CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1068221 - 10/08/20 02:35 PM Gen V LT1 Swap  
lambeau40 Offline
lambeau40  Offline

Benton, WI
Hey all, new to the forum so if this topic has already been discussed I apologize. Has anyone performed a Gen V swap into their G body? My dad has an 87 Aero Coupe and just purchased a 6.2 and 8 speed automatic from a 2018 Camaro that we're putting in it. The plan is to build the frame first with new UMI suspension with coil overs, Ford 9" rear end, and 4 wheel disc brakes by Wilwood. Hoping to install the engine and trans before sitting the body on it. There's a little information out there but I can't find any good documentation on what to look for. Just wondering if anyone had any good info. I plan to document with pictures as we get into it.
Thanks!

#1068223 - 10/08/20 05:31 PM Re: Gen V LT1 Swap [Re: lambeau40]  
SSLance Online content
10+ Year
SSLance  Online Content
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
First off, Welcome...

I'm not a LS swap guy, but there are several on here that have done successful and very clean swaps who I'm sure will step up to help.

Lance
1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car
#1068224 - 10/08/20 05:52 PM Re: Gen V LT1 Swap [Re: lambeau40]  
Richie Cat Offline
10+ Year
Richie Cat  Offline
10+ Year

Lake Ronkonkoma, N.Y.
I know you meant LS not LT. Lol.
Here's an article that deals with A body swaps.
A and G body are close in design, hope this helps.
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/project-cars/sucp-0906-chevy-chevelle-ls-engine-swap

83 SC, 355 w/TPI
#1068225 - 10/08/20 08:34 PM Re: Gen V LT1 Swap [Re: lambeau40]  
mmc427ss Offline
20+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
20+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
Welcome Lou. Actually Lou was correct, he is transplanting an LT engine into his Aero. Despite the fact the first LT was 70, the second in 92 and now with the new LT in 2014 GM keeps trying to confuse us. So yes that will be a new LT into Lou's Aero. Cool. Especially cool with 8 speed auto

The new LT are starting to show up as swap engines as the availability and price become bearable. A lot of the high dollar builds are using the new LT4 and LT5 crates.

Not anyone here from what I know doing the LT transplant yet. But it appears to be not much different from an LS swap which has been MANY times into a G-body. Would think all the little details needed for that transplant are pretty much the same for an LT. Headers that fit nicely, oil pan, adaption of the Monte fuel system, reprogramming the PCM, wiring harness, motor mounts, speedometer, must be a several other little hurdles to get over.

Lou, did you read through this post? Good info there on previous installs of an LS, dated info but the couple year old posts are worth reading. Some guys here with supercharged LS.
http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=576161#Post576161

Have you looked at Protouring.com
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum.php

https://lateral-g.net/forums/

Bob

#1068228 - 10/09/20 12:48 AM Re: Gen V LT1 Swap [Re: lambeau40]  
lambeau40 Offline
lambeau40  Offline

Benton, WI
Thanks for the links Bob! And yes, you are correct, LT, not LS. I haven't seen these sites before so that should help. Seems as though these LT's are just hitting the swap market so parts are still being developed. Oil pans, headers, fuel systems, front accessory drives, etc... are different from the LS. Haven't seen anyone who has an 8 speed yet either so we may be blazing new trails. We got the car out of storage tonight so the excitement is building! On another note, if anyone is interested in a 50K mile rolling chassis with factory engine and trans, let me know!

Thanks again!

#1068229 - 10/09/20 01:23 AM Re: Gen V LT1 Swap [Re: lambeau40]  
mmc427ss Offline
20+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
20+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
Here's a website I ran across. They sell LT into G headers. Do they fit properly, who knows. G's are hard to get good fitting headers, A/C suitcase can be a problem.
https://www.speed-engineering.com/l...-parts/exhaust/lt1-lt4-swap-headers.html
Bob

#1068230 - 10/09/20 12:37 PM Re: Gen V LT1 Swap [Re: lambeau40]  
Tunedss86 Offline
15+ Year
Tunedss86  Offline
15+ Year

Eastern Virginia
I have done the TPI, LT1 (90's), & now have an LS in my Monte. From what I have read, none of the new LT engines have provisions for power steering, but I believe Holley makes a front drive setup to incorporate a power steering pump. Your other hurdle will probably be exhaust, I don't know if the exhaust ports are the same as the LS. I did my LS swap before Holley had all their swap parts. I would check with them to find out if there are any parts they are working on to ease your swap. They may not be listed yet on their website.

Here is the power steering kit:
https://www.holley.com/products/acc.../power_steering_add-on_kits/parts/20-222

#1068231 - 10/09/20 12:57 PM Re: Gen V LT1 Swap [Re: lambeau40]  
Travis Jones Offline
10+ Year
Travis Jones  Offline
10+ Year

Ferndale, MI
BRP hotrods has a full line of LT stuff to get the motor in there

http://www.brphotrods.com/products/LTSeries/index.html

~ $2500 of goods to ensure it fits right, including 1 7/8 long tubes.

From there it's fuel system and electronics.

For EFI and ECU components its hard not to recommend the Holley Terminator MAX systems these days, the main catch is that it doesn't support the 8l90e only 4L60e (which are terrible) and the 4l80e.
https://www.holley.com/brands/holle...nd_x_max_gen_v_lt_direct_injection_kits/

If you're dead set on the 8l90e check out swap specialties, though I'm not sure if the 8l90e fits the tunnel well.
https://swapspecialties.com/product/lt-dbw-standalone-harness/

You'll probably want to use an LS style radiator and electric fan combo. Champion Radiator, Be Cool, Mishimoto and others make radiators with shrouds. One thing that I would not neglect is a giant automatic transmission cooler for the 8l90E.

for the fuel system you have a bunch of options, if you plan on staying natural aspirated I recommend using a 4.3l EFI Monte tank and Grand National Hanger, but if you use the factory ECM there's a little bit more you need to know about the Gen V fuel system
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/understanding-lt-direct-injection-fuel-system-swapping/

Concerning suspension, The UMI cornermax kit in the front is my favorite all in one kit. For the rear, there are conflicting opinions on this but as of late it seems to be popular to ditch the stock suspension geometry which will ALWAYS lift an inside rear tire, and run a 3 link with a watts link or a Panhard bar. I run this setup and a few other very fast G and A bodies run this setup, its been common on Mustangs for years. The easiest rear end choice for a 3 link is an 8.8 from a 2005-2013 Mustang. Obviously this requires fabrication, if you're less concerned about lap times, a Ford 8.8 or Ford 9 inch would be a good choice. Typically unless you want to be able to change the gear ratio easily I recommend an 8.8 over a 9inch, the 8.8 is lighter, has a more efficient gear set and with the same axle spline count is virtually as strong as a 9inch, especially if you add 9 inch ends to your axle housing

For brakes, I HIGHLY suggest you do the math on the willwood kit you plan on buying, many of the willwood 4 and even 6 piston components do not offer brake force improvement over even stock brakes. It's very easy to retrofit 4 and 6 piston brembo brakes from a similar vintage camaro, if you still have access to the chassis. Lance uses Stoptech brakes and has had good results with them. Another note, you absolutely DO NOT want fixed calipers on a c-clip rear axle, so you'd be fine with fixed (non sliding calipers) on a Ford 9 inch, but you'd need to put 9 inch ends on an 8.8, 12 bolt, 8.5 10 bolt, etc in order to use fixed calipers without running into pad knock back.

86 SS 6.0L LQ4, TBSS intake, Summit Stage 3 NA Cam, Stainless long tube headers, Stainless 3in exhaust, Microsquirt ECU, FABbot AR5 5-speed, Eaton Truetrac 8.8 LSD, QA1 Lvl 3 Front Suspension, 3-link Rear suspension w/ UMI Control Arms, UMI Front & Rear Braces.
#1068250 - 10/11/20 05:09 AM Re: Gen V LT1 Swap [Re: lambeau40]  
lambeau40 Offline
lambeau40  Offline

Benton, WI
All good info people!

Here's a little more about our project...
1987 Aero Coupe purchased in 1990 as a salvage title car with about 30K miles. It was hit in the front right corner. At the time, the frame was straightened and car repaired. However, its never been perfect. It now has about 55K miles.

About a year and a half ago I found a 1988 Monte SS that had been burnt. Some youngster had a thumping stereo wired incorrectly and it cooked the inside of the car. It had around 50K miles on it. We bought it, stripped it down to the frame and sold the rest. Since then the new frame has been sand blasted and painted.

This July the 6.2 and 8l90e with just over 7000 miles were purchased. This led to a spending frenzy! A new fuel tank, sender, and pump were ordered from Tanks Inc. We now have the UMI stage 2.5 suspension kit, including coil overs. We have a new Ford 9" rear end with 4 piston Wilwood disc brakes. And we have 6 piston front Wilwoods. Also have the 17x8 N90 wheels waiting for tires.

The plan is to get the new frame a roller yet this fall. Then we can work at getting the body off the car and get the body work started. The interior got stripped out as of yesterday so the ball is rolling now!

Next up is a dash from Dakota Digital, front end accessory drive kit from Concept 1 (including A/C compressor alternator and PS pump), headers, cross member, etc...

I'll try to update this post with pics as I get them. Thanks for all the help on this! Should be a fun build!

Last edited by lambeau40; 10/11/20 05:11 AM.
#1068252 - 10/11/20 07:45 PM Re: Gen V LT1 Swap [Re: lambeau40]  
mmc427ss Offline
20+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
20+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
Being this is a frame up build you have the advantage to make all the little tweaks to the chassis easily before paint and polish. What is the intended use for the car? There are chassis mods easily done on a bare frame which are very worthwhile for drags, autox, but for a pretty cruiser may just more overkill.

With higher hp, beat on the frame G-bodys cars, boxing the frame, notching the frame, gusseting rear control arm points, fixing the front right rear UCA point, fixing all the factory frame welds, and a few other mods will make the car a better overall performer. The G frame some say is a noodle, some time spent to increase rigidity will go a long way.
There are options now to just throw away entire G chassis with a crate chassis, but are a 5 digit cost.

Doing any of those above mods become much harder after you drive the car. Most of us have gone that more difficult route. Envy you for an empty canvas to start.
Bob

#1068262 - 10/13/20 05:11 PM Re: Gen V LT1 Swap [Re: lambeau40]  
lambeau40 Offline
lambeau40  Offline

Benton, WI
Here are a couple images of the car in its current state. Interior is out and the floor is in pretty bad shape. Looks like the rear window has been leaking since about 1987. Hoping to get the frame out this weekend and start bolting on the suspension parts. Received the center section of the rear end so just waiting on the axle housing now.
[img]https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1MMAtIngqrZ0Haa4d-TeDOT3gxjI_k9hB[/img]

#1068301 - 10/18/20 03:17 AM Re: Gen V LT1 Swap [Re: lambeau40]  
lambeau40 Offline
lambeau40  Offline

Benton, WI
Today we made good progress on the chassis. Front is all together, except for lug nuts. Speaking of which, does anyone know where I can get some factory looking 1/2-20 lug nuts?

The rear end we set in the car, mocked it up and then did some welding. We welded the coil over mounts and welded some brake hose holders. After that we removed the rear end and painted it. Tomorrow is rear axles, brakes, and wheels. All photos are in the Google folder above.

Random Images
500/thumbs/Blackberry_pics_0501.jpg
by wurx406
500/thumbs/P82400601.JPG
by Tx..MonteSS
500/thumbs/P1000400_2_.jpg
by Dan The Man 920
500/thumbs/Monte31.jpg
by PontiCarlo468
500/thumbs/thomas_027.jpg
by montessnut
Help MonteCarloSS.com