Next Thread
Print Thread
#1059988 - 11/24/18 06:39 AM Ordered New Gauges for the SS  
BadSS Offline
15+ Year
BadSS  Offline
15+ Year

Pearl, MS, 39208
Bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on the Speedhut gauges for the Monte. I was hoping for a 30% off sale this year but had to settle for 20%. I really didn’t want to spend as much as I did, but I’m used to and love the gauges in my G8 GT and wanted something similar in the Monte.

I struggled on whether to balance things out with a 4.5” speedometer. However, since I find myself looking more at the digital speedometer in the G8 than the analog gauge, I figured I’d go with an AEM GPS digital speedometer - that way I could keep all the gauges I needed in the center section.

This is what I ended up with:
4-1/2” 8,000 rpm Tachometer with shift light
2-1/16” 0-160 mph Digital GPS Speedometer
2-1/16” 0-100 psi Oil Pressure w/warning light
2-1/16” 60-260F Water Temp w/warning light
2-1/16” 0-60 psi Fuel Pressure w/warning light
2-1/16” 8.5-18 AFR Wideband w/warning light
2-1/16” 0-18V Voltage w/warning light
2-1/16” Programmable Fuel Level for stock sensor
2-1/16” 0-2000psi Nitrous Pressure w/warning light

Here’s about how it should look once I’m done. I found some vinyl wrap that looks like it should match up pretty good to the stock black brushed/grain used in the 1985. So,,, I can’t wait to get started on it. I’m going to keep looking for another bezel trim – so far all I’ve seen are in pretty bad shape.

[Linked Image]

Original owner of 1985 SS black hardtop w/gray interior. Frame-on restoration - 406 sleeper w/ heavily ported FIRST TPI. However the 1.875" headers, 3.5" duals, TH400, Ford 9", notched frame, and 10-point cage w/swing-out bars might tip you off it's not a lil' ole 305 TPI. Other mods: 2" drop, 18" wheels, f/r disk brakes, and custom stereo system.
#1059995 - 11/24/18 02:57 PM Re: Ordered New Gauges for the SS [Re: BadSS]  
upflying Offline
15+ Year
upflying  Offline
15+ Year

Reno, NV
Nice, but is there enough real-estate for that many 2 1/16" holes? The structural integrity of the panel could be compromised as you assemble it. The stock bezel is pretty brittle and flimsy.

86 MCSS Notchback coupe, LS3, 4L65E, QP 9", Eaton Truetrac, 4 wheel disc, column shift, Dakota Digital, silver with maroon bench interior

[Linked Image]
#1059997 - 11/24/18 04:09 PM Re: Ordered New Gauges for the SS [Re: BadSS]  
AkronAero Online content
10+ Year
AkronAero  Online Content
10+ Year

Akron OH
Kevin - I have 8 Speedhut Revolution gauges sitting in the box awaiting arrival of the dash. Adding transmission temp and A/F WB, which I will probably mount under the dash near the center console. I so look forward to having a 270 degree sweep with meaningful numbers rather than the 90 degree "suggested indications". I added directionals and high beam indicator lights to the Speedo, but can still use the current locations on the shadow box if I prefer. Gauges look even better in real life. X2 on making the mounting surface a more solid structural piece. Keep us posted. This will be an intersting build. Where will you mount the A/F bung?
Gordon

#1059998 - 11/24/18 09:28 PM Re: Ordered New Gauges for the SS [Re: BadSS]  
BadSS Offline
15+ Year
BadSS  Offline
15+ Year

Pearl, MS, 39208
Originally Posted by upflying
Nice, but is there enough real-estate for that many 2 1/16" holes? The structural integrity of the panel could be compromised as you assemble it. The stock bezel is pretty brittle and flimsy.

Agree to all accounts. It’s a tight fit for sure, but doable - attached measurements are not exact but close. Still, it looks like I may have to put spacers behind the gauges so the spin rings won’t interfere with each other as they appear to stick out a little more than the gauge bezels (2.27” and 4.5” with 2.05” and 4.22” cut outs). I’m planning on using 1/8” or 3/16” aluminum for the insert panel and will figure out a way to add some additional anchor points and support for it other than just the instrument cluster bezel.

[Linked Image]

Gordon, I’ll have a bung for the wideband O2 welded in the driver’s side collector (1.875” long tubes). Transmission temp was the only other gauge I would have liked to have. I still could have utilized the “pod” to the right, but if you mount a gauge at the top right, the steering wheel would cover about half of it and I didn’t think it would look right with them offset to the rest of the gauges. The picture is a little off scale, but does well as a representation of what you’d see from the driver’s seat.

[Linked Image]

I do have a Sport Comp Autometer trans temp gauge left over from my old speed shop. So, I may do some sort of under dash flip down bracket for it once I get everything else up and running.

I literally can’t wait to get back on the car. Six surgeries in 18 months tend to take a while to recover. For me I guess it took about 6 months since I’ve felt better in the last three weeks than I’ve felt in over 2 years.

#1059999 - 11/25/18 04:49 AM Re: Ordered New Gauges for the SS [Re: BadSS]  
spacemanspif Offline
15+ Year
spacemanspif  Offline
15+ Year

Swedesboro, NJ
Another thought would be to use the classic dash panel if you find that you don’t have enough real estate. You pay extra for units that don’t have gauge holes in them already but a a sheet of aluminum gets you back to a blank blank slate. Then you can use the warning light area of a gauge and the dash vent area as well.

I love the speedhut idea and tach with built in shift light, and warning lights but my friend has a set that has been nothing but problems while my autometers have worked perfectly. I want speedhut tech with auto meter reliability

-Mike

F-body bucket seats, camaro console, carb'd 5.3/4L80E swap

Fastest time to date: 13.671 @ 103.79
Best r/t: 0.007 I got lucky smile

Killed a few cones too

#1060032 - 11/26/18 03:23 PM Re: Ordered New Gauges for the SS [Re: BadSS]  
thepezking639 Offline
10+ Year
thepezking639  Offline
10+ Year

Livonia, MI
Two WB's?

86 SS 6.0L LQ4, TBSS GEN IV intake, 92mm TB, 30lb injectors, Summit Stage 3 NA Cam, Stainless long tube headers, Stainless 3in exhaust, Microsquirt ECU, FABbot AR5 5-speed, Torsen LSD, QA1 Lvl 3 Suspension Kit, UMI Front & Rear Braces. Check out my build blog on Summit Racing's OnAll Cylinders https://www.onallcylinders.com/author/travis-jones/
#1060392 - 01/08/19 01:31 AM Re: Ordered New Gauges for the SS [Re: BadSS]  
AkronAero Online content
10+ Year
10+ Year

Akron OH
Kevin - just stumbled on this direct fit bezel from autometer - Has two 5" holes and four at 2-5/8" (to fit autometer gauges). Marketing guys - Who would have known it even exists?
One loses the left A/C vent and the alarm panel but interesting.
https://www.autometer.com/direct-fit-chevrolet-malibu-el-camino-monte-carlo-82-87-5-2-5-8-black.html
If yours comes out, keep the plans and offer to others. And keep us posted.

MIke - Just read your post and had never heard of Classic Dash Panels - seems to be the same as the autometer site, or darn close, but cheaper (so the source for autometer?)
Thanks for posting - here is the link: https://classicdash.com/product/198...-speedo-and-tach-with-auto-meter-gauges/

Fun times
Gordon

#1060399 - 01/10/19 02:17 AM Re: Ordered New Gauges for the SS [Re: BadSS]  
spacemanspif Offline
15+ Year
spacemanspif  Offline
15+ Year

Swedesboro, NJ
Hey Gordon, yup thats the one. I didn’t know autometer sold them, I’m guessing they are rebadging classic dash units as classic has offered them for years. Any progress pics yet?

-Mike

F-body bucket seats, camaro console, carb'd 5.3/4L80E swap

Fastest time to date: 13.671 @ 103.79
Best r/t: 0.007 I got lucky smile

Killed a few cones too

#1060400 - 01/10/19 02:23 AM Re: Ordered New Gauges for the SS [Re: AkronAero]  
BadSS Offline
15+ Year
BadSS  Offline
15+ Year

Pearl, MS, 39208
Originally Posted by AkronAero
Kevin - just stumbled on this direct fit bezel from autometer - Has two 5" holes and four at 2-5/8" (to fit autometer gauges). Marketing guys - Who would have known it even exists?
One loses the left A/C vent and the alarm panel but interesting.
https://www.autometer.com/direct-fit-chevrolet-malibu-el-camino-monte-carlo-82-87-5-2-5-8-black.html
If yours comes out, keep the plans and offer to others. And keep us posted.

MIke - Just read your post and had never heard of Classic Dash Panels - seems to be the same as the autometer site, or darn close, but cheaper (so the source for autometer?)
Thanks for posting - here is the link: https://classicdash.com/product/198...-speedo-and-tach-with-auto-meter-gauges/

Fun times
Gordon

I had seen the Autometer offering, but didn't want to give up the A/C vent and just didn't think it was worth the money they want for it.

Speedhut shipped the gauges the other day and while UPS is estimating a Monday delivery, I'm hopeful they may make it here Saturday. I went ahead and ordered the AEM X-Series GPS Speedometer so it would be here about the same time. Hopefully the gauge bezels will match up fairly well or I can get them to match up (they look fairly close by the limited pictures I could find).

I'll update with some pictures once the gauges arrive and I've made the template.

Original owner of 1985 SS black hardtop w/gray interior. Frame-on restoration - 406 sleeper w/ heavily ported FIRST TPI. However the 1.875" headers, 3.5" duals, TH400, Ford 9", notched frame, and 10-point cage w/swing-out bars might tip you off it's not a lil' ole 305 TPI. Other mods: 2" drop, 18" wheels, f/r disk brakes, and custom stereo system.
#1060447 - 01/16/19 02:33 AM Re: Ordered New Gauges for the SS [Re: BadSS]  
BadSS Offline
15+ Year
BadSS  Offline
15+ Year

Pearl, MS, 39208
Well,,,, the gauges arrived and I love the SS logo on the tach. I arranged them on the template and they're going to fit. It'll be a little tighter than the rendition but still doable. The AEM Speedometer bezel is a lot thicker and the gauge is slightly larger. Not sure if I'm going to stick with it, but I really wanted that digital GPS readout and it was the closest match as I could find. If I don't go with something else, I'll have to be real careful on the cutout and recess it to keep it from sitting higher than the rest of the gauges..

[Linked Image]

#1060768 - 02/15/19 06:10 PM Re: Ordered New Gauges for the SS [Re: BadSS]  
AkronAero Online content
10+ Year
10+ Year

Akron OH
Kevin - keep us posted as you work this through. Maybe market your own product? I have decided against making my own bezel, at least for now, but still very interested in your thoughts. Dash is through the back log at Just Dashes and is now in process. Another few weeks and the dash and warm weather will be here!!!

Mike - no pics, just stuff in a box. I have decided to go for the standard 4 hole shadow box (Mikes Montes #918 for $60) then add a new dash face plate (MM #1264 for $95). Plus of course other pieces including the passenger side dash bezel (MM #1264-2 for $169). I will install two of the smaller gauges in the lower center straddling the steering column, as is typically done to accomodate 6 gauges. I will drop the passenger mirror control now in the lower right of the dash face plate about 6" and mount it in the under-dash area (as it's only been used a few times in 20 years). That frees up useful realestate and I will locate two inverter/dimmers for the gauges and an electric fan override switch there. I will put the transmission temp and A/FM gauges where the ashtray is being removed and have space to place a third gauge later. That leaves the upper right warning light space for last. Don't know how to recover it and make it attractive. With no computer I have only choke, seat belt and high beams functioning now. The GPS Speedo has directionals and high beams integrated if I want to use them, so really the only unique light of use in this panel is the choke??? All gauges have their own amber alarms so any suggestions on use of this space while making it look good will be appreciated. I know I can tackle that later. Main thought is to get it all functional to drive to opening weekend at Watkins Glen.

Gordon

#1060772 - 02/16/19 12:39 AM Re: Ordered New Gauges for the SS [Re: BadSS]  
AkronAero Online content
10+ Year
10+ Year

Akron OH
Forgot I still have the brake light too...

#1060887 - 02/24/19 07:55 PM Re: Ordered New Gauges for the SS [Re: AkronAero]  
BadSS Offline
15+ Year
BadSS  Offline
15+ Year

Pearl, MS, 39208
Originally Posted by AkronAero
I have decided to go for the standard 4 hole shadow box (Mikes Montes #918 for $60) then add a new dash face plate (MM #1264 for $95),,,,,,,,,, That leaves the upper right warning light space for last. Don't know how to recover it and make it attractive,,,,,,, so any suggestions on use of this space while making it look good will be appreciated. I know I can tackle that later.

The 86 and up gauge face plate / bezel is a little more challenging to modify that right hand side area. As you can see the 85 and earlier area is completely "defined" or outlined. It's also a bit recessed which helps making it easier to modify as a complete section.

[Linked Image]

The only thing I can think of is cutting out the plastic for the light areas (long enough to get two gauges in there) and glue a solid piece UNDER the cut out area, then fill and blend in what ever gaps are there with epoxy putty. That way it would be a slight recess for the two gauges. Like below. Then you could either find a paint match for the gray or go with black, which ever you would prefer.

[Linked Image]

Random Images
500/thumbs/th_d962821f_1_.jpg
by Jills86SS
500/thumbs/Gingerman2010.jpg
by ProTourAero
532/thumbs/Monte-Man_sm.JPG
by Blown Monte
500/thumbs/carlo5.jpg
by rj
500/thumbs/monte_at_atco.jpg
by NYmonteSS