CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1065071 - 02/08/20 07:40 PM Fuse box  
Ubowl Offline
Ubowl  Offline

Cape Coral Fl
Would anyone have knowledge of the left side connector on the fuse box in a 1988 Monte SS. More importantly the white wire coming from it. Where does it tie into Can’t find any info on fuse box wiring anywhere

Last edited by Ubowl; 02/08/20 07:41 PM. Reason: Spelling
#1065072 - 02/08/20 10:37 PM Re: Fuse box [Re: Ubowl]  
AkronAero Offline
10+ Year
AkronAero  Offline
10+ Year

Akron OH
UB - there is a 25 Amp fuse in the center of the block for the Wiper/Washer.
It is HOT in ACC or RUN mode.
I think, from looking at the wiring diagram, it is the only white wire coming out of the block.
Check it out and let me know.
If you want, I can send a PDF of parts of the wiring diagram (many pages) dealing with the fuse block (or other parts) if you PM me your e-mail address and specific needs...
Good Hunting!
Gordon

#1065073 - 02/08/20 11:04 PM Re: Fuse box [Re: Ubowl]  
AkronAero Offline
10+ Year
AkronAero  Offline
10+ Year

Akron OH
More info
Elsewhere, the plug on the left side is identified as C-209.
It has 11 connections in a row.
The second down is White - "Interior Lights: Dome/Courtesy/ (switched ground)"
It is not coming directly from the fuse block - rather connects door jamb switch to light switch and footwell/courtesy lights....
The wiper does NOT go through this plug.
Is something not working? What brought you to this inquiry?
Heading out but will reply soon...
Gordon

#1065089 - 02/12/20 10:13 PM Re: Fuse box [Re: AkronAero]  
tom demarco Offline
tom demarco  Offline

Burlington
Hi Gordon my 85 SS never had power to the trunk light, I believe it is on the courtesy corcuit and everything else works , where does the orange wire go I dont want to tear up the interior carpet and thoughts

Tom

#1065092 - 02/12/20 11:05 PM Re: Fuse box [Re: Ubowl]  
AkronAero Offline
10+ Year
AkronAero  Offline
10+ Year

Akron OH
Tom - same circuit and common connections with dome/reading lights, rear quarter lights and even vanity mirror lights etc.
They are activated when their specific switch makes a ground and bad grounding problems are common.
See if you can:
1) Get power at the bulb, which is upstream of the mercury grounding switch.
2) If so, by-pass the switch grounding and make an intentional ground, and check to see the light is not burned out or damaged.
The cable from trunk lid enters body above left rear fender.
I can not recall if it goes down to the floor or, actually, up to the sail panel?
Let me know.
Others chime in please.
Gordon

#1065094 - 02/13/20 12:36 AM Re: Fuse box [Re: Ubowl]  
tom demarco Offline
tom demarco  Offline

Burlington
Thanks Gorden no power at orange wire in trunk I know all these circuits are ground switched. I thought I saw a diagram showing something where orange wire runs to a quarter light but that makes no sense to me I hate to remove seats etc all new headliner carpet etc. and dont want to run 12v to trunk under car dome light all interior lights work there must be a break or junction block somewhere Thanks for the help I could try continuity from dome light but we both know it will be open unless the dome light is in series and the dome light connection wire to trunk may be broken at dome light I will pull dome light and see, Any more thoughts please help

Thanks Gorden

#1065096 - 02/13/20 04:20 AM Re: Fuse box [Re: Ubowl]  
AkronAero Offline
10+ Year
AkronAero  Offline
10+ Year

Akron OH
Tom - Not always enough info in the manual and the points are sometimes mislabelled.

Your cut off is Component C353, a "19 cavity (junction) block located under the left hand side of the instrument panel at the shroud" probably near the fuse block.
Looks more like a 2x6, large, with maybe twin plugs, not all used. I will try to look tomorrow...
On the side with all six sockets having plugs (the other side only uses three), you want the third one from the left.
In that drawing, it appears a single line running directly back to the trunk, but who knows.

In hindsight I should have taken many more pics with I gutted and restored my car a few years back.

Your backup plan could be to cut and secure the incoming (not working) power and run a seperate line up from the tail light or side market on the left rear.
At least you'd have light when car lights on?

Others?

Gordon

#1065103 - 02/13/20 09:38 PM Re: Fuse box [Re: Ubowl]  
tom demarco Offline
tom demarco  Offline

Burlington
Thanks Gorden I have a key on power line in the trunk for my vacuum pump Cam is too big I could do that also, appreciate your help nice making new friends I cant seem to find this junction block I do have the monte service manual not the friendllist to follow with splices and color changes. Take care Thanks keep in touch

Random Images
500/thumbs/DCP01731.JPG
by BAD ASS 87
989/thumbs/my_monte_12.jpg
by 85montanezcarloss
500/thumbs/DSCN3957.JPG
by NY GiantSS
564/thumbs/oscars_LS_MONTE_CARLO_003.jpg
by Big Reazon
500/thumbs/100_1275.jpg
by RocknSS
Help MonteCarloSS.com