CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1071491 - 08/07/21 10:43 AM Bench seat track  
Hatonhed Offline
Hatonhed  Offline

Harwich, Ma
Good morning. I have an 85 Monte CL and it is equiped with a 60/40 split bench seat and the drivers portion is electric and not working. I am trying to remove the carpet for floor repair but im struggling with the bolts on the track. I have removed almost all the bolts but there are two left and I cant move the track to remove them so im not sure how to procede. Is there another way to move the track or will I have to cut/damage the current track for removal? If that is the case is there a replacement manual track option? Thanks guys/gals!

#1071492 - 08/07/21 12:34 PM Re: Bench seat track [Re: Hatonhed]  
FrankOC Offline
15+ Year
FrankOC  Offline
15+ Year

Cape Cod, MA
I haven’t seen anyone selling new seat tracks, you would need to find a used set which wouldn’t be impossible. Are you not able to reach the nuts that attach the tracks to the brackets on the floor? By the way, I see you are in Harwich, I’m in East Sandwich.

-------
#1071493 - 08/07/21 01:02 PM Re: Bench seat track [Re: FrankOC]  
Hatonhed Offline
Hatonhed  Offline

Harwich, Ma
Greetings from harwich Frank! The seat is power now and the power unit does not work. I have to be able to move the seat all the way forward or back to access the other set of bolts. I looked at the seat transmission but it doesn’t seem like there is an apparent easy way to manually move it.

#1071494 - 08/07/21 01:09 PM Re: Bench seat track [Re: Hatonhed]  
upflying Offline
20+ Year
upflying  Offline
20+ Year

Reno, NV
I have the same seats in mine and had to remove them several times. You will need to figure out a way to get 12 volt power to the seat motor to move the seat fully forward. This will expose the pesky bolts you cant access. Since you are doing floor pan repair, the bolts are likely rusty and they may break as you try to turn them.
I think the wire is pink, remove a bit of insulation and jump battery power to it with the ground wire clamped to the seat frame.
Better yet, just unplug the harness under the seat and jump power to it through the plug.
Watch your fingers while the seat is moving.

Last edited by upflying; 08/07/21 01:13 PM.

86 MCSS Notchback coupe, LS3, 4L65E, QP 9", Eaton Truetrac, 4 wheel disc, column shift, Dakota Digital, silver with maroon bench interior

#1071495 - 08/07/21 05:51 PM Re: Bench seat track [Re: upflying]  
Hatonhed Offline
Hatonhed  Offline

Harwich, Ma
Unfortunately the power unit does not work. I have tried to direct power it and I believe the motor is bad because it will not move.

#1071498 - 08/08/21 02:06 AM Re: Bench seat track [Re: Hatonhed]  
Hatonhed Offline
Hatonhed  Offline

Harwich, Ma
So a bit of an update. The cables that drive each portion of the seat (forward and backward up and down and so on) look much like a speedometer cable. If you can remove the motor/transmission and disconnect the cables you can then chuck onto the cables individually with a drill and motor them forward and backward as needed. It is a bit tedious because you can only do one side at a time but in a pinch such as this it gets the job done!

Random Images
500/thumbs/rear-side1.jpg
by Carl
500/thumbs/monte_21.JPG
by lnknprrul
500/thumbs/monte15.jpg
by Spider_carb
1084/thumbs/imagejpeg_8_5.jpg
by 87SSon6s
500/thumbs/87_mc_ss_2.JPG
by oldcardoc
Help MonteCarloSS.com