Next Thread
Print Thread
#1071316 - 07/10/21 08:23 PM Intermediate Steering Shaft  
BradTSS Offline
20+ Year
BradTSS  Offline
20+ Year

Granton, WI
I got one of those new OER intermediate steering shafts that are available from several vendors on the internet, for my 1985 Monte Carlo SS.
Is it normal for the joint (not the rag joint) in the knuckle to move around extremely easy? The knuckle will basically flop over if the shaft is rotated from one side to the other.
I installed it and it has so much play that I am sure it will rattle and clank and bang if it’s driven. It just does not seem like this is this correct.
Has anyone had any experience with one of these replacement shafts for our cars?

#1071317 - 07/10/21 10:30 PM Re: Intermediate Steering Shaft [Re: BradTSS]  
upflying Offline
20+ Year
upflying  Offline
20+ Year

Reno, NV
Do you have a link for the one you installed?
I think most of us are using jeep cherokee shafts.

Last edited by upflying; 07/10/21 10:30 PM.

86 MCSS Notchback coupe, LS3, 4L65E, QP 9", Eaton Truetrac, 4 wheel disc, column shift, Dakota Digital, silver with maroon bench interior

#1071318 - 07/11/21 12:24 AM Re: Intermediate Steering Shaft [Re: BradTSS]  
BradTSS Offline
20+ Year
BradTSS  Offline
20+ Year

Granton, WI

Last edited by BradTSS; 07/11/21 12:26 AM. Reason: Link did not copy correctly
#1071667 - 08/18/21 03:18 AM Re: Intermediate Steering Shaft [Re: BradTSS]  
MisterAdam Offline
MisterAdam  Offline

Blythewood, sc
Have you installed the shaft? if so, does it stiffen up the steering?

#1071668 - 08/18/21 03:20 AM Re: Intermediate Steering Shaft [Re: BradTSS]  
MisterAdam Offline
MisterAdam  Offline

Blythewood, sc
Have you installed the shaft? if so, does it stiffen up the steering?

#1072277 - 10/19/21 07:00 PM Re: Intermediate Steering Shaft [Re: BradTSS]  
Ghost Car Offline
Ghost Car  Offline

Houston, TX
This may be a cold post, but if you are going stock replacement, I recommend getting one with the protective cover. This past August, my steering was sloppy. I popped the cover and noticed one of the nuts connecting the intermediate steering shaft to the rag joint was missing. Scary. Guess my trusted mechanic from 15 years ago forgot lock tight. Due to the cover, the rag joint was pristine. That cover shields heat and oil from the power steering. The rag joint end and steering coupling pin are larger larger than the small end of the cover. So if getting a rebuilt unit, get one with a cover.

This post asked if the coupler should move around easy. The answer is NO. My guess is the rebuilder used wrong/smaller blocks inside the coupler.

Since I had to take out my intermediate steering shaft, I decided to rebuild the steering coupling. The protective boot on the coupler melted when I installed an Edelbrock TES in 1990. (Bad choice also can melt upper control arm bushings and AC vacuum canister. In 2009, I installed ceramic coated Hookers with air tubes . No more problems.) Using a cold chisel, I bent back the tabs holding the boot. With the help of some PB Blaster, I was able to remove the metal cover. Inside there is a pin across the shaft which two blocks held by a retaining clip. My old headers must have melted the grease. I cleaned all the parts. Placed the metal cover in Evap-o-rust and sprayed the outside in high heat clear. I also soaked a rag in Evaop-o-rust on the rusted top of the shaft, cleaned with steel wool and painted clear. The problem was the small end of the boot couldn't slide over the pin and I don't have a hydraulic press. Problem solved by cutting the small end of the boot on the molding line. Once on the shaft, I superglued the cut part and used two zip ties to hold tight. Also, place some tape on the shaft so the boot doesn't get glued to the shaft. I let the boot dry overnight, cut the ties and slipped the boot forward and removed the tape. The next problem is the AC Delco replacement boot's metal disk is smaller than the original...so save your original disk. I cleaned up the original disk and glued it to the replacement disk. I reassembled and used bearing grease on the block and slides. After bending the tabs to retain the boot, I put some black gasket maker to make sure the coupler would be sealed. The hard part of the job is reinstalling the intermediate shaft. I first started by trying to align the rag joint end. Install the steering coupler end first and pull /take out the compression in the coupler to meet the steering box. Two hours of on/off tapping with a combination of brass rod and wood block with a rubber mallet...your'e done.

Random Images
665/thumbs/50-dash.jpg
by valvefloat ss
500/thumbs/IMG_4607.JPG
by LT1SSJC
500/thumbs/monte56.jpg
by tovann
1125/thumbs/LB_trophy_and_car.jpg
by The PC Surgeon
500/thumbs/car_134.JPG
by monte_ss_freak
Help MonteCarloSS.com