CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1070100 - 03/28/21 02:42 AM New to the Forum. Have a Exhaust Question  
Banana_bb Offline
Banana_bb  Offline

Kernesville, NC
Thanks for the invite to the forums. A little about my situation.

My son was given a 1987 Monte Carlo that was his grandfathers after he passed away a couple years ago. Anyway we brought the car from up north down to the southern climate and decided to make a list on what it needed. It first started with a exhaust leak that transpired into some manifold bolts breaking in the original 305. Then it was decided that we could just replace the heads and we would still be fine. Low and behold something told me to pull the oil pan only to find out that there a some good size aluminum chunks on the oil pick up.. Come to find out it was various pieces of pistons, so a simple project now has turned into a major project.

We decided to go with a GM long block PART NO. 19367080 to give my son a good base to build off of if so he chooses. I did have a lot of parts both old and new from the old 305 that was supposed to go back so we tried to use as much as we could from the pile we had. The new motor has vortec heads so the original (new) exhaust manifolds we thought we could use do not fit. I think the heads are the L31 vortec heads. With that being said one question i have is: What would be some good recommendations for some headers that don't break the bank. It does have the original starter, and crossover pipe that i am assuming is going to be no longer needed ? I did try searching but i couldn't clarify if the headers that were being mentioned would work with the L31 heads. I have no preference on long or short just not sure on what the general consensus is. I am also probably going to need a new exhaust when the new headers are chosen.

Thanks for your time and answers.

#1070106 - 03/28/21 06:20 PM Re: New to the Forum. Have a Exhaust Question [Re: Banana_bb]  
Aerocoupe Offline
20+ Year
Aerocoupe  Offline
20+ Year

NC
Welcome to the forum neighbor

[Linked Image] 1986 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1986 Monte Carlo SS
2006 Monte Carlo SS
#1070111 - 03/28/21 11:52 PM Re: New to the Forum. Have a Exhaust Question [Re: Banana_bb]  
Buick Runner Online content
10+ Year
Buick Runner  Online Content
10+ Year

Dharma station 1 the Hydra
If you are going to reuse the CCC system you will need to weld a O2 sensor bung onto the headers. Most direct fit performance parts for these cars are long discontinued. Its also illegal for G bodies to have true dual exhaust so you may have a hard time finding a exhaust shop willing to install an illegal setup.

SBC powered 1987 Regal with TES headers, ZZ4 intake, ZZ4 PROM chip, mini starter, THM2004R, 2500 stall converter, 2040 cam, CCC system, and 3.73 posi rear.

2008 ex NPS P71 Crown Victoria, cop motor, cop shocks, cop brakes, and Jmod.

Never argue with an idiot.
They will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
#1070113 - 03/29/21 12:11 AM Re: New to the Forum. Have a Exhaust Question [Re: Banana_bb]  
MattsMonte Offline
10+ Year
MattsMonte  Offline
10+ Year

Johnston, Iowa
Is there an emissions testing requirement for cars that are more than 20 years old in NC?

https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/title-registration/emissions-safety/Pages/emissions-inspections.aspx

[Linked Image]

1988 MCSS T-Tops. Frame off restoration, 330HP 350 crate engine, 700R4 transmission.
#1070122 - 03/29/21 06:15 PM Re: New to the Forum. Have a Exhaust Question [Re: Banana_bb]  
Banana_bb Offline
Banana_bb  Offline

Kernesville, NC
Thanks for the responses.

There are no restrictions in NC. The only thing we have to do with this car is register it online.

We did end up yanking the computer out and tucking the harness.

Last edited by Banana_bb; 03/29/21 06:15 PM.
#1070123 - 03/29/21 07:24 PM Re: New to the Forum. Have a Exhaust Question [Re: Banana_bb]  
88ssBrent Offline
88ssBrent  Offline

Friendsville
http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1068550#Post1068550

My exhaust thread. My suggestions is get raw uncoated headers. I tried 2 different headers and both needed some massaging to clear. After that just spray them with bbq paint and run them for awhile to burn all the residue off. Then get them professionally coated.

#1070128 - 03/29/21 10:04 PM Re: New to the Forum. Have a Exhaust Question [Re: Banana_bb]  
doublemonte Offline
15+ Year
doublemonte  Offline
15+ Year

Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
Originally Posted by Banana_bb
Thanks for the invite to the forums. A little about my situation.

My son was given a 1987 Monte Carlo that was his grandfathers after he passed away a couple years ago.

This is how I originally ended up with my 84 as well. And why I still have the car over 20 years (and many $$$!) later! I fell in love with Montes as a result and although I could drive something else, no other car will be my grandfather's.

So I'm loving your son's story and can confirm you're in the right place for advice on ANYTHING! Welcome!

Dave

'84 SC - Hot Chocolate Metallic exterior, Dark Briar Brown interior, orig. 305ci, headers, custom dual exhaust
'02 SS Pacecar - competition yellow (TOTALLED)
2014 Porsche Panamera 4S
2018 Cadillac ATS
#1070529 - 04/25/21 05:13 AM Re: New to the Forum. Have a Exhaust Question [Re: doublemonte]  
Banana_bb Offline
Banana_bb  Offline

Kernesville, NC
Just a little update. The engine made it into the car with minimal issues. We did end up finding some more parts that were rusted out an need replacing.

My son learned some very valuable lessons in don't always think it's as easy as it looks on you tube. Cliff notes he wanted to replace the rear diff fluid, and before seeing if he could actually get the fill plug out he popped the diff cover off. Needless to say the lesson tuned into to what to do if you round out a plug, and how to use a tap and drill. We got it all out but it took some work.

We still need to do the throttle linkage, the tranny and exhaust. We'll see what else needs to be replaced after that.

thanks again for the advice.

#1070532 - 04/25/21 12:00 PM Re: New to the Forum. Have a Exhaust Question [Re: Banana_bb]  
gbodypharm Offline
gbodypharm  Offline

Bedford Heights, OH
I have vortec heads and just went through installing a dual exhaust. I installed Hooker long tube headers 2451HKR. They were not too bad to install. Had to go in from under the car. Drivers side went right in without any issue. The passenger side required a little work to fit. They hit the upper control arm just slightly so a little grinding on the control arm was needed and a small dent in the tube for clearance. I run a mini starter which had to be removed for installation. Not sure if the stock starter would still fit but there does seem to be plenty of room. I used a collector that had an O2 bung. You will need a double hump cross-member for a dual exhaust.

The biggest issue I found with the exhaust was finding anything in stock. Most kits seem to be on back order. I went with a Pypes X-pipe kit to a pair of summit mufflers that ends with turn downs right before the rear axle under the car. Everything just bolted right up.

Hope this helps.

#1071404 - 07/21/21 10:15 PM Re: New to the Forum. Have a Exhaust Question [Re: Banana_bb]  
Bitflipper Offline
15+ Year
Bitflipper  Offline
15+ Year

Las Vegas, NV
I know this thread is now a few months old, but for what it's worth, I just got through a > 1 year journey getting that exact engine working my car. Kept the CCC system (if you know anything about me, you know I'm a huge ECM fan!)

I ran into all sorts of issues with the throttle and TV cable mounts due to the OEM bracket not fitting in with the require intake manifold. Check out this thread if you need help as to how to replace the bracket with an aftermarket one that bolts up to the carb. That too created a blockage issue which is all outlined in the thread. Had to take the bracket to a machine shop to have it bent so there was enough clearance for a fitting. Cheaper options were offered up in the forum thread, but I wanted "elegant" and "as close to as intended as possible" if you know what I mean...

http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1066581&page=7

Good luck with the remaining build!

[Linked Image]

Random Images
500/thumbs/signature71.jpg
by toddztoyz
500/thumbs/Monte_overlooking_river.JPG
by Ricks88SS
560/thumbs/MM_05_23.jpg
by NYmonteSS
500/thumbs/DSC_0014.JPG
by wanadrv
1188/thumbs/4_-_Copy.jpg