MonteCarloSS.com
MonteCarloSS.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1059637 - 10/28/18 09:27 PM Passenger side light(s)  
THoR SS Offline
THoR SS  Offline

Midway, GA
Passenger - Rear Lights (1986 SS)

Okay, it started out that the right brake light would not illuminate when the brakes were applied. Pulled the housing out, inspected the bulbs, didn't see anything wrong so I cleaned the contact point inside the sockets, reinstalled and the light brake light worked. Mind you, the turn signal and hazard light worked all the time. Driver side has always worked and still does.

Last week, I got a warning from police about the light being out again. I googled, checked Monte SS forum, found a few things but nothing like current operating condition. I bought 2 new flashers and installed them, now there is no hazard, turn signal or brake light on the right side. Located the ground in the trunk, cleaned it an reinstalled, no change. Swapped the old flashers back in, no change. Took the wires out of the loom, no breaks, short point or pinch points.

Anyone dealt with anything like this?

#1059639 - 10/28/18 11:14 PM Re: Passenger side light(s) [Re: THoR SS]  
upflying Offline
15+ Year
upflying  Offline
15+ Year

Reno, NV
Is the ground you cleaned the one in the left rear of the trunk? You can also try using a jumper wire (short piece of wire with alligator clips at each end) from the black ground wire to a known ground surface). In other words, make your own temporary test ground wire and attach it to the black wire running the bulbs. You problem is most likely ground related, I will be chasing down my own light problems this winter.

86 MCSS Notchback coupe, LS3, 4L65E, QP 9", Eaton Truetrac, 4 wheel disc, column shift, Dakota Digital, silver with maroon bench interior

[Linked Image]
#1059640 - 10/28/18 11:42 PM Re: Passenger side light(s) [Re: THoR SS]  
THoR SS Offline
THoR SS  Offline

Midway, GA
It is the one in the left rear of the trunk. I took my dremel and removed the paint on the bonding surface. Screw loose, so I tightened that. No change, so I looked under the dash again. Put bulbs back in housing and mounted the housing, tried the brake lights and they work. It looks like something with the signal lever mechansim. Gonna look at that this week.

Thanks for the feedback.

Random Images
500/thumbs/Redo_84Monte.jpg
by 84sfast
500/thumbs/PC260347.jpg
by 02intimidator
500/thumbs/mail_google_com6.jpg
by pearl83SS
500/thumbs/ssm.JPG
by ragleone
539/thumbs/Cnv0011.jpg
by Performance