Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1046156 - 12/07/16 08:34 PM After 30 years I am Jumping Ship  
MarauderPrime Offline
10+ Year
MarauderPrime  Offline
10+ Year

Central/south florida
Not Because I want to, but because in my opinion, at least in the here and now, I am being priced out of the G-body Platform.

My Love affair with the Monte Carlo began when I was 2 years old, when my grandmother purchased a base 1985 roll up window 1 piece bench 4.3 tbi el cheapo. I loved the SS, and in my head, her car was almost there.

My dad purchased it from her in 1991. By that time, the paint had already faded to completely flat just from being outside in the Florida sun every day, but I rode to school, soccer practice, and around town with my dad in that car until I was around 12, when he purchased a surplus Police Package Detectives car Crown Victoria, which strangely he absolutely adored. But I loved every second I spent in that Monte Carlo.

When I was 14, I worked something out with my dad, and I began restoring the Monte Carlo. I eventually built a clone of Mike Lis's Vortech 355 engine, threw it in with a 700R4 and an SS nose, and terrorized my town through high school until I went off to college.

My dad sold the Crown Victoria and began daily driving the Monte (it fullfilled his midlife crisis requirement). When I was 24, I got my hands on it again, and put in an LT1 T56 with a Spec stage 4 clutch, and a Bezdel Pedal. The car flew.

a year later, I got tired of using my bachellor's in Political Science to be a fleet manager for a towing company, and my mother (who always had an irrational hatred for the car) told me that she would not help me with law school unless I got rid of the car. Realistically being sold whole, I would never get out of it what I put into it, so I ended up parting the car out (I believe a member on here purchased the 6 speed swap), and I used the money to buy my books for Law School with the knowledge that I would get another one when I graduated.

I got out, I got a pretty decent job for a second year law student, and I purchased one of the first 200 SRT8 Challengers ever made with a 6 speed. Unfortunately I seem to have purchased a lemon. My car ground 3rd gear the day I drove it off the lot, and after I took it back to them 3 times to fix, they swore it was fixed, and I drove it off and it ground 3rd gear. Apparently this is not a common issue, and a life lesson that you never by the first 200 anything. Although I will say that the car did remind me alot of my monte carlo. Especially from the inside.

I had a couple of other cars, and then I decided to get into the truck game. Purchased a silverado 4x4, and then one december in 2013 I got the itch, I was in a bad place, and I made an impulse buy of a black 1985 monte carlo SS, that was pretty rough. I had no business buying it, because the body was in rough shape, but unfortunately I test drove it, and it ran well, and everything worked. I got suckered in, and paid 2k for it.

It spun the main bearings on the way home to Orlando, and showed up on a flatbed. I picked up a bunch of parts to restore it. I put a 5.3 LM7 in it, and I picked my parts really well, so I was able to drop the motor in without cutting the car or really modifying anything at all.

Some Ebay 1 inch setback plates, New Cadillac CTSV Oil Pan, Smaller Power Steering PUlley from Dirty Dingo, PAcesetter 4th gen long tube headers didnt even need to be modified on my particular car.

To Save money, I put the stock TH200R4 behind it. It lasted 3 weeks, and then I pulled the car apart again to put a 6 speed in it.

Got Married, Got Laid off, started my own business, and by this time the body had gotten away from me. Trunk tray is destroyed. Trunk Pan needs to be replaced. Quarter sized hole over the drivers side window/drip rail.

I bought a mint condition front clip for it, window seals, door handles, pretty much started to get what I needed to restore it.

Then I got the Bodywork Quote. The Lowest Quote I could find was 5k, and I am not sure how much I trusted the work that was going to come out of there. By this time, my interior ate itself, so thats another 2k. 2500 in transmission swap parts if I'm lucky.

I started looking for a Donor car. Because I had an SS, and I was building a pretty modified car anyway, I didnt care if it was a regular old v6 monte for my purposes, I could turn it into an SS.
I start shopping around, scouring craigslist, autotrader, Cars.com, this website, Car Gurus, and I discover that a well used cracked dashboard paint faded Monte Carlo v6 or LG4 base model is going for north of 5k. Did these cars get so rare when I wasn't looking that they are supporting this market level? Good Condition Monte Carlo SS's are now going for between 8 and 12k, with lower milage versions going for 15k plus. When did these turn into Chevelles? I checked, and I literally found 1968-69 firebirds with 350s and 400s in them in great condition that were going for similar prices as these 305 80's muscle cars.

A Base model Monte Carlo has an asking price of higher than the same model year Corvette with the same miles!!!!! I kid you not. Check it out. I recently purchased a Perfectly running, notebook full of receipts, garage kept, shiny, perfectly shifting 700R4 350 TPI, Mint Leather Interior, Working LCD Gauges, Independent Rear Suspension C4 Corvette Coupe for 3600 Dollars. I thought it was the deal of the century, until I looked around, and even looked at a few more just to be sure, but those cars are well cared for typically, and they go for anywhere from 3500 to 7000 Dollars for 85-88 Corvettes.

I find it to be with a heavy heart, that I say this, but unless something substantial happens to me (I.e. Win the Lottery) in the next couple of years. I can't rationalize playing with a Monte Carlo SS anymore at today's prices. This website, these forums, and even the Monte Carlo E-mail list before it has been an absolutely awesome resource. I have made lifelong friends on here, and they will continue to be my friends, and I will always love the styling of these cars. In My opinion, this will always be one of my favorite 2 door coupes of all time, the styling was second to none, and the ease of modibility puts it on par even with a fox body mustang. It was an incredibly fun car to drive, and a great car to mod, and learn how to work on cars with, but I just can't rationalize today's prices frown

2011 Shelby GT500, Kona Blue with white stripes, Intake Silencer removed, Factory Paper Filter exchanged with a cotton gauze filter, and a dynotune. 549 RWHP ITS TOO EASY!

Me:"Doug, is it weird that I drive around in a 2011 GT500, and lust after another 85 Monte Carlo SS?"

Doug: "LoL"
#1046161 - 12/07/16 09:42 PM Re: After 30 years I am Jumping Ship [Re: MarauderPrime]  
PB86SS/87LS Online beer
Administrator
15+ Year
PB86SS/87LS  Online Beer
Administrator
15+ Year

New Berlin, WI
I recall you and your car(s) a bit although time has made things fuzzy, but I was around on the mailing list back in the day.

I'm a bit surprised you can't find a clean donor car for a cheap price, even if a complete car. Prices for our cars and parts have changed over the last 5 years or so I'd say, but IMO more regarding specific parts and maybe certain examples for cars i.e. low mileage prime examples or very clean tastefully well put together modified cars. Overall most cars can be had for a fair amount that hasn't changed drastically. Using your example of a cracked dashboard faded paint base model, I can't see how one can't be had for the 2k range, give or take depending. Some people ask prices that are stupid, to put it frank, but I don't think they're getting it. Have you looked around your region, if you're willing to travel for the right car? Might make a difference too.

-86'SS 383 CCC QJet- BRF 2004r-8.5" 3.42 -313/344@RW - 13.35 @103
-87'LS 350 MAF/SD TPI- CRF 2004r-7.5" 3.42 -248/340@RW - 14.55 @ 96
-81'Grand LeMans Safari Wagon 3.8 2bbl/200C/2.73
-07'TBSS Stockish daily driver
[Linked Image]
#1046169 - 12/08/16 12:25 AM Re: After 30 years I am Jumping Ship [Re: MarauderPrime]  
upflying Offline
15+ Year
upflying  Offline
15+ Year

Reno, NV
The G-body platform is the last of it's kind, the last of full frame, separate body, old school RWD. Racers and enthusiasts are paying attention. They have been relatively cheap but demand and lack of supply runs the price up. Those that have been priced out of A-bodies are moving to the G body.
15 years ago, they were common at pick n pull. Now you never see them. Rust, time, lowriders, thefts and back yard hack/molest jobs have used them up.
Sorry to hear of the OP's frustrations but I am glad to hang on to an old car that that is appreciating.

Last edited by upflying; 12/08/16 12:26 AM.

86 MCSS Notchback coupe, LS3, 4L65E, QP 9", Eaton Truetrac, 4 wheel disc, column shift, Dakota Digital, silver with maroon bench interior

[Linked Image]
#1046175 - 12/08/16 01:55 AM Re: After 30 years I am Jumping Ship [Re: MarauderPrime]  
MY FYN 79 Offline
15+ Year
MY FYN 79  Offline
15+ Year

N/E WI
http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1033694&page=1 ?

Sad to see you out of the game but you can always get back in if you have the itch. I wonder how much geographical change there is in prices.

~Jeremy~
79 Monte - Sold 5-11-13
Welcome Natalee Mae 3-16-12
[Linked Image]
#1046185 - 12/08/16 02:13 PM Re: After 30 years I am Jumping Ship [Re: MarauderPrime]  
guitars Offline
guitars  Offline

Toronto, Canada
Someday in the future when you least expect it, a G Body will have your name on it.
Hang in till then.

#1046187 - 12/08/16 02:51 PM Re: After 30 years I am Jumping Ship [Re: MarauderPrime]  
MarauderPrime Offline
10+ Year
MarauderPrime  Offline
10+ Year

Central/south florida
Thanks Guys. I really will miss it. In the Mean Time, does anybody want to buy a completely lsx swapped over well executed one owner 85SS that needs a transmission and body work?

I think I will post it up in the classifieds this week some time.

2011 Shelby GT500, Kona Blue with white stripes, Intake Silencer removed, Factory Paper Filter exchanged with a cotton gauze filter, and a dynotune. 549 RWHP ITS TOO EASY!

Me:"Doug, is it weird that I drive around in a 2011 GT500, and lust after another 85 Monte Carlo SS?"

#1046191 - 12/08/16 04:09 PM Re: After 30 years I am Jumping Ship [Re: MarauderPrime]  
86ttop Offline
15+ Year
86ttop  Offline
15+ Year

Brooksville, Fl
I owned a 1996 Town car for awhile, a good car that ran well, I kinda wish I'd bought it new. Great ride, good on gas, would drive it anywhere even as a used car.

Leo Paugh
It's not an attitude, it's just the way I am.
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
If things improve with age, I must be approaching magnificent. thumbs
#1046215 - 12/09/16 04:21 AM Re: After 30 years I am Jumping Ship [Re: MarauderPrime]  
MecGen Offline
MecGen  Offline

Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: marauderprime

I checked, and I literally found 1968-69 firebirds with 350s and 400s in them in great condition that were going for similar prices as these 305 80's muscle

and they go for anywhere from 3500 to 7000 Dollars for 85-88 Corvettes.

but I just can't rationalize today's prices frown

A couple things I would add to the discussion...

In my circle of friends and what I thought the general concensus was that these g bodies are really cheap, so cheap some can argue that they are actually not worth the costs of type of repairs that they usually demand. On this site, in the craigslist, and in my area you can find some really sweet Monte Carlos for around 10K give and take, a full restoration usually costing north of 30k. You get yourself one hell of a Monte for 10k, you cant say that about the first gen f bodies, I have one. Be careful when looking at prices for F bodies, lots a quick fixed/wrong fixed cars on the market, these cars are rust buckets by nature... you cannot find a 1967 to 69 V8 Firebird in mint condition for 10k. First gen Camaros get stupid money.
as for the mid 80s Corvettes, the market has died for them much like the third gen f bodies...yes you get a great bang for the buck car but you gotta like them, I worked on a few of them.

All is good

Space may be the final frontier
but its made in a Hollywood basement.
RedHotChilliPeppers.

1987 MCSS.- Sold
1984 MCSS.- Sold
1984 MCSS - came back smile
1995 Mustang 5.0
1965 Pontiac GTO
1969 Pontiac Firebird
#1046229 - 12/09/16 09:46 PM Re: After 30 years I am Jumping Ship [Re: MarauderPrime]  
Hey-O Offline
Hey-O  Offline

St Charles , Mo
Blake,
If you canít afford a G-body, you canít afford an extra car. Life gets busy and other things get in the way of extra money for a hotrod, everyone has been there. Iím sixty and I have owned, drove, been in, or have seen about everything the market has to offer. Yes, I remember used 68 Roadrunners for 400 bucks that ran great!! I remember anything from 1972 forward not being wanted, period!! After 1971 nobody wanted it, pollution crap on them, unleaded gas, drop in horsepower and most started those ugly safety bumpers. A 1975 Corvette with a 4 speed couldnít even spin a tire. My good friend bought a brand new one. ZQ3 350-cid V8, 165-hp, Four-Barrel, L82 350-cid V8, 205-hp, Four-Barrel. I had several friends that got those Smokey and Bandit mid to late seventies T/A's, new and they were a joke compared to earlier years. If you have ever driven a 69, 70 or 71 455 T/A, you would understand what Iím saying, day and night difference. The same goes for ALL cars. Then as the prices on the sixties cars hit the outer limits, the seventies started looking better. Then when the seventies cars got grabbed up the eighties looked better. See where Iím going with this. When my son started this Monte thing, these things were dirt cheap!! Inside I laughed at him, I thought how many do you want. Whatís my point with all this, the obvious, you wait long enough and they ALL come into play. The thing that stays the same on ALL cars is the cost to buy that engine, paint job or wheels and tires. Hate to hear youíre going and good luck but, buy and hold, because time waits for no oneÖÖ Again, good luck and best wishesÖ Ulli http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusias...amp;ocid=HPCDHP

... " HEY - O " ... LET THE HORSES RUN

#1046234 - 12/10/16 02:25 AM Re: After 30 years I am Jumping Ship [Re: MarauderPrime]  
ChasUno Offline
ChasUno  Offline

Bradenton, FL
Marauderprime, out of interest, where have you been looking for MCSS's for sale? When I started looking for an SS, about a year ago, I pretty much only looked at Ebay. Prices on there are very silly at times, and match a lot of the prices that you were quoting. I was resigning myself to the fact that any SS, complete, reasonable and running well enough to use were at least $7.5K, with the clean/ low miles examples hitting $10K+ and restored examples anything over that.

Then I started looking at Craigslist, and the difference was night and day. I'm in the same neck of the woods as you (central/ south FL), and Craigslist started throwing up many more affordable SS's. Eventually I got myself a complete, running and very tidy and presentable '86 SS for $4.5K (up in Ocala). It's not perfect by a long way, but at the price I paid for it I can afford to invest some cash into it and it looks perfectly nice as it stands.

If you want more of a project, there were SS's down into the $2K - $3K running and needing tidying/ work, and basket cases below that as low as $1K to $1.5K.

It's true that Monte Carlos are going up in price, including the parts, however, there are affordable cars still out there. Don't give up, maybe keep your eye on Craigslist more than Ebay?

1986 Monte Carlo SS

[Linked Image]
#1046237 - 12/10/16 03:30 AM Re: After 30 years I am Jumping Ship [Re: Hey-O]  
MecGen Offline
MecGen  Offline

Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: Hey-O

Words of wisdom, well put

Space may be the final frontier
but its made in a Hollywood basement.
RedHotChilliPeppers.

1987 MCSS.- Sold
1984 MCSS.- Sold
1984 MCSS - came back smile
1995 Mustang 5.0
1965 Pontiac GTO
1969 Pontiac Firebird
#1046241 - 12/10/16 07:44 AM Re: After 30 years I am Jumping Ship [Re: MarauderPrime]  
Fred SS Offline
10+ Year
Fred SS  Offline
10+ Year

Glassboro, NJ
Blake, I'm sorry to hear that you are giving up on the G-body. But there are reasonably priced Monte's out there, just not allot of them are on eBay. I wish you luck in your future endeavors.

87 SS, Harwood cowl induction hood, UMI trailing arms. Edelbrock TES Headers (Jet Hot Coated). Goodwrench 350, TPI, Trick Flow 56cc alum heads, SLP runners, ported plenum, Comp Cams 260AH-12 cam, Trick Flow 1.5 roller rockers, Bilsteins, TCI 2400 stall converter, Ramcharger fans, Denny's 3.5" Driveshaft
#1046254 - 12/11/16 02:52 AM Re: After 30 years I am Jumping Ship [Re: MarauderPrime]  
RenoReno2 Offline
10+ Year
RenoReno2  Offline
10+ Year

Chicago, IL
I started looking for one for you and came across one and realized its your car. Doesn't look that bad but they're not detailed pictures. Oh amd I frequently visit your area my parents are over in Sebastian

I tried to PM you but your over your limit of pm's

Last edited by RenoReno2; 12/11/16 02:53 AM.

88 Monte SS
#1046255 - 12/11/16 02:57 AM Re: After 30 years I am Jumping Ship [Re: MarauderPrime]  
RenoReno2 Offline
10+ Year
RenoReno2  Offline
10+ Year

Chicago, IL
Craigslist is crazy in your area your right

Last edited by RenoReno2; 12/11/16 02:59 AM.

88 Monte SS
#1046265 - 12/11/16 04:28 PM Re: After 30 years I am Jumping Ship [Re: MarauderPrime]  
MarauderPrime Offline
10+ Year
MarauderPrime  Offline
10+ Year

Central/south florida
Lol, I told you! Ebay cars every so often end up actually auctioning at reasonable prices. I do nationwide searches. I was willing to fly to get one. I can afford a second car, and bought one. What I can't rationalize is paying c5 corvette money for a g-body. Thanks for the responses guys. I probably will end up in the game again one day. I may happen upon a car in the right place at the right time. For now, I'm having buckets of fun in my "new" 86 corvette

#1046269 - 12/11/16 04:57 PM Re: After 30 years I am Jumping Ship [Re: MarauderPrime]  
RenoReno2 Offline
10+ Year
RenoReno2  Offline
10+ Year

Chicago, IL
PM me a price on the front brake stuff/spindles you have if you will part out and its not on the car. I may send my father over to you and pick it up.

88 Monte SS
#1062751 - 07/16/19 07:43 PM Re: After 30 years I am Jumping Ship [Re: MarauderPrime]  
MarauderPrime Offline
10+ Year
MarauderPrime  Offline
10+ Year

Central/south florida
I actually ended up keeping all of that stuff. Its a good thing to, because the ultimate resolution to this thread is.......................... I'm BACK!!!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by marauderprime; 07/16/19 07:46 PM. Reason: accidentally posted as HTML instead of IMG

#1062752 - 07/16/19 08:57 PM Re: After 30 years I am Jumping Ship [Re: MarauderPrime]  
Fred SS Offline
10+ Year
Fred SS  Offline
10+ Year

Glassboro, NJ
Great looking Monte. Cool stance. What are your plans? Did you keep the other SS? Glad to see that your are back in the G-Body family.

87 SS, Harwood cowl induction hood, UMI trailing arms. Edelbrock TES Headers (Jet Hot Coated). Goodwrench 350, TPI, Trick Flow 56cc alum heads, SLP runners, ported plenum, Comp Cams 260AH-12 cam, Trick Flow 1.5 roller rockers, Bilsteins, TCI 2400 stall converter, Ramcharger fans, Denny's 3.5" Driveshaft
#1062762 - 07/17/19 03:50 PM Re: After 30 years I am Jumping Ship [Re: MarauderPrime]  
MarauderPrime Offline
10+ Year
MarauderPrime  Offline
10+ Year

Central/south florida
I did not keep the other one unfortunately. This one is an original 84 with an interesting story. I purchased it in part of a horse trade from a client. The guy I bought it from was the second owner, and he got it in probate when his grandmother, the original owner, literally willed it to him. It has a targetmaster (goodwrench) 350 in it, which was installed in 1986 under warranty after the original motor overheated. I even have the dealer paperwork. Apparently there were no L69's available in the Ohio area at the time, and the dealer wouldn't have been able to perform the work within 45 days, which would have subjected the car to the lemon law statute, and the Dealership got a special dispensation from Corporate to install a targetmaster they had in stock at the dealership. I will scan it in when I get a chance. Having driven it, I am not sure it really performs any better than the L69. The compression is lower, the heads are crappier, and I think that the cam is milder. About the only thing it has going for it is that it has more displacement and a better bore to stroke ratio. It is installed with the factory exhaust manifolds, Factory exhaust, the cat was deleted with a test pipe, but they used the stock catalytic converter flanges to make the test pipe. Stock L69 intake manifold (which was good for the time), non CCC quadrajet that looks like someone spray painted it with rustoleum safety orange, and then touched it up with a house paint brush. It has a peg leg rear (I need to decode the vin to see if it is a factory non-posi car, or if its just broken), and the original TH350C. At 65mph, it was taching almost 3k rpms. I will be taking main roads everywhere for a while not I-95.

As far as plans, I have learned alot in 21 years of Monte Ownership. I love these cars. I love this car. I want to drive this car every day, and as much as possible, which means that I have to keep it on the road, and avoid big over the top projects that cant be performed in a weekend. I have another car to drive, but that doesnt mean I want it to go into the garage for a year while I do a quadruple turbo 589 lsx 7 speed with a c7 rear suspension.

I am however fully intending to perform a tasteful engine swap. I was originally thinking about doing an EFI L29 454 swap with a T56, but I have been talked out of a Big Block by basically everyone I know. I have a sick speed monte pedal (I think) assembly and bracket I bought from a G-body forum member years ago, from someone who was intending to do the swap into an El-Camino and then changed their mind. T56 for sure. I am now thinking about doing an aluminum L33 5.3 engine swap, with a small (ish) single 66mm borg warner turbo, so that it comes on instantly and feels more like a positive displacement supercharger in its power delivery, with a very well designed hot side, and limiting boost to whatever the c7 ZR1 puts out stock.

The car came with an extra G-body frame, and a 4.3 tbi monte carlo gas tank. I am going to do the Helwig Frame FX, a frame notch, and some additional welded in frame reinforcement in key areas, along with Zq8 Spindles, Corvette brakes of some kind (still deciding), tall ball joints, UMI arms with the Moog taller Ball Joints upper and lower. Delrin suspension arm bushings, and UMI roto joint rear upper and lower control arms out back with an 8.5"

I had a long discussion with MAP the other day, and I am going to run aluminum body busyhings for the 5/8th inch body drop. Between the reinforced frame, the solid body bushings, and the delrin suspension contacts, it sounds like a recipe for a bone jarring ride, but I firmly believe that these parts will allow me to run some softer rate springs (in the 4-500 lb range), as well as the stock F-41 or tubular Z28 swaybar, and I believe that these pieces will really shine, and be the parts of the chassis that soften the ride by being allowed to perform exactly as they were designed.

If I am going to hang onto this one and use it and drive it, I want to document the buildup, and use parts that are guaranteed to have easy support for the longest possible time. Gen 1 SBC and Gen Vi BBC stuff is quickly becoming more antiquated (nobody take offense to it, I had plenty of hard running Gen 1 SBC's and enjoyed them), and it is appearing more and more that the Gen 3 and 4 motors have a design life of 300k miles before a major overhaul is required. This means once the build is done, it is more time between maintenance cycles.

This is obviously not going to happen in the first week of ownership, but realistically my time table to have all of the above completed working only on weekends to be around 2 years.

I look forward to chronicling my build on here, and to interacting with the always tremendous MonteCarloSS.com community.

#1062767 - 07/17/19 08:16 PM Re: After 30 years I am Jumping Ship [Re: MarauderPrime]  
FrankOC Offline
10+ Year
FrankOC  Offline
10+ Year

Cape Cod, MA
Congrats and welcome back.

84 - Stock
85 - ZZ383, 6-speed
#1062990 - 08/01/19 11:21 PM Re: After 30 years I am Jumping Ship [Re: MarauderPrime]  
Z65_Paul Offline
Administrator
15+ Year
Z65_Paul  Offline

Administrator
15+ Year

McDade, TX
Welcome back! Sweet SS. thumbs

[Linked Image]
PaulC PaulC@MonteCarloSS.com - - - - Album Pictures
Original Owner, Custom two-tone T-Toped 86 SS - Webmaster of:
[Linked Image]
#1063003 - 08/02/19 09:43 PM Re: After 30 years I am Jumping Ship [Re: MarauderPrime]  
MAP Offline
15+ Year
MAP  Offline
15+ Year

Yuma, AZ
Hi Blake,

Can't believe I didn't see this thread until now! Blake, as with Paul and the others, a big welcome back. I've watched in amazement as the price for MCSSs has taken aim for the moon over the past several years. My latest searches on Craigslist west of the Mississippi (east of there means rust) have shown that anything less than about $5k buys little more than a pile of junk.

Someday, somehow, I'll own an MCSS and finally turn it into the kind of car I want. But as time passes, the goal remains ever elusive: I think it would take a total investment of about $60k-$80k to reach that goal.

But it's great to see that you're back in the game. A quick comment about solidifying your car: I'd leave at least one soft, lossy element in the NVH transmission chain (other than tires and your seat, that is) for the sake of a tolerable ride. If you're using a solid coupling between the body and frame, I'd use NOS rubber bushings in the front suspension. That way your teeth will stay in your mouth as you ride over rough surfaces (!)

Enjoy,
MAP

Last edited by MAP; 08/03/19 01:38 AM.
#1063008 - 08/03/19 01:10 PM Re: After 30 years I am Jumping Ship [Re: MarauderPrime]  
MY FYN 79 Offline
15+ Year
MY FYN 79  Offline
15+ Year

N/E WI
Welcome back! Nice looking ride you found there, and stories like the one with the engine installed are always neat to hear.

~Jeremy~
79 Monte - Sold 5-11-13
Welcome Natalee Mae 3-16-12
[Linked Image]
#1063009 - 08/04/19 03:17 AM Re: After 30 years I am Jumping Ship [Re: MAP]  
PB86SS/87LS Online beer
Administrator
15+ Year
PB86SS/87LS  Online Beer
Administrator
15+ Year

New Berlin, WI
Originally Posted by MAP
Hi Blake,

Can't believe I didn't see this thread until now! Blake, as with Paul and the others, a big welcome back. I've watched in amazement as the price for MCSSs has taken aim for the moon over the past several years. My latest searches on Craigslist west of the Mississippi (east of there means rust) have shown that anything less than about $5k buys little more than a pile of junk.

Someday, somehow, I'll own an MCSS and finally turn it into the kind of car I want. But as time passes, the goal remains ever elusive: I think it would take a total investment of about $60k-$80k to reach that goal.

But it's great to see that you're back in the game. A quick comment about solidifying your car: I'd leave at least one soft, lossy element in the NVH transmission chain (other than tires and your seat, that is) for the sake of a tolerable ride. If you're using a solid coupling between the body and frame, I'd use NOS rubber bushings in the front suspension. That way your teeth will stay in your mouth as you ride over rough surfaces (!)

Enjoy,
MAP

I hope you get one again and follow through on doing it your way.

And there are a ton of SS’s east of the Mississippi without rust. Lots of properly stored ones in the rust belt and the south/southeast should provide a wide net. And many west of the Mississippi with rust, the upper midwest also goes west of that river laugh

-86'SS 383 CCC QJet- BRF 2004r-8.5" 3.42 -313/344@RW - 13.35 @103
-87'LS 350 MAF/SD TPI- CRF 2004r-7.5" 3.42 -248/340@RW - 14.55 @ 96
-81'Grand LeMans Safari Wagon 3.8 2bbl/200C/2.73
-07'TBSS Stockish daily driver
[Linked Image]
#1063164 - 08/13/19 06:37 PM Re: After 30 years I am Jumping Ship [Re: MarauderPrime]  
MAP Offline
15+ Year
MAP  Offline
15+ Year

Yuma, AZ
Thanks PB - yes, I think I painted too-broad a picture of the nation's rust situation. With the same too-broad brush, I'd say that cars west of there suffer from destroyed interiors (!)

Blake, I don't want to derail your thread: I'd just advise caution with your bushing/NVH situation. And, best wishes for a truly enjoyable, memorable resto-mode adventure with your car.

Best - MAP

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Random Images
500/thumbs/PICT0216.jpg
by 84SSleeper
500/thumbs/IMG_0911.JPG
by Art Buck
500/thumbs/DCFN00051.JPG
by madmax74
500/thumbs/pinks-burnout.jpg
by 1984Monte
1164/thumbs/IMGP6653small.jpg