MonteCarloSS.com
MonteCarloSS.com

CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1063113 - 08/12/19 10:40 AM Waking from the dead (carb)  
Headstrong Offline
Headstrong  Offline

boston, ma.
Hello, my SS has sat for over a decade.
To give you an idea, ethanol fuel wasn't really a thing, the fuel in the tank has mtbe.lol
My question is I know I'll most likely have to clean out the carb, rebuild it.

1)Do the rebuild kits today have parts that the ethanol fuel won't eat (needle/seat seal/float)
and if so, how does one tell the kits that have been upgraded to the old stock that might still be floating around out there that was made before the switch from mtbe to ethanol.?

2) I'm going to guess that the ccc q-jet has a tbs on it and testing that should be straight forward, but what about the other electric parts on them?
how do you test them or clean unstick one that might be stuck from sitting in old gas for decade plus. or not I'd guess the fuel in the bowl evaporated long ago. but still not sure on what/how to deal with this. and if they need to be replaced, who makes good replacements?

3) Do these ccc jets suffer from the throttle shaft wear that the older q-jets did.
The car is low miles, well low miles by todays standard at under 80k. but not collector car low miles.

4) does anyone repop a steel tank or make an alum talk for our cars a g body tank with the efi pump baffles ? Incase I decide to change to efi down the road.

Thanks for any help on this.
It is going to be fun draining a full fuel tank of 94 mtbe gas from the tank.

Have a great day.
Mark

#1063119 - 08/12/19 01:18 PM Re: Waking from the dead (carb) [Re: Headstrong]  
T5montecarlo Offline
T5montecarlo  Offline

Lederach, PA
1.) Yes. I recently bought a kit that was advertised as friendly with modern fuel.
Buy a new brass float. I had trouble in the 90s with plastic floats failing. The new plastic floats claim to be OK with modern fuel, but I still don't trust them after my experience.

2.) Buy a new TPS; it is a pain to replace it if you find it fails shortly after using your rebuilt carburetor.
My mixture control solenoid was stuck, but with 1 gentle push, it became unstuck and works properly. These rarely fail.

3.) Yes. Mine wore in the 40-50k range. I bought a drill and bushing kit and repaired it. Now at 72k, still no wear.

I suggest getting a good dip for the carburetor. I bought ChemDip and some plastic tubs. Although it is not the same formula as it was in the 90s. I let my parts soak for 24 hours. Be careful with some very small parts; the springs on the primary jets did not like the 24-hour soak, but the other parts were OK. After washing the parts with water, have some oil or WD-40 ready as the small steel parts will flash rust.

#1063120 - 08/12/19 01:23 PM Re: Waking from the dead (carb) [Re: Headstrong]  
T5montecarlo Offline
T5montecarlo  Offline

Lederach, PA
The carburetor that I recently rebuilt also sat for 10 years; the float bowl was quite crusty and required some scraping even after the 24-hour dip. I didn't drain the tank and the car still runs OK in the driveway. I diluted it with some fresh fuel but it still is dark in color and smells bad.

I contacted ChemDip and asked about the old formula. The old formula ChemDip can still be bought, but only in a 5-gallon pail, but I didn't know where to get it and had no place to store a 5-gallon bucket of the stuff.

#1063139 - 08/13/19 01:12 AM Re: Waking from the dead (carb) [Re: Headstrong]  
86ttop Online grandpa
20+ Year
86ttop  Online Grandpa
20+ Year

Brooksville, Fl
I use and recommend www.customrebuiltcarbs.com Quick turnaround and basically bolt on and go, click on my link and give them a call and good luck with your car!!

Leo Paugh
It's not an attitude, it's just the way I am.
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
If things improve with age, I must be approaching magnificent. thumbs
#1063167 - 08/13/19 09:09 PM Re: Waking from the dead (carb) [Re: Headstrong]  
T5montecarlo Offline
T5montecarlo  Offline

Lederach, PA
The mixture control solenoid dwell will still need to be adjusted, even when the set by the proper gauges/standards.
Many times, the mixture screws need to be readjusted before the mixture control solenoid dwell will respond properly.

#1063174 - 08/14/19 01:16 AM Re: Waking from the dead (carb) [Re: Headstrong]  
86ttop Online grandpa
20+ Year
86ttop  Online Grandpa
20+ Year

Brooksville, Fl
Maybe, I didn't have to adjust it on the carbs done for me at the above facility. YMMV!!

Leo Paugh
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
#1063178 - 08/14/19 02:23 AM Re: Waking from the dead (carb) [Re: Headstrong]  
Buick Runner Offline
10+ Year
Buick Runner  Offline
10+ Year

Dharma station 1 the Hydra
At the very least, the dwell will need to be checked, generally if any adjustment is needed,,its only the idle air bleed valve.

SBC powered 1987 Regal with TES headers, ZZ4 intake, ZZ4 PROM chip, mini starter, THM2004R, 2500 stall converter, 2040 cam, CCC system, and 3.73 posi rear.

2008 ex NPS P71 Crown Victoria, cop motor, cop shocks, cop brakes.

Never argue with an idiot.
They will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
#1063180 - 08/14/19 05:57 AM Re: Waking from the dead (carb) [Re: Headstrong]  
Headstrong Offline
Headstrong  Offline

boston, ma.
Thanks for the link to a rebuilder. but I'm more of a DIY .

#1063182 - 08/15/19 01:01 AM Re: Waking from the dead (carb) [Re: Headstrong]  
86ttop Online grandpa
20+ Year
86ttop  Online Grandpa
20+ Year

Brooksville, Fl
Suit yourself, he is an expert!!

Leo Paugh
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
#1063253 - 08/21/19 06:08 AM Re: Waking from the dead (carb) [Re: 86ttop]  
Headstrong Offline
Headstrong  Offline

boston, ma.
Originally Posted by 86ttop
Suit yourself, he is an expert!!

That's great.
But, I think I'll manage, Good to know someone does them, but. the ccc q-jet is short term. it'll get efi down the road, no need to spend What an "expert" charges, on a part that will sit under a bench with the original 305. when mothballed for a 355

#1063261 - 08/21/19 05:06 PM Re: Waking from the dead (carb) [Re: Headstrong]  
ChasUno Offline
ChasUno  Offline

Bradenton, FL
Your Q-Jet may only be short term, however, if you do rebuild/ replace parts they HAVE to be set correctly else the engine will run poorly. They're not like a traditional carb where you can tweak by ear, they have components that can adversely affect other parts of the CCC if not set within factory parameters. It also requires some special tools to make adjustments, plus a way of reading some of the sensors while you carry out these adjustments.

At the bare minimum, you need to be able to read the TPS and the MCS dwell. A used Brainmaster scanner can do this, as well as read all the other CCC sensors and parameters. You can use a traditional dwell meter for the MCS, and also a multi meter backprobed on the TPS. You also need a special sized nut driver to adjust the TPS screw (factory tools available at a price, alternatives available, or one can be fabricated from appropriate sized tubing). It would also help to be able to read the O2 sensor as tweaking the MCS and mixture screws can affect it, again, the Brainmaster scanner can do that.

The reason the Q-Jet and CCC system gets bad press is because many people mess with it thinking that it behaves like a carburetor. Then the settings are all over the place and it runs like a dog. The Q-Jet is almost a hybrid throttle body, with the mixture strength regulated by the ECM. When set up to factory specs, it runs very well and reliably. But if you don't have the tools or information to set it correctly, or it has sensors malfunctioning, it will never run right no matter how much you manually adjust it.

Last edited by ChasUno; 08/21/19 10:24 PM.

1986 Monte Carlo SS

[Linked Image]
#1063262 - 08/21/19 05:34 PM Re: Waking from the dead (carb) [Re: Headstrong]  
T5montecarlo Offline
T5montecarlo  Offline

Lederach, PA
Precisely. And the adjustments must be made while in closed loop mode, which you cannot determine without a scan tool.

Marc

#1063267 - 08/22/19 01:19 AM Re: Waking from the dead (carb) [Re: Headstrong]  
86ttop Online grandpa
20+ Year
86ttop  Online Grandpa
20+ Year

Brooksville, Fl
Sure you can, with an analog dwell meter, the dwell varying between 28 and 32 means the engine is in closed loop!

Leo Paugh
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten

Random Images
500/thumbs/indo_black_006.jpg
by Hailhorror77
500/thumbs/Tranny-2.jpg
by MAP
500/thumbs/MVC-015S.JPG
by hot rust
500/thumbs/10_08_09_1987_Monte_Carlo_SS_017.jpg
by BlueStreak In Spring