874 - 08/30/21 08:41 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
Hunter79764 Offline
10+ Year
Hunter79764  Offline
10+ Year

Grand Prairie, Tx
The Explorer 8.8 is not centered, with one tube nearly 3" longer than the other. If you didn't mind the 5x4.5 Ford pattern, a popular modification is to get a second stock short side axle, cut the long tube to match, and use short axles on both sides to center up the rear end housing and get it to a more reasonable length (56.5" according to the link below). I'm sure folks have drilled stock axles to the Chevy pattern, but if you get new axles it should not be hard to get them in the proper length and the proper wheel pattern, and adjust your cut accordingly. Looks like the Moser site has it for $310 +$50 or so for shipping and you name your length and bolt pattern, as well as stud preference etc. Redrilling the brake rotor is a popular option for keeping the Ford factory discs.

I have seen the Southside Machine stuff and am very interested, but I don't know enough to know what I don't know on the geometry etc for that. popcorn

https://thefabricatorseries.com/bui...lorer-88-rear-axle-part-1-prelude-and-qa

Shawn

'85 MC with budget 5.3L swap, TH350 with stock 2.14 rear end
It ain't much off the line, but it's nice on the highway
#1071875 - 08/30/21 09:23 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
A couple of nights ago I watched both episodes of the fabrication series. He also has tons of info on his page concerning the explorer 8.8. I dont quite understand the rear geometry either but while we are discussing and it being an option that im going to explore the g body strange s60 also has the mounting points raised "to deal with the instant center issue" it would be great to hear from someone with experience and what will that do for a street car and what is the instant center issue our cars have?

#1071878 - 08/30/21 10:19 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
T5montecarlo Offline
T5montecarlo  Offline

Lederach, PA
They are supposed to suffer from wheel hop. I think it was Edelbrock that made a product that bolted to the factory bushing and provided a new mount position for the upper control arm. The mounts on the 8.5 are naturally a little higher than the 7.5. The 9-inch and Dana are higher still, so they help to reduce wheel hop.

It appears that QA1 now makes them; the patent must have expired.
[Linked Image]

#1071879 - 08/30/21 11:14 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
Wilson Offline
Wilson  Offline

Brighton il
Drove mine a few hours ago. I can really tell the difference between old 7.5 and the new 9, wants to hook but leaves 2 nice black marks with no wheel hop.

#1071881 - 08/31/21 12:48 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: Wilson]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
What are you shopping for on HR Parts and stuff?

#1071882 - 08/31/21 12:56 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
Next up is the strange s60, looks like a really nice rearend.

"Dana 60 G-Body Rear End with spool & 35 pro race axles" https://www.strangeengineering.net/...ck-35-s-t-axles-coil-spring-mounts.html/

It has a lot of nice features. Just like the others im pricing it with not powder coating and 11" drum brakes.

Rearend is $2340
11" drum brakes $495
Helical gear differential upgrade $320
Total= $3155

#1071883 - 08/31/21 01:36 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
T5montecarlo Offline
T5montecarlo  Offline

Lederach, PA
No LPW cover? or chrome moly yoke?

Why do you want to increase the rear braking ability?

#1071884 - 08/31/21 01:42 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
BadSS Offline
20+ Year
BadSS  Offline
20+ Year

Pearl, MS, 39208
Yep, not a lot of hot-rodders around here swapping out stuff - as Brent said, there may be a deal or two pop up on craigs list, but not often and they go fast. Seems adding a supercharger to a newer LS is the thing to do now (actually considering it for my G8 GT). Also, the bone yards around here think their junk is the new world currency standard - no deals around here anymore. They're all connected and selling stuff over the internet asking premium pricing. I have found about half the time I can buy a new part for about the same money - I guess there are people out there that don't check pricing?

I think that 8.8 rear would be a good option for you with your fabrication skills. I was cruising the ole interweb and ran across this Ranger site listing some 8.8 rear ends.
https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/ford-8-8-inch-rear-axle-history-and-specs/

You've probably already seen this one:
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/how-to-swap-ford-rear-into-a-gm-g-body/

I haven't personally measured, but the tech from one of the brake and kit manufacturers posted on one of the sites I stumbled on, that on average the disk brake rotors adds about 0.12 to 0.15" per axle over drums.

Anyway, thought those tidbits might be helpful.

#1071888 - 08/31/21 10:04 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
Wilson Offline
Wilson  Offline

Brighton il
Looking at one of their rear sway bar packages. Talked them yesterday. I was initially worried that it would be overkill but after talking on the phone it can be adjusted for street use also. Gonna make a purchase in next few weeks. Then finally this project will be wrapped up.

#1071893 - 08/31/21 04:13 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: Wilson]  
stew'86MCSS396 Offline
stew'86MCSS396  Offline

Honolulu
Looking at one of their rear sway bar packages. Talked them yesterday. I was initially worried that it would be overkill but after talking on the phone it can be adjusted for street use also. Gonna make a purchase in next few weeks. Then finally this project will be wrapped up.

This one is sold but has some useful links... http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1069552#Post1069552

I was considering using this particular setup but didn't want to shell out the money for the HR Parts plus it might be overkill. lol Couple of web searches, turned up people using the same setup but oem parts from either S10s or Camaros. I have everything to do an S10 setup except for the end links. Reason I was considering this setup is due to running a non-stock rearend i.e. '68-'72 12-bolt that may alter lower control arm geometry plus the kit I own the lower control arms don't have holes for a sway bar. Ironically post #5 has a picture of a 8.8... https://gbodyforum.com/threads/rear-sway-anti-roll-bar.71646/

#1071895 - 08/31/21 05:24 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: T5montecarlo]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
Originally Posted by T5montecarlo
No LPW cover? or chrome moly yoke?

Why do you want to increase the rear braking ability?

I talked to a guy at strange. He felt there was no need with the power level I have planned. Not sure on flange yet so I was just trying to price something common with all them to get an idea so I have just been pricing them all with 11" drum.

#1071897 - 08/31/21 08:28 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
Wilson Offline
Wilson  Offline

Brighton il
I went with the drum brakes myself to simplify things. Personally didn't want to goof with the emergency brake cable and bracket on most disc brake setups. Wilwood with internal parking brake would have been sweet but then again cost vs the actual need. 11 drums work just fine for around town. Saved a few bucks on the drum brakes from Quick Performance vs Strange. I believe 150 bucks cheaper.

#1071911 - 09/01/21 03:00 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
Sounds like you've got most of the questions in place and answered Brent, now you just need to decide.

I will say the prices are WAY higher than they were when I did mine, I think I was all in for less than $2,000 when I did my QP9.

Lance
1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car
#1071912 - 09/01/21 06:22 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
AkronAero Online content
10+ Year
10+ Year

Akron OH
Brent, you have well documented parts costs for complete upgrade to the 7.5 including Trutrac and 28 spline Moser axles, which was my route. I already had the Moser girdle for the diff. My driveline guys also showed me potential wear problems so upgraded remaining gm parts and replaced seals and bearings all for $1500. A point of reference, and only took half a day. A solid option for most of us.....
Gordon

#1071935 - 09/04/21 05:07 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
mmc427ss Offline
20+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
20+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
As with all these little upgrades we do it become costs verses gains verses ego.

The 500 dollar option.
Your 7 1/2 is very low miles, you could simple pull the carrier and install a Powertrax in an afternoon. I drove Steve's 85 with a T5, 7 1/2" with that unit install. Behaved like a posi, but at times you could feel the unit release when turning from a stop. Not annoying, just noticeable.
Adding a girdle, axles and bearings could be done later as your needs change. With just that Powertrax you could wear out both rear tires at the same time, and it looks better when you can peal two stripes.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwt-92-0775-2605

My Astro van, 5000 lbs, has a 7 1/2" with 3.73s, no posi. The only thing I have every done to it is change the gear oil once at 141K, it now has 292K. Guess i should change it again. Not.

The 2000 dollars option.
8 1/2" isn't an option anymore. If you can find a housing for reasonable, build it to handle some power and tires, your into the 2K range, and still using your 9 1/2" rear brakes. Could just have the back end of your driveshaft cut off and a 1350 joint used.
Have built the 87 Olds 442 rear in the 86 twice now. Only used just the housing, 3.73, and axles the first time, paid 600 bucks. later an axle journal failure fix was installing Moser's.
Second time changed to a 30 spline Truetrack, Moser axles and 4.11s. Soon will pull the 4.11s and reinstall the 3.73.
Disadvantage, a Spicer type rear is easiest to rebuild on a workbench if you can't walk under the car. Also a C-clip rear just like the 7 1/2". Also the goofy three bolt mount flange for the rear brakes.

9" option
A ton of good parts for them, the most common replacement, you get what you pay for. Only real problem i have with a 9" is everyone calls it a Ford 9". As a Chevy guy at heart putting those foreign parts in the 86 just couldn't happen.
When my son graduated HS we bought a 78 Z-28, healthy 350, TH350 and a 9" with 3.89 gears. That rear gave me fits over a leaking axle bearing/seal. Twice replaced the bearing and seal on the same side, then replaced the axle, then had a mechanic friend replace that bearing and seal. Got tired of cleaning up the mess, sold the car, the other alternative was to put a 12 bolt in it.
I see 9" used everywhere, easier to pull the pumpkin if needed, easier to set backlash, strong enough for most everyone

Moser 12 bolt.
Plenty strong, will look like it belongs there, most likely the easiest rear to put a set of brakes on.

S60 option.
Another Spicer rear, built right almost indestructible, maybe the most horsepower required to spin it of all the choices, maybe the heaviest, if built to bolt right into a G-body perfectly, only need to touch it once if built right.

If i was shopping now the S60 would be the serious contender. Partly because I grew up with several friend's cars having the Dana 60, saw them all the time in different drag race uses. One you choose the R&P, diff type you're done.

Rear brakes:
If other than stock is used my choice would be a 12" rotor and alum calipers with park brake. I feel the 11" drum maybe to aggressive, especially with stock front brakes. Sooner or later upgrading the fronts to 12, or even 13 would make for a nice brake package, a 12-12 would be huge upgrade for a stock system. So don't spend money twice on rear brakes.
Also rear width relative to wheel backspacing can be influenced by the brake setup, drum verses disc. The old measure twice cut once rule.

Bob

#1071938 - 09/04/21 01:43 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
Bob, still undecided but if I was to go with a 9" rear end I would go with the currie housing, tappered bearings and oe stye brackets in the oe position. The housing is not cheap but its the only one I've found in the 9" categorie that would check all my boxes for the 9".

"GM G-Body Housing and Axle Package - Currie Enterprises" https://www.currieenterprises.com/78-88-gm-g-body-9-inch-housing-and-axle-package

Last edited by 88ssBrent; 09/04/21 01:44 PM.
#1071944 - 09/05/21 09:04 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
BadSS Offline
20+ Year
BadSS  Offline
20+ Year

Pearl, MS, 39208
Well, the Currie set up wasn't cheap in 1988 dollars either, but was about the only game around at the time - unless I trusted someone locally to set up a housing for me, which I didn't - lol. All I can say is I drove the car daily until 1992 and probably put close to 70,000 miles on it and made hundreds of quarter mile passes without so much as a leak. Now, I did scrounge the junk yards for a nodular center section and bought the locker and gears separately to save a few buck compared to Currie - as I said, they were expensive even back then.

I was a little concerned about the rearend after nearly pole-vaulting the car, but it wasn't making any noise when I got the car back on the road and I kept driving it. When I did get around to dropping down from the 3.89s to a more friendly 3.50 gear, there was very little wear on the gear set and it was a piece of cake setting up the new gears with the chunk sitting on the bench.

#1071945 - 09/05/21 02:24 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
Tunedss86 Offline
15+ Year
Tunedss86  Offline
15+ Year

Eastern Virginia
Not to steal the thread, but what's thoughts on using a late 60'/early 70's A body 12 bolt? From what I can tell, it just needs different upper control arms to mount. Yes it is wider, but thats ok, can make up for that with deeper offset rear wheels.

#1071947 - 09/05/21 07:19 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: Tunedss86]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
It is an option thats out there, umi has a kit for the conversion. The problem for me is every one of them uve ran across has not been cheap.

"1978-1988 GM G-Body 12-Bolt Swap Lower Control Arm and Adjustable Upper Control Arm Kit - UMI Performance Inc." https://www.umiperformance.com/home...rm-and-adjustable-upper-control-arm-kit/

Last edited by 88ssBrent; 09/05/21 07:39 PM.
#1071949 - 09/05/21 08:34 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
Tunedss86 Offline
15+ Year
Tunedss86  Offline
15+ Year

Eastern Virginia
It is an option thats out there, umi has a kit for the conversion. The problem for me is every one of them uve ran across has not been cheap.

"1978-1988 GM G-Body 12-Bolt Swap Lower Control Arm and Adjustable Upper Control Arm Kit - UMI Performance Inc." https://www.umiperformance.com/home...rm-and-adjustable-upper-control-arm-kit/

They told me the lowers are the same as the 7.5/8.5 G body rears & only the uppers are unique.

#1071952 - 09/05/21 09:47 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
Fred SS Offline
10+ Year
Fred SS  Offline
10+ Year

Glassboro, NJ

How much wider is an A-Body 12-Bolt over the 7.5 G-body?

Fred

#1071953 - 09/05/21 10:28 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: Fred SS]  
stew'86MCSS396 Offline
stew'86MCSS396  Offline

Honolulu

How much wider is an A-Body 12-Bolt over the 7.5 G-body?

Fred

68-72 A-body 12-bolts are ~1.5" per side wider and that might be a no go if you got some coin in your rims already. I tried mocking it up with rear IROC rims and it puts the sidewall bump right at the lip of the fender.

Earlier years are narrower but I can't remember the specifics.

Last edited by stew'86MCSS396; 09/05/21 11:14 PM.
#1071954 - 09/05/21 11:32 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
Tunedss86 Offline
15+ Year
Tunedss86  Offline
15+ Year

Eastern Virginia
. If the 68-72 is 3" wider than the Monte, (from above) then the Monte would be 59.5"

Rear end widths in inches (wheel mount surface to wheel mount surface)

57.75 1962-1967 Chevy II/Nova
58.00 1978-1988 Chevy Malibu, Monte Carlo
59.50 1968-1982 Corvette
60.00 1955-1964 Chevy Car
60.00 1967-1969 Camaro
60.25 1968-1979 Chevy II/Nova
60.50 1984-1995 Corvette
60.50 1964-1967 Chevelle
62.00 1955-1959 Chevy Pickup
62.50 1968-1972 Chevelle
62.50 1970-1981 Camaro/Firebird

#1071955 - 09/06/21 04:50 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
mmc427ss Offline
20+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
20+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
If you throw out the leaf spring 12 bolts from that list if becomes a very short donor list.

As we know one of the G-bodies shortcomings is the narrow rear width which is because of the narrow track width needed to fit into the narrower body widths of the new mid-sized G-body. When they put the blueprints into the reducing copier in 1977 they punched 5% and the A-Body rolling chassis is now a 78 A/G-body, wrap a pretty body around it, race it in NASCAR, you end up with a Monte Carlo SS.

If you want to stay in the area of a zero offset wheel you can't deviate much from 58". So pretty much stuck buying someone's rear end the correct width.

Would also think there is little money to be saved by buying the parts and doing the assemble, just makes it easier to hide the expensive purchases. No matter which route you go it's expensive and more expensive.

Brent, UCA and LCA are now adjustable?
Bob

#1071957 - 09/06/21 10:15 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: Tunedss86]  
stew'86MCSS396 Offline
stew'86MCSS396  Offline

Honolulu
Originally Posted by Tunedss86
. If the 68-72 is 3" wider than the Monte, (from above) then the Monte would be 59.5"

Rear end widths in inches (wheel mount surface to wheel mount surface)

57.75 1962-1967 Chevy II/Nova
58.00 1978-1988 Chevy Malibu, Monte Carlo
59.50 1968-1982 Corvette
60.00 1955-1964 Chevy Car
60.00 1967-1969 Camaro
60.25 1968-1979 Chevy II/Nova
60.50 1984-1995 Corvette
60.50 1964-1967 Chevelle
62.00 1955-1959 Chevy Pickup
62.50 1968-1972 Chevelle
62.50 1970-1981 Camaro/Firebird

I like how I'm somewhat being quoted for what is deemed misinformation. I think the last 2 on the list is wrong. With axles for a 68-72 Chevelle 12-bolt being a smidgen over 30"x2=60", the crosspins must be over 2" wide in these rearends. It's all moot if the OP wants to run the same rims he has on the car now but I'll go crawl under the house and take some measurements of the axles I removed and the '70 Chevelle rear I own.

Last edited by stew'86MCSS396; 09/06/21 10:52 AM.
#1071958 - 09/06/21 01:01 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
Everything is still stock except for 2" drop spindles in the front, and Aldan "coilovers" on all four corners. Im still open to all options because I still have lots of homework to do. I don't want to spend $3000+ on a rearend then come up with another chunk of change for all new rear suspension. Only way I would spring for new suspension is if I got a good deal on a rear end and it made sense.

I'm open to all rear ends and have access to a jig with most bushing options available. I have tig, mig, and comfortable shortening an axle. Im also comfortable welding brackets on tubes, but if using a cast center housing it would need the upper control arm points. Also if anyone is curious currie has the factory style lower control arm mounts to buy separate if needed.

The issue with most used rearends is by the time I make them check all the boxes im not far off the price for a new rearend. I want it to fit my wheels ( offset and lug pattern), be able to use my coilovers, a helical style differential, where im at now have a 3.73 gear ratio, and still undecided on brakes so that could factor in new axle flanges. Every used 12 bolt i have found with the upper mounts has not been cheap so far.

#1071959 - 09/06/21 01:08 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: stew'86MCSS396]  
Tunedss86 Offline
15+ Year
Tunedss86  Offline
15+ Year

Eastern Virginia
Originally Posted by stew'86MCSS396

I like how I'm somewhat being quoted for what is deemed misinformation. I think the last 2 on the list is wrong. With axles for a 68-72 Chevelle 12-bolt being a smidgen over 30"x2=60", the crosspins must be over 2" wide in these rearends. It's all moot if the OP wants to run the same rims he has on the car now but I'll go crawl under the house and take some measurements of the axles I removed and the '70 Chevelle rear I own.

I wasn't indicating anything was "misinformation". Those numbers are just some I found on the net at some point.

Last edited by Tunedss86; 09/06/21 04:31 PM.
#1071960 - 09/06/21 01:32 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
No moot points here. I enjoy the conversation about any rearend option as it might help me or help others so any rear end discussion is welcome in this thread.

#1071961 - 09/06/21 08:53 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
Fred SS Offline
10+ Year
Fred SS  Offline
10+ Year

Glassboro, NJ
Brent, I too enjoy this conversation. I have not decided if I will have my 7.5 upgraded as Gordon (AkronAero) said or go with a Moser 12-bolt. For my needs, street driving only (no autox nor drag strip), an upgraded 7.5 should handle my needs as Gordon said. The S60 and 9" are overkill for me. The Moser 12 Bolt is very tempting for me since it is a bolt in operation, no searching for or adapting emergency brake cables and strong enough to handle a future 383 or LS.

Fred

Last edited by Fred SS; 09/06/21 08:58 PM. Reason: re-word

#1071962 - 09/06/21 09:49 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: Tunedss86]  
stew'86MCSS396 Offline
stew'86MCSS396  Offline

Honolulu
Originally Posted by stew'86MCSS396

I wasn't indicating anything was "misinformation". Those numbers are just some I found on the net at some point.

It's all G!!! It's funny I used the search terms "12-bolt+rearend+widths," clicked on 3 different hits and got 3 different answers!!! I should have never indicated that last one on the list was wrong either as I don't have one in the stable to measure just that when you order axles for that particular year/make/model, last 2 on the list are all lumped together. Also, found a Chevelle forum thread that aftermarket axles can vary in length from one manufacture to another. I don't have drums on the '68-'72 A-body 12-bolt in the crawl space and it does have Moser axles but I did get 61" axle flange to axle flange.

#1071963 - 09/06/21 11:22 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
Wilson Offline
Wilson  Offline

Brighton il
When I did my 9 inch swap it took about a full day. I had an extra hand for part of it. I was able to use existing emergency brake cables. Even used original brake lines. Didnt have to change driveshaft, just install conversion joint. This winter I will make new brake lines when I install sway bar to clear clamps. I went with the Strange housing for the adjustable lower bar and shock mounts. If I could figure out how to uploading pictures I would post.

#1071964 - 09/07/21 12:21 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: Wilson]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
When I did my 9 inch swap it took about a full day. I had an extra hand for part of it. I was able to use existing emergency brake cables. Even used original brake lines. Didnt have to change driveshaft, just install conversion joint. This winter I will make new brake lines when I install sway bar to clear clamps. I went with the Strange housing for the adjustable lower bar and shock mounts. If I could figure out how to uploading pictures I would post.

Ross, I would be more than glad to upload pictures to this thread with credit to the owner if anyone would like. My email address is in my profile, just send my way and I will post.

#1071967 - 09/07/21 12:16 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
Here is a bracket kit that curries has for the the g body when wanting to use a 12 bolt.

"CE-7012GP - GM G-Body Suspension Bracket Set - (12 Bolt Housings) - Currie Enterprises" https://www.currieenterprises.com/CE-7012GP

#1072031 - 09/16/21 09:19 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
Wilson Offline
Wilson  Offline

Brighton il
Did you decide what setup you are going with.

#1072032 - 09/16/21 11:08 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: Wilson]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
Unfortunately not yet, it shouldn't be this hard but it seems there is a lot more to weed thru than I had planned.

#1072036 - 09/17/21 04:43 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
Fred SS Offline
10+ Year
Fred SS  Offline
10+ Year

Glassboro, NJ
Brent, I have been having an email exchange with Moser concerning their 12-Bolt. I thought I would pass along what I have learned. Apparently, their 12-Bolt comes with the brake lines only if the drum brake option is selected. If the disk brake upgrade is selected, the customer has to source the brake lines. But they do supply the flex hose from the calipers. Either option comes with the parking brake cables installed. They also said that they can weld-on the tabs, if asked, that supports the hard line to flex hose fitting. Also their 12-bolt does not come with the bump stop support brackets installed. They do not supply that. Look like most aftermarket rear ends do not have that bracket. I figured I could attach a bump stop to the underside of the frame at the axle centerline. I need the bump stops because my 3.5 inch driveshaft has been making contact with the stiffener that is attached to the underside of the body, under the rear seat.

#1072038 - 09/17/21 10:15 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
Wilson Offline
Wilson  Offline

Brighton il
Drove my car last weekend to a show. 60 plus miles round trip. No whining of the gearset, kinda shocked since this was my first time doing a set of gears. Love the Trutrac and 11 drums stop as they should. Just ordered a HR sway bar yesterday. Really nice knowing that it is finally bullet proof back there.

#1072039 - 09/17/21 12:01 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: Fred SS]  
Tunedss86 Offline
15+ Year
Tunedss86  Offline
15+ Year

Eastern Virginia
Currie sells a bracket kit for the 12 bolt that can be welded on. Contact them, maybe they will sell just the ones you need. (I think the ones with the rectangular hole is the bump stop brackets?)

https://www.currieenterprises.com/CE-7012GP

[Linked Image]

#1072040 - 09/17/21 12:04 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
Tunedss86 Offline
15+ Year
Tunedss86  Offline
15+ Year

Eastern Virginia

#1072041 - 09/17/21 12:38 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: Tunedss86]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
Currie sells a bracket kit for the 12 bolt that can be welded on. Contact them, maybe they will sell just the ones you need. (I think the ones with the rectangular hole is the bump stop

Same kit I posted above, when I called they said they would not seperate.

#1072042 - 09/17/21 12:49 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
Tunedss86 Offline
15+ Year
Tunedss86  Offline
15+ Year

Eastern Virginia
Currie sells a bracket kit for the 12 bolt that can be welded on. Contact them, maybe they will sell just the ones you need. (I think the ones with the rectangular hole is the bump stop

Same kit I posted above, when I called they said they would not seperate.

Ah sorry, I must have missed that post (or have slept since I read it, LOL)

Check the ebay listing then (Its not mine), $50 for the brackets & bump stops.

Last edited by Tunedss86; 09/17/21 12:50 PM.
#1072082 - 09/22/21 05:41 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
So, I may regret not getting the rearend first but I changed course on my plans for the moment. Im still going to keep an eye out for certain rearends and see if I can come up with something. Im going to build a 396 sbc engine, should be interesting.

#1072084 - 09/22/21 07:24 PM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
AkronAero Online content
10+ Year
10+ Year

Akron OH
Brent - actually, the longer you delay the more information and intel we collect from you.....
What your personal spin on the 396??? Just that it gives you more stuff to tweak (and learn about)?
Keep us posted...
Gordon

#1072087 - 09/23/21 05:44 AM Re: Rearend Planning! [Re: 88ssBrent]  
Fred SS Offline
10+ Year
Fred SS  Offline
10+ Year

Glassboro, NJ
Brent, by waiting you might luck out and find a decent rear end somewhere. A few years ago, I missed out on an 8.5 Gran National rear that was built up for about $1500. I'm still leaning towards the Moser 12-Bolt. Good luck with your 396 small block. Please keep us posted.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Random Images
500/thumbs/Monte2_mid.JPG
by woolf
500/thumbs/PC260345.jpg
by 02intimidator
500/thumbs/wk.jpg
by go3and8
1044/thumbs/350_1.jpg
by 85 rider
500/thumbs/downsized_0324121833a.jpg
by slick-licks85