MonteCarloSS.com
MonteCarloSS.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1057784 - 06/15/18 12:57 PM Speedometer clicking and jumps  
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 562
my86_mc_SS Offline
Member
my86_mc_SS  Offline
Member

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 562
BOZRAH, CT
This issue is more annoying then anything. The speedometer sometimes jumps up 5-8 MPH, and I can hear a clicking noise coming from the dash. After some time it goes back to working properly. I think it may need lube or something. Any suggestions on how to fix it? I think it would be pretty easy.

Thanks,


1988 Monte SS. Everything original with very few mods. K&N air filter, high flow cat, cat-back, 20% tints on doors, 5% the rest. New paint in 2012. dust84xx@hotmail.com
#1057788 - 06/15/18 01:51 PM Re: Speedometer clicking and jumps [Re: my86_mc_SS]  
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 5,361
upflying Offline
15+ Year
upflying  Offline
15+ Year
Member

Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 5,361
Reno, NV
It's the speedometer cable, it's either broken or needs lubrication.
Easy depends on your definition of the word. Working behind the dash while lying on your back with your head on the pedals and looking up may not be so easy. Lot's of stuff in the way as you reach up to disconnect the cable behind the cluster.
And then feeding it out of the firewall and down to the transmission may not be easy either, a lot of tight spaces await your repair effort .
Speedometer cables was meant to be one of those "lifetime of the car" parts. Lifetime when our cars were made is about 10 years. That's why cables are shot after 30 years.

Last edited by upflying; 06/15/18 02:00 PM.

86 MCSS Notchback coupe, LS3, 4L65E, QP 9", Eaton Truetrac, 4 wheel disc, column shift, Dakota Digital, silver with maroon bench interior

[Linked Image]
#1057789 - 06/15/18 02:25 PM Re: Speedometer clicking and jumps [Re: my86_mc_SS]  
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 562
my86_mc_SS Offline
Member
my86_mc_SS  Offline
Member

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 562
BOZRAH, CT
Thanks. I guess annoying and frustrating would be how to describe the job. I don't think it's broken since it does go back working. Is it possible to lube the speedometer cable with out having to disconnect it from the fire wall and tranny┬┐


1988 Monte SS. Everything original with very few mods. K&N air filter, high flow cat, cat-back, 20% tints on doors, 5% the rest. New paint in 2012. dust84xx@hotmail.com
#1057790 - 06/15/18 03:42 PM Re: Speedometer clicking and jumps [Re: my86_mc_SS]  
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 11,341
86ttop Online grandpa
15+ Year
86ttop  Online Grandpa
15+ Year
Member

Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 11,341
Brooksville, Fl
Disconnect it from the speedo head, there is a clip you'll have to depress to remove it, lower the cable housing so you can see it and remove the inner cable. Soak a clean rag with some brake clean or some kind of solvent and drag the core thru it and clean all the old lube off of the core. I use chassis grease, usually the red grease, get a small glob on your hand and push the cable thru it, trans end first as you reinstall it in the housing, try not to get any lube on the top 2 inches so as to keep ot out of the speedo head. When it is completely installed, reconnect it to the speedo head and go for a drive, the cable will go back into the speedo head pretty much without any grief, good luck!! If this doesn't stop the clicking and jumping, you probably need a new cable assembly!


Leo Paugh
It's not an attitude, it's just the way I am.
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
If things improve with age, I must be approaching magnificent. thumbs
#1057793 - 06/15/18 04:34 PM Re: Speedometer clicking and jumps [Re: my86_mc_SS]  
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 909
Hunter79764 Offline
Member
Hunter79764  Offline
Member

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 909
Grand Prairie, Tx
/\ What he said. Try lubing it first, if there is enough restriction then it can heat up or bind up and jump on the speedo, then relax enough to work fine again. Lube it now if you can, less likely to cause any other damage down the road.


Sometimes you just need a bigger hammer...

'85 MC with budget 5.3L swap, TH350 with stock 2.14 rear end
It ain't much off the line, but it's nice on the highway
#1057801 - 06/16/18 01:20 AM Re: Speedometer clicking and jumps [Re: my86_mc_SS]  
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 318
ChasUno Offline
Member
ChasUno  Offline
Member

Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 318
Bradenton, FL
Had this exact same issue with my car recently. Asides from being annoying, it also messed up the cruise operation as the jumpy speedo cable also drives the vehicle speed sensor. My cruise would suffer surging, plus harsh acceleration and deceleration depending on how jumpy the speedo was.

I tried lubing the cable, but that had little effect. A new cable from AutoZone ran to around $14, so it was a no brainer to just replace it. Removing and replacing the cable is more tedious than difficult. Upflying described the procedure well, you will end up in a contortionist position with your head in the driver's footwell while you squeeze your arm/ hand into a tight space to release the lever that holds the cable in place. You will also need to take careful note of the routing, especially where it comes up from under the car/ wheel well, and then snakes around the brake servo. For my car, I also partially removed the driver's side plastic wheel arch to get access between it and the firewall, as that's where part of my cable was routed.

Also take note that the cables vary depending on the year of your Monte. Some require a two piece, some have one piece. The two piece cables are required for cars fitted with a separate VSS, with a smaller cable connecting the VSS to the speedo head. My '86 had a two piece cable fitted, but I don't know why as my car has the VSS directly connected to the back of the speedo. The two cables on my car were joined just below the firewall, where the cable then went down underneath the floor pan. It wasn't even possible to disconnect the two cables when the two were in place, so I can't see any point or reason to have a two piece cable in my car.

I measured the two cables to get the total length. I then did some searching online and found O'Reilly offering a single piece cable of the correct length, and their website also stated that it would fit an '86 MCS. I grabbed the part number and stuck into AutoZone's website (AutoZone are much nearer to my home). AutoZone stated that this part number was NOT suitable for my car! IIRC, when I searched for speedo cables using my car's details, it recommended all sorts of other different cables.

As the O'Reilly single piece cable part number was the same length as my two cables combined, I used their part number and purchased it from AutoZone, even though AutoZone said it wouldn't fit. It fitted absolutely fine once it was threaded back into place. It also erradicated my jumpy speedo and calmed down the cruise operation (no more surging or sudden deceleration).

Therefore, for the small cost of a new cable and the inconvenience of fitting it, I'd recommend the new cable route rather than trying to lube the original. That way you only have to remove and fit it once.

Last edited by ChasUno; 06/16/18 01:27 AM.

1986 Monte Carlo SS

[Linked Image]
#1057855 - 06/19/18 07:45 PM Re: Speedometer clicking and jumps [Re: my86_mc_SS]  
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 562
my86_mc_SS Offline
Member
my86_mc_SS  Offline
Member

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 562
BOZRAH, CT
I was thinking if I am going through all the trouble to remove it and lube it, it may just be easy to replace it with a new one. Good information everyone. Thank you!


1988 Monte SS. Everything original with very few mods. K&N air filter, high flow cat, cat-back, 20% tints on doors, 5% the rest. New paint in 2012. dust84xx@hotmail.com
#1057865 - 06/20/18 01:38 AM Re: Speedometer clicking and jumps [Re: my86_mc_SS]  
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 11,341
86ttop Online grandpa
15+ Year
86ttop  Online Grandpa
15+ Year
Member

Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 11,341
Brooksville, Fl
You're only removing the inner core, removing the complete cable can be a hassle of a job, good luck!


Leo Paugh
It's not an attitude, it's just the way I am.
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
If things improve with age, I must be approaching magnificent. thumbs
#1057872 - 06/20/18 12:48 PM Re: Speedometer clicking and jumps [Re: 86ttop]  
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 562
my86_mc_SS Offline
Member
my86_mc_SS  Offline
Member

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 562
BOZRAH, CT
Originally Posted by 86ttop
You're only removing the inner core, removing the complete cable can be a hassle of a job, good luck!


For some reason, I misunderstood. I was under the impression that the inner cable and outer tube had to be removed. You leave the outer tube installed so when you lube it, then when I reinstall it, the tube will guide the cable back to the tranny. Can the inner cable be removed relatively easy? Do the cable get hung when pulling?


1988 Monte SS. Everything original with very few mods. K&N air filter, high flow cat, cat-back, 20% tints on doors, 5% the rest. New paint in 2012. dust84xx@hotmail.com
#1057877 - 06/20/18 05:34 PM Re: Speedometer clicking and jumps [Re: my86_mc_SS]  
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 909
Hunter79764 Offline
Member
Hunter79764  Offline
Member

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 909
Grand Prairie, Tx
You will have to pull the end of the cable loose, which is about half the job. The other half would be pulling the entire outer sleeve out of the car. The inner should slide out relatively easy once you access it, then lube it and it should insert fairly easy as well, just a little wiggling and spinning. If it hangs up either way, that's probably a sign you need the entire assembly instead of just a lube job, either a kink in the sleeve or some debris or collapse etc.


Sometimes you just need a bigger hammer...

'85 MC with budget 5.3L swap, TH350 with stock 2.14 rear end
It ain't much off the line, but it's nice on the highway
#1059073 - 09/14/18 01:32 PM Re: Speedometer clicking and jumps [Re: ChasUno]  
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 1,274
markg Offline
15+ Year
markg  Offline
15+ Year
Member

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 1,274
nj
Originally Posted by ChasUno
Had this exact same issue with my car recently. Asides from being annoying, it also messed up the cruise operation as the jumpy speedo cable also drives the vehicle speed sensor. My cruise would suffer surging, plus harsh acceleration and deceleration depending on how jumpy the speedo was.

I tried lubing the cable, but that had little effect. A new cable from AutoZone ran to around $14, so it was a no brainer to just replace it. Removing and replacing the cable is more tedious than difficult. Upflying described the procedure well, you will end up in a contortionist position with your head in the driver's footwell while you squeeze your arm/ hand into a tight space to release the lever that holds the cable in place. You will also need to take careful note of the routing, especially where it comes up from under the car/ wheel well, and then snakes around the brake servo. For my car, I also partially removed the driver's side plastic wheel arch to get access between it and the firewall, as that's where part of my cable was routed.

Also take note that the cables vary depending on the year of your Monte. Some require a two piece, some have one piece. The two piece cables are required for cars fitted with a separate VSS, with a smaller cable connecting the VSS to the speedo head. My '86 had a two piece cable fitted, but I don't know why as my car has the VSS directly connected to the back of the speedo. The two cables on my car were joined just below the firewall, where the cable then went down underneath the floor pan. It wasn't even possible to disconnect the two cables when the two were in place, so I can't see any point or reason to have a two piece cable in my car.

I measured the two cables to get the total length. I then did some searching online and found O'Reilly offering a single piece cable of the correct length, and their website also stated that it would fit an '86 MCS. I grabbed the part number and stuck into AutoZone's website (AutoZone are much nearer to my home). AutoZone stated that this part number was NOT suitable for my car! IIRC, when I searched for speedo cables using my car's details, it recommended all sorts of other different cables.

As the O'Reilly single piece cable part number was the same length as my two cables combined, I used their part number and purchased it from AutoZone, even though AutoZone said it wouldn't fit. It fitted absolutely fine once it was threaded back into place. It also erradicated my jumpy speedo and calmed down the cruise operation (no more surging or sudden deceleration).

Therefore, for the small cost of a new cable and the inconvenience of fitting it, I'd recommend the new cable route rather than trying to lube the original. That way you only have to remove and fit it once.


what was the length that you got? autozone has 3 lengths going up to 120 inches


86 ss 86 cl,330hp GM vortec cratemotor-700-r trans worked,ford 9.5 inch rear with 3-50s,custom 3 inch exhaust with flowmasters.
#1059075 - 09/14/18 05:04 PM Re: Speedometer clicking and jumps [Re: markg]  
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 318
ChasUno Offline
Member
ChasUno  Offline
Member

Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 318
Bradenton, FL
Originally Posted by markg


what was the length that you got? autozone has 3 lengths going up to 120 inches



The cable I fitted to my '86 is 100" in length.

Here's the thread detailing it:


http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1057012#Post1057012


1986 Monte Carlo SS

[Linked Image]

Random Images
500/thumbs/100_0878a.JPG
by Rebel87SS
500/thumbs/l_04f0de16757441b43aa16b3694d468d4.jpg
by 396 MonteC
500/thumbs/108_0839.jpg
by montess406
826/thumbs/IMG_1483.JPG
by cj84ss
500/thumbs/Primal_Scream.jpg
by Dominoe
Help MonteCarloSS.com


Recent Contributors
Rob Forbes
techjay
Authorized Vendors
Tell them you saw it
on MonteCarloSS.com!


CustomMonteSSParts.com
Dixie Monte Carlo Depot
GSI Interiors
HRpartsNstuff
Mikes Montes
Savitske Classic & Custom
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0