Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1063189 - 08/17/19 01:16 AM UMI: King O T Mountain event  
mmc427ss Offline
15+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
15+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
Next Fri, Aug 23, will be taking the 86 for a 200 mile trip to the UMI King Of The Mountain event. in Clearfield, Pa, weather permitting. Booked a room at the host hotel months ago, hard to believe that weekend is already here. Initially only reserved a room for myself and a best friend, not the wife, but after they announce the runoff will be "under the lights" Sat evening booked another night, decided to leave after breakfast on Sun. As with car racing and car events you keep your fingers crossed and hope for a good weekend. For me I don't venture out in the rain with the 86. Will take the wife's 02 SS only if necessary.

Should be a great weekend of autox, lots of the top cars/drivers will be there from all over the country. Won't be running my car, need it to stay in one piece for the drive home. Besides I'm way out of the league of the drivers competing. Unser, Popp, Schwartz, Possi, just to name a few I'm looking forward to seeing run there machines. Should be a great time, highlight of this years car season.
Bob

#1063196 - 08/17/19 03:17 PM Re: UMI: King O T Mountain event [Re: mmc427ss]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
So wish I could be up there, it's killing me to miss this. SO many people from my racing family will be up there including friends from KC, SCCA racing circles, Good Guys racing circles, even neighbors from the Phoenix area.

I wish Ryan, Ramey, Jeremy, Roger, Nate and the rest of the UMI peeps great success for the event this weekend, no doubt this is the pick of the litter of autocross events Countrywide to participate in...the entry list proves this.

Will be watching along online and living vicariously through those that are there in person. Good luck on your trip up Bob, I'm certain you'll have a blast.

Lance
1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car
#1063198 - 08/17/19 08:55 PM Re: UMI: King O T Mountain event [Re: mmc427ss]  
Crusher Offline
15+ Year
Crusher  Offline
15+ Year

Jersey Shore
Seen the UMI Pontiac running at Good Guys Show in York, Pa today.

1988 502/502
ProCharger SC
Fast XFI Fuel Inj.
564 RWHP 574 TQ
http://SSMonteCarlo.com
#1063200 - 08/18/19 02:46 AM Re: UMI: King O T Mountain event [Re: mmc427ss]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
Did you get any ride alongs Kevin?

Lance
#1063201 - 08/18/19 03:45 AM Re: UMI: King O T Mountain event [Re: mmc427ss]  
mmc427ss Offline
15+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
15+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
Saw several of the cars/drivers that would be at York were also going to be at UMI a week later. Guess if you haul a car from WWAAYY out west to the east you would try to do a few events.
Had to be a little warm at York this weekend. Kevin is a cool customer, but don't think a ride on the Wild Mouse is his pleasure. First time I got a ride-a-long was 10 years ago in a Grand Sport Vette, Hoosiers, and I likened it to the Wild Mouse at the local fair. The very old parking lot was on the side of a hill with lots of rises and dips, cars where bottoming out in the dips. The Vette was the 2nd quickest car of the day. Good choice for a ride-a-long.

Two of the UMI driver's I've been at autox events with. Strano was at Hershey when i ran there, he set up the course and was i think quickest around it that day. At Harrisburg autox Justin Peachey in his Vette ran in front of me a few times, he's really good! A few of the other UMI regulars, the El Camino, 4th Gen F were at events I ran at. Good bunch of guys, competitive, not afraid to beat on their cars.
Bob

#1063206 - 08/18/19 10:41 PM Re: UMI: King O T Mountain event [Re: SSLance]  
Crusher Offline
15+ Year
Crusher  Offline
15+ Year

Jersey Shore
Originally Posted by SSLance
Did you get any ride alongs Kevin?

No, not for me. I don't do good with those sort of things. A swivel rocking chair makes me dizzy. LOL

1988 502/502
ProCharger SC
Fast XFI Fuel Inj.
564 RWHP 574 TQ
#1063314 - 08/26/19 01:55 AM Re: UMI: King O T Mountain event [Re: mmc427ss]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
Bump for the recap... Come on already Bob, tell us how much fun you had!!!!

Lance
#1063329 - 08/27/19 05:18 AM Re: UMI: King O T Mountain event [Re: mmc427ss]  
mmc427ss Offline
15+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
15+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
WOW!!!!! It was a great weekend watching 70 cars, talented drivers, going around a difficult course, unlike any autox I've been to. The facility, the UMI staff, the people, the whole thing ran almost like clockwork. In corner carving auto racing the atmosphere is different, like family picnics, everyone is looking out for each other. Have been to numerous autox, hill climbs, and it's much different than what goes on at drag racing. When I go drag racing I chain my stuff to a fence post, at these type events you can leave things lay and know they will be there later.

After the 5 hour drive arrived at UMI park. It rained for the first hour of travel, not something I normally do in the 86, drive it in the rain. But the car dried out running down Rt 80 at 72 mph for a few hours. Gotta love cruise control and a T56. Arrived at the track and immediately knew it was a going to be a fun weekend. Viewing the car field from above at the grandstands you could quickly pick out cars you have only seen in videos. WOW.

Spotted Aaron Oberle's 65 Chevelle right away, not the prettiest car there but distinctive, very well built and fast. Made our way down to the pit area and watched a few cars on track, then made it a point to say hi to him. What a nice guy, easy to talk to . It was after the lunch break that I asked it he was doing ride-alongs, YES, got three trips around the track in his car. Had brought my helmet along with me hoping for a ride from someone. THANK YOU Aaron.

Fri was a test day but also a qualifying day for possibly getting into the 32 car shootout. Aaron's car was I think #7 in mph at the finish and got a birth into the shootout, good for him, he earned it. He may also have gotten in by consistence, not sure which was the case, hard to tell not seeing any numbers for the event. Timed runs on Fri ended about 4:30. Everyone got a lot of runs in, maybe 12 or more for the day. Typically at an autox event if you get 4 runs in it was a good day. And to make thing easy for the competitors UMI supplied all the corner workers, awesome.

A trip to the host hotel to register, a quick wash up and off to UMI factory for an open house at 6. A really nice diner was served and you could walk through the plant and see how UMI has turned up the parts availability with a well organized plant. Have been through Spohn's factory several years ago, several other car parts manufactures, have worked several factory jobs and have a good idea what it takes to get parts out the door. UMI has got it, they can get stuff out the door.
Ryan Kirkwood, owner UMI, is a great guy, he gets it. We spoke numerous times over the weekend. Even ran into him in the hotel lobby Sat night after the event, he has time for you. I couldn't thank him enough for what a great weekend it was.

Sat morning back to the track around 10 am, things are a little more serious, time to think about making the 32 car field. Drivers pushing the cars to get into the field on time. You could see it as they ran the course. By 3 or so the field was set, then came time for some fun runs.

The 32 car field is announced, Aaron is in, YES. At sunset the national anthem, time to have the runoffs under the lights which UMI had just updated. Again a great job. Bill and I decided to stay in the infield for the night, got front row seats 50' from the first straight and could see almost the entire course. You really have to hand it to those drivers, they must see pretty good to run at those speeds avoiding cones, "under the lights". Impressive!!!

Aaron survives the first round of 32, his competitor in that round lost the handle on his Vette and tagged the guardrail hard at the finish. That was the only mishap of the weekend, says something about the quality of the driving. A few spin outs yes, nothing serious otherwise. The course was lengthened to a slalom running around turn 3 and 4 to the old finish line on the oval for the shoot out. None of the drivers had previously ran that added section on the high banked corners and the banked front straight, that made for a very interesting shootout. Each of the 32 cars got two runs for best time against the other car in the first round. The best time moved on to the 16. Now at 16 cars it's one run and your in or going home, Aaron got beat by a very fast EVO, of all things, which was a h a professional car and driver.

The ladder from 32 to 2 goes pretty quickly, only one car on track during the shootout at a time running the course, so a car every minute or so a run. Also you know the speeds they are running around turn 4 into the slalom on the high bank straight may be a deciding factor on cone count. Saw several really fast cars hit a cone or two there taking them out of the show. The sweet 2017 Vette from CA that tagged the guardrail pretty early in eliminations 50' from the where the cars were pitted, that may have helped the other guys get to the finish.

Well after several of the top contenders got knocked out, Popp, Strano, Peachy, Finch, Unser it was down to two, a 2011 Vette and the Silent Assassin, a 2019 Tesla 3. You could feel the tension in the air, how can you have an electric car beat all these high test, gas sniffing monsters. On the final two runs for the 10 grand they turned off the display that showed the cars times to increase the drama of who won. After several minute the announcer, Chad Reynolds of Bangshift, had the two cars/drivers sitting side by side to announce the winner. And the winner, by 8 hundredths of a second is the Vette. WOW again, thank goodness. American muscle prevails, but not by much. Jeremy Swenson was the deserving winner, he moved through the ladder by skill and a really fast car. Congrades!
To the credit of the Tesla it was FAST, handle great on those Kumho ACR tires, just didn't make any noise, but had a race driver behind the wheel. John Laughlin is a race car driver, and a good one. It was fun watching what my grandkids will be driving at the autox in a few years, cars that make no noise.

Sun sleep in a little, breakfast, out the door at 9:30 for the 250 mile ride home. I think we talked about the event all the way back. What a great event, excellent weather although chilly, actually cold Sat night, already know it's on the list for next year. If you like seeing cars, drivers, pushing to the limits on a difficult setup it's a must see. Don't think, well I know, to old, to slow, to do anything but spectate.

Oh Lance, got a kick out of "who's that?"
Bob

#1063338 - 08/27/19 02:16 PM Re: UMI: King O T Mountain event [Re: mmc427ss]  
Crusher Offline
15+ Year
Crusher  Offline
15+ Year

Jersey Shore
Frank and I went last year. Great event and venue for sure. Also did the dinner and factory tour. Located sort of in a residential area. Will try and make next years.

Thanks for the recap Bob. Did you make it up on the hill that overlooks the track where the campers usually go? Great view of the entire track.

1988 502/502
ProCharger SC
Fast XFI Fuel Inj.
564 RWHP 574 TQ
#1063339 - 08/27/19 03:23 PM Re: UMI: King O T Mountain event [Re: mmc427ss]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
Great recap Bob, glad you had a good time up there. From what I witnessed on the live feed and the looks of my timeline feed on Facebook, everyone had pretty much the same experience. Pretty happy for Ryan, Ramey and the rest of the UMI team on how this all went.

Here is the bracket results for the 32 car shootout.

[Linked Image]

I just have to say the detail with which UMI presented the data to the live audience throughout the whole weekend was revolutionary. It has forever raised the bar for event coverage for our sport...the rest need to step it up big time.

Here is a link to the whole 2 hour 44 minute live feed video of the 32 car shootout, you can skip around in it to see your driver and how they advanced or didn't. Final race was at about 2:12 or so.

https://www.facebook.com/umimotorsportspark/videos/412342052736184/?hc_location=ufi

And this is the 4 wide parade laps recorded by Mary Pozzi herself...

https://www.facebook.com/mary.pozzi.9/videos/10219529590018755/?hc_location=ufi

To see guys like Cory Carsestan and Chuck Trimble that I have helped over the years and who basically followed my prescription to get their cars to handle...be competitive in a field like this was awesome. I have raced Aaron Oberle's Chevelle before, 3 of the guys in the top 32 have driven my car on track, and I have raced against over half of the top 32 at some point...so I had a real personal connection with a LOT of people that were there. Trust me when I say it KILLED me to not be there. Next year...I'll be there in some sort or another for sure.

Lance
#1063340 - 08/27/19 03:29 PM Re: UMI: King O T Mountain event [Re: mmc427ss]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
Here are the parade laps from atop Aaron's Chevelle. At about 3 minutes in you'll see Chris Jacobs White Corvette real slow on track, he blew his rear diff on the parade laps. Dan Ballard pulled his Nova back out of his trailer and let Chris drive it for the shootout...that is how this crowd rolls.

https://youtu.be/oXTArTjY6aQ

Lance
#1063341 - 08/27/19 03:39 PM Re: UMI: King O T Mountain event [Re: mmc427ss]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
Can't leave out the burnout video

https://www.facebook.com/jeremy.swenson.52/videos/10215743121357134/

Jeremy lost a throwout bearing Friday morning on a warmup run. They took the car to UMI's shop and tore the complete drivetrain out of the car, replaced the bearing, go ti tall back together in time to make it back to the track and make a couple of qualifying runs. Those runs along with is top qualifying spot on Saturday got him into the show and let him reap the rewards when it was all done. He earned every bit of that ten grand payout...

Lance
#1063344 - 08/27/19 05:51 PM Re: UMI: King O T Mountain event [Re: mmc427ss]  
mmc427ss Offline
15+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
15+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
I looked at Cory's car several times, talked to him later about what's he's running in the rear, nice to see an old Gen 1 under the hood in the sea of LS. Chuck's Malibu is sneaky fast, doesn't make a lot of noise on course but turned in great times.

Here's a video from Justin Peachy of his last run in the shoot out, needs to beat Danny Popp. Oh so close! When I ran Harrisburg last Fall he ran right behind me several times. The kid is fast, only a cart was faster than him that day. Someone to be reckoned with as he matures.

https://www.facebook.com/justpeache...ODQ3NzkyMDM2OTY3MjoyMzAyNTA1MDExOTI0MTM/

Kevin, next year come to the shoot out instead of UMI's open house.
Bob

#1063345 - 08/27/19 06:10 PM Re: UMI: King O T Mountain event [Re: mmc427ss]  
MC96 Offline
MC96  Offline

St. Johns MI
Me and Cory have chatted, hes got the 3 piece IMCA metric spindles up front. UMI made him a custom bracket to put C5 brakes on them, pretty dope.

Its a cool ride

Congrats to all of those guys on the success of the event. Got a lot of local press with the general population and press within the industry.

PRI and the next group of invitees is around the corner

86 SS
400SBC, 4l80e, MSD Atomic injection/trans controller, Tilt glass clip, all tubular arms, corvette brakes, 9" rear
In progress
#1063362 - 08/28/19 10:50 PM Re: UMI: King O T Mountain event [Re: mmc427ss]  
Warriorridge Offline
Warriorridge  Offline

Petersburg PA
Hey, I didn't know you were there, I would have tried to find you and say hello, would have been cool to meet in person. It was definitely a good race, wasn't expecting that ending at all. I brought some friends and family along, I think everyone enjoyed it. The UMI people are good people.

#1063373 - 08/29/19 02:43 PM Re: UMI: King O T Mountain event [Re: mmc427ss]  
ramey36 Offline
ramey36  Offline

Philipsburg, PA
Hey Bob. Thanks for coming and we are glad you had a good time! Sorry I didn't get to chat much. I didn't even have a particular job duty other than to worry about the event the whole time.

I drove the UMI '71 during the parade laps. I really wanted to drop the hammer. After 9000 laps there it feels like home.

Cory and Chuck did great. It's a tall order to run with Strano, Swenson, Popp, and Curley in a G-body so no stress there. One thing's for sure is we will keep working on them and having fun in the Green car.

Thanks for all the kind words and we'll do our best to keep this event going!

ramey

#1063374 - 08/29/19 03:00 PM Re: UMI: King O T Mountain event [Re: mmc427ss]  
MC96 Offline
MC96  Offline

St. Johns MI
Ramey, Where does the green car fall in raw time compared with the field of 32?

86 SS
400SBC, 4l80e, MSD Atomic injection/trans controller, Tilt glass clip, all tubular arms, corvette brakes, 9" rear
In progress
#1063375 - 08/29/19 05:45 PM Re: UMI: King O T Mountain event [Re: MC96]  
ramey36 Offline
ramey36  Offline

Philipsburg, PA
That's a good question. I haven't run it against many of the top-30 or so. I'd be inclined to think it would be around 20-25 ish. Put Sam in it and it would be top 15...

#1063377 - 08/29/19 06:18 PM Re: UMI: King O T Mountain event [Re: mmc427ss]  
MC96 Offline
MC96  Offline

St. Johns MI
Next you you oughta throw all the UMI cars around the course once, just to show where they benchmark against the best of the best.

86 SS
In progress
#1063447 - 09/05/19 03:53 AM Re: UMI: King O T Mountain event [Re: mmc427ss]  
mmc427ss Offline
15+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
15+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
Now that some time has passed lots of video to watch of the event. Here and on the tube.
https://www.facebook.com/UMIKingoftheMountain/

Best car event I've ever been to! Trying to figure out how to get up there to run the car on an off week, great place to find out how bad the car is. Already have been thinking about how to get the rear end stick better, more meat would help but ain't the fix. This is what happens when you watch a lot of really good cars run really fast on a real course, the wheels in your head get to spinning.
Bob

#1063458 - 09/05/19 05:47 PM Re: UMI: King O T Mountain event [Re: mmc427ss]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
A couple rides in a 650 hp powered corner sticking beast helps get those wheels spinning as well doesn't it? laugh

Someday you need to call and tell me your impression of those ridealongs in person.

Lance
#1063476 - 09/06/19 08:38 PM Re: UMI: King O T Mountain event [Re: mmc427ss]  
PB86SS/87LS Online beer
Administrator
15+ Year
PB86SS/87LS  Online Beer
Administrator
15+ Year

New Berlin, WI
Originally Posted by mmc427ss
I looked at Cory's car several times, talked to him later about what's he's running in the rear, nice to see an old Gen 1 under the hood in the sea of LS. Chuck's Malibu is sneaky fast, doesn't make a lot of noise on course but turned in great times.

Here's a video from Justin Peachy of his last run in the shoot out, needs to beat Danny Popp. Oh so close! When I ran Harrisburg last Fall he ran right behind me several times. The kid is fast, only a cart was faster than him that day. Someone to be reckoned with as he matures.

https://www.facebook.com/justpeache...ODQ3NzkyMDM2OTY3MjoyMzAyNTA1MDExOTI0MTM/

Kevin, next year come to the shoot out instead of UMI's open house.
Bob

Glad you caught up to Cory to see his Monte Bob. I know Cory (not sure if he's a member here) and have run into him a few times but never saw his SS first hand.

-86'SS 383 CCC QJet- BRF 2004r-8.5" 3.42 -313/344@RW - 13.35 @103
-87'LS 350 MAF/SD TPI- CRF 2004r-7.5" 3.42 -248/340@RW - 14.55 @ 96
-81'Grand LeMans Safari Wagon 3.8 2bbl/200C/2.73
-07'TBSS Stockish daily driver
[Linked Image]
#1063488 - 09/07/19 07:18 PM Re: UMI: King O T Mountain event [Re: mmc427ss]  
mmc427ss Offline
15+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
15+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
Cory and his crew were between runs when I saw him and asked about his rear setup which is nothing fancy. The car corners very good, tires, tires, tires.

There wasn't many cars there that didn't have a massive amount of hp. The 1st Gen white Camaro with the youngster was impressive for what it was. His father bought it new and drag raced it for many years, then spent a long time under a carport. When I talked to him and looked inside the car. "it's a Muncie?" Probably the only car there with a 4 spd, old school, neat.

Can't wait for next year.
Bob

#1063539 - 09/14/19 07:50 PM Re: UMI: King O T Mountain event [Re: mmc427ss]  
Crusher Offline
15+ Year
Crusher  Offline
15+ Year

Jersey Shore
Is there a date for next year yet? My social calendar fills up fast.

1988 502/502
ProCharger SC
Fast XFI Fuel Inj.
564 RWHP 574 TQ
#1063545 - 09/15/19 06:33 AM Re: UMI: King O T Mountain event [Re: mmc427ss]  
mmc427ss Offline
15+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
15+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
Are ya lookin to race that car?