MonteCarloSS.com
MonteCarloSS.com

CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1064338 - 12/02/19 04:31 PM Anti Roll Bars - Who Has One?  
BadSS Offline
15+ Year
BadSS  Offline
15+ Year

Pearl, MS, 39208
I’ve been putting off the purchase for a while and ready to take advantage of either the current sales or Christmas sales if I can’t make my mind up soon.

I’ve narrowed it down to the Spohn adjustable or the UMI 1” bar. I like the mounts on the BMR bar but I’ve seen one photo that appears to me the arms in the bar are too short for a near vertical alignment of the end link.

Anyone using any of these bars? Your experience with them would be appreciated.

I’ll drag race more than road race the car but wanted to have something that would pull double duty. Thanks in advance for your time.

Original owner of 1985 SS black hardtop w/gray interior. Frame-on restoration - 406 sleeper w/ heavily ported FIRST TPI. However the 1.875" headers, 3.5" duals, TH400, Ford 9", notched frame, and 10-point cage w/swing-out bars might tip you off it's not a lil' ole 305 TPI. Other mods: 2" drop, 18" wheels, f/r disk brakes, and custom stereo system.
#1064340 - 12/02/19 06:46 PM Re: Anti Roll Bars - Who Has One? [Re: BadSS]  
mmc427ss Offline
15+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
15+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
Kevin I have the Spohn adj 7/8" Pro Touring bar installed in the 86. Spohn along with Marcus (SC&C) developed that bar.
https://www.spohn.net/shop/1978-198...e-Rear-Sway-Bar-1978-1987-GM-G-Body.html

It's installed on an 8 1/2" rear which makes install more difficult. On a 9" there should be less of a problem. One of the ears on the 8 1/2 needed to be removed, a 1/2' spacer at the rear mounts had to be added to drop the bar lower. These done so when the bar rotates from ride height to full compression the bar doesn't hit the rear. A talk with Marcus when I had those issues he admitted they test fit the bar on a 7 1/2 and 9" rear, never an 8 1/2''. My mods fixed the problem with interference.

When you install any of these link bars on the market as you change the rate the links will are not vertical in every position. What they want you to do is loosen the U-bolts on the housing and rotate the bar around the rear to put the link in a vertical position again. Being I drag race, full firm, street drive, full soft and autox the bar rate was changed often. Loosening the U-bolts was not something I wanted to do. So new frame mounts were made for the top of the link attachment with three location corresponding to the three holes in the bar. Also a gusset was added and now 5 bolts are used to hold that new bracket in place. Much more substantial, probably overkill, but i know it's not stressing the bracket or frame. To change the rate now all you do is remove the link from one side, move the link to the new holes on the other side and reinstall the link in the other side. No rotating the bar to get the links vertical.

Lance is using the UMI adj bar on a 9", maybe he'll jump in.

For drag racing some will use the big fat link bars. For a street car they are not advisable, way to much rate in the rear.
https://www.spohn.net/shop/1978-198...-Body-Pro-Series-Rear-Drag-Sway-Bar.html
https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=31&superpro=0
Bob

#1064348 - 12/03/19 03:41 AM Re: Anti Roll Bars - Who Has One? [Re: BadSS]  
BadSS Offline
15+ Year
BadSS  Offline
15+ Year

Pearl, MS, 39208
Thanks for the information Bob! I was wondering about whether or not the manufacturers recommended rotating the brackets on the housing to line things up or not. I've seen some rotated and guess it would be fine if you didn't want to have it serve multiple purposes. I don't like the idea of loosening and rotating at all. Definitely like the idea of adding custom upper frame mounts for easy and "proper" adjustments - you know what they say about imitation!!! lol

So, if I'm going to do the custom upper bracket, the length of the bar's ends shouldn't matter. However, I'm leaning more toward the middle of the road 1" UMI bar ($367 with Jegs Cyber Monday Promo discount). I'm not planning on doing a lot of racing, but the ratio of drag racing to road course racing would still probably be 10 to 1.

Thanks again, Kevin

Edit - went ahead and ordered the UMI 1" hollow bar and a rear shock tower brace. Figured if I ended up doing rear coil overs that would provide a little extra support.

Last edited by BadSS; 12/03/19 04:26 AM.
#1064349 - 12/03/19 04:47 AM Re: Anti Roll Bars - Who Has One? [Re: BadSS]  
mmc427ss Offline
15+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
15+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
If you would want a couple pics of the link frame brackets I made I could send them to you. PM me an email address if you need pics.

Installed the UMI shock tower brace a few years ago. Always thought someday I would weld in another crossmember between the frame rails just ahead of the gas tank. The UMI brace took care of that need.
Bob

Random Images
500/thumbs/new_rims1.JPG
by 88ss87ss
500/thumbs/MVC-020S.JPG
by lord85ss
500/thumbs/DSC_0429.JPG
by Leon
500/thumbs/MikePEI81_Outside.jpg
by MikePEI
594/thumbs/100_0354.JPG
by Kyrik