Next Thread
Print Thread
#1068181 - 10/03/20 05:53 AM Lost opportunity  
mmc427ss Offline
20+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
20+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
Today, Saturday, is an autox in Harrisburg, Pa. I stumbled across it a few days ago to see if my region had anything scheduled, last was mid July. I check their schedule often and this one just popped up, not much notice. When I looked at registration there was possible 187 cars. MAN that's a lot of cars.
Current more important issues wouldn't allow me to even think about going. And an event with even 125 cars is a LONG day. I'm thinking lots of people are hungry for some track time, me too, just doesn't look like it will be this season.

There is a Cruise Night in town tomorrow night. If my grand kids are available I'll see if they want to ride along. The 7 year old is a Bugatti fan, nope, won't see any of those in town. Cruising Pottstown, Pa back in the 60s-70s was a big event almost every night. It was featured in Car Craft as one of the best cruising place in America. One hundred foot wide 4 lane over a mile with cool turnarounds at each end. I raced a few cars light to light back then.
The 1000 watt stereos at midnight and urinating in the corners of the buildings put a end to the cruising. Changing to diagonal parking and only two lanes was the last nail driven. Now cruising is just a lot of noisy exhaust cars congested at a red light. But it's literally the only show in town.
Pick up the kids, make a few turnaround at Micky D, listen to then whine about getting a shake, "not in my car", then take then to a real ice cream parlor. I'm hungry for a hot fudge sundae.
Bob

#1068188 - 10/04/20 01:35 AM Re: Lost opportunity [Re: mmc427ss]  
T5montecarlo Offline
T5montecarlo  Offline

Lederach, PA
The last time I cruised at Pottstown was in the early 1990s in my 1979 Malibu wagon. Shortly afterwards, cruising was banned. I can remember seeing signs to the effect when I went back a few years later.

Bob, if there wasn't a pandemic, I would probably join you. Maybe next year or the year after.

Marc

#1068190 - 10/04/20 03:36 AM Re: Lost opportunity [Re: mmc427ss]  
mmc427ss Offline
20+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
20+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
The funny thing is the cruise on the first Sat of the month now replaces the car show on High St that would have been . A hundred cars now parked along the circuit, lots of social distancing. A lighter turn out I'd say for the last real event of the year locally.

Only had one in the car tonight, the 7 year old was riding shotgun in his car seat. He had an excellent view. At one point we sat on the Hill School wall and had a contest to pick the loudest car. He can now tell the difference between a 55 and 57. He does know his exotics, a Lambo, Ferrari, Porche, Viper by model. To many racing video games I guess. He allows me to drive the GN and crash it. when I play the game.

After our Happy Meals only had room for a real milk shake at the Dairy, hot fudge the next time.

Marc, one of these days I'm doing Lansdale and Wally World in Harleysville.
Bob

#1068191 - 10/04/20 12:01 PM Re: Lost opportunity [Re: mmc427ss]  
T5montecarlo Offline
T5montecarlo  Offline

Lederach, PA
I've never been to the Lansdale gathering. I have been to the Harleysville Walmart many times, but not for some time. Sometimes the Walmart show can be very large and they have to extend the show to another part of the lot.

I look forward to meeting you at the Walmart gathering next year or later.

Random Images
560/thumbs/IMG_4430.jpg
by STREET FIGHTER
1054/thumbs/Copy_of_100_1387.JPG
by CRANKSS
1166/thumbs/106682_06001bc8d8_low_res.jpg
by lonk
500/thumbs/eric1.JPG
by burley
500/thumbs/HPIM1975resize.JPG
by mikeasis
Help MonteCarloSS.com