MonteCarloSS.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1062622 - 07/04/19 01:28 PM Foam Material Between Door Skins and Braces  
cwest01 Offline
cwest01  Offline

Livonia, Mi
My doors rattle when driving and when being closed. Upon close inspection, I can see that the foam material between the skins and braces (pink in color) has dried, cracked, and in many cases, fallen out. I would like to put something back in to reduce the harmonics. However, the 3M soft foam product requires a very large tool to apply. Our doors do not provide very much room for a tool like that. Can anyone share what they have used for this application that can be applied given our limited access?

#1062623 - 07/04/19 01:49 PM Re: Foam Material Between Door Skins and Braces [Re: cwest01]  
upflying Offline
15+ Year
upflying  Offline
15+ Year

Reno, NV
You could use sound proofing products like Dynamat. But that only puts a band aid on the real problem, the rattles. I would suggest repairing what is causing the noise, bad door weatherstrip, cracked window sweeps and loose window and door lock mechanisms. It's not the door, it's what is inside that is rattling. Reach up inside the door guts and shake the rods and levers to see what is loose and making the noise.
Do not use absorbent sound proofing products, they will absorb moisture and create a breeding area for rust.
I do not recall seeing a pink foam material between the braces and the door skins when I had my doors apart. That sounds like someone put that in sometime in the past.
Years of door slams makes the door rattle. Don't forget to check the door hinges for wear.
Some of the bracing could be cracked from all the abuse. That will require welding to fix.
The trouble is in the original door design. Long heavy doors with heavy door guts loosen up unfortunately.

Last edited by upflying; 07/04/19 02:54 PM.

86 MCSS Notchback coupe, LS3, 4L65E, QP 9", Eaton Truetrac, 4 wheel disc, column shift, Dakota Digital, silver with maroon bench interior

[Linked Image]
#1062627 - 07/04/19 04:44 PM Re: Foam Material Between Door Skins and Braces [Re: cwest01]  
cwest01 Offline
cwest01  Offline

Livonia, Mi
Thanks for the feedback. I have all new OEM weatherstripping, glass guides, rollers, felts, etc. When I say foam, it isn't exactly foam, it is a caulk like material that the factory installed between the crash bar/ brace and door skins to prevent rattles. Over time, it hardens, cracks and ultimately falls out from the door being closed. The material is pink in color. 3M makes a two part epoxy that they call "soft foam" to replace the original when needed. I am sure it is the brace to door panel interference because I can eliminate the rattles by pushing the brace against the door skin. Problem is the two part epoxy has to mix when being squeezed out so it takes a large, specialty caulk gun to apply. I don't think I could get it inside the door enough to hit the target locations.

#1062641 - 07/06/19 05:35 AM Re: Foam Material Between Door Skins and Braces [Re: cwest01]  
mmc427ss Online content
15+ Year
mmc427ss  Online Content
15+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
Here's a post about door seals. 2/3 of the way down the page 5 is how i tried to eliminate that rattle.
http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1061762&page=5

Here's that info:

"When previously having both door apart years ago to do beltline molding an attempt was made back then to fix the door skin to door guard beam urethane that dries out, falls into the bottom of the door, and causes that rattle when the doors are closed. The orange urethane was used to bond the door skin to the door guard at the factory. It's a very difficult area to access and re apply adhesive to stop that rattle. Tried to bridge the 3/8"-1/2" gap using RTV last time and was only slightly successful because that RTV will not bridge that gap and stay put. This time on the pass door made 9 short plastic bridges from the top edge of the beam to the door skin, affixed with RTV then once firmed up laid another coating of RTV down on the bridge to add more strength. I've seen spray foam used as the fix for this problem but thought that foam would retain moisture."

There may be a better product to use than black RTV but the above bridge and the RTV is flexible, waterproof and has quieted the rattle very well. If you still can see some orange urethane attached to either the skin or beam you can use the RTV to reconnect the orange stuff, Most of the time the urethane is laying in the bottom of the door. About 8 or 9 bridges were done on each door.
No more rattle when you close the door, and no rattle when you tap your knuckles on the outside of the door along the door guard beams glue points. RTV works pretty good.
Bob

#1062657 - 07/07/19 07:09 PM Re: Foam Material Between Door Skins and Braces [Re: cwest01]  
GregO Offline
10+ Year
GregO  Offline
10+ Year

North Haven, CT
I too recall picking these loose pieces out from inside the doors going back 10+ years. Never did replace. We will see if more falls out later or any rattles get worse.

#1062659 - 07/07/19 08:57 PM Re: Foam Material Between Door Skins and Braces [Re: cwest01]  
AkronAero Offline
10+ Year
AkronAero  Offline
10+ Year

Akron OH
Repacked with caulk when we rebuilt car about 8 years ago. Need a soft material to dampen and to provide some flex lest it form a hard ridge across the door. Also, no water retention. Back to you on this later when I dig into it again....
Gordon

#1062681 - 07/09/19 02:21 PM Re: Foam Material Between Door Skins and Braces [Re: cwest01]  
AkronAero Offline
10+ Year
AkronAero  Offline
10+ Year

Akron OH
Chris - I talked to my body shop. They used a two part urethane closed cell foam product. 3M and others make these for reduced NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness). Will not absorb water, and will not create a hard ridge against which the door panel might crease. The 3M Flexible Foam 08463 is carried by Zoro, Grainger and others. About $40 with, I think, two static mixing tubes (use one time each?) which should get you into the space. Or find a tool to push it down and in at the ends?. Here's a quick look:
https://www.zoro.com/3m-flexible-foam-nvh-08463/i/G0406463/
Keep us informed please on what you learn and how it works out for you.
Gordon

PS - you could also buy from a friendly body shop? I'd get you ond from mine if you were closer.

Random Images
809/thumbs/monteeee.jpg
by jenifuriouSS
1113/thumbs/BadAssFender1.jpg
by Z65_Paul
500/thumbs/dad_his_flowers_35_.jpg
by BENCHSEATRACIN
500/thumbs/DSC03034_1_.jpg
by Rodney
1164/thumbs/IMGP6656small.jpg
by Witman69
Help MonteCarloSS.com